• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Alias03

CaLe said:
Just got done watching the Giant Bomb quick look.

It's as if these guys take a guilty pleasure in bashing a developer and their game, without even trying to like it, just in order to sound "cool".

Thats exactly what I was thinking as I was watching it

yencid

Damn this thread is really making me want to jump back in... But im broke :(

This was me in the beta

1zqzqdw.jpg

Bajan32

Just curious. Ist it a good idea to just stick to one weapon? Or should I branch out. I'm lvl 10 now and using staff. Was thinking of unlocking some form of med to long range attacks. Are you guys doing multiple weapons?

TheExodu5

Banned
So any actual impressions? Is there some depth to the game here? Does the game facilitate cooperative play?

I'm curious...but am afraid this might end up being another Star Trek Online.

Hawk269

Been trying to play on and off all day today and nothing but problems...I understand that MMO's have growing pains, especially in the first few weeks, but still does not change the fact that I had today off and wanted to play and I cant!

I dunno if this is how it works, but...

If there is anyone out there with a free trial "buddy" code for the PC version they don't need, I'd love to try this game out.

I played City of Heroes for like a year and really enjoyed it, and this seems to be a better game as far as action is concerned

Tendo said:
After the GB quick look I'm very interested but still unsure. Champions last year was awesome for a week then just got boring...Is the crafting system decent? What is there in way of instancing/ end game content?

No crafting system. Their instancing is done like WoW's recently added LFG thing. You can either queue for 1 randomly and hope (not wise but sometimes works) or get a group and then join. Whenever you are done it always returns you to the point you left off.

ATM from what I can see. Endgame is

--Challenge mode solo dungeons. Give level 30 items, lowest end. Each boss seems to have 1 very rare epic you can hope drops.

--Duo Dungeons, There are 4 and are pretty challenging. The cool thing is nearly every class/role can go and do well, though some better than others. Tank/Healer ofc is the EZ mode but I have done it was 2x fire tanks, using skills to heal with correct barrel use for the extra healing etc. It was actually really fun. Drops level 30 loot and mid-range blues, some rare epic drops. Rewards tokens used to buy T1 Armour.

--Hard Mode Dungeons. There are 4 atm and give high end level 30 loot, pretty much this games version of a "Heroic Dungeon". Its really fun but it is dead important you have 1 of each class and everyone knows how to play it. Tanks need to know when to block/dodge and hold agro, healers need to heal (duh), dps needs to focus down targets and the controller needs to support with disables and keeping everyones powerbars topped up. Rewards T1 armour tokens

--Raids. Not done yet but there around 6-8 that I have spotted, some 4 person (like a super heroic) and others 8. It suggests you have X stat before joining them but does not restrict you. No idea what drops, I am not geared up to go yet. Rewards T2 armour tokens.

--Item Set Hunting. Once some kind of WoWhead for this game appears you can then start grinding for item parts you like the look off off the above content or grind mobs in certain areas etc. When the games AH is added, you can also do it for a profit. I already know a place that has a 100% chance to drop Insectoid Helms for example.

--Completing Feats. This games version of Achievement hunting, but there is a real incentive here for it. Every 100 feat points gives you 1 extra skillpoint to use, really handy. Theres tons of stuff todo, this game has a ton of shit to find around the large cities that rivals crackdown on how many there are and how hard they are to find.

--PvP. I not done much of this but there are several modes of normal pvp, pvp world events and the legends pvp stuff.

--Any other random stuff you fancy, being quests you missed, bounty's in the world, race challenges or just zooming around fighting random heroes/villains. World PvP is so satisfying in this game as your target can always run away, fight back or if your not careful kill you, even if they are 10 levels lower.

I recently got to 85 in Cataclysm and when I got there is felt like I had done everything, that the heroics were just a gear grind on repeat. Not so with this game, since combat is not a "Macro best DPS rotation", I am having fun even doing the same stuff over again. This game has only been out a week, bunch of problems, the odd bug here/there but its just that, the first week of a new game and it has all this stuff todo. Plus while gear is important its not super vital like in WoW, its all about skill meaning if you know how to play everyone will be able to experience the content, not just the hardcore no-lifers.

This post lasted alot longer than I originally intended it to. Ha.

TheExodu5 said:
So after reading the OP...why would you ever pick speed/acrobatics over flying?

Better combat powers. better in combat. Flying when under attack you slow to a crawl and can't go anywhere fast. You need to try and roll behind a building in order to get the 5 seconds needed to allow you to fly proper. You can also get knocked out of flight by a ton of attecks. Super speed / Acrobatics does not have this problem. If it wasn't for me trying to roleplay an Orbital Frame, I would of taken Acrobatics like I did in beta. Flight is really the PvE power, its easier to get barrels to throw or stay out of a mobs way when you are in the sky. A must for healers IMO.

Tendo

ChronicleX said:
No crafting system. Their instancing is done like WoW's recently added LFG thing. You can either queue for 1 randomly and hope (not wise but sometimes works) or get a group and then join. Whenever you are done it always returns you to the point you left off.

--Challenge mode solo dungeons. Give level 30 items, lowest end. Each boss seems to have 1 very rare epic you can hope drops.

--Duo Dungeons, There are 4 and are pretty challenging. The cool thing is nearly every class/role can go and do well, though some better than others. Tank/Healer ofc is the EZ mode but I have done it was 2x fire tanks, using skills to heal with correct barrel use for the extra healing etc. It was actually really fun. Drops level 30 loot and mid-range blues, some rare epic drops. Rewards tokens used to buy T1 Armour.

--Hard Mode Dungeons. There are 4 atm and give high end level 30 loot, pretty much this games version of a "Heroic Dungeon". Its really fun but it is dead important you have 1 of each class and everyone knows how to play it. Tanks need to know when to block/dodge and hold agro, healers need to heal (duh), dps needs to focus down targets and the controller needs to support with disables and keeping everyones powerbars topped up. Rewards T1 armour tokens

--Raids. Not done yet but there around 6-8 that I have spotted, some 4 person (like a super heroic) and others 8. It suggests you have X stat before joining them but does not restrict you. No idea what drops, I am not geared up to go yet. Rewards T2 armour tokens.

--Item Set Hunting. Once some kind of WoWhead for this game appears you can then start grinding for item parts you like the look off off the above content or grind mobs in certain areas etc. When the games AH is added, you can also do it for a profit. I already know a place that has a 100% chance to drop Insectoid Helms for example.

--Completing Feats. This games version of Achievement hunting, but there is a real incentive here for it. Every 100 feat points gives you 1 extra skillpoint to use, really handy. Theres tons of stuff todo, this game has a ton of shit to find around the large cities that rivals crackdown on how many there are and how hard they are to find.

--PvP. I not done much of this but there are several modes of normal pvp, pvp world events and the legends pvp stuff.

--Any other random stuff you fancy, being quests you missed, bounty's in the world, race challenges or just zooming around fighting random heroes/villains. World PvP is so satisfying in this game as your target can always run away, fight back or if your not careful kill you, even if they are 10 levels lower.

I recently got to 85 in Cataclysm and when I got there is felt like I had done everything, that the heroics were just a gear grind on repeat. Not so with this game, since combat is not a "Macro best DPS rotation", I am having fun even doing the same stuff over again. This game has only been out a week, bunch of problems, the odd bug here/there but its just that, the first week of a new game and it has all this stuff todo. Plus while gear is important its not super vital like in WoW, its all about skill meaning if you know how to play everyone will be able to experience the content, not just the hardcore no-lifers.

Better combat powers. better in combat. Flying when under attack you slow to a crawl and can't go anywhere fast. You need to try and roll behind a building in order to get the 5 seconds needed to allow you to fly proper. You can also get knocked out of flight by a ton of attecks. Super speed / Acrobatics does not have this problem. If it wasn't for me trying to roleplay an Orbital Frame, I would of taken Acrobatics like I did in beta. Flight is really the PvE power, its easier to get barrels to throw or stay out of a mobs way when you are in the sky. A must for healers IMO.

Wow! Thanks for the time putting that together, answered alot of my questions. I felt the same way jumping back in to Cata. Looking for something new and this may be it. Champions was cool but felt so...empty and janky. This appears to have much more polish, though I'm still worried about post launch support. Might have to snag this soon.

ferr

ChronicleX said:
End Game Stuff
The first thing I did at 30 was get a quest at Stryker's Island (the toyman quest) and proceeded to get my ass kicked. Is that a raid or something, doesn't indicate?

Also, is there anything extra unlocked once you get into JLA?

Some other stuff with endgame:
- Renown with Waynetech, etc.. probably unlocks quests
- Influence. I don't know how you get it, but certain items require you have enough before purchasing.
- The quests to repeat a dungeon give mark of allegiance, haven't seen a vendor that uses them..

darkwing

ChronicleX said:

this doesn't make the 2GB download faster :(

Wait what the crashing is tied into your region language? Mine is almost 100% set to Japanese as well. Can you even change the region language easily in Windows 7?

ferr said:
The first thing I did at 30 was get a quest at Stryker's Island (the toyman quest) and proceeded to get my ass kicked. Is that a raid or something, doesn't indicate?

- Influence. I don't know how you get it, but certain items require you have enough before purchasing.
- The quests to repeat a dungeon give mark of allegiance, haven't seen a vendor that uses them..

Yeah I been to that island and got my ass kicked too. Its like a quest zone, meant to be easier than a challenge mode dungeon (since it awards 1/2 the marks). However I find it alot harder and not worth doing. MoA are kinda worthless without the rep to spend them, and you'll get enough doing the daily challenge modes getting level 30 gear.

Mark of Allegiance are spent at vendors in the magic/tech/meta wing next to the low end green gear vendor, the other side from that areas soda vendor. You can spend 10x tokens on one T1 token or use them to buy special costume parts if you have enough tokens / rep.

Influence is the PVP currency from any battleground and used on the basic items, mainly level 24 blue weapons which are the best weapons you can get pre 30 so a good starting point if you decide you want to change. You get 50 influence for winning a legends PvP and 30 for loosing. I not tried other pvp types yet but I'd assume the influence gain is similar. You also gain 1 influence when you kill someone in PVP battleground or if they are within 5 levels of you.

I really need to stop answering peoples questions xD

yencid

TheExodu5 said:
So after reading the OP...why would you ever pick speed/acrobatics over flying?
They all have their advantages. (other then combat moves) The hookshot is simply the best scape weapon if you are close to a building since it takes you up so fast.

ferr said:

Marks of allegiance can be traded in for marks of honour, Wondergirl does it for certain at the JL watchtower, you need 10 allegiance for 1 mark of honour I beleive.

Hawk269

MadraptorMan said:
I dunno if this is how it works, but...

If there is anyone out there with a free trial "buddy" code for the PC version they don't need, I'd love to try this game out.

I played City of Heroes for like a year and really enjoyed it, and this seems to be a better game as far as action is concerned

There are codes that come with the PC version, but you have no way to get the client other than having your buddy give you the disks as well...and I doubt anyone on here is willing to send you a code and their disks for you to try out.

I wish it was like other PC games where you give the code, you go to the website and download the game, but this game is not like that and you need the disks.

Hawk269 said:
There are codes that come with the PC version, but you have no way to get the client other than having your buddy give you the disks as well...and I doubt anyone on here is willing to send you a code and their disks for you to try out.

I wish it was like other PC games where you give the code, you go to the website and download the game, but this game is not like that and you need the disks.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Guess I will just have to take the plunge then...

I'm currently living in Japan, that shouldn't be an issue right? I mean besides a less than optimal ping.

ferr

On hard alerts it lists suggested dominance for some more difficult alerts, is this a suggestion for a tank's dominance stat or something? The Tier 1 tank gear is the only gear with the dominance stat from what I can tell.

Raoh

created 2 new characters i'm going to leave parked until later, i always tend to start over in mmo's..

Created one based on Nemesis
nem.jpg

nemesis1_c01-200x300.jpg

and one based on Plutonian
1446294-plutonian_super.jpg

irredeemable-1n2.jpg

ferr said:
On hard alerts it lists suggested dominance for some more difficult alerts, is this a suggestion for a tank's dominance stat or something? The Tier 1 tank gear is the only gear with the dominance stat from what I can tell.

Its Control effect stat, tanks/controllers use it mainly. It makes your disables/debuffs more effective, without a certain amount of it disables/debuffs won't last long enough on raid mobs to be effective. At least thats what I am assuming it does, the stat page says it makes disables better.

ferr

ChronicleX said:
Its Control effect stat, tanks/controllers use it mainly. It makes your disables/debuffs more effective, without a certain amount of it disables/debuffs won't last long enough on raid mobs to be effective. At least thats what I am assuming it does, the stat page says it makes disables better.
Yeah, saw that in the stat screen. Just found it odd that the alerts have a Suggested Dominance:200 listed for the medium difficulty ones (and raids have 350 dominance I think).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
man i have the stupidest fucking questions with this game

i just beat the gorilla guy and it tells me to find flash at the police station. thing is there are several across all the cities and the one that is in the diamond district (the one i went to when i chose go to hq) i guess does not have him. then i have another mission that tells me to go to metropolis but i dunno how to do that either. no waypoints seem to show up when i click either of these missions

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
For some reason before the server Redemption went down for maintenance i was able to enter the hall of heroes at level 29 but now after achieving level 30 i cannot go back.

Also is the batcave on the map or is it a just a mission?

Effect

AstroLad said:
man i have the stupidest fucking questions with this game

i just beat the gorilla guy and it tells me to find flash at the police station. thing is there are several across all the cities and the one that is in the diamond district (the one i went to when i chose go to hq) i guess does not have him. then i have another mission that tells me to go to metropolis but i dunno how to do that either. no waypoints seem to show up when i click either of these missions

You have to go back to the one where the mission started from. Where the teleport in the Meta wing takes you. The one by the Queens Boardwalk. 3rd precinct I think. He's in there.

mileS

yencid said:
I thought you just used that 1 ticket and then the vault is open daily (24 hours)

Yea. You use the ticket once and it will let you que for it daily in the menu option for PVP/Alerts (Y on PC I think)

Basically the first time you get the ticket you can do the vault twice. Once when you use the item and the second when you que for it the normal way directly after.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Effect said:
You have to go back to the one where the mission started from. Where the teleport in the Meta wing takes you. The one by the Queens Boardwalk. 3rd precinct I think. He's in there.
thanks!

lastplayed said:
Does anyone know where the style/emblem vendors are in the watchtower? I've looked everywhere and all anyone says is "the watchtower" but that place is like a bloody labyrinth.

This question was on the previous page but I thought I may as well answer it. The style vendors are under the room with the large globe in the center of the watchtower, you go down some corridors and you find a huge room, ambush bug is down there (from the vault) all the computer terminals in this room have style items.

ferr said:

All Tank role specific gear adds to the dominance stat, controller gear has it as well but obviously you cant use that, normal gear won't have dominance / restoration etc.

You people are killing me. If I go home and it keeps crashing after the character creation screen I am gonna shoot someone

I JUST WANNA PLAY OUT MY CHILD HOOD DREAM OF BEING A C LIST SUPER HERO LIKE DARKHAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I downloaded and installed the game but it crashes after the opening movies right when the character creation screen comes up... :(

Tried installing the newest video drivers but that didn't help. Any thoughts?

I am so glad I championed this game for so long and that it turned out so epically good in the end. I had to force myself to go to bed, and now I'm reading the forums in bed on my iPad when I should be sleeping.

I cannot wait to get back in and try out more power set/weapon combos, to level my Sparrowhawk some more, to play with more GAFfers on Redemption, to try out more PVP, etc etc.

I almost cheered out loud when a Superboy hood dropped for me in the vault today. Oh, and I love the Catwoman's Claws trinket that I got from the Facebook giveaway. Came in handy in PVP already!

Loving you, SOE Austin!

krypt0nian said:
I am so glad I championed this game for so long and that it turned out so epically good in the end. I had to force myself to go to bed, and now I'm reading the forums in bed on my iPad when I should be sleeping.

I cannot wait to get back in and try out more power set/weapon combos, to level my Sparrowhawk some more, to play with more GAFfers on Redemption, to try out more PVP, etc etc.

I almost cheered out loud when a Superboy hood dropped for me in the vault today. Oh, and I love the Catwoman's Claws trinket that I got from the Facebook giveaway. Came in handy in PVP already!

Loving you, SOE Austin!

Cant beleive how good this game is, its like the second coming of PSO for me, love the weapons, love the loot, they pretty much got everything right (ingame comms the only thing letting it all down)

Saw a guy just before I logged off with a large glowing green hammer that was twice his size, looked goddamn awesome.

Also did my first alerts, did area 51 about 6 times and gorrila island twice, really good fun.

Foxix Von

kyo_daikun said:
Cant beleive how good this game is, its like the second coming of PSO for me, love the weapons, love the loot, they pretty much got everything right (ingame comms the only thing letting it all down)

Saw a guy just before I logged off with a large glowing green hammer that was twice his size, looked goddamn awesome.

Also did my first alerts, did area 51 about 6 times and gorrila island twice, really good fun.

I was hoping no one would say that. Goddamnit now I have to buy this.

The shit I put up with...

The entry level PVP gear seems to have some very stylish pieces, mainly the back item.

2q1rjf9.jpg

Give it a week and everyone is going to be walking around with them =P

Top Bottom