• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

BattleMonkey said:
Theres also constant pvp going on around the police station since both sides apparently have quests in the same spot.

It's beautiful. *sniff*

BTW: whoever has spreadsheet access, could you delete Sparrow Lad off the Killing Joke list? I decided to go with Blujay instead. Nothing says "fuck you" like having your ass kicked by a teenage blue bird boy!

Dreohboy

Secret_Riddle said:
For someone who only got up to level 20 in WoW, and hasn't really dabbled in any MMO besides that, is this a good place to start? I love DC, and would be getting this on the PS3.

What are the reviews likely to be? I've heard positives and negatives, but it seems to me like the negatives are more minor, and the game overall is very successful. Is this impression accurate?

Don't compare it to WoW, and don't go in expecting it to be WoW with super heroes. You'll be disappointed.

Go into it thinking Crackdown/Prototype/Infamous, but in a massive, open ended world with other real people playing that you can form groups with, chat with and fight with or against.

If you go in expecting that, you'll have a blast.

Expecting more is setting yourself up for disappointment. IMHO.

krypt0nian said:
It's beautiful. *sniff*

BTW: whoever has spreadsheet access, could you delete Sparrow Lad off the Killing Joke list? I decided to go with Blujay instead. Nothing says "fuck you" like having your ass kicked by a teenage blue bird boy!

Was having fun at the police station with my illusionist as I would just disguise myself as a civilian or scientist and walk around and no one would notice me. Just walking up to heroes and stabbing them in the back is so much fun, especially when they jump a lower level player. "surprise"

It's funny how so many people don't realize I'm not an npc even when I'm jumping around.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
hermit7 said:
So I am still doing fairly low level questing (just beat the hive queen) and the usual asshole at level 25 comes and tries to grief me. This Guy was pathetic and I somehow kept using my combos to take him out.

Must have made him feel like shit lol.

nothing better than having some ass 10 lvls higher than you come up and try to kill you and you kill him. So good

Nightz

Gravijah said:
Does this come with a free month or is there a free trial for the PS3 or something like that?
Yes there is a 30 day trial. The PS3 version comes with a code to activate the trial.

Raoh

elwes said:
You can respec in this game, right?

Yes, i've been doing a respec almost daily.I'll try a few abilities and ability combos, keep what works, respec, add new ones, wash, rinsel, dry, repeat...

gives me a chance to try out things i would normally not go for. Didnt think i would like turrets but low and behold i'm killing with it. even have the supercharge strike that takes for ever to fill the meter for, feels like a two hour ability in ffxi.

with my sticky bomb, suppressor turrets, buster bunker and dual pistol bitch slap a mofo technique its like i'm a beastmaster and my turret is my pet LOL

FredFish

Secret_Riddle said:
For someone who only got up to level 20 in WoW, and hasn't really dabbled in any MMO besides that, is this a good place to start? I love DC, and would be getting this on the PS3.

What are the reviews likely to be? I've heard positives and negatives, but it seems to me like the negatives are more minor, and the game overall is very successful. Is this impression accurate?

Dreohboy pretty much covers it but I'll add the downsides that I've run into so they don't blindside you and potentially ruin the experience. Voice chat is largely broken: it worked for me once but that's about it. A fix is in the pipeline but no firm date on its release. You will really need a keyboard to communicate with any effectiveness (you can get a usb kb from Staples or Best Buy for less than $20 including tax). You will run into bugs occasionally most notably the audio one where the VA disappears and many sound effects and music cut out but they can all generally be cleared by logging out and logging back in. The servers are packed at night and that can cause lagginess in some areas. The menu isn't as snappy as it should be. Probably forgetting some others you might encounter but hopefully you get the idea...problems yes, gamebreakers no. If you really love DC all I can say is that I'd be VERY surprised if you really regretted the purchase

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BattleMonkey said:
Theres also constant pvp going on around the police station since both sides apparently have quests in the same spot.
All sides share quest locations. Maybe PvP isn't for you.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Nightz said:
Yes there is a 30 day trial. The PS3 version comes with a code to activate the trial.

Hmm. May pick this up, but it would make a LOT more sense to have a free trial (not 30 days, of course!) available BEFORE purchasing the software.

Is there a free trial for the PC version? I don't know if my PC can handle the game though.

Macattk15

Raoh said:
Yes, i've been doing a respec almost daily.I'll try a few abilities and ability combos, keep what works, respec, add new ones, wash, rinsel, dry, repeat...

gives me a chance to try out things i would normally not go for. Didnt think i would like turrets but low and behold i'm killing with it. even have the supercharge strike that takes for ever to fill the meter for, feels like a two hour ability in ffxi.

with my sticky bomb, suppressor turrets, buster bunker and dual pistol bitch slap a mofo technique its like i'm a beastmaster and my turret is my pet LOL

I dunno, those turrets are horrible imo, if they moved I think I might like them.

Have you gotten or tried the actual Bomb ability in the turret tree? Mobs my level get knocked completely out when I throw it at them ... hurts players for a large chunk of their health as well.

I toss a Sticky Bomb on someone to stun em, pull out the big Bomb and chuck it at them .... they are almost dead.

Then if I feel like it, since no one apparently knows what this does, I hide in my little present box and then erupt in poisonous gas while they sit there wailing away on the present. Works almost everytime.

FredFish

I'd like to propose something while I'm here: GAF Nights. Tuesday as Heroes day where we all log our heroes and meet in the Watchtower at say 8 or 9 PM and sort out who needs what and group up based on that. Wednesday as Villains day and Thursday for PvP. Days/times up for debate but I think it would be a real spur for community which is lacking some good tools in game

Chamber

love on your sleeve
FredFish said:
I'd like to propose something while I'm here: GAF Nights. Tuesday as Heroes day where we all log our heroes and meet in the Watchtower at say 8 or 9 PM and sort out who needs what and group up based on that. Wednesday as Villains day and Thursday for PvP. Days/times up for debate but I think it would be a real spur for community which is lacking some good tools in game
Funny you say that after I just ran up on Solomon Grundy accidently and caught a vicious beating. Sounds like a great idea.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really basic question but my bro is getting this and I was wondering what exactly we can do together on PvE. Of what I've played so far the Alerts I think (though I don't know how we'd pair up for one exactly), but I presume the campaign is all solo? Or is there a way to group up for those too?

FredFish

AstroLad said:
Really basic question but my bro is getting this and I was wondering what exactly we can do together on PvE. Of what I've played so far the Alerts I think (though I don't know how we'd pair up for one exactly), but I presume the campaign is all solo? Or is there a way to group up for those too?

If you have the same mission and are grouped you'll get credit for the stuff the other is doing but I don't think there's a way to share a mission they haven't already unlocked.

LFG

Neophyte
thinking of joining the pvp server death and glory when i pick this up. which side seems to be more populated? villains or heroes?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
If you're on the same quest, you work together to complete the objectives. So if you need to get 10 police badges etc, if your brother kills someone, there is a chance you will get one of those drops. Same goes for killing/knocking out etc.

For those end quest line instances, you will both go into the same instance if you are grouped.

The important thing is to make sure that you are have the same quest line progression, ie: don't be one behind etc.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
FredFish said:
That sounds great.

AstroLad said:
You can group up for everything (/invite name), but the only way to get credit for a quest is if you have it unlocked in your journal.

You can enter any instance together (quest dungeons, alerts, legends, duos) by grouping up before entering/queuing up the instance.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
metamonk said:
thinking of joining the pvp server death and glory when i pick this up. which side seems to be more populated? villains or heroes?

On that server i think that Villians are higher in pop currently. JOIN US!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Trin3785 said:
Anyway to see the numbers? I know Heroes have more members but I'd like to see some other stats about it too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Killthee said:
That sounds great.

You can group up for everything (/invite name), but the only way to get credit for a quest is if you have it unlocked in your journal.

You can enter any instance together (quest dungeons, alerts, legends, duos) by grouping up before entering/queuing up the instance.
awesome, thanks. i presume if you have finished a quest you don't get double credit for it then right? so really the only benefit to the person who has completed it is just whatever experience and items you get along the way (makes sense but just want to make sure)

DY_nasty said:
All sides share quest locations. Maybe PvP isn't for you.

Didn't say I didn't like it outside of lvl 30's in the newbie areas griefing. Said in previous post how I was hanging out there just backstabbing heroes

Leunam

Trin3785 said:

And it shows. D:

Also, is anyone using hand blasters? Can anyone provide some insight, how are you liking it so far? I think if I'm going to start a villain, that's something I'm going to go with.

MrMephistoX

Cool I just created two characters on Redemption:

Xiaoribar (villain) and Jiangshi (hero). Just curious if you can change your mentor at any point?

Killthee

AstroLad said:
awesome, thanks. i presume if you have finished a quest you don't get double credit for it then right? so really the only benefit to the person who has completed it is just whatever experience and items you get along the way (makes sense but just want to make sure)
Correct. The only quests you can repeat/get double credit for is the dailies (bounties and some lv 30 stuff) that reset every day.

Leunam said:
And it shows. D:

Also, is anyone using hand blasters? Can anyone provide some insight, how are you liking it so far? I think if I'm going to start a villain, that's something I'm going to go with.
I'm digging it. Combo's seem harder and more varied than the staff combos on my main character. The animation is also really cool for some of the combos and the continuous charge shot is sweet for racking up the combo meter.

MrMephistoX said:
Cool I just created two characters on Redemption:

Xiaoribar (villain) and Jiangshi (hero). Just curious if you can change your mentor at any point?
Nope, but all three send you quest no matter who you chose.

Raoh

Macattk15 said:
I dunno, those turrets are horrible imo, if they moved I think I might like them.

Have you gotten or tried the actual Bomb ability in the turret tree? Mobs my level get knocked completely out when I throw it at them ... hurts players for a large chunk of their health as well.

I toss a Sticky Bomb on someone to stun em, pull out the big Bomb and chuck it at them .... they are almost dead.

Then if I feel like it, since no one apparently knows what this does, I hide in my little present box and then erupt in poisonous gas while they sit there wailing away on the present. Works almost everytime.

The turrets sort of move with you. You basically self destruct it by holding down the same sequence that launched it and it will blow up. the recast time is probably about 5 seconds or so.

So I would set up a turret in the middle of a cross street, attack, turret would bombard, when i cleared that area i would destruct the turret and set up shop again further down the street.

I havent dont the bomb yet cause i assumed it was just like the joker bomb i got from my gamestop code. are they the same more or less?

the stealth abilities are next on my to do list.

i wish the hot bar was larger like the ffxi bar.. 6 abilities is not enough

Cmagus

is there any weapon guides out there? I dunno I get plenty of armor but I use dual pistols and I really don't do much damage at all my punching seems to do more it seems like my main weapon is my weakest attribute.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I like this game... spent like 2 hours designing my character. Have no idea what I'm doing but the game is fun (despite not generally being a fan of MMO) and think I'll get a lot of play out of this.

Wish I could post a picture of my hero... she is pretty cool looking. Very classic. I have good taste haha.

Dreohboy

Lyte Edge said:
Hmm. May pick this up, but it would make a LOT more sense to have a free trial (not 30 days, of course!) available BEFORE purchasing the software.

Is there a free trial for the PC version? I don't know if my PC can handle the game though.

1) there is not trial on PC

2) what are your specs?

Cmagus said:
is there any weapon guides out there? I dunno I get plenty of armor but I use dual pistols and I really don't do much damage at all my punching seems to do more it seems like my main weapon is my weakest attribute.

Basic dual pistol attacks don't do much damage, but that is why combos are important. Shoot, slide back shooting followed by the magnum shot for example does a good chunk of damage and send the opponent flying so you can immediatly follow it up with more attacks while they are down before they stand. Mix it with other abilities you might have and it can boost damage output even more, also have your weapon damage stat up for sure. With illusions for example you have the one power that can stun an opponent and your next attack does boosted damage, which when you toss the opponent into a combo it kills very quick.

Macattk15

Raoh said:
The turrets sort of move with you. You basically self destruct it by holding down the same sequence that launched it and it will blow up. the recast time is probably about 5 seconds or so.

So I would set up a turret in the middle of a cross street, attack, turret would bombard, when i cleared that area i would destruct the turret and set up shop again further down the street.

I havent dont the bomb yet cause i assumed it was just like the joker bomb i got from my gamestop code. are they the same more or less?

the stealth abilities are next on my to do list.

i wish the hot bar was larger like the ffxi bar.. 6 abilities is not enough

Yeah, I got annoyed at having to constantly self destruct and recast the turrets ... that and I sat there and let a mob beat on me while the turret shot it and it simply took FOREVER to kill the mob ... so I respec'ed out of them.

Don't know what the Joker bomb does. All I know is that at level 19 I chuck the bomb into a group of same level mobs and 1-2 of them outright die and the other has low HP.

Just got this, quick question if anybody knows: Can I play this on 2 PS3s (i.e., one in the bedroom, one downstairs)? In other words, can I just log in on any PS3 (after setup and updates) and play or do I have to transfer locally stored data?

Killthee

GitarooMan said:
Just got this, quick question if anybody knows: Can I play this on 2 PS3s (i.e., one in the bedroom, one downstairs)? In other words, can I just log in on any PS3 (after setup and updates) and play or do I have to transfer locally stored data?
Only settings are saved locally, everything else is saved server side. Characters, the subscription, and all DLC entitlements are tied to a specific PSN account so you'll have to use the same account on both systems. I'm not sure if the game will recognize you're playing on 2 different systems and throw a fit, but I highly doubt it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
crimzonflame said:
This game is a lot of fun. Only gripes are the menu lag (PS3) and the game froze twice today.
Yeah there's menu lag even on PC where I get 200 FPS on max otherwise. Think it's just part of the game, at least for now.

Cmagus

BattleMonkey said:
Basic dual pistol attacks don't do much damage, but that is why combos are important. Shoot, slide back shooting followed by the magnum shot for example does a good chunk of damage and send the opponent flying so you can immediatly follow it up with more attacks while they are down before they stand. Mix it with other abilities you might have and it can boost damage output even more, also have your weapon damage stat up for sure. With illusions for example you have the one power that can stun an opponent and your next attack does boosted damage, which when you toss the opponent into a combo it kills very quick.

Yeah I meant more of where to find new weapons or what drops them.I understand obviously that dual pistols aren't huge damage dealers but quick damage.I haven't really earned many new pistols though I'm lvl 16 and am still using ones form when I was lvl 6.

The most awesome thing just happened. A crappy green staff just dropped, I needed it for the style. So I use the style and notice it was exactly the same as my current weapon in terms of look. 2 different styles looking exactly the same? Does not make sense. And then I left the area and all was explained.........

The staff style "Glacier Staff" Currently does NOT exist! Instead it uses the last style you had equipped. Thus with if I equip a gun and then use this staff I end up slapping people in the face with a floating gun! Floating 2x swords with duel wield equipped, etc. This only works though while I keep the staff with the style on it, using another staff and equipping the style makes it use the normal staff style, or bare hands for an invisible staff! Pretty badass, makes it look like your doing matrix style kung foo.

ALL FEAR MY FLOATING MACHINE GUN OF DEATH!
5v945w.jpg

MrMephistoX

Killthee said:
Nope, but all three send you quest no matter who you chose.

Oh nice that it doesn't matter then problem solved: Circe is kind of a lame mentor lol but I like my character so if I get quests from the Joker and Lex I'm set.

Killthee said:
Only settings are saved locally, everything else is saved server side. Characters, the subscription, and all DLC entitlements are tied to a specific PSN account so you'll have to use the same account on both systems. I'm not sure if the game will recognize you're playing on 2 different systems and throw a fit, but I highly doubt it.
thanks for the info, I'll give it a try, seems like it should work.

valeo

Anyone else playing the PC version greeted with a 5.4gb patch this morning? Whats up with that? Downloaded 3 gb to get it going last night..

Cmagus said:
Yeah I meant more of where to find new weapons or what drops them.I understand obviously that dual pistols aren't huge damage dealers but quick damage.I haven't really earned many new pistols though I'm lvl 16 and am still using ones form when I was lvl 6.

Well luck is a major factor in the loot, and without an auction house in place in the game there is no way to find easily new upgrades for your weapons. Most quests seem to give you more generic armor pieces that any person can use, and weapons mostly are found through vendors.

Could be I need to update drivers, but the audio on this game seems really poor at times. Duel Pistols really seems to mess everything up as the sound fx loop clashes with itself constantly.

Top Bottom