• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Honestly what the hell is up with these BUGS!?

I just want to play the game. Are there no fixes for this character creation screen crash!?

I don't get why Killing Joke runs so much worse for me. From menu lag to DC, it is comparably worse than my experience on Redemption and No man's land.

WonkyPanda said:
I don't get why Killing Joke runs so much worse for me. From menu lag to DC, it is comparably worse than my experience on Redemption and No man's land.

On all seasons the population is always on high now and the menu lags bad, really wish they had put up more EU servers at launch...

Foxix said:
Watched all the youtube playthroughs and I just started on this one as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3DDUjoC-M0&feature=BF&list=ULBek2rB-g-S8&index=13 Those plus your comment is really pushing me over the edge :(

So... I gotta know. Is there any internal DC comic logic behind Cola as a health item or is it some sort of goofy Phantasy Star 1 reference?

I've looked for references but can't find anything, you will really like it tho if your a PSO fan, I did the area 51 alert yesterday and you are trapped in a dome fighting a big robot shooting missiles and stuff out of it, reminded me of the dragon and vol opt missions in the way it was handled, really good fun (took me 7 attempts to finally get the drop off him as well, damn game kept giving it to other people playing with me)

kyo_daikun said:
On all seasons the population is always on high now and the menu lags bad
I had actually come to think that horribly lagging menus were normal... Looking forward to SOE getting their european shit together.

Fistwell said:
I had actually come to think that horribly lagging menus were normal... Looking forward to SOE getting their european shit together.

I had the game on thursday before the rest of the uk and most of europe started playing it, when the server population was low I promise you the menu was seamless, instantly came up and changed pages with no problems what so ever.

In other words I advise all european people to go onto the other servers, just for me :p

YAY I GOT ON!

Seems like the crash did have something to do with the system locale settings. What a stupid fucking bug.

Finished the tutorial and about to have dinner and watch an eps of Batman TAS before jumping back on!

I made a hero on Death and Glory called DARKHAWX(lol DarkHawk was taken)

I went with the gadget/acrobatic/energy beams setup I mentioned earlier. Seems like the most logical combo for Darkhawk. Might make another version that can fly though. I think in the comics his suit eventually powers up to do that. I forget.

Wish I could get cool arm glider thingies. lolz

No I don't even understand why I like Darkhawk.

Edit: Also what is the deal with 360 controller support? It's so fast paced I almost want to try it out. I don't like using shift for block and dodge. Never good at twitch games on M/KB outside of shooters.

What do you mean? The locale setting crash? That is a 2 minute fix once you know what it is.

Game seems pretty good so far. Not really sure how to find a good party and stuff though.

darkwing

BudokaiMR2 said:
What do you mean? The locale setting crash? That is a 2 minute fix once you know what it is.

Game seems pretty good so far. Not really sure how to find a good party and stuff though.

i'm on the PS3 version :( it is a common problem on the DCUO forum

MisterAnderson said:
It's really lame that you can only have 6 powers hotkeyed at a time... not quite sure what the deal with that is.

Say it with me...action MMO.

This isn't your momma's MMO. THIS IS DC UNIVERSE ONLINE, BITCHES!

BudokaiMR2 said:
Edit: Also what is the deal with 360 controller support? It's so fast paced I almost want to try it out. I don't like using shift for block and dodge. Never good at twitch games on M/KB outside of shooters.

Tendo said:
Can I play the PC version with a 360 controller?

Seemless, plug in and play and the superior method for this game. The keyboard commands all still work too so you can hybrid the controls if you want.

BudokaiMR2 said:

Yeah, I'm loving this as a game game, but can't seem to find a group at all. Not sure where the MMO side comes into play, aside from there being countless other people trying to steal your shit.

Suppose it'll come in time, I'm only a low level at the moment. Just trying to find what combination of powers and weapon I want to play. Enjoying Martial Arts/Gadgets, but can't help but feel Martial Arts and Telekinesis would have been just as bad ass.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm finally actually playing. Have a Gadgets/Rifle villain named Miss Risky. Looks mostly like the character I posted earlier. I decided she'd be better off as a Joker villain :p

Grenade Launcher + Taser Pull = Fun

I've switched to mouse and keyboard now. The camera is annoying with a controller (I always, always end up fighting things that are behind the camera, and there doesn't seem to be a decent "center camera" function. L1 does it, but only if you're not moving or attacking), and it's certainly way the hell easier to target things at range and use powers with a mouse and keyboard.

Chriswok said:
Yeah, I'm loving this as a game game, but can't seem to find a group at all. Not sure where the MMO side comes into play, aside from there being countless other people trying to steal your shit.

Suppose it'll come in time, I'm only a low level at the moment. Just trying to find what combination of powers and weapon I want to play. Enjoying Martial Arts/Gadgets, but can't help but feel Martial Arts and Telekinesis would have been just as bad ass.

No kill stealing, and most objects give credit if you're near enough.

Groups are easier if you /shout in channel what mission you're tryin to do, but honestly a lot are soloing the up to the instanced storyline ending missions. I definitely do that.

Nightz

So I played a bit with the PS3 version last night and one thing I miss about the PC version is the ability to use the mouse seamlessly, especially in the menu. The menu system for the game is laggy in general, so in the PC version I would just bring it up with my controller then use the mouse to navigate. Having to use a controller to navigate through the whole thing is a pain. Graphics on PC are much better and cleaner looking of course. There were times last night when some players' loadouts weren't showing so they all looked like shadows.

Other than that, the game is still a blast. I'm just glad that I can actually log in and play. I remade the exact same character I had on the PC version and got to the beginning of the Bane missions. I might be asking for some help when I actually get to fighting Bane. =P

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So just a couple basic questions:

-When an ability says Hold Y x2, how do I use it? I've tried double-tapping and holding on the second, holding two separate times, and neither works it just activates the different Hold Y ability.

-If anyone wants to do some group missions or whatever let me know, I'm AstroLad on the GAF PC PvE server. Currently level 8. Is there a way to add friends or join a league or whatever? Again looked around the menus but couldn't find it. Well if there is anyone feel free to add me.

Nightz

AstroLad said:
-If anyone wants to do some group missions or whatever let me know, I'm AstroLad on the GAF PC PvE server. Currently level 8. Is there a way to add friends or join a league or whatever? Again looked around the menus but couldn't find it. Well if there is anyone feel free to add me.
Go to your social menu. Initially it will list whoever is in the general area, but you can select 'Friends' from the dropdown and you'll have a little text field to add friends. There is a league, you can ask Crimson for an invite.

Ah, so conflicted about this game!

I love the meat and potatoes of it-- the character creation and power variety, the combat, the settings, the very rich DC Universe brought to life an an open world games.

BUT it has a ton of problems, mostly related to the social aspet, menus and getting around.

-Getting a party together is too difficult.

-Voice chat and text communication is spotty and needlessly difficult (launching communications out of an in-game friend list would be great, but the menu to do so is glitchy and often disappears if you try to use it).

-The Watchtower is unnecessarily difficult to navigate, even after the tour. Too many levels, wings and turns. While it's impressive looking, the whole thing becomes a chore when you want to do something simple like drop off items in a bank or find the proper teleporter.

-When joining someone for a mission, it's unclear if you're earning the objectives that the leader is earning. Everyone involved should be getting the onscreen objectives if they're in the party.

-Simple things like getting mail shouldn't involve having to travel to a safehouse.

For as flawed as Phantasy Star Universe was, DCU Online could greatly benefit from stealing a few things--

-The easy and intuitive social menu made it simple to communicate and group with people. And on Xbox 360, LIVE was well-integrated into all of this.

-Having a room (an HQ perhaps?) of your own made storing items, meeting and warping to pretty much anywhere in the game that you'd already been a total breeze.

If SOE could find a way to address this stuff, this game would be an A+ title. At the moment, though, as much as I really like the actually gameplay and playing with other GAFers, sooo much of the administrative bits of the game feel so much like frustrating and confusing work that I may not keep playing after the first month if it's not patched into better shape =/

elwes

I resisted this game for all of four days. Just created my first character on Zero Hour and finished the tutorial. Can't wait to play some more, but I have to sleep. :(

Randy

JWong said:
Anyone tried using the DS3 on PC driver for this game?

Yep, MotionInJoy. Works great, though sometimes I have to restart the MIJ-client and replug the controller, because DCUO doesn't recognize it. But when it works, wow, smoother, and thus better, controls imo.

Epcott

Nightz said:
I added a few of you guys on Redemption to my in-game friends list. Hope to see some of you on!

Wait, there's an in game friends list?

Smh... I swear, I read the instructions and guide and there still fundamental things I learn day by day. Doh!

Edit: The thing is, I had went to the Social window several times, but I noticed the who's who list doesn't show people on the Gaf Character Database. You can search by Nearby, Group, Friends, and League... but it doesn't seem to help (unless I'm doing it wrong). Do you actually need to send a message to a buddy on the XMB to meet you somewhere in game, then go in game and add them to the Social list when your characters are side by side? If so, that's terribly cumbersome (@_@)

lastplayed said:
Sounds kinda like a console port. :p
Except it's not possible to make a second hotbar on the PC version either (at least, that's what GAF said), so there goes your point.

The menu is laggy as shit so I never press start anymore: just use the keyboard hotkeys. I for inventory, T to switch stance, O for social, etc

Nightz

Epcott said:
Wait, there's an in game friends list?

Smh... I swear, I read the instructions and guide and there still fundamental things I learn day by day. Doh!

Edit: The thing is, I had went to the Social window several times, but I noticed the who's who list doesn't show people on the Gaf Character Database. You can search by Nearby, Group, Friends, and League... but it doesn't seem to help (unless I'm doing it wrong). Do you actually need to send a message to a buddy on the XMB to meet you somewhere in game, then go in game and add them to the Social list when your characters are side by side? If so, that's terribly cumbersome (@_@)
No it's not that complicated. I agree that the instructions don't do a very good job of explaining this stuff. All you need to do is go to the Social window, select Friends from the dropdown, fill out the text box with your friend's in-game name, and hit the + icon. This can be done whether or not they are online. The next time you access this list, you will see a list of all the friends you added and if they are online or not.

Cheech

I've decided to jump in, but I'm holding out until somebody drops the price on the Batman CE to $50. I NEED the statue. If somebody can find me a better Batman statue for $38 or less, I will jump in today and make my own CE.

BTW, does anyone know where the thread discussing the disappearance of the smilies went? It kind of sucks. I understand why it was done (i.e. people using them to be assholes), but I'm a fun loving kind of dude. I only used them for the purposes of good, not evil.

I don't suppose anyone out there has a trial key for this? I'm waiting on the next round of RIFT beta, and need something to sink my time into.

Dreohboy

Nightz said:
So I played a bit with the PS3 version last night and one thing I miss about the PC version is the ability to use the mouse seamlessly, especially in the menu. The menu system for the game is laggy in general, so in the PC version I would just bring it up with my controller then use the mouse to navigate. Having to use a controller to navigate through the whole thing is a pain. Graphics on PC are much better and cleaner looking of course. There were times last night when some players' loadouts weren't showing so they all looked like shadows.

Other than that, the game is still a blast. I'm just glad that I can actually log in and play. I remade the exact same character I had on the PC version and got to the beginning of the Bane missions. I might be asking for some help when I actually get to fighting Bane. =P

1) Gonna miss ya on the PC
2) I'm trying to complete that now with just me and Nighthawk....it's proving to be a bitch. I've died 4 times.

Dreohboy

Mercury Fred said:
If SOE could find a way to address this stuff, this game would be an A+ title. At the moment, though, as much as I really like the actually gameplay and playing with other GAFers, sooo much of the administrative bits of the game feel so much like frustrating and confusing work that I may not keep playing after the first month if it's not patched into better shape =/

Dude, you have valid complaints...but you've gotta know none of that is getting patched within the first month of release.

A year from now we'll all have a much better experience with the game.

Nightz

Dreohboy said:
1) Gonna miss ya on the PC
2) I'm trying to complete that now with just me and Nighthawk....it's proving to be a bitch. I've died 4 times.
I'll jump back in if tech support ever gets my client fixed because it really does look and perform much better on PC. Right now I don't have much hope for that though.

I died on Bane like 10 times my first go around. Pain in the butt.

hermit7

Nightz said:
I'll jump back in if tech support ever gets my client fixed because it really does look and perform much better on PC. Right now I don't have much hope for that though.

Are you on PvP or PvE on PS3?

Dreohboy

Nishastra said:
I'm finally actually playing. Have a Gadgets/Rifle villain named Miss Risky. Looks mostly like the character I posted earlier. I decided she'd be better off as a Joker villain :p

Grenade Launcher + Taser Pull = Fun

I've switched to mouse and keyboard now. The camera is annoying with a controller (I always, always end up fighting things that are behind the camera, and there doesn't seem to be a decent "center camera" function. L1 does it, but only if you're not moving or attacking), and it's certainly way the hell easier to target things at range and use powers with a mouse and keyboard.

How is this so? With controller you switch what you're targeting with the D-Pad, and your powers are used with the triggers and button pushes. How is that difficult?

(I agree that the camera can be a pain at times...but I'd rather not sacrifice the comfort of the controller for more camera control)

Nightz said:

wow, he's that hard? I beat bane all by myself on my first try when I fought him.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
AmericanNinja said:
wow, he's that hard? I beat bane all by myself on my first try when I fought him.
same

Supergirl was a bitch though on the first run...

AmericanNinja said:
He's fairly tough solo if you're at the recommended level (8, I believe?), sure...

But there's an easy way to kill him: just use the venom barrels scattered around the room. Don't even bother with actually fighting him.

I nearly died my first time there, so in desperation I started using the barrels and with a few bars of health left (refuse to use consumables or supercharges in instances - there's a feat for each instance if you don't), I managed to defeat him by running around and just tossing the barrels. :D

Bane has definetly been beefed up since Beta, I struggled at level 11, I used most of the venom barrels on him and he just kept healing all the time.

Also the moon base alert is totally glitched, a guard you have to kill gets jammed on a railing while resetting making it impossible to carry on with the mission.

Been doing a database of items, I would say its easily over 600 so far, there's a damn lot of loot in this game!

Nightz

hermit7 said:
Are you on PvP or PvE on PS3?
PvE...Redemption.

Yeah Bane's health bar takes forever to go down. There were a couple of times when I was about to beat him then he kills Nightwing and the mission would restart. This was all on the PC version btw. I think I have a fairly good strategy to beat him now, but I'd rather have someone else there so we can get it done in one shot.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fought Bane twice on the beta. First time was difficult and the second time was easy. I have no idea what the key is.

Revolutionary said:
He's fairly tough solo if you're at the recommended level (8, I believe?), sure...

But there's an easy way to kill him: just use the venom barrels scattered around the room. Don't even bother with actually fighting him.

I nearly died my first time there, so in desperation I started using the barrels and with a few bars of health left (refuse to use consumables or supercharges in instances - there's a feat for each instance if you don't), I managed to defeat him by running around and just tossing the barrels. :D

I didnt know about that way. I fought him one on one lol. and I didnt even die. I think I was around lvl 8 or 9.

Nightz said:
PvE...Redemption.

Yeah Bane's health bar takes forever to go down. There were a couple of times when I was about to beat him then he kills Nightwing and the mission would restart. This was all on the PC version btw. I think I have a fairly good strategy to beat him now, but I'd rather have someone else there so we can get it done in one shot.

I'll help you out. Whats your characters name?

So I played for 10 levels on Killing Joke PVP, and I have to say that it feels better to be able to go after the villains that you run into in the world, rather than run right past them because they are purple and untargetable.

Plus add in the thrill of seeing the red enemy player dots start to hone in on your location, while you fly through the city and it's becoming a siren call for me.

I'm seriously thinking about continuing on a PVP server instead of Redemption. Only shitty thing is during yesterday's server issues I created my character there but when I logged in the first time, I got a Game State invalid error, most likely due to the server instabilities.

Crappy part is that not it says my name is unavailable. It's slightly possible that someone grabbed it in the few hours that I was offline, but I'm thinking it's a database issue.

Top Bottom