• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Hawk269

All in all, I think the game is alot of fun, but the more I hear of people nearing the level cap and how fast they did it, how many of you that have played since it came out will be shelling out the $15 bones a monthe to keep playing it?

That is my only concern about the game is it really worth an additional $15 per month on top of the original price for the game? Is there enough content to keep players going considering we had several players hit max level cap within days of release of the game?

I hope the game is a huge success, but since this is an MMO, NPD Sales numbers really dont mean alot, it could sell 1Mil+ on both platforms, but if only 200K or so of those players stay on after the free month, then it is going to crash pretty hard. It would be nice to here from the Development Team some of the plans they have to keep that game envolving.

And agree with everyone else, the manual, the guide they are all POS and useless for information.

Hawk269 said:
All in all, I think the game is alot of fun, but the more I hear of people nearing the level cap and how fast they did it, how many of you that have played since it came out will be shelling out the $15 bones a monthe to keep playing it?

That is my only concern about the game is it really worth an additional $15 per month on top of the original price for the game? Is there enough content to keep players going considering we had several players hit max level cap within days of release of the game?

I hope the game is a huge success, but since this is an MMO, NPD Sales numbers really dont mean alot, it could sell 1Mil+ on both platforms, but if only 200K or so of those players stay on after the free month, then it is going to crash pretty hard. It would be nice to here from the Development Team some of the plans they have to keep that game envolving.

I think after they sort out all the release problems we will start getting a schedule of new content, give it another 2 to 3 weeks.

I don't know about the other people who are near / have hit 30 but I plan to roll quite a few more characters to try out the different weapon types and powers, and to experience the different mentor's storylines, there is a damn lot to do in this game even if you can hit max level pretty quickly.

Oni Jazar

Hawk269 said:

Hopefully they will announce new additional content soon to keep people paying month after month. They've stated before that they've got a lot of new stuff coming down the pipeline (already in QA). If this is all that the game has for the next few months it will wither and die.

Foxix Von

Killthee said:
Tried it as "Non-Believers" and "Non Believers" and both were invalid.

Settled on "Heretics". Send me a tell (/t enchantress) if you see me online for an invite.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the ludicrous amounts of assistance you threw at me. I'm really, really digging this game. It's blowing my mind that I'm legitimately having fun for once in an MMO. And a lot of it too, I keep realizing I've got a massive Joker grin on my face while playing the game.

Did anyone else listen to that segment of the latest Bombcast? What the heck was up with all the hate?

Oni Jazar said:
Hopefully they will announce new additional content soon to keep people paying month after month. They've stated before that they've got a lot of new stuff coming down the pipeline (already in QA). If this is all that the game has for the next few months it will wither and die.

I really do think they will prioritise getting the auction house and all the issues sorted first, there will be new content and the endgame stuff seems to be hard as nails anyway so will keep people busy.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hawk269 said:

And agree with everyone else, the manual, the guide they are all POS and useless for information.

I see two leveling systems in this game. The fist is obviously your character level which maxes out at 30. However, I feel the the feats you achieve in this game is the second leveling system which takes a lot longer. Remember you get rewarded with skill points by reaching a set point value (every 100, does it change later on?). So someone who ground their way to 30 will be at a disadvantage compared to someone who explored the content.

Besides, I'm actually looking forward to trying out different powers and mentors.

I'm assuming that any new content we get will be free. Poor assumption?

Kind of OT: does anybody know if The Agency will have a subscription fee? It seems counter intuitive to release two paid MMO games in the same year (both with similar audiences).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
oktarb said:
This is about the Bane fight with Killer Croc. Open to advice but overall it was just plain annoying.

So I'm fighting Bane with my Magic Healer (in DPS mode) and Killer Croc is fighting with me. I have some serious problems with this fight. Ironically on another character I had zero problems but I guess that's the breaks.

First, its BS that you essentially waste you time 90% of the fight because you can't really hurt Bane until gets to the last column. He regens after every other pillar until he gets to the last. 90% of the fight you're basically blowing smoke up his ass.

Second, if Killer Croc dies you lose, period. Even if you could live and beat Bane on your own, its game/fight over. So all this time Bane is regening, Killer Croc is getting stomped and doesn't regen.

Third and the kicker - I can't heal Croc. I'm a healer... and I can't heal. Fail.

So five times in a row I couldn't lay down enough damage to drop Bane before pathetic Croc gets dropped. try as i might Croc just takes too much damage. By the time I get to the last pillar Croc is down to 20% health. I lay down everything I have, combo's powers, spit, insults the whole ball of wax. Croc dies, start over.
Initiate Game Agro.
What level are you?

I have a healer too (lvl 20 atm) and there is NO point in trying to solo anything with a healing loadout. It can be done, but until you get into the later levels, it just makes more sense to stick damage. You can still heal in the damage role and you're no longer a pea-shooter. Bane should never have that much health by the final pillar.

Only in groups should you think about the healing role before lvl 17ish, at least imo.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
canadian crowe said:
I'm assuming that any new content we get will be free. Poor assumption?

Kind of OT: does anybody know if The Agency will have a subscription fee? It seems counter intuitive to release two paid MMO games in the same year (both with similar audiences).
The subscription will fee will cover the monthly content updates. Expansion packs will obviously cost extra.

Killthee

canadian crowe said:
I can live with paying for big expansions, do we know what content updates entail?
AFAIK, all they've said is they'll add new quest/episodes monthly and new major events every 3 months.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RiccochetJ said:
I see two leveling systems in this game. The fist is obviously your character level which maxes out at 30. However, I feel the the feats you achieve in this game is the second leveling system which takes a lot longer. Remember you get rewarded with skill points by reaching a set point value (every 100, does it change later on?). So someone who ground their way to 30 will be at a disadvantage compared to someone who explored the content.

Besides, I'm actually looking forward to trying out different powers and mentors.
Is there a list of feats anywhere? I'm guessing once you miss one it's gone forever? I've gotten a bunch but I'm sure I've missed out on a ton too. Shocking news: I'm not totally clear on how the system works.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hawk269 said:

It's the sort of game that you're definately going to want to run through a few times with different combinations of powers and to experience the other mentor storylines. I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon. I'm finding the single player content (well the ability to solo through content) very compelling ... really enjoying the storylines which are a blast back to my comic book days.

Worst case scenario you get bored in a few months ... to me that's good value for my money where usually I'm flipping a game one to two months in.

Head's up the EU version of the Facebook item giveaway is live!

DC Universe™ Online - The Official Game Page A new DCUO Facebook promotion is live in the EU: http://dcuniverseonlinelegendsquiz.com/! This is where EU fans can earn awesome in-game rewards. All DCUO fans are welcome to join the fun but the rewards can only be redeemed by those 18 years of age or older, and the in-game rewards are only available for redemption o...n EU servers. For US/NA fans, check out the Facebook promotion linked from the Profiler tab above!

http://dcuniverseonlinelegendsquiz.com/!

Nightz

AstroLad said:
Is there a list of feats anywhere? I'm guessing once you miss one it's gone forever? I've gotten a bunch but I'm sure I've missed out on a ton too. Shocking news: I'm not totally clear on how the system works.
Isn't there a list in the menu in-game?

Killthee

AstroLad said:
There's an in game list next to the power menu. You can repeat instances/dungeons so you can't really permanently lose one, you just gotta redo the instance at some later time or trigger a reset by logging out.

Killthee said:
AFAIK, all they've said is they'll add new quest/episodes monthly and new major events every 3 months.

That's great. Hopefully the game will have lots of life in it (I'm sure it will since it's great on consoles)

One question though: Why does my XP bar (the red bar on my hud) keep resetting to zero when I start the game? Is the bar only supposed to display the XP you have earned in the current session?

Nightz

canadian crowe said:
That's great. Hopefully the game will have lots of life in it (I'm sure it will since it's great on consoles)

One question though: Why does my XP bar (the red bar on my hud) keep resetting to zero when I start the game? Is the bar only supposed to display the XP you have earned in the current session?
The XP bar is the purple bar underneath your skills.

Nishastra

Banned
canadian crowe said:

That's not XP. XP is below your power bar.

The red bar is Supercharge, which some of the stronger powers use.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Nishastra said:
That's not XP. XP is below your power bar.

The red bar is Supercharge, which some of the stronger powers use.

ohhhhhh thats what supercharge is! I kept thinking that when powers said it used 50% of the Supercharge it was for the regular "mana" bar. Didn't realize there were 2 different bars!

BTW, as soon as we get a villian GAF league on Death and Glory let me know!

Foxix Von

Has anyone else (ps3) noticed how weirdly inconsistent the load times are? There are times where I've sat at a load screen to transition from the china town hub to the city/ vice versa and had to wait for what felt like a looooong time. And other times I'd go run a mission and come back and it would load almost instantly, or not even present me with a load screen.

That being said I'm loving the missions. The goals are mostly typical mmo fair but they're really satisfying with some really cool elements like stealing innocence from pedestrians and turning civilians into demons to wage a war haha.

Killthee

N.A. PSN chat room is up! I sent out friend request to all the PSN ID's in the database. Accept the invite and I'll send out an invite to the chat room next time I check the account.

If I missed you or you want an invite to the N.A. DCUO GAF chat room, send a PSN friend request to GAFDCUO.

Neojubei & tribal24 your list were full so I couldn't send you a friend request. Clear out some room and send me a FR (GAFDCUO).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Killthee said:
N.A. PSN chat room is up! I sent out friend request to all the PSN ID's in the database. Accept the invite and I'll send out an invite to the chat room next time I check the account.

If I missed you or you want an invite to the N.A. DCUO GAF chat room, send a PSN friend request to GAFDCUO.

Neojubei & tribal24 your list were full so I couldn't send you a friend request. Clear out some room and send me a FR (GAFDCUO).

ok

Weenerz

Banned
As much as I like the game, I don't see me paying for two MMOs, and I am far more addicted to WoW. Will revisit from time to time to enjoy future content patches.

oktarb

DY_nasty said:
What level are you?

I have a healer too (lvl 20 atm) and there is NO point in trying to solo anything with a healing loadout. It can be done, but until you get into the later levels, it just makes more sense to stick damage. You can still heal in the damage role and you're no longer a pea-shooter. Bane should never have that much health by the final pillar.

Only in groups should you think about the healing role before lvl 17ish, at least imo.

I'm level 10 and the instance is rated level 10. I was in DPS mode the whole way, using nerfed heals on myself. A was able to easily beat Bane with a another character at level 10 so it is odd. I'm sure I'll give it another go but doesn't anyone find it odd that you can't heal your allies in these encounters? I mean if I can't heal them, don't end the instance for me if they die. I would expect Killer Croc to be able to take more damage than my puny Sorcery based stick figure.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
oktarb said:
I'm level 10 and the instance is rated level 10. I was in DPS mode the whole way, using nerfed heals on myself. A was able to easily beat Bane with a another character at level 10 so it is odd. I'm sure I'll give it another go but doesn't anyone find it odd that you can't heal your allies in these encounters? I mean if I can't heal them, don't end the instance for me if they die. I would expect Killer Croc to be able to take more damage than my puny Sorcery based stick figure.
Croc has never been in jeopardy of dying in my playthroughs. Hell, I can't think of a single NPC that has ever been below 60% health...

Whats your setup?

Weenerz said:
As much as I like the game, I don't see me paying for two MMOs, and I am far more addicted to WoW. Will revisit from time to time to enjoy future content patches.

I had no difficulty ditching WOW for this. But then again, I've been waiting for this forever.

oktarb

If anyone cares they have a FaceBook promotion going on for PC and PS3.

http://apps.facebook.com/dcuolegends/

Change your profile picture to a DC one and you get a code for in-game gear. You can change your picture once a week and it unlocks a progressive gift.

Week 1 - Catwoman's Claws
Week 2 - Penguin's Gun Umbrella
Week 3 - Harley Quinn's Malicious Mallet
Week 4 - Mystery Gift

Ironically I got a notice that they were out of stock on the items and I would get my code soon. I have several friends who have gotten there gear so i consider it validated.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Foxix said:
Has anyone else (ps3) noticed how weirdly inconsistent the load times are? There are times where I've sat at a load screen to transition from the china town hub to the city/ vice versa and had to wait for what felt like a looooong time. And other times I'd go run a mission and come back and it would load almost instantly, or not even present me with a load screen.

That being said I'm loving the missions. The goals are mostly typical mmo fair but they're really satisfying with some really cool elements like stealing innocence from pedestrians and turning civilians into demons to wage a war haha.

It depends on server load. It's basically sitting there waiting for an opening to appear in the new zone.

oktarb said:

Change your profile picture to a DC one and you get a code for in-game gear. You can change your picture once a week and it unlocks a progressive gift.

Week 4 - Mystery Gift

Ironically I got a notice that they were out of stock on the items and I would get my code soon. I have several friends who have gotten there gear so i consider it validated.

It's real. I've been using the claws in PVP all week. :)

Xamdou

oktarb said:

Week 4 - Mystery Gift

I changed my FB picture but it still doesn't allow me to redeem Carwomen's claws?

*edit nvm out of stock ;(

oktarb

Xamdou said:
I changed my FB picture but it still doesn't allow me to redeem Carwomen's claws?

Ya, like I said they seem to have run out of stock. Since these are digital items it can only mean that they ran out of codes and juts need to go through the secure process of creating more. You should get an email saying as much.

Dreohboy

DAMMIT!!!

So, I beat Bane last night....but I fricken died right when I beat him so the damn game respawned me OUTSIDE the area where I killed him...and the entrance has that damn gate DOWN...MOTHER FEERDHERJER!!!!:dag: :mad:

Dreohboy

I only need to play this game until March...then Crysis 2 will be out. I'm cool giving them one or two months at $15 a pop just to see where the game goes.

Add crafting, housing...stuff to make the game worth having long term.

icechai

Foxix said:
I went with sorcery and I'm not so sure I'm sold on that power set yet... Almost every ability lists having a particular bonus when an "aura" is active but the game never explains what those are =/ can anyone help me out with this one?

hit level 16 with my hero healer, and now he's actually a viable pvp threat. Jump in with my katana and inflict bad karma stuns, erect a circle of protection so they take damage and move slowly while i get healed (does damage and decrease movement speed of bad karma people), then katana combos/final ruin. Once they hit 35% health final ruins starts hitting for 200+ damage each time, so if they try to run away, zaaaap :).

Although I'm liking my villain ice speedster brawler now as well. ugh the choices.

Game is fun thats for sure, the combat system is a huge draw here in keeping it from being the same boring rinse repeat style you get in most MMO's.

Game just needs some friggin documentation, really have no idea what so many things do or what.

Like what is the point of finding the various things in the game like the green exclamations that give you dialogue bits?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And bought.

Right now I'm waiting for the damn ME2 install to finish and then I have to make room for this!

I keep hearing people talk about a queue. What's the deal with that? I intentionally did not read about it before buying so I wouldn't be deterred.

Dynamic3

Killthee said:

Please shoot me a req: Dynamic3.

Should have a villain up and running on The Killing Joke after the Celtics game.

recklessmind said:
And bought.

Right now I'm waiting for the damn ME2 install to finish and then I have to make room for this!

I keep hearing people talk about a queue. What's the deal with that? I intentionally did not read about it before buying so I wouldn't be deterred.

I had to wait in Queue yesterday to log on at night a couple minutes. The servers a pretty packed but they have been adding more recently yet it's funny to see that even with them adding more servers, they are all apparently at high capacity. Game seems to be doing quite well, on PS3 at least, not sure on PC.

How do you pick your role? Do you have to go down a certain part of the skill tree? Ive put a lot of hours into this game and still dont get it. If my role is damage right now can I respec and be a healer or tank?

Outtrigger888 said:
How do you pick your role? Do you have to go down a certain part of the skill tree? Ive put a lot of hours into this game and still dont get it. If my role is damage right now can I respec and be a healer or tank?

The role thing from what I understand is only for when doing grouped instanced content, as you have to choose what role you can perform depending on what skills and such you have taken. By default everyone is dps but if you have the right stuff chosen, you can switch to a support role or such and it changes the way your powers act when doing the stuff in groups.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Game is fun thats for sure, the combat system is a huge draw here in keeping it from being the same boring rinse repeat style you get in most MMO's.

Game just needs some friggin documentation, really have no idea what so many things do or what.

Like what is the point of finding the various things in the game like the green exclamations that give you dialogue bits?
You get items sent to you via mail for completing investigations. Some of them are unique styles that you can't find anywhere else.

MMORPG-Life
has a growing database of investigation locations and the rewards they hand out.

Outtrigger888 said:
So basically every person starts out as damage. At level 10, depending on your power tree, you'll unlock a support role. Sorcery/Nature gets Healer, Mental/Gadgets gets Controller, and Fire/Ice gets Tank.

Once you've unlocked your support role, you can switch back and forth as long as you're not in combat. Press T using a keyboard or Up on the D Pad -> Cycle Stance if you're using a DS3/360 pad to switch role.

Raoh

Nightz,

You can remove my character "Wil Powers" on Crisis from the spreadsheet, going to delete that character. Staying with my current character "Nemes1s" on the same server.

Top Bottom