• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dead said:
Have yet to be able to enter a single Legends, but Alerts have been perfectly fine. Wierd.

Oh yeah, anyone else stumbled upon suicidal citizens at the top of buildings randomly? Found one earlier and lol'd at how easily convinced they were not to jump :lol
Its even more fun giving them that extra push

Stealing TVs is never old either

Foxix Von

Dead said:
Have yet to be able to enter a single Legends, but Alerts have been perfectly fine. Wierd.

Oh yeah, anyone else stumbled upon suicidal citizens at the top of buildings randomly? Found one earlier and lol'd at how easily convinced they were not to jump :lol
I'm lucky in that I've had no issue with instances and have gotten into matches within minutes. Also if your a villain you can push them off to their deaths >:3

Dreohboy

I'm such a geek. I got a new set of blades. Check it.

WarBladegood.jpg

icechai

k, after playing villain, i can see why they gank so hard, because its so much harder to get back to their quest area when heroes gank them (which now they seem to do more than villains, probably as payback for the 30 villains and their gank league)

Hawk269

yencid said:
what exactly is gank?

Gank or Ganking is when another human player (when in PVP mode or in a PVP Server) attacks of "Ganks" you. This is typical when high level characters of the opposing faction hang around where there are low level players of the other faction and they gank/attack them for the sure joy of it.

It can be frustrating when tyring to complete quests, but it can also be alot of fun to do and to defend against. We had alot of low levels being ganked by 2 level 30's and it took about 12-15 of us low level players to fight them off.

Hawk269

Just some thoughts...

Does anyone else feel that it was a bit too easy to max out level wise a character for an MMO this quickly? It just seems to me that it is way too fast to hit the level cap in this game.

Any thoughts?

icechai

Hawk269 said:
Just some thoughts...

Does anyone else feel that it was a bit too easy to max out level wise a character for an MMO this quickly? It just seems to me that it is way too fast to hit the level cap in this game.

Any thoughts?

guild wars... 6 years still going strong... enough said :p

yencid

"any thoughts"

they have said that they are constantly going to be expanding the game with new quests, events and updates so more then likely it will evolve a lot more.

Hawk269

yencid said:
"any thoughts"

they have said that they are constantly going to be expanding the game with new quests, events and updates so more then likely it will evolve a lot more.

I guess I could of worded my query a bit differently. What I am trying to get some thoughts are, compared to other MMO's, is getting to 30 as fast as many players have normal for this type of game? Main reason I ask is that I read alot of level 30's not having too much more to do and no incentive since they are at the cap. I guess, can we say that they made it too easy or too quickly to get to 30? Maybe it should of had more of a spread?

If you have a level 30 and you don't have much more to do in the game, what would be the incentive to pay $15 to play more? I mean other than making other characters and such. I do realize that they have content coming, but my original focus was in regards to it being too easy and/or too quickly to hit the max cap.

No45

I think the problem in those cases is that those people don't know what they're supposed to do at level cap in an MMO (it doesn't seem as though DCUO does a great job of communicating that, however) - which is keep running the max level instances for better gear, then head into the raids for even better gear.

When you have that gear, hopefully they'll have added more instances than will get you even better gear.

From reading the official forums it seems like there's plenty to do at level 30.

Tobor

Hawk269 said:
Just some thoughts...

Any thoughts?
I'm still at level 14 on my main. People rushing to 30 are the same people who cat ass a single player game in one sitting. I have a job and things to do, so the pacing is fine.

MGrant

Tobor said:
I'm still at level 14 on my main. People rushing to 30 are the same people who cat ass a single player game in one sitting. I have a job and things to do, so the pacing is fine.

Cat ass. I like that!

Seriously though the game's pacing is fine. The only reason I hit 30 already is because I joined with a couple of friends and just demolished the campaign last week. Otherwise, it'll take 20-40 hours for your average joe to get through.

I'm still trying to get in a Arkham Asylum legend level.
With Acid factory I was in in a couple of minutes.
But When I que for Assylum, I can play for hours without the instance popping up...

Sucks, but there are quite some bugs in this one.
Latest: When I switch character to create a new toon it won't log in after the creation, it just gets stuck. I have to quit and restart and then choose my new toon to start the tutorial...

Playing on the ps3 (eu) by the way.

EekTheKat

Just managed to beat Arkham Asylum 4 man with a group today, took like 2+ hours and a lot of fights are still really, really buggy.

Scarecrow reset once on us, failed to spawn during phase change

Buggy, but really cool. I found it interesting that Arkham
looks like the one in Arkham Asylum.
. Music was really familiar as well.

Last fight was stupidly hard as well. But we managed it
by splitting off Scarecrow from Ivy so we didn't fight both at the same time

darkwing

lols villains were camping the Bohemia police station in Metropolis in No Man's Land, i couldn't get out lols XD yeah lvl30s ganking lvl15s and below xD

Hawk269

Well, I just tested the below to force some AA in this game and the following does work. (For Nvidia Users).

Heres how:

1.Download the NVIDIA Inspector Tool (ver.1.9.4.2) and make sure you got a recent Driver (was using 260.99) - There is a newer version, but this one still works as well. Just google Nvidia Inspector and it will come up.

1A. Once the program loads, you get a screen with stats about your card, temps, fan speed etc. Click on the Tool Icon next to the section that says "Driver Version" it is in the middle of the screen.

2.Once in the tool, in the upper left corner it will say "Profiles". Click the down arrow and a list of games will show.

2A. When the drop down menu appears, it will list a ton of games, first find the DC Universe one and "DELETE IT".

3.Once you Delete the DC Universe one, scroll back up and find the Bioshock profile and click on it.

4.Click on "Add Application to current Profile" icon, which is the 4th one from the refresh icon.

5.Browse into your DCU Directory and add the dcgame.exe (if you did not do 2A as above, it will give you an error stating that the profile is already in use. So make sure to delete it first as listed above).

6.Hit Apply Changes in top right corner. If you make more changes, hit "apply changes".

7. Under the Antialiasing you need to turn the line that says Antialiasing - Mode to "Override any application setting".

8. Under the Antialiasing - Mode is the Anitialiasing Settings. From the drop down choose what you want, such as 4x Multisampling. Hit Apply Changes.

At this point 4x Multisampling AA will be enabled ingame which runs smooth as silk on the GTX460 at max settings here. If you got a faster Card you could even try using Supersampling to smooth out jaggies on transparent Textures like Plants(transparent AA doesnt work with this profile).

Another tip: The Games VSync is set to 30.... which i dont feel as smooth, so disable VSync ingame and force it in the driver (or in the NVIDIA Inspector tool at the Bioshock Profile). This will give you a nice Vsync of 60Hz (or whatever your Monitor runs at).

9.Enjoy

Enusre that you delete the DC Universe profile as listed above in step 2a.

I have mine set to 8x and it looks so damn good. I am going to try to add some Supersampling to see how it looks and see if I get any FPS hit, but at 8x it is silky smooth.

There are other AA settings such as 16x and 32x that you can play with, but you may get a hit on the frame rate, and like above in the "ANOTHER TIP" section, turn off V-Sync in the Games Settings - Video Settings and force it through the Inpector Tool.

Hudson06

Neo Member
Loving this game so far (Lvl 22). First MMO since I quit WOW 3 years ago. Finally got a worthwhile drop in the vault after getting absolutely nothing for a week. I managed to score Joker's Jetpack which makes my mental controller acrobat fly. It has no stats on it so when I equip it, I loose any stats my back item was giving me... but it does have flames and smoke shoot out of the back when you fly so it's worth it.

Can't believe that psychic empowerment is still broken :(

DY_nasty

There is a hero named Obama on Killing Joke is who is goddamned beast 1 on 1. Dude just waited across the street of Burnley, daring any villain to step to him. Beat us all down one at time.

Like a Boss.

darkwing

Animation-Imp said:
I'm still trying to get in a Arkham Asylum legend level.
With Acid factory I was in in a couple of minutes.
But When I que for Assylum, I can play for hours without the instance popping up...

Playing on the ps3 (eu) by the way.

woah, i can attest to this, no problem queuing for the Acid factory, but AA never pops up for me

TheExodu5 said:
So world pvp awards nothing then?

You dont get any renoun with any faction from world pvp or pvp at all. You get Influence per kill of someone within 5 levels of you and Influence + Soda if you do the kill 5 opposing players quest.

Nishastra said:
If anyone wants to know where exactly the villain skin vendor is, here's a shot of the map. I'm the arrow with the blue, and the green-circled dot is Ace Chemicals. She's just west of the plant. Be careful if you're low level, because the enemies around there are level 30.

Thank you. I been looking for a skin vendor since I got into the game.

And now for some advice for anyone tanking out there. Stack the crap out of dominance. I been messing with tons of specs (resped'd like 20 times now) and Dominance stacking does not even compare to the alternatives. My Fire burns do so much damage I can stay in tank mode and still output a ton of dps. With enough power I can even just spamheal myself too, I think I am gonna try a hard mode run with me + 3 controllers =).

Does anyone know if there are going to be any trials for this? either PC or PS3 I don't mind which.

Really want to try it before I commit to a purchase.

DY_nasty said:
There is a hero named Obama on Killing Joke is who is goddamned beast 1 on 1. Dude just waited across the street of Burnley, daring any villain to step to him. Beat us all down one at time.

Like a Boss.

Odd that they took turns and didn't bum rush him.

theta11

EekTheKat said:
Just managed to beat Arkham Asylum 4 man with a group today, took like 2+ hours and a lot of fights are still really, really buggy.

Wow were you in my group? the exact thing happened to me. lol

Hawk269 said:
Just some thoughts...

Any thoughts?

Yea I think it's largely because content is split between two different factions. I assume most players are going to want to make both a hero and villain which will extend the games life. Most games with different factions tend to only have a little exclusive content per side, while much of the big stuff is shared with everyone. In this game the content is largely unique to each side.

ChronicleX said:
You dont get any renoun with any faction from world pvp or pvp at all. You get Influence per kill of someone within 5 levels of you and Influence + Soda if you do the kill 5 opposing players quest.

How does this work? I only see renown listed, but don't see influence anywhere listed.

EekTheKat said:

Oh i've got a better one, the rest of my group was healing up so I thought I would be clever and try and pull mr freeze to the doorway...

The door sealed with none of us inside and we had to restart from scratch :(

No45

BattleMonkey said:
How does this work? I only see renown listed, but don't see influence anywhere listed.
Is the only benefit of influence that you can buy PvP focused items with it? Do we have a rundown of the various currency systems in the game (Influence, renown, $ etc.) and what they're good for?

Somethings I have learned while playing the PC version.

1) Holding both mouse buttons works the same as the E button.
2) You can restart a race anytime with the / button.
3) Voice chat is pre enabled. I was doing some alerts and got a phone call. Needless to say I did not realize the others could hear me till after the alert.
4) Under settings you can change what your buttons do. Also you can change voice to push to talk.

elwes

One of my main beefs with this game is respec'ing a weapon. There needs to be a better way to buy a weapon more congruent to my level than pvp/influence. I'm not a huge pvp person and would rather quest, so if I change my weapon specialization, I'm left with the crappy, police station vendor base weapon until I can power through enough missions to get a new one. I'm doing a level 8 mission right now (I'm lvl 22) and my shitty dual axe combo is making it unbearable.

MrMephistoX

Anyone interested in buying my PS3 copy for $35? I had a chance to try it on PC huge difference. PM if so I have excellent feedback on the buy sell trade thread.

theta11

MrMephistoX said:
Anyone interested in buying my PS3 copy for $35? I had a chance to try it on PC huge difference. PM if so I have excellent feedback on the buy sell trade thread.

as far as i know the game can't be sold because the key you entered is tied to your psn account. so unless the code is unused or you give them your psn account the game can't trade hands.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
theta11 said:
as far as i know the game can't be sold because the key you entered is tied to your psn account. so unless the code is unused or you give them your psn account the game can't trade hands.
I thought that was just a promo code for a one month trial subscription. Anyone who buys it used just wouldn't get the free month and would have to fork over cash for a subscription to play.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Killthee said:
I thought that was just a promo code for a one month trial subscription. Anyone who buys it used just wouldn't get the free month and would have to fork over cash for a subscription to play.
You're right. If you buy new, you get a free month BUT I'm thinking about it more. If I'm a separate user with a PSN ID, would the game recognize that and offer me a free month? Me and my friends had this discussion and thought the key was your link to the disc you have . I would like to see an answer to this.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
LiquidMetal14 said:
You're right. If you buy new, you get a free month BUT I'm thinking about it more. If I'm a separate user with a PSN ID, would the game recognize that and offer me a free month? Me and my friends had this discussion and thought the key was your link to the disc you have . I would like to see an answer to this.
I think the key is just a promo trial sub and nothing else. If you log in on the same system with a different PSN ID the game will ask you for a new a key (sub) before letting you play.

Macattk15

Kind've bored of the game already. I'm only leve 24. Just can't push myself to level to 30 it seems.

The quests have just become so repetitive and boring. Alerts never pop up and are also boring. Legends PvP is stupid. Actual PvP BG's is not fun. World PvP is fun ... but annoying being ganked by 30s (though I can actually fight back and kill some of them).

I dunno what to do :(

DY_nasty

krypt0nian said:
Odd that they took turns and didn't bum rush him.
People casually took turns on him at first. All smacked. One group even went at him 3 on 1. Smacked.

He was so official.

Zeal

Banned
are most of you guys playing on PC or PS3? Right now I'm stuck between which version to buy and any insight would be appreciated.

Top Bottom