• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

hermit7

TheExodu5 said:
Can you have different skill/power allocations for your roles? Like a dual spec? Or is it just a stance?

You can have different loadouts, for example if you want some stuff that deals damage you can have those in a separate tray than your healing loadout.

It is specific to what stance you have though.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
From a community guy on the DCUO forums:
Hey there! We are aware of the intermittent issues with voice chat and it is something that we're looking in to.
Hah! I haven't been able to get the fucking thing to work yet! Intermittent my ass.

valeo

Just bought the game - how big are the patches? I heard about 5gb?

Going to take me all bloody night to download em

Effect

I'm finally annoyed with the game. Made it up to level 19 but I had to do some Batman and even Wonder Woman missions (more WW ones) in order to it. The reason I picked Superman as a mentor is because I wanted to be briefed by him. To do missions that related to Superman. If I wanted to interact with WW or Batman I'd have picked them as a mentor. Oracle giving me updates I can understand and I'm cool with that. I hope they add more content that fixes this in the future. There is an unwelcome gap in the mission structure.

This isn't to say the missions in the end weren't enjoyable to a degree. They ended up being but it's the fact that I had to even do them. I guess I could have grinded mobs but that's boring for the most part. At least in City of Heroes if you did that you'd at least get some recognition from npcs for your trouble. Made that whole process somewhat more enjoyable. No one seems to be doing Legends PvP and Alerts have been buggy the last few times I tried them. Were fine before yesterday though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TheExodu5 said:
Can you have different skill/power allocations for your roles? Like a dual spec? Or is it just a stance?
Yeah. I switch stances/roles between zones in Alerts all the time. My damage build has an almost entirely different skill loadout than my healer.

DY_nasty

Effect said:
I'm finally annoyed with the game. Made it up to level 19 but I had to do some Batman and even Wonder Woman missions (more WW ones) in order to it. The reason I picked Superman as a mentor is because I wanted to be briefed by him. To do missions that related to Superman. If I wanted to interact with WW or Batman I'd have picked them as a mentor. Oracle giving me updates I can understand and I'm cool with that. I hope they add more content that fixes this in the future. There is an unwelcome gap in the mission structure.
You'll eventually finish your mentors mission branch later on. Its not like you're missing out on anything...

shaowebb

I'm seriously considering getting this, but I'm wandering if there's enough meat to keep a non social guy like me going.

I like a lot of combat that is not redundant in singles mode, with lots of puzzle/detective work involved to mix up the bag. Platform stealth a plus.

After the initial grind I would PVP or go on raids.

Would this game appeal to me or is it more or less same five attacks/same five enemies the game with a lot of skill trees tacked on?

Effect

I think what's getting to me is that due to taking missions from the other big two it interferes with the fantasy, the mental pretending I do with my character. That he's actually mentoring under Superman, helping him out, helping deal with his enemies. My character is being skilled for that. Having to deal with non-Superman enemies just throws all of that off. I think I'd feel the same if I made a Batman mentoring character and in the beginning he was dealing with characters like Bane, street level enemies, etc only to have to do a mission where he's fighting demons, etc. It just really screws with the immersion that is taking place.

DY_nasty

shaowebb said:
I'm seriously considering getting this, but I'm wandering if there's enough meat to keep a non social guy like me going.

I like a lot of combat that is not redundant in singles mode, with lots of puzzle/detective work involved to mix up the bag. Platform stealth a plus.

After the initial grind I would PVP or go on raids.

Would this game appeal to me or is it more or less same five attacks/same five enemies the game with a lot of skill trees tacked on?
Stealth, detective work? Can't say that you'd get that here.

I will say that I'm really impressed with the diversity of the enemies so far. Definitely blew my expectations away there...
Effect said:
I think what getting to me is that due to taking missions from the other big two it interferes with the fantasy, the mental pretending I do with my character. That he's actually mentoring under Superman, helping him out, helping deal with his enemies. My character is being skilled for that. Having to deal with non-Superman enemies just throws all of that off. I think I'd feel the same if I made a Batman mentoring character and in the beginning he was dealing with characters like Bane, street level enemies, etc only to have to do a mission where he's fighting demons, etc. It just really screws with the immersion that is taking place.
Ah, I see what you're saying.

hermit7

Effect said:
I think what getting to me is that due to taking missions from the other big two it interferes with the fantasy, the mental pretending I do with my character. That he's actually mentoring under Superman, helping him out, helping deal with his enemies. My character is being skilled for that. Having to deal with non-Superman enemies just throws all of that off. I think I'd feel the same if I made a Batman mentoring character and in the beginning he was dealing with characters like Bane, street level enemies, etc only to have to do a mission where he's fighting demons, etc. It just really screws with the immersion that is taking place.
While this is understandable I think that you are being slightly unreasonable in your expectations for the developers. Do you really expect them to be able to create that much content and all of the quests are voice acted.

Effect said:

Just think of him lending you out to the the other two. DC Universe is pretty well connected that way. :)

moai

i'm new to mmorpg, so i'm kind of lost. what's a "controller"? the other roles speak for themselves..........

hermit7

moai said:
i'm new to mmorpg, so i'm kind of lost. what's a "controller"? the other roles speak for themselves..........

Controller does crowd control (stuns etc.) they also replenish the power meter so that other people can us their abilities more frequently.

On that note, I haven't seen a good controller yet. They are so important in creating a cohesive unit, and it sucks when you're tanking or healing and you can't do your role.

moai said:

Generally someone who's role it is to buff his party members, debuff the bad guys and potentially temporarily lock down or take some of the bad guys out of the combat until its their turn to get knocked out. A really fun support role in a group. :)

Ridiculously helpful thread on role/power/weapon synergy on the forums - http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuops3/posts/list.m?topic_id=6330

DY_nasty

I'm addicted to the PVP in this game. Wish I could change the servers that my other characters are on... gonna make a new rifle/mental/controller villain for Killing Joke (Joker + Calculator are better than anything else).

Any Gadget users? How does that power tree stack up?

I finally 'figured out' Shapeshifting, but its a unique build. I don't think healing through that role is even worth the investment compared to Plants. And the actual shapeshifting forms take a lot of figuring out on your own account. The thing is, if you're going into a pure damage build, it can be insane in Alerts and tougher enemies down the stretch. Crits through the roof and a crit rate that goes up with each enemy killed... The equipment needed is pretty much in contrary to what most who would be looking for initially too.

EekTheKat

Did my first Duo a while ago.

First partner stayed in DPS spec, got killed badly on one of the bosses and left.

Second partner was a healer who complained I didn't stand in the circle of healing, when it's being cast on the boss while I was mainly ranged (pistols/gadget spec). Think he/she got pissed it wasn't going well + just ditched the run as well

[edit] to be a bit more specific, on some boss fights the circle of healing has some detection/collision issues where it won't register if you stand on top of it. So it's largely useless to complain about it especially if it's cast in the wrong place.

Third guy was a Fire tank, and we totally destroyed the rest of the run as a Tank/Controller combo. Everything was getting stunned, we both had a lot of power due to regen.

My controller at 30 is like a rogue/enchanter hybrid, between traps/stealth/gadgets.

Good times. Game is really starting to open up at 30 now.

Tobor

Effect said:
I think what's getting to me is that due to taking missions from the other big two it interferes with the fantasy, the mental pretending I do with my character. That he's actually mentoring under Superman, helping him out, helping deal with his enemies. My character is being skilled for that. Having to deal with non-Superman enemies just throws all of that off. I think I'd feel the same if I made a Batman mentoring character and in the beginning he was dealing with characters like Bane, street level enemies, etc only to have to do a mission where he's fighting demons, etc. It just really screws with the immersion that is taking place.
I felt the exact opposite. I was glad to get some different missions and spread out for a while. To each his own.

Axiom

I had one day where I got a Legends match going (once during Launch, once during Beta), one day where I got a bunch of Arena matches going and while I enjoyed it the only PvP I find is on my alt on a PvP server.

Currently I'm just logging onto my Brave New World main every day, queueing for everything, doing the Ambush Bug vault and the challenge mode single player dungeons en masse and logging off without anything at all popping.

As much as I like this game, that is gonna get old really quickly since unlike WoW, I don't even have anyone to talk to here.

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

This one Twitter post makes me drool with anticipation:

@jimlee00 Jim Lee
@netfrost I've gotten claws for hand slot which allowed my flier to use acrobatic movement mode when equipped #DCUO

WANT NAO!

DY_nasty said:
Best post since OP

Thank you

Man, I had to post that one. So many things I had zero idea about in one remarkable post!

If you Killing Joke peeps want to hunt down and kill Jim Lee:

Have you made a character yet? What are his/her powers?
Jim Lee: I made a hero named Orange Chicken on the PVP server The Killing Joke. The league name is Panda Express; members are encouraged to be named after their favorite fast food dishes...I've tried to save the cool names for the comics themselves. When I'm in DCUO, I'm off the clock. [Laughs.]

hermit7

krypt0nian said:
If you Killing Joke peeps want to hunt down and kill Jim Lee:

I really want to wreck Jim Lee just to have that accomplishment.

That would suck for him though, I bet it is grief central.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me where to go to look for Harley Quinn's movement set (or all the legends for that matter)? I'm having fun with PVP but it would be nice to know what interrupts what instead of spamming my abilities like a dork.

icechai

Outtrigger888 said:
How do you pick your role? Do you have to go down a certain part of the skill tree? Ive put a lot of hours into this game and still dont get it. If my role is damage right now can I respec and be a healer or tank?

you can use your secondary role at any time outside of combat. in fact it usually gives bonuses to your skills, like healers get healed inside circle of protection in healer role while if they were in DPS role it just hurts baddies.

Everyone is Damage role, fire/ice open up tank role, mental/gadget open up controller role, and sorc/nature = healer. Healers get bonuses against tanks, tanks get bonuses against controllers, controllers get bonuses against healers is my understanding.

icechai

RiccochetJ said:
Can anyone tell me where to go to look for Harley Quinn's movement set (or all the legends for that matter)? I'm having fun with PVP but it would be nice to know what interrupts what instead of spamming my abilities like a dork.

in terms of combos, every legend has their full combo tree unlocked. So Robin is staff, Quinn is twohanded, etc. the dcuosource planner lists all of the combos for each weapon, google will also show now other options. Mainly to destroy people with Quinn, you want to use your bomb A LOT. High damage + stun :D

So after playing a while I don't see what one gains from World PVP outside of just going "haha I pwn you". I don't see any rewards or recording going on of the world pvp stuff so wondering what the point is. I know for the instanced pvp stuff there are feats and rewards for it. Open pvp is just for the heck of it with extra durability damage?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
icechai said:
in terms of combos, every legend has their full combo tree unlocked. So Robin is staff, Quinn is twohanded, etc. the dcuosource planner lists all of the combos for each weapon, google will also show now other options. Mainly to destroy people with Quinn, you want to use your bomb A LOT. High damage + stun :D
Ahh thank you! My 2 main chars have been dual wielding and dual pistols so I wasn't sure if she had some special move set. Still not sure about her powers though and priority. Figured out that the whirlwind of doom isn't so doomy. In fact it gets my butt kicked when I get stunned. It's a nice aoe though. My top google searches about her have been, "Wait, you can play as Harley Quinn?" :p

Edit: And what does her trinket do? Anti-stun? Damage? If needs be give me a LMGTFY so I know how to refine my search :D

Nishastra

Banned
Played three Legends matches in a row tonight. Absolutely dominated the first one. The heroes didn't seem to know how to deal with my hammerin' antics.

Second one went well also, but the third was really close the whole time... and just as we were about to (maybe) win, the game crashed. I reloaded as quickly as I could, but it dumped me back in the world, PVP flagged with no credit for the match :p

That's the first time the game's crashed on me at all. What timing!

RiccochetJ said:
Edit: And what does her trinket do? Anti-stun? Damage? If needs be give me a LMGTFY so I know how to refine my search :D
I'm fairly sure it makes you immune to controls. I pop it whenever I'm outnumbered and then the various tasers and whatnot I get hit with wrap me up, but don't actually stun me. If it does anything else, I have no clue :p

BattleMonkey said:
So after playing a while I don't see what one gains from World PVP outside of just going "haha I pwn you". I don't see any rewards or recording going on of the world pvp stuff so wondering what the point is. I know for the instanced pvp stuff there are feats and rewards for it. Open pvp is just for the heck of it with extra durability damage?

There are bounty quests for one. And the sheer fun of it for another. Playing against an actual human is always more of a challenge to your skillset than the same PVE opponents.

icechai

BattleMonkey said:

there's an extra vendor in the midtown station/clubs that sell crazy nice lvl 16, 24, and 30 weapons/equipment that require a little skull symbol (250 for weapons, 75-100 for equipment). How do you get those skull symbols? ... >;) Actually i'm not quite sure but it has to do with open world pvp, and i don't think ganking counts. anyone confirm what exactly it is? whether you have to keep on doing the open world pvp quest or if you just get it for killing in your +/- 5 level range? Picked up a Gordonian blade for my hero healer, and it is leagues better than any other quest/alert weapon i've seen so far for my level.

*random note - f11 toggles full screen for PC. good for going into window mode and posting on GAF :p

icechai said:
there's an extra vendor in the midtown station/clubs that sell crazy nice lvl 16, 24, and 30 weapons/equipment that require a little skull symbol (250 for weapons, 75-100 for equipment). How do you get those skull symbols? ... >;)

*random note - f11 toggles full screen for PC. good for going into window mode and posting on GAF :p

ooooh I did not know that..... *flies off to arrest more villains on Killing Joke*

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
icechai said:
there's an extra vendor in the midtown station/clubs that sell crazy nice lvl 16, 24, and 30 weapons/equipment that require a little skull symbol (250 for weapons, 75-100 for equipment). How do you get those skull symbols? ... >;) Actually i'm not quite sure but it has to do with open world pvp, and i don't think ganking counts. anyone confirm what exactly it is? whether you have to keep on doing the open world pvp quest or if you just get it for killing in your +/- 5 level range? Picked up a Gordonian blade for my hero healer, and it is leagues better than any other quest/alert weapon i've seen so far for my level.

It's called influence iirc. It's not tied to open world PvP, it's tied to instance PvP. You get 50 per match if you win or 25 if you lose. I think you can earn some bonus points by dealing the final blow against an enemy team member in instanced PvP.

DY_nasty

Joker and Harley make being a villain worthwhile.

"I gotta tell Mistah J!"

so good

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Installing... woo hoo!

edit: this little playstation wireless keyboard attachment I bought is pretty cool... not too heavy... little cumbersome typing but pretty cool nonetheless.

recommended, especially if hooking up the KB is a pain in the butt... i really don't have enough USB ports on my slim, so this thing is great.

DY_nasty said:
I'm addicted to the PVP in this game. Wish I could change the servers that my other characters are on... gonna make a new rifle/mental/controller villain for Killing Joke (Joker + Calculator are better than anything else).

Any Gadget users? How does that power tree stack up?

I finally 'figured out' Shapeshifting, but its a unique build. I don't think healing through that role is even worth the investment compared to Plants. And the actual shapeshifting forms take a lot of figuring out on your own account. The thing is, if you're going into a pure damage build, it can be insane in Alerts and tougher enemies down the stretch. Crits through the roof and a crit rate that goes up with each enemy killed... The equipment needed is pretty much in contrary to what most who would be looking for initially too.

I messed around with Gadget. Only done the trap tree. First spell is like Scorpion's come over here move from MK. Hurts and stuns them. Then you can get a stealth spell that lets you sap an enemy and ambush another. There is also fear gas that stuns, as well as a robot helper. Hope that helps.

icechai

Killthee said:
It's called influence iirc. It's not tied to open world PvP, it's tied to instance PvP. You get 50 per match if you win or 25 if you lose. I think you can earn some bonus points by dealing the final blow against an enemy team member in instanced PvP.

ah thanks for clearing that up. Yeah there must be some extra point things because i don't have even numbers (50/25 increments), so I assumed it was open world pvp.

hermit7

So I am still doing fairly low level questing (just beat the hive queen) and the usual asshole at level 25 comes and tries to grief me. This Guy was pathetic and I somehow kept using my combos to take him out.

Must have made him feel like shit lol.

Foxix Von

Is my game glitched or something? I just got level 8 and beat a circe mission... however now I've also got missions from lex and another to go fight bane? Is that supposed to happen?

Axiom

I believe Mentors only change your initial and final quest chains, and what 'iconic' gear is available to you at 30.

You also randomly get quests popping up in your quest log as you level. Such as the Braniac Attacks mission everyone gets early on.

jogarrr

Foxix said:
Is my game glitched or something? I just got level 8 and beat a circe mission... however now I've also got missions from lex and another to go fight bane? Is that supposed to happen?

Yes, that's normal. You get most of the missions from all mentors. A few are unique though.

Top Bottom