• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

OMG I am tempted to play this.

So how do you make characters exactly. How are powers decided? I see a bunch of options in the OP.

Can I have a super-speedster who can freeze his foes and shoot arrows at them?

Xater

BudokaiMR2 said:
OMG I am tempted to play this.

So how do you make characters exactly. How are powers decided? I see a bunch of options in the OP.

Can I have a super-speedster who can freeze his foes and shoot arrows at them?

Yes.

I see that the PC version is region free. I think that basically rules it out over the PS3 one.

Does it come with a free month or anything to start off?

DY_nasty said:
World Down!

...I was at the end of an alert too. fuuuu, etc.

Ha, I was too. Which one?

I'm so addicted to this game, I don't think I've ever been so glued to an MMO before, and I've played a lot of them. The voice acting and exploration quests really give it a "proper" game feel that many MMOs lack.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BudokaiMR2 said:
I see that the PC version is region free. I think that basically rules it out over the PS3 one.

Does it come with a free month or anything to start off?
I'm on PS3 - yeah. I think the PC version does too though.
lastplayed said:
Ha, I was too. Which one?
Countdown I think.

DY_nasty

lastplayed said:
I was just about to finish Area 51, the last boss I think.
Was I playing with you? lol

I had a mental/rifle villain. Comrade Rose. She had a soviet-ish them goin on. lvl 14

DY_nasty said:
Was I playing with you? lol

I had a mental/rifle villain. Comrade Rose. She had a soviet-ish them goin on. lvl 14

No we had four dudes in our party, would have been a hell of a coincidence though. XD

DY_nasty

lastplayed said:
No we had four dudes in our party, would have been a hell of a coincidence though. XD
lol, thats just be too wild

I wish there was a better description somewhere when it came to roles and power combinations. I'd like to take up the control role, but its pretty unclear sometimes what you can and can't do.

DY_nasty said:
lol, thats just be too wild

I wish there was a better description somewhere when it came to roles and power combinations. I'd like to take up the control role, but its pretty unclear sometimes what you can and can't do.

That'll just come from the community eventually. It's funny seeing so many clueless people in the game, I've never really started an MMO so early before.

I've finally decided on my main. I ditched my original Capt Marvel rip-off and made a new one with ice+brawling, which is basically Superman's template.

Name: Marvel II
Server: Zero Hour (which reminds me I gotta join the GAF group)

2523-mmet101_audio-pc-16-20.23.400.jpg

2527-mmet101_audio-pc-16-20.04.520.jpg

Also another alt I'm experimenting with: Typhoon (staff + gadgets)

2526-mgot101_skybox-pc-16-17.39.060.jpg

Raiden

Banned
Goddamn it, recently i canceled my WOW subscription cause i got bored with it, im on a PS
streak now, playing Uncharted, Gran Turismo and God of War. I think im gonna add this one to my list!

Just have one moronic question, i only played WoW as an MMO, im pretty open minded to games though, you think people like me coming from WoW are gonna like this?

Randy

The more I play this game, the more fun I have. I really like the combatsystem and sincerely do hope that there won't be one cookie-cutter build for each "class". The diversity in skills and the limitation of skills on your skillbar is what makes this game so great.

Doing a bit of parcours in Metropolis also doesn't seem to get old. Loving the voice-acting too and the comicbook cutscenes are very well done. Best 28 euro I've spent this year.

demonkaze

Any ideas if there are any GAF leagues for either hero or villain on the Death & Glory PvP server? Starting to think I may get bored of a PvE server at Lv 30, already noticed when playing that it would be nice to attack villains whenever I come across them.

Well I was hoping to get into this tonight but amazon seems to be having trouble processing my order.

Well damn. Maybe it will go through in the next hour.

Sblargh

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Thats the big question, I have a sneaking suspicion they will, the quality of the quests and areas so far has impressed me greatly (haven't been this impressed since my first MMO, SW Galaxies)

I just sit here thinking about what new stuff they can add, new mentors with unique storylines, new extra missions, new raids, new alerts, new areas of the cities, maybe even some kind of gambling area where you can make extra money/marks, i've got faith they are going to support it.

DC has so many characters and location that if the devs are up to it, they can keep creating new stuff forever. And would be nice to have some events inspired by storylines too. I just read Legends, from 1986, and in that storyline; Darkseid plants a demagogue who manipulate the population into hating the heroes.
Imagine if during one week or so, besides doing what you have to do, you have to deal with random pedestrians attacking you or something.

Nishastra

Banned
Does anyone have a PC trial key thing they wouldn't mind giving me? I really want to play this, but I can't buy it for a few more days :p

Yeah I would love a trial too. I was hoping to get this download going before I went to bed at least :( But Amazon doesn't seem to want to process my order :mad:

I deleted my character off of Redemption in an effort to get on a lower pop server. All of the servers show high pops now, but it was during peak hours so maybe it'll get better. I now have a dual pistol, gadget using, super speed giant who got lost shortly after entering Gotham. I teleported to the watchtower and zoomed around there for about 30 minutes before finding a port back to the diamond district in Gotham. I raced around the city until I found the correct starting point, but before logging off, I competed in one of the races. It was a lot of fun and I'm finding that this game really facilitates a casual approach. I'm loving it.

Sblargh said:
DC has so many characters and location that if the devs are up to it, they can keep creating new stuff forever. And would be nice to have some events inspired by storylines too. I just read Legends, from 1986, and in that storyline; Darkseid plants a demagogue who manipulate the population into hating the heroes.
Imagine if during one week or so, besides doing what you have to do, you have to deal with random pedestrians attacking you or something.

Haha that would be awesome, the whole of Gotham and Metropolis after the heroes and villains blood!

Just got the green lantern hoodie from the vault, thanks vault!

bill0527

Raiden said:
Goddamn it, recently i canceled my WOW subscription cause i got bored with it, im on a PS
streak now, playing Uncharted, Gran Turismo and God of War. I think im gonna add this one to my list!

Just have one moronic question, i only played WoW as an MMO, im pretty open minded to games though, you think people like me coming from WoW are gonna like this?

I've played WoW off and on since it launched. This game hasn't really sucked me in yet because I'm at the early levels. It's just mindless button mashing so far. I'm not sure if the game has the depth of wow at max level in terms of fine tuning your stats, gear, and learning the right rotations.

bill0527 said:
I've played WoW off and on since it launched. This game hasn't really sucked me in yet because I'm at the early levels. It's just mindless button mashing so far. I'm not sure if the game has the depth of wow at max level in terms of fine tuning your stats, gear, and learning the right rotations.

Which will hopefully mean a less stat obsessed community.

Foxix Von

So this totally snuck up on me. I totally ignored this game as I thought it was... well just the same kind of thing all over again. The combat system looks awesome though and I'm really interested in this.

One sort of make it or break it question though. On the PS3 version how are the options for UI placement and size? My tv has overscan (no setting to change it) and the only shots I've seen are of the pc version which has, as expected, all of the menus tucked away in the corners of the screen.

Bajan32

hey guys this may be a stupid question but i somehow warped to metropolis and i cant figure out how the hell to get back to gotham.. how do i get home?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Foxix said:
So this totally snuck up on me. I totally ignored this game as I thought it was... well just the same kind of thing all over again. The combat system looks awesome though and I'm really interested in this.

One sort of make it or break it question though. On the PS3 version how are the options for UI placement and size? My tv has overscan (no setting to change it) and the only shots I've seen are of the pc version which has, as expected, all of the menus tucked away in the corners of the screen.
You'll be fine. My plasma has overscan and everything in the screen is easily readable and I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the slight overscan.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I redid the PS3 submission form/database and made it a little bit cleaner (N.A. | Euro). Also added a column for Roles/Powers and removed the comments column. For anyone who left their role/power in the comment column, I updated their entry with it. Everyone else I left blank, if you want me to add the info send me a P.M.

Foxix said:

There's a UI scale slider that expands/shrinks the HUD. My TV also has some overscan, but it looks fine after adjusting the slider. Be aware that the slider will also scale all the menus and if you're TV is small you might have some issues if you shrink the UI too much.

Bajan32 said:
hey guys this may be a stupid question but i somehow warped to metropolis and i cant figure out how the hell to get back to gotham.. how do i get home?
HQ (Watchtower/Hall of Doom) has teleports to all the safehouses in both cities. Go to a safehouse to teleport to HQ or use the map. Then look for a teleport to Gotham (the Tech WIng in HQ should have one).

Foxix Von

Killthee said:
I redid the PS3 submission form/database and made it a little bit cleaner (N.A. | Euro). Also added a column for Roles/Powers and removed the comments column. For anyone who left their role/power in the comment column, I updated their entry with it. Everyone else I left blank, if you want me to add the info send me a P.M.

There's a UI scale slider that expands/shrinks the HUD. My TV also has some overscan, but it looks fine after adjusting the slider. Be aware that the slider will also scale all the menus and if you're TV is small you might have some issues if you shrink the UI too much.

HQ (Watchtower/Hall of Doom) has teleports to all the safehouses in both cities. Go to a safehouse to teleport to HQ or use the map. Then look for a teleport to Gotham (the Tech WIng in HQ should have one).

Thanks, well I'm going to see how things go this week and if everything is gravy I'll probably pick it up. I play on a 20" and the overscan is more than just "slight." So yeah, it's minuscule but I sit close and have always thought of it as a god awful monitor more than a TV. Hopefully it won't be an issue =/

Oh and I'm not sure if it was posted or maybe I skimmed over it in the OP but while there's no reviews up yet, IGN does have ongoing impressions of the game here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143429p1.html

I think i'm playing it wrong. Or i fucked up my "build" or something. When i try to tackle something my level, i get crushed more often than not. I tried that monkey planet thing or whatever (ultra human something, lvl14, which was my level), and the last boss fucked our shit up continuously. We managed to make a dent after 30 minutes, but then he healed himself.
fuck.this.shit

I'd have to treck back from the spawn area, which took roughly 3 or 4 minutes, then i'd get to the boss area, get mobbed by 7 or 8 giant monkeys, survive for 5 secs tops.
Rinse, repeat.

I kinda whish this was an offline action game. The mm aspect of it isn't really doing anything for me. And the lag, jitteriness of everything is sometimes hard to bear. Areas with a lot of players are just too fucking spastic. All i see is characters and monsters and other various npcs teleporting left and right.... i get credit for shit i dont do, i get attacked by invisible... something or other.... i wack at something for 30 secs, its health doesn't budge, then it insta dies...

Is this a case of servers getting hammered by early peaks of population? I'm still hoping it'll get better.

The game is overall kinda fun, but i wish it didn't feel half broken half the time. (PS3, euro servers)

Ha, we were trying that Bludhaven alert and couldn't even get past the first set of mutants. sick
Also sucks we couldn't finish the Oolong one because the Tornado guy was locked inside the room with us outside it.

The style of even the basic items are starting to impress me. Shame a bunch of stuff I have has been skipped as its been for healer/controller. I really wish you could just take the "style" of drops you can't use but awe well. At Least I got me a pair of........

DRAGON HEAD SHOES! FUCK YEAH!!

t5jcr7.jpg

Tobor

Foxix said:
Thanks, well I'm going to see how things go this week and if everything is gravy I'll probably pick it up. I play on a 20" and the overscan is more than just "slight." So yeah, it's minuscule but I sit close and have always thought of it as a god awful monitor more than a TV. Hopefully it won't be an issue =/

Oh and I'm not sure if it was posted or maybe I skimmed over it in the OP but while there's no reviews up yet, IGN does have ongoing impressions of the game here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143429p1.html
The overscan on my LG HD CRT is the worst I've ever seen, and the slider was able to fix it for me. You'll be fine.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I would love a trial too. I was hoping to get this download going before I went to bed at least :( But Amazon doesn't seem to want to process my order :mad:

yeah i'd like a trial code too if someone has one which he doesn't need (PC).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Fistwell said:
I think i'm playing it wrong. Or i fucked up my "build" or something. When i try to tackle something my level, i get crushed more often than not. I tried that monkey planet thing or whatever (ultra human something, lvl14, which was my level), and the last boss fucked our shit up continuously. We managed to make a dent after 30 minutes, but then he healed himself.
fuck.this.shit

I'd have to treck back from the spawn area, which took roughly 3 or 4 minutes, then i'd get to the boss area, get mobbed by 7 or 8 giant monkeys, survive for 5 secs tops.
Rinse, repeat.

I kinda whish this was an offline action game. The mm aspect of it isn't really doing anything for me. And the lag, jitteriness of everything is sometimes hard to bear. Areas with a lot of players are just too fucking spastic. All i see is characters and monsters and other various npcs teleporting left and right.... i get credit for shit i dont do, i get attacked by invisible... something or other.... i wack at something for 30 secs, its health doesn't budge, then it insta dies...

Is this a case of servers getting hammered by early peaks of population? I'm still hoping it'll get better.

The game is overall kinda fun, but i wish it didn't feel half broken half the time. (PS3, euro servers)
Those Alerts require you to work as a group and for at least a couple of people to play in their support roles. You'll have a hard time completing them if you don't have support characters.

As for the lag, I'm not getting that at all in the U.S.. Which server are you playing on? The last two EU servers they added are actually located in the U.S. right now.

Killthee said:
Those Alerts require you to work as a group and for at least a couple of people to play in their support roles. You'll have a hard time completing them if you don't have support characters.

As for the lag, I'm not getting that at all in the U.S.. Which server are you playing on? The last two EU servers they added are actually located in the U.S. right now.
Yeah i was a healer, and i actually was trying to heal people. When i wasn't busy getting back to the frontline after spawning. I'm playing on for all seasons.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AstroLad said:
are there any official reviews of this yet? wanted to give it a shot but i'd like to read a review or two
In all honesty, I would just read this thread a little. I'm not the most versed person in MMO's but this one is probably the most addictive one I've played yet. Plus you have folks that are used to the other MMO's and pass judgements for it being different. All I can tell you is that it's very fun and with proper support, it will have good legs.

JWong

Banned
Is there any option to hide armor?

Edit: Oh god, nm... I just become naked once I take off my armor. What was the point of that gear selection in the character creation?

Xater

ChronicleX said:
The style of even the basic items are starting to impress me. Shame a bunch of stuff I have has been skipped as its been for healer/controller. I really wish you could just take the "style" of drops you can't use but awe well. At Least I got me a pair of........

DRAGON HEAD SHOES! FUCK YEAH!!

http://i56.tinypic.com/t5jcr7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Your character looks like the bad guy from a sentai show. :D

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Do the GAF heroes on the Redemption server have a league running yet?
JWong said:

Edit: Oh god, nm... I just become naked once I take off my armor. What was the point of that gear selection in the character creation?
Style menu will allow you to hide the armor.

Tobor

JWong said:
Absolutely. You can turn on or off the appearance of any equipment, and not only that, you can choose the style of any equipment you've ever owned, even if you sell it. Every MMO should have this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
LiquidMetal14 said:
In all honesty, I would just read this thread a little. I'm not the most versed person in MMO's but this one is probably the most addictive one I've played yet. Plus you have folks that are used to the other MMO's and pass judgements for it being different. All I can tell you is that it's very fun and with proper support, it will have good legs.
hmm okay i'll give it a shot. what server or gaf clan do i need to join or whatever never played an mmo before. this is on pc btw

Effect

Interesting. I thought missions would mainly be going from hub to hub but it's nice that there are missions givers spread around. I found a few for The Hive mission line. The only reason I found them was because I was simply flying around the various buildings for the hell of it. Then I saw some on the roofs. Finding the icons for the various story collections have been a challenge as well. You won't see them at all if you don't take the time to actually explore different streets, roofs, parks, and even balconies of buildings. Flight makes it easier but even then you have to fly near the street level not above the buildings as you won't see then. It's worth doing simply because the areas are designed so well but also because you can get some decent rewards from them. I've also found random thugs trying to break into buildings, robbing people, etc that you can stop if you feel so inclined. I do wish like City of Heroes and Champions Online that they'd have npcs thank you afterwards are comment on you instead of just yelling for help in the strangest places.

I think the welcome to the watchtower mission is broken. Its telling me to go to the central hub and access the console but the darn teleporter wont let me in. >:-(

Effect

AmericanNinja said:
I think the welcome to the watchtower mission is broken. Its telling me to go to the central hub and access the console but the darn teleporter wont let me in. >:-(

Did that last night without any trouble. Might want to try zoning out of the area you are in and then going back to try the teleporter.

Shurs

So, yeah, I 'm gonna pick this up on PS3.

According to the Kmart Rep on CAG, the week starting 1/30, Kmart is supposed to be offering $15 off DCUO. I'll get it then.

Top Bottom