• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

ferr

Bane actually glitched when I fought him, he just rammed into one of the pillars and didn't stop running in place.

Jomjom

Banned
I had no interest at all in this game, but yesterday, after watching the Giant Bomb quick look, I have to admit I'm pretty tempted now. I don't know how much of it was because of the game and how much of it was because the GB guys were hilarious.

jogarrr

Tendo said:
Reading the OP I'm a bit confused on character creation and roles...What denotes a healer, a tank, a dps, or cc?

There are six power sets in the game: Fire, Ice, Gadgets, Mental, Nature, Sorcery.

Each power set has a DPS role.
At level 10 each power set gets a second role:
Fire, Ice -> Tank
Gadgets, Mental -> Controller
Nature, Sorcery -> Healer

After reaching level 10 and obtaining the second role you can switch between it and DPS role at any time while not in combat.

Macattk15

jogarrr said:
There are six power sets in the game: Fire, Ice, Gadgets, Mental, Nature, Sorcery.

Each power set has a DPS role.
At level 10 each power set gets a second role:
Fire, Ice -> Tank
Gadgets, Mental -> Controller
Nature, Sorcery -> Healer

After reaching level 10 and obtaining the second role you can switch between it and DPS role at any time while not in combat.

Where do I go to switch roles when not in combat?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AmericanNinja said:
why cant I do any of the Legends PVP missions? Do i need to unlock a certain character to use it?
Have you checked your mail? You should have gotten an item that unlocks your first character (Harley for villains, Robin for heroes) at around level 5.

Macattk15 said:
Where do I go to switch roles when not in combat?
T on a keyboard/D-Pad Up using a controller.

Killthee said:
Have you checked your mail? You should have gotten an item that unlocks your first character (Harley for villains, Robin for heroes) at around level 5.

Yep I got robin but when I try to do any of the legends stuff it wont let me join. :-/ I just sit in a queue forever even though it says it will be a 0 or 1 minute wait. lol

Killthee

AmericanNinja said:
Yep I got robin but when I try to do any of the legends stuff it wont let me join. :-/
Are you online right now? We can try grouping to get you in.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is there a site that can help me out with roles? I want to get he most out of my controller/rifle build, but I think I'm 'doing it wrong' sort of.

krypt0nian said:
It's got the typical MMO stands fare (guilds, raids, PVP, quests, loot) but it plays like a more fleshed out Marvel Ultimate Alliance (ie. skill based).
I'm trying desperately not to want this game, and you had to go say that? :( This game looks so awesome.

DY_nasty said:
Is there a site that can help me out with roles? I want to get he most out of my controller/rifle build, but I think I'm 'doing it wrong' sort of.

I don't think such resources exist yet. No one has that much of a handle on it yet.

crowphoenix said:
I'm trying desperately not to want this game, and you had to go say that? :( This game looks so awesome.

hehe life's a bitch. :I

I've never played a mmorpg before, but this game is amazing. I love loot and I love Ultimate Alliance, so this is perfect.

The interface (ps3) is really cluttered and the menus are slow, but over all it's a great game. Is there any confrmation that the main quest lines take 40 hours (I read it in opm)?

Started up the PC version last night and played to around level 7. Enjoying it so far. Lots to learn and get used to off the bat. I went with a Gadget/Staff/Acrobatics specced toon with Batman as my mentor. The name is EvoX on Darkness Falls server I think.

Gotham City is fun to run around in.:)

In so far as the PVE is concerned, do you usually fight enemies like Bane etc. as part of the ongoing storyline? Or is that raid content or specific missions etc. you pick up?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bane distribution center mission q:

where is the power source? all i see is this little box thing that keeps exploding when i use it and regenerating and the lever keeps telling me i need a power source

also my first alert (area 51) glitched out -- first a group of baddies was stuck in walls but we figured out a combination of abilities to kill them. then the second miniboss just wouldn't come out. bummer

OK the disconnect screen on the PS3 needs to have options to Retry.

Having to Quit and relaunch to see if the servers are back up is wrong.

AstroLad said:

where is the power source? all i see is this little box thing that keeps exploding when i use it and regenerating and the lever keeps telling me i need a power source

also my first alert (area 51) glitched out -- first a group of baddies was stuck in walls but we figured out a combination of abilities to kill them. then the second miniboss just wouldn't come out. bummer

That's it. You need to
take it to the top of the stairs before it explodes. The arrow points the way.

Nightz

Futurevoid said:
In so far as the PVE is concerned, do you usually fight enemies like Bane etc. as part of the ongoing storyline? Or is that raid content or specific missions etc. you pick up?
Yes they are part of the storyline.

Killthee

AstroLad said:

I might be wrong, but I think the box is the power source. Activate it -> pick it up -> take it to the lever.

Nightz

krypt0nian said:

[/spoiler]
THIS. It's the same on the PC version.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
krypt0nian said:

That's it. You need to
take it to the top of the stairs before it explodes. The arrow points the way.
oh man now i got stuck pushing it (lol)

VJWij.jpg

this game is locked at 30 on PC right? just noticed that on fraps

FredFish

Picked up a cheap usb keyboard and hope that helps the PS3 communication quandry. Text through the controller is obtuse at best and the game glitches with mic chat so far.

Nightz I'll be glad to help with Bane when you're on later. Will give me a chance to use Healer role. Between the fun of just romping around knocking off missions and the poor communication interface I've just been soloing basically.

Nightz

Dynamic3 said:
Can you create both a villain and hero on the same server?
Yes you can.

FredFish said:
Nightz I'll be glad to help with Bane when you're on later. Will give me a chance to use Healer role. Between the fun of just romping around knocking off missions and the poor communication interface I've just been soloing basically.
Sweet, thanks! I'll look for you guys later.

The game is definitely better with an actual keyboard of some kind, but they need to remove the damn on-screen PS3 keyboard for when a real one is connected. It's unnecessary and blocks our view completely until we're done typing.

Revolutionary said:
The game is definitely better with an actual keyboard of some kind, but they need to remove the damn on-screen PS3 keyboard for when a real one is connected. It's unnecessary and blocks our view completely until we're done typing.

Yup, my current way to play is BT keyboard on my lap, iPad with this thread at my side. :I

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Are they messing with the servers, Redemption in specific? I logged out because my mail wouldn't load and now I get the disconnect screen.

hermit7

Chamber said:
Are they messing with the servers, Redemption in specific? I logged out because my mail wouldn't load and now I get the disconnect screen.

I think so, I froze up on Killing Joke.

Just got a pair of Supergirls boots as well, and was on my way to cash in some of my Marks.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far. There are still some things that I'm hazy on such as what your mentor exactly does, but I'm sure it'll get sorted out soon as I find places for research.

Unfortunately the DC forums isn't being all that helpful right now. The game hasn't even been out a week and there are people acting like elitist jerks on there already. Good for you, you were in the beta. Yes a lot of us are going to be newbish as we learn.

As for the communication, I think I'm going to be using Live with my friends as they get the whole thing sorted out. Is the speech supposed to be private in your party or is it public for everyone?

EekTheKat

PS3 version here - I have two characters on Redemption, one is a healer and the other a controller.

I think I've hit the point where it's starting to feel like a traditional MMO (where good tank/cc/healer/dps roles can make or break a group). Some of the later dungeons are brutal without the right people in the right roles.

Healing is hard to sustain without a "good" controller in the group, especially if the "tank" is fairly squishy. Without a controller the power bar just recharges too slow, even if I'm attacking to build up hit combos to speed up the regen (least I think that's how it works vs. the WoW model of standing around waiting for regen).

My Controller feels really cool to play. It reminds me of the old days when I'd run as an enchanter in EQ, except I look so much cooler when attacking/killing things.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm back to making tons of characters. I didn't like flying very much with a controller, but it's really great with mouse and keyboard, so now I want to make a ranged flying character that I like :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How do you dive bomb? It says innate ability but I'm not sure what triggers its activation. Just flying down at enemies?

JWong

Banned
Randy said:
Yep, MotionInJoy. Works great, though sometimes I have to restart the MIJ-client and replug the controller, because DCUO doesn't recognize it. But when it works, wow, smoother, and thus better, controls imo.
Sweet, thanks.

Xamdou

Alright my inventory is full. I have to get rid of my gear but do I lose the stats that the gear added to my char and the look of my whole custume?

Xamdou said:
Alright my inventory is full. I have to get rid of my gear but do I lose the stats that the gear added to my char and the look of my whole custume?

The gear doesn't add to the stats of your character unless they are equipped, but the style that the gear was is permanently "collected" whether you own a piece of gear with that style or not, as long as it was equipped at least once.

Is there a way to make players' levels show up above their name or something? It's annoying seeing a villain right in front of you and not knowing his level (or whether or not to attack) until you target them. Also, is it me or does grouping feel very unorganized? The player names over your group members' heads remain blue and you can't tell who is in your group and who isn't unless you are looking at the mini-map constantly.

Top Bottom