• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Tobor

neojubei said:
Since the servers are down I'll watch a bit of Superman/Batman Apocalypse

I'll add you and tobor as well.

Level 30 should at least give u a power like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/rashonmon/48413c74.jpg[/IMG]
I shall accept your invite, good sir.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
SpiderJerusalem said:
Should I try that for a second weapon? I have bows and I love it but sometimes I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing on controller. I was sitting on like 15 skill points i think.
My other two characters used a staff and martial arts.

In close they're nice, but if you're more accustomed to keep away, spacing, and all that good stuff then the rifle is your buddy.

(Also, I've got a bad habit of mashing from Ultimate Alliance - the fact that you can just move the stick to roll switch from combo to combo is a big plus for me).

I'd love for more details on powers/roles though...

ferr

I'm liking keyboard controls over using the 360 pad for PC. Super-super speed (speed force?) is much easier to control with a mouse for one. Not having to hold a button down to use an ability is slightly easier. I'm probably being stubborn about it, though.

Xater said:
Your character looks like the bad guy from a sentai show. :D

Now that you mention it he kinda does. The head / Feet are very sentai villain fitting. Also I just got my first epic! Brother Eye dropped it for me in a duo, man it looks stupid, turns my head into a mini Unicron thing (that world eating transformer egg).

icechai

DY_nasty said:
People are sleeping on Rifles too.

As a controller, there's nothing better. Mortar/Flamethrower/Kickflip/Stunroll - Square button is for suckers

read previous post WonkyPanda did of a mmorpg.com post about fighting explained. Its a rock paper scissors and you can't rely on one attack or block, as if you constantly range attack, i'll just flying axe kick you which will result in stun, then unleash my mental DoTs and go into a kungfu frenzy :p

Again thanks for the repost WonkyPanda, last night I was killing multiple villains 4-5 levels higher than me. Ran down buildings super speed and jumped into my civilian mode, knocked off 1/5 of their life with my sneak attack, and countered/broke all their defenses/attacks after. :D

We really need to get a Legion going on Death & Glory, alerts are so much more awesome when they're organized or done with people who are talking to each other.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kind of a silly question, but how do you click on elements of the screen. like for example there's a notification area that is now on default and it looks like there's stuff under combat but i don't know how to get to that tab same for the little mail icon (pc) thanks

hermit7

AstroLad said:
kind of a silly question, but how do you click on elements of the screen. like for example there's a notification area that is now on default and it looks like there's stuff under combat but i don't know how to get to that tab same for the little mail icon (pc) thanks
For mail you need to go to headquarters and check your mail box. They are all indicators. Another example is when you are queued for an alert.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
icechai said:
read previous post WonkyPanda did of a mmorpg.com post about fighting explained. Its a rock paper scissors and you can't rely on one attack or block, as if you constantly range attack, i'll just flying axe kick you which will result in stun, then unleash my mental DoTs and go into a kungfu frenzy :p
Outside of the one skill point you need for interrupts with the rifle, everything is else is centered around knockback/stun/roll+spacing. In any PVP fight bigger than 2v2, a controller/rifle is a bitch and a half. Being able to drop mortars from the air is just dirty.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AstroLad said:
For the chat window, press enter on the keyboard/back on 360 pad to change the focus to the chat window. The bumpers on the pad should let you change tabs.

MC Safety

Killthee said:
1.) It basically forces the enemy to spawn at a spawn/rally point. If you're an ally and you press circle, it'll give the player the option to respawn in the same spot with a little bit of health instead of respawning at the rally point with full health.

2.) You can't. You can create a new character on a new server, but you can't migrate an existing character to another server right now.

Thanks.

It's weird they wouldn't let you switch. Or maybe it's not weird and just an MMO convention.

DY_nasty said:
Outside of the one skill point you need for interrupts with the rifle, everything is else is centered around knockback/stun/roll+spacing. In any PVP fight bigger than 2v2, a controller/rifle is a bitch and a half. Being able to drop mortars from the air is just dirty.

And so starts the long bitter process of PVP balancing! It took WOW 6 years to start getting it right :\

Nishastra

Banned
Ahh, the joys of starting a game early on. Got one of my favorite names, time to see if I can't grab some more.

I haven't really played at all yet, but I love the character I ended up with. I spent like an hour and a half making my character and then I alt-tabbed out for some reason, and the game seems completely incapable of recovering from that :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hermit7 said:
For mail you need to go to headquarters and check your mail box. They are all indicators. Another example is when you are queued for an alert.
Ah ok yeah, just noticed that pretty much every button on the pad does something.

Chriswok said:
And so starts the long bitter process of PVP balancing! It took WOW 6 years to start getting it right :\

Its pretty balanced atm, nothing seems to outshine anything else. The way pvp works makes it very hard for 1 thing to be 2x better than something else, its all about learning what you should be blocking and what you should not. The main problem with pvp is that 2v1 you will get stunlocked to death everytime and certain weapons are better in pvp than others. The ability to dodge and block attacks makes balance alot less number dependant and more skill based.

ChronicleX said:
Its pretty balanced atm, nothing seems to outshine anything else. The way pvp works makes it very hard for 1 thing to be 2x better than something else, its all about learning what you should be blocking and what you should not. The main problem with pvp is that 2v1 you will get stunlocked to death everytime and certain weapons are better in pvp than others. The ability to dodge and block attacks makes balance alot less number dependant and more skill based.

Good to hear, look forward to giving it a go. How many character slots to you get?

Chriswok said:
Good to hear, look forward to giving it a go. How many character slots to you get?

IIRC 6. Because of how the weapon combat is too each character you make has alot of replay value, since you can always respec into a new weapon to use when you get bored with the only restriction being getting the weapon you want to use. However luckily you can do some pvp and buy one from a vendor (its level 24 blue but its better than nothing).

Bah, spoke to a GM about my level 30 flier feat/trophy issue, and he said at this time they don't have the ability to reward the feats to players so I'm basically assed out unless I do it again. :(

...time for my 3rd 30!

jk

EDIT: @ below, check the On Duty menu. There'll be new Instances (Arenas, etc.).

Nishastra

Banned
I really like the feel of this game. My only problem is that my controller kind of sucks. I was using a PS2 controller, but for some reason the game doesn't recognize the right stick properly, and can only read it as doing up-left and down-right, which isn't very useful :p

Now I'm using a Logitech thing which is generally fine, but the analogs have square gates rather than circular ones, so it's really easy to turn way faster than I intend.

I've made two characters, but I'm about to remake them as I think their names would better fit on each other.

6JHPR.png

Here's the one I've been playing, a Gadgets/Brawling Robo-girl :p

MGrant

JWong said:
"New Instance Available: Press Y..."

Okay, I press Y and I can't find what it's telling me to do.

You have to meet the level requirement and, in the case of legends pvp, you need to unlock at least one character. Pretty obtuse, I know, but the game in its current state doesn't tell you much about anything.

Killthee

ChronicleX said:
The video they posted was wrong. You're given 16 character slots per account on the PS3 and probably the same number on PC.

JWong said:
"New Instance Available: Press Y..."

Okay, I press Y and I can't find what it's telling me to do.
Exit all the menu's -> Press Y on the keyboard or open your menu and select the On Duty menu (the fist) -> Alerts -> Queue up for an instance.

JWong

Banned
My god, that message will stay there until I get to level 9?

Anyways... I can't connect to the character list or something...

Hawk269

Roude Leiw said:
yeah i'd like a trial code too if someone has one which he doesn't need (PC).

You need the disks as well though. I have a code, but it wont do you any good unless you know someone that has the disks to load it on your comp.

Hawk269

AstroLad said:
oh okay should be no problem for me i always call them by their ps names even tho i play way more 360 at this point

Actually when you are playing with the 360 pad, the buttons are labled 1-4, X=1, a+2 etc. Pretty simple to understand and they even are color coded to the 360 colors.

CaLe

My first villain, Grimace:

xclp1w.jpg

Haven't been playing this game much since I've really been busy these past few days... Can't wait to fully commit myself to it.

Hawk269

I decided to make another character and as much I dont want to admit this, I did not realize I picked a PVP server. I kept going to the menu to turn it off and was wondering what the skull icon was next to my health bar....only to later find out it was that I had picked a PVP server...lol.

But..that is not the main reason for this post....since I accidently picked a PVP server, I found that it is so much more fun. It was a blast helping others, and then being attacked by villans at random and vice versa. Being low level, I got my ass kicked alot. At one point 2 Level 30 Characters would invade near the heroes Police HQ. We had a bunch of leve 4-12 people trying to fend off 2 level 30's. We were successful twice in beating them down, but there was like 12 of us, versus 2 of them and we all died numerous times...but was a blast.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there actually like a manual or anything? I figured out hitting A makes you fly up but I don't think that was mentioned anywhere. Seem to be missing some little things. Steam version btw.

Had fun getting through Grodd's mission so far. This is pretty much purely solo until I figure out the absolute basics like the above.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
AstroLad said:
Is there actually like a manual or anything? I figured out hitting A makes you fly up but I don't think that was mentioned anywhere. Seem to be missing some little things. Steam version btw.

Had fun getting through Grodd's mission so far. This is pretty much purely solo until I figure out the absolute basics like the above.

You can go solo or do the mission in a group.

Killthee

AstroLad said:

Here you go:

Tobor

I can't get the PS3 voice chat to work to save my life. I was grouped with a friend and we couldn't get it to do anything. The mica worked fine, we were able to talk from the PS3 menu. Very frustrating as neither of us have keyboards.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Tobor said:
My current character is named Tobor.

Cool thanks.

Yeah voice chat seems to be an off and on again experience. When i first tried voice chat it was good but since then stopped working.

Nishastra

Banned
I can't connect to the official forums, either :p

I had been messing around in character creation on one of the remaining servers, but then those went down too.

Raoh

Subject: US Server Downtime January 16th

The US Servers will come down at 4AM PT for server maintenance to improve stability. Downtime is anticipated to be approximately two hours. As these changes are completely on the server side, there is no patch for players to download.

Subject: EU Server Downtime January 16th

The EU Servers will come down at 4AM GMT for server maintenance to improve stability. Downtime is anticipated to be approximately two hours. As these changes are completely on the server side, there is no patch for players to download.

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuops3/posts/list.m?topic_id=5074

Top Bottom