• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Varna

hermit7 said:
So I am still doing fairly low level questing (just beat the hive queen) and the usual asshole at level 25 comes and tries to grief me. This Guy was pathetic and I somehow kept using my combos to take him out.

Must have made him feel like shit lol.

Nothing feels better then being able to to keep one of those level 30 assholes from even attacking with well timed disabling moves.

.GqueB.

Banned
Quick question. Can you change your characters size once the game has started or are you stuck with whatever build you chose in the beginning?

Cels

I know the game does not have cross platform play. But why? Didn't they plan for it initially? Why was the feature scrapped?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
TheExodu5 said:
When doing Legends...is there a way to read skill descriptions? I have no idea what these skills really do.
I haven't tried to use it during Legends, but the Actions quick menu has power descriptions. Press up on the D-Pad/F1 on a keyboard to bring it up and see if it works in Legends.

.GqueB. said:
Quick question. Can you change your characters size once the game has started or are you stuck with whatever build you chose in the beginning?
Nope, that's permanent. Mentors, Powers, and Movement are also permanent.

Cels said:
I know the game does not have cross platform play. But why? Didn't they plan for it initially? Why was the feature scrapped?
Business reasons is the official response.

http://goo.gl/AlZ7o said:
Eurogamer: To clarify, is DC Universe cross-platform - can PC gamers play with PS3 gamers?

John Smedley:
Technically speaking it is. However, the servers are separated, and largely they're separated for business reasons. Practically speaking, on the PC, you have to have a Station Account. On the PlayStation 3 you have to have a PSN account. Things are separated mainly for those reasons. Actually, up until very recently, internally, everybody was playing on one sever together and it's actually quite fun.

Yeah anyone who ever thought things like cross-platform play would catch on were dreaming. Not with the ridiculous policies that have become popular with the publishers recently. Customers are the last people they give a shit about.

Still sad to hear :( The only person I can think of who would be an easy conversion to this game only has a PS3.

Cels

Killthee said:

So they'd rather not tangle with PC-Station vs. PS3-PSN. It's good to know they have the tech for it -- I'd rather they just overcome the business decision and please their entire userbase with high population servers all aroun. It really makes Sony look bad when their first-party game is outstripped on this front by Valve's upcoming Portal 2...or that really just says that much about Valve, idk. Either way, sucky.

Yeah I don't really get this. I always thought it was going to be cross-platform. Station and PSN are both Sony aren't they?

2713049064_a756f5dceb.jpg

Oh well maybe in the far future after our ps3 custom firmware brethren have shaken their console bonds they can join us master race PC gamers on fan-made servers once PSN decides to kill their own servers.

No45

Hawk269 said:
All in all, I think the game is alot of fun, but the more I hear of people nearing the level cap and how fast they did it, how many of you that have played since it came out will be shelling out the $15 bones a monthe to keep playing it?
Dr. Pangloss said:
This game gave me a very casual vibe, but maybe it will have more hardcore things to do at max level.
There's a fair amount of bitching about the difficulty of the end game content on the official forums. Usually a good sign. ^_^

Foxix said:
Did anyone else listen to that segment of the latest Bombcast? What the heck was up with all the hate?
No points? :p

recklessmind said:
edit: this little playstation wireless keyboard attachment I bought is pretty cool... not too heavy... little cumbersome typing but pretty cool nonetheless.

recommended, especially if hooking up the KB is a pain in the butt... i really don't have enough USB ports on my slim, so this thing is great.
Thanks, been thinking about picking this up myself.

Killthee said:
Reading that is maddeningly frustrating! D:

valeo

Do you get a month free with this? Or do you sign up/pay first on station.sony.com or whatever for the 2nd month before you get it?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
valeo said:
I've loaded it up and it says 'you must subscribe to continue playing'
IIRC, the PC version requires you to enter payment info before you can play. I wanna say you can sign up for it and they won't charge you till the trial ends, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure.

Sblargh

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I don't really get this. I always thought it was going to be cross-platform. Station and PSN are both Sony aren't they?

2713049064_a756f5dceb.jpg

Oh well maybe in the far future after our ps3 custom firmware brethren have shaken their console bonds they can join us master race PC gamers on fan-made servers once PSN decides to kill their own servers.

The relationship between Sony and its subsidiaries are that of a suicidal schizophrenic.

valeo

Killthee said:
IIRC, the PC version requires you to enter payment info before you can play. I wanna say you can sign up for it and they won't charge you till the trial ends, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers mate.

Developers screwing PC users over a barrel because of consoles once again (love my 360, just getting sick of it - made the chat UI etc fucked as well)

Now to wait till it downloads 6gb even though the reason I bought the boxed version was because I have a limited internet cap (damn you Australian internet)

ah well!

Nightz

Killthee said:
This is correct. You have to have payment info to be able to get into your account. You can cancel before your 30 days are up if you don't want to pay.

Fucking SOE. Looks like they're cracking down on names. All my characters who had "Marvel" in their name have been changed.

How can they possibly justify that? They don't own the fucking word. Ugh. :mad:

Foxix Von

valeo said:
Cheers mate.

Developers screwing PC users over a barrel because of consoles once again (love my 360, just getting sick of it - made the chat UI etc fucked as well)

Now to wait till it downloads 6gb even though the reason I bought the boxed version was because I have a limited internet cap (damn you Australian internet)

ah well!

Assuming that you're talking about DCUO and not the 360 interface... The PS3's chat system is god awful too. I'd imagine it's worse since it's even more sluggish and cumbersome without a M/KB.

And yeah their name filtering is weird. I tried making a character called "The Black Archetype" it wouldn't let me do it because it had the word black in there =/

No45

lastplayed said:
Fucking SOE. Looks like they're cracking down on names. All my characters who had "Marvel" in their name have been changed.

How can they possibly justify that? They don't own the fucking word. Ugh. :mad:
There's a dude on the official forums complaining that they've changed his name too - his was "Destro" which apparently belongs to a Hasbro character? Someone mentioned in there that it should only be a problem if the name AND likeness are the same, which makes sense to me.

No45 said:
There's a dude on the official forums complaining that they've changed his name too - his was "Destro" which apparently belongs to a Hasbro character? Someone mentioned in there that it should only be a problem if the name AND likeness are the same, which makes sense to me.

Still, it makes me feel really helpless. I struggled to come up with some replacements (they change it for you but you can ask to change it again) and every time I tried to come up with something original, a quick search and they're all linked to comic characters. I dunno about appearance, the in-game email I got from them just mentioned the name violation.

But considering the amount of character "tributes" I've seen in the game, there's gonna be a lot of sad faces soon.

Dreohboy

Fricken SIX HOURS tonight. Haven't done that...sheesh..EVER?

Before I Kicked Bane's Ass

openupcan.jpg

My Future Wife

SuperG.jpg

My New Threads.

Warblade-1.jpg

Really like this game.

Crashdown/Infamous MMO..with very limited RPG elements.

I'm good.

A GUIDE TO WEAPON/ROLE SYNERGY

Draft Version
By Doctor Comics

My thanks to LoTekGhost, Oats, fenrirw0lf, ryuuis and to the SOE folks who made us a new forum for things like this.

One of the most common questions I see on chat channels and in the forums both here and at SOE is this: "Is (weapon A) good with (power B)?" This guide is designed to answer that question.

Each of the ten Fighting Styles offer bonuses to your character's Stats as well as bonuses to things like Critical Hit Chance or Critical Healing Effect. Certain stats are important to specific roles. So certain Fighting Styles offer bonuses to the stats which Healers, Tanks, Controllers or DPS characters are going to want. This guide lists all those bonuses and tries to provide a few different ways of seeing that information and using it to make wise Fighting Style choices.

It is important to remember that, in theory, you can eventually acquire a great many Fighting Styles. Skill points are automatically acquired every other level, but in addition you receive 1 skill point for every 100 Feat Points you earn. A wise player, or one who wants to make his character as strong as possible, earns Feats to collect Skill Points to buy all the bonuses which strengthen his role. For a complete listing of the Feats you have and don't have, pull up the "Trophy" menu and "Feats" is the first item on the list.

Although developers have stated that the ability to switch weapons "on the fly" is a design goal for DCUO, it is not yet possible. If you have multiple Fighting Styles, you can switch between them by pulling up your inventory (I) and equipping a weapon for the new Style. Most people are not going to want to hassle with this, but it is perfectly viable to have, say, a Melee-focused style which you use solo, and a Ranged-focused style for groups. You can switch between these when you join the group and switch back when the raid is over.

Stat bonuses from your Fighting Styles are passive. They add all the time, even if you do not have that weapon equipped. If you have a bonus to Might from both Martial Arts and One-Handed, you gain the benefits of both, regardless of the weapon you have equipped.

The Short Answer
If you are a Controller (Gadgets/Mental): Select Brawling, Dual Wield, Hand Blaster or Staff for DOMINANCE. Select Rifle, Dual Pistol, One-handed or Two-Handed for VITALIZATION.

If you are a Healer (Nature/Sorcery): Select Dual Wield, Dual Pistol, or Martial Arts for RESTORATION. Select One-Handed, Staff, or Hand Blaster for CRITICAL HEALING EFFECT.

If you are a Tank (Fire/Ice): Select Brawling, Rifle, Hand Blaster, or Two-Handed for HEALTH. Select Bow or Staff for DEFENSE. If you are a Fire tank, and therefore rely on self-heals, see "Healer" above.

If you remain in DPS (Any Power): Select Martial Arts or One-Handed for MIGHT. Select Dual-Wield, Brawling, or Martial Arts for CRITICAL ATTACK DAMAGE.

If you are mostly concerned with PvP: Select Bow or Staff for TOUGHNESS. Select Bow or Martial Arts for STEALTH RATING.

When deciding between two Styles which both offer bonuses, think about your play style. Do you want to be Melee-focused (Brawling, Dual-Wield, One-Handed, Staff, Two-Handed), Ranged-focused (Bow, Dual Pistol, Rifle) or have a mix of both (Hand Blaster, Martial Arts). Eventually you will get both, but your first choice is important because you will rely on it while leveling to 30. You cannot even begin to purchase additional fighting styles until level 10.

What Stat is Important?
This is a brief reminder on the role of each stat. I have not gotten into math here; to see this for yourself, open up your Inventory panel (I on the PC, or the symbol that looks like a utility belt) and select the tab that says "Stats", second along the top. Select each stat for a full explanation of how that stat affects you in play.

Health is your green bar. While every character wants to avoid death, Health is especially important to Tanks.
Power is your blue bar. No Fighting Style provides any bonus to Power.

Might adds to the damage of your powers; that is, the 6 abilities you have in your loadout. It's most important for DPS characters.
Precision adds to the damage of your Fighting Style attacks. No Fighting Style provides any bonus to Precision.

Defense reduces the damage you take from NPCs. It is mostly important to Tanks.
Toughness reduces the damage you take from other players. It is important to those who focus on PvP. The bonuses to Defense & Toughness provided by Fighting Styles always come together; any Style which buffs Defense also buffs Toughness by the same amount.

Dominance determines the duration of your crowd control powers, such as stuns and confuses, on targets. Various endgame Raids and Alerts have recommended Dominance levels. This is required for Controllers.
Restoration affects your Healing powers. The higher your Restoration, the more you heal. Obviously it is important for Healers, but it is also key to Fire Tanks who use self-heals.
Vitalization affects your ability to restore the blue bar (Power). In DCUO, the ability to "heal power" is a Controller function, so Vitalization is mostly important to Controllers.

Critical Attack Chance and Damage is not listed on your stats and there is no way to really monitor it in battle. Presumably it increases the percentage chance of a critical hit, and increases your critical attack damage by a flat percentage as well. It is mostly important to DPS characters.
Critical Healing Chance and Effect is also not listed on your stats and there is no way to track it. Presumably it affects powers which you activate, whether they target you or someone else. Critical Healing Chance and Effect is important to Healers and to Fire-Tanks.

Stealth Rating affects your ability to go unseen when using Stealth/Hide, Disguise, or Canine Form (available in the Gadgets, Mental,or Shapeshifting trees, respectively). This stat is not tracked anywhere you can monitor, but is only important if you have a power which lets you enter Stealth.

Fighting Style Bonuses
I have listed here all the bonuses provided by each Fighting Style. Each Style has some small bonuses linked to its essential combos, but the real bonuses are available only after "drilling down" for three combos or so.

Bow: +30 Defense & Toughness; +60 Might; +3 Restoration; +4 Vitalization; +1% Critical Attack Chance; +2% Critical Attack Damage; +12% Critical Healing Effect; +3 Stealth Rating
Brawling: +18 Dominance; +3 Restoration; +70 Health; +1% Critical Attack Chance; +12% Critical Attack Damage; +3% Critical Healing Chance; +2% Critical Healing Effect
Dual Pistol: +70 Might; +45 Restoration; +15 Vitalization; +14% Critical Attack Damage; +1% Critical Healing Chance
Dual Wield: +18 Dominance; +60 Might; +48 Restoration; +4 Vitalization; +1% Critical Attack Chance; +14% Critical Attack Damage
Hand Blaster: +18 Dominance; +70 Health; +60 Might; +3 Restoration; +2% Critical Attack Damage; +1% Critical Healing Chance; +12% Critical Healing Effect
Martial Arts: +25 Health; +70 Might; +45 Restoration; +14% Critical Attack Damage; +2% Critical Healing Effect; +3 Stealth Rating
One-Handed: +45 Health; +70 Might; +3 Restoration; +15 Vitalization; +2% Critical Attack Chance; +14% Critical Healing Effect
Rifle: +70 Health; +10 Might; +19 Vitalization; +3% Critical Attack Chance; +3% Critical Healing Chance; +2% Critical Healing Effect
Staff: +30 Defense & Toughness; +18 Dominance; +25 Health; +10 Might; +4 Vitalization; +3% Critical Attack Chance; +14% Critical Healing Effect
Two-Handed: +70 Health; +15 Vitalization; +3% Critical Attack Chance; +2% Critical Attack Damage; +4% Critical Healing Chance; +2% Critical Healing Effect

Getting the Maximum Bonus
If you are looking to get every single bonus available for a particular stat, this is the place for you. I have listed each stat and all the possible bonuses from Fighting Style.

Health (up to 375): Brawling, Hand Blaster, Rifle, Two-Handed (70 each); One-Handed (45); Martial Arts, Staff (25 each)
Defense & Toughness (up to 60 each): Bow, Staff (30 each)
Dominance (up to 72): Brawling, Dual Wield, Hand Blaster and Staff (18 each)
Might (up to 410): Dual Pistol, Martial Arts, One-Handed (70 each); Bow, Dual Wield, Hand Blaster (60 each); Rifle, Staff (10 each)
Restoration (up to 150): Dual Wield (48; Dual Pistol, Martial Arts (45 each); Bow, Brawling, Hand Blaster, One-Handed (3 each)
Vitalization (up to 76): Rifle (19); Dual Pistol, One-Handed, Two-Handed (15 each); Bow, Dual Wield, Staff (4 each)
Critical Attack Chance (up to +14%): Rifle, Staff, Two-Handed (3% each); One-Handed (2%); Bow, Brawling, Dual Wield (1% each)
Critical Attack Damage (up to +46%): Dual Wield, Martial Arts (14% each); Brawling (12%); Bow, Hand Blaster, Two-Handed (2%)
Critical Heal Chance (up to +12%): Two-Handed (4%); Brawling, Rifle (+3% each); Dual Pistol, Hand Blaster (1% each)
Critical Healing Effect (up to +51%): One-Handed, Staff (14% each); Hand Blaster (12%); Bow (3%); Brawling, Martial Arts, Rifle, Two-Handed (2% each)
Stealth Rating (up to +6): Bow, Martial Arts (3 each)

I hope you find this guide useful. I'm sure there are errors in it, so comments, questions, and corrections are welcome.

In the meantime, you can find me at doctorcomics.blogspot.com, where I blog about comics in between classes.

ALL CREDIT TO: Doctorcomics (great job)

No45

That guide has already been linked, perhaps should be added to the OP (if it hasn't been already).

lastplayed said:
But considering the amount of character "tributes" I've seen in the game, there's gonna be a lot of sad faces soon.
I know what you mean. I also know though, from CoH, that Marvel will do all they can to stop any thing to do with their characters appearing in another game. Throw in the news that the Marvel MMO is back on again and you can see why they're covering themselves. :(

valeo

Ok I logged in but now the only servers I can see are:

1. Looking for Trouble
2. In Brightest Day
3. Reality Storm
4. Bloodstorm

Does this mean I can't join Death and Glory which all my mates play on?

Sorry for all of the annoying questions :/

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Can't wait for the patch... Game just froze on me while I was in the vault. I NEVER get more than 3 things out of the vault. fuuu etc.

One thing I would like to see added would be some points to fight over in the main overworld. Right now you see that automatically happen over training areas for lower levels with 30s basically guarding it so they can quest. Would be better to focus the lvl 30s attention on something else.

A good parallel would be kinda like the the Strongholds in Dark Age of Camelot. Could even give bonuses like they did in DAoC.

No45

How do you reuse the vault? I got the day one ticket - do I need to visit the bug or will I just get given one each day?

No45 said:
How do you reuse the vault? I got the day one ticket - do I need to visit the bug or will I just get given one each day?

Bring up the multiplayer menu (the one with the icon of a fist) and select Vaults - you'll be able to revisit the vault every day.

aw, I love my bow :/

krypt0nian said:
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

This one Twitter post makes me drool with anticipation:

oh I don't know where I got them but I got some speed boots that lets my acrobat run like speedsters. I was wondering if there was more like that.

No45

Bootaaay said:
Bring up the multiplayer menu (the one with the icon of a fist) and select Vaults - you'll be able to revisit the vault every day.
Great, thanks. Gutted at how little time I've had to play this since getting it last week. :'(

DY_nasty

Starting to see what others have said about the PvP being a bit of a hassle. My other character on Killing Joke is level 20ish and today was my first time running around as a lower level char since launch. Its not bad, but you will definitely have to exercise some patience in certain areas and accept the fact that as a scrub, you'll have limitations. Acrobats... you're going nowhere fast so if you THINK there is beef, bail out early because until you reach level 10 or 11 there's nothing you can do to get away from anyone.

When you're first starting out you've really got to make it a point to stick with your friendly green mobs. If you're entering a zone and all you see is red dots, slow the fuck down and stick to the outskirts. Even in the best case scenario where you run into a guy who's got a few levels on you and you're fortunate enough to beat him, you won't be able to get your health back fast enough with all the goons around and before you know it another dude is swooping down on you.

Stick to the sidelines and just be smart about stuff. Accept the fact that you're probably going to get a few asswhoopings but if you play your cards right and roll in groups then you'll be giving more than taking.

30s on patrol in early areas is nice, but they've got to install a new mechanic at some point. People are only so nice.
No45 said:
Just bring up the Alerts/Legends/Arena Tab - scroll down to Vault. One visit per day.

krypt0nian said:
Apparently your mentor choice determines which endgame iconic suits you're eligible for

Yep. Its also determines which starting solo quest stuff you get access to. Joker was my mentor in beta but after seeing the "Style" of the Circe sets I picked her as my mentor. It will also determine which future sets you can use too once they add them.

DY_nasty

Sblargh said:
So, every power is good at DPS?
Some are better than others, but its not really a clear cut thing like that. They all have damage as a role, but there's a lot of diversity in how each goes about it.

Loving the near constant open world PVP battles near the Metropolis Hospital. Reminds me of old school Southshore/Tauren Mill back in WoW's glory days.

icechai

BudokaiMR2 said:
If they change DARKHAWX I am gonna be pissed. Thank god no one gives a shit about DarkHawk lolz

ooh was it you and 2 other heroes we were fighting just now by the minotaur & colossus before server did maintenance? I felt pretty good about myself for being level 13 on my villain and doing pvp against 17 and 18 (other 2 villains were also around that).

elwes

I am straight up addicted to this game.

I made a new character tonight to screw around with the super-speed movement option and ended up leveling it to 12, past my first character which is sitting at 7.

After looking at that guide that was posted a page or so ago, I think I've been playing fast and loose with the power loadout. I've pretty much been picking whatever powers sounded cool to me, regardless of if they're actually gimping me. You can respec in this game, right?

krypt0nian said:
Loving the near constant open world PVP battles near the Metropolis Hospital. Reminds me of old school Southshore/Tauren Mill back in WoW's glory days.

Theres also constant pvp going on around the police station since both sides apparently have quests in the same spot.

Daft_Cat

For someone who only got up to level 20 in WoW, and hasn't really dabbled in any MMO besides that, is this a good place to start? I love DC, and would be getting this on the PS3.

What are the reviews likely to be? I've heard positives and negatives, but it seems to me like the negatives are more minor, and the game overall is very successful. Is this impression accurate?

No45

elwes said:
You can respec in this game, right?
Yup. Watchtower for heroes, Hall of Doom for villains. I know for a fact I'm going to be levelling all manner of different characters before I settle on one (if I EVER manage to settle on one. :p).

Top Bottom