• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
How do you all feel about V for Vendetta?
It's very adept at seeming much smarter than it really is but is otherwise a very well made and entertaining flick.

The first F4 isn't incompetent but it lacks any ambition beyond being campy and inoffensive. It's a lot like Batman and Robin but not silly enough to be enjoyed ironically.

IconGrist

It's very adept at seeming much smarter than it really is but is otherwise a very well made and entertaining flick.

Hmm. I never felt the movie was trying to come off particularly smart. V had a style to his speech but the plot was pretty straight forward. There definitely was a preachy aspect to it though.

duckroll

MARVELS is pretty much the Marvel version of Kingdom Come right? Both have Alex Ross art. I've never read it. How does it compare to Kingdom Come? Not at as good? I never really hear or read people talking about it.

Marvels is nothing at all like Kingdom Come. Snyder would do a terrible job of adapting it because what makes Marvels work is not the Ross visuals, but the humanity in the narration. It's about a reporter following the dawn of superheroes from pre-WW2 through the decades and providing a civilian view of the major milestones of the Marvel universe. It's really good but people don't talk about it just like how they don't talk about The Marvels Project. Because people have bad taste. The Marvels Project rocks too. Because Ed Brubaker rocks.

BadAss2961

Adewale talks Killer Croc
3FIw4ts.jpg

Akinnuoye-Agbaje’s research into Killer Croc pulled in material from throughout three decades of stories featuring the Batman foe and even looked at real-world crocodiles to study their movements.

“I looked at all of it,” he says. “I went back to the young Waylon Jones. The animated series. I had my own take, too. I researched cannibalism. I actually went out and watched real crocodiles, too. We incorporated some of the real life fight techniques that crocodiles do when they kill their prey. The death roll.”

Speaking of death rolls, Akinnuoye-Agbaje promises that the film’s storyline will definitely feature Killer Croc in the water.

“Oh, you’re going to get more than one water scene!” he laughs. “I’m a croc after all, man. That’s my territory!”
Some more in the link.

Great that he gets a full performance out of this instead of just CGI. If you've seen him in Oz, you know he's perfect for this role.

Ninjimbo

How do you all feel about V for Vendetta?
I love it. Sometimes it can be preachy and overwrought but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've never read the comic so I got nothing to say about it as an adaptation. As a movie, it works on multiple levels for me. Hugo Weaving was perfect and he didn't even use his face.

BadAss2961

Oh I'm taking none of this seriously

I just live for the reactions now.
Yeah, I'll hear out anything at this point with there being no news. Warner should drop developments more often. Give the media something to print instead of just having them sit there and cook up clickbait drama.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! Hold those L's, Superman fans.

strafer is one of the biggest Superman fans here, right? Look at what you have done, Zack!

a916

No idea how to grab IG pictures but Jason Mamoa with his Aquaman tats holding up a sign protesting oil pipelines.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Far worse has been done to Supes than anything Snyder did, lol.

No, GAF told me Snyder is the single, most horrible thing to happen to Superman and movies in general! He is a monster!

BadAss2961

Speaking of Superman, and in the spirit of digging up old interviews, I saw this one brought up. George Miller on Superman. Actually, it's just from last October.

“I think it’s been said many times before: he’s potentially a very boring character because he has no faults," Miller told IGN. "So you really have to find his demons really to get an internal conflict going. You’ve really got to do that. Whether that’s by an external agency or something deep inside himself. You need that conflicted character.
“That’s what made the Greek gods so great. I mean they were jealous, vengeful, hubristic. They had all these things going for them. I think that’s why Batman’s such an interesting character because he’s human, so he’s just like us. He’s relatable, rather than someone who’s just perfect.”
Sounds like he wasn't far off from what Zack's trying to do. Sounds Darker if anything. I know a lot of Superman fans are tired of hearing about him being flawless.

IGN
No idea how to grab IG pictures but Jason Mamoa with his Aquaman tats holding up a sign protesting oil pipelines.

Good to know they're working. lol

I was saw someone post a great little image gallery from Imgur that done a great job of explaining why Martha totally worked. I fully agree with it and thought so before hand but it did a much better job of explaining it all than I can.

Anyone have a link?

Effect

Martha worked because Bruce didnt know his identity. Supes couldnt say "save my mom", he said "save MmMartha (...Kent)"

How this of all things became a meme idk

I honestly believe a number of people really did think it was as simple as the two having mothers with the same name and that was it. That they completely missed everything else around it. Either because they weren't paying attention or simply didn't understand. Due to that they decided to turn it into a joke only to try and save face after it was explained to them by saying they did understand that. No I don't think that was the case at all. I think the context of that situation that was building from the opening of the film completely flew over some peoples heads. It's not a uncommon thing for people to make light or joke about things they didn't understand. You see it all the time.

There was rumor talk (like there always is) before the film came out that WB thought the film or parts of it was to smart for some people and were worried. Many thought that was dumb and rightfully so. That's insulting. However the Martha moment and how some people reacted to it does make it seem like, if that comment was even true, that concern was valid. That's not to say this is a special case. It's just got a big spotlight when it came to this film.

antovolk

My two cents on Martha - Supes says "save Martha" to Bruce *knowing* it'd cut right to the heart for him. His previous attempts to reason with him at the start of the fight failed.

I hope we get this in the UC - but basically in that whole new subplot about Clark going to Gotham and investigating Batman & finding out he's Bruce they can highlight Clark discovering at *that* point their mothers have the same name. If played right, can shine a new light onto that whole scene.

There are a lot of explanations/clarifications for Batman reacting to it the way he did, and that's set up really well within the film. The potential problem comes from Superman's side.

I thought Bruce knew Clark was superman in the movie. Guess I was wrong.

Although I kinda hate how Lex already knows their secret identity for everybody basically.

In fairness the execution is sloppy. I'll admit, there are layers to it I didn't get when I watched. But even at face value, believing it's what became the meme? No judgements. Got nothing on theories on TDKRises. Ra's was a g-g-g-g-ghost!

SJRB

Gold Member
All Snyder had to do was include a two-minute sequence where Superman x-rays Batman [during the sequence where they first meet, for example], understanding it's Bruce Wayne and then a scene where Clark Kent does background research on Bruce Wayne and reads an old article about Martha and Thomas Wayne. Subtle camera zoom in on the article and the name Martha.

Boom, there you go. Completely fixed the awkward finale of the fight because now there's context.

Dead

well not really...yet
All Snyder had to do was include a two-minute sequence where Superman x-rays Batman [during the sequence where they first meet, for example], understanding it's Bruce Wayne and then a scene where Clark Kent does background research on Bruce Wayne and reads an old article about Martha and Thomas Wayne. Subtle camera zoom in on the article and the name Martha.

Boom, there you go. Completely fixed the awkward finale of the fight because now there's context.
robs the scene of meaning, making Superman exploit Batman's psychosis for a selfish means, rather than Superman resigning himself to die while at the same time pleading to the man about to kill him to save someone in spite of his current actions.

Clark had an idea that Bruce was someone else from the dinner party.

IconGrist

robs the scene of meaning, making Superman exploit Batman's psychosis for a selfish means, rather than Superman resigning himself to die while at the same time pleading to the man about to kill him to save someone in spite of his current actions.

This. You turn Superman's actions to selfish instead of selfless by telling the audience he said Martha on purpose.

Raptor

Agreed.

My boy Kal is awesome, baby!!

a916

This.

He doesn't say stop no don't kill me. Nope, his first thought is his mother with no regard for his own safety/life.

antovolk

That's precisely what I think we're getting in the extended cut with the whole Clark investigating Batman stuff. Which then leads into the party where they first meet face to face - at that point Clark knows he's Batman.

Hmm, where'd they sample that from?

HD Chinese bootleg recording.

antovolk

On the selfish/selfless point - it kills two birds with one stone right because Martha Kent is still being kidnapped and he's saying that to save his mother......the reason why he says save Martha instead of 'save my mother' is because the former will get to Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom