• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

hermit7

DY_nasty said:
My very first serious character was a nature/bow/healer/superspeed. Bows are pretty damned versatile... shapeshifting wasn't for me, seemed to be THE go-to DPS class though. Some of the perks for the forms were insane, increased crit rate per kill and stuff like that. Only got to level 18 with her though.

Nature worked pretty damned good in PvP. Waaaaaaaaay more options than Mental too across the board.

btw, this little robot sidekick seems to suck. I'm not sure... but I think it sucks. I've spent more money on respecs than anything else too.

My healer is nature as well. Didn't put many point into causing a lot of damage, but the Gorilla Form is fantastic, allows you to tank decently enough but still allows you to heal on an emergency basis if necessary.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
icechai said:
just be patient and wait 24 hours for the respec cost to go down :p but yeah i've spent a ton of money on respeccing too. So far I think Bow is probably the most fun i've had with a weapon, it has good melee combos, great ranged combo, and a couple cool arrow shots. Martial arts is fun but i just end up using 3 moves (kick stun, knee launch, and smoke bomb), same w/ one handed, dual wield, and hand blast. The rest of the weapons are better.

Currently playing with a rifle. NOTE TO RIFLE USERS: the combo input descriptions are wildly inaccurate. Use the up pad to look at your combos, those are how you actually pull them off (basically hold ranged then hit up or back depending on your distance, which results in one of your 4 major rifle attacks).
Against people who don't know how to roll or the importance of interrupts, you can just rollforward/kickflip the fuck out of them. I really think its one of the best weapons for the controller IF you have a group with you. Once you throw the Psychic Blades for power regen and lay down some basic terror/stuns like phantom flame, you can use mortar to lockdown an entire mob single singlehandedly which is a BIG help later in the game (like against those damned mummy/zombie hordes).

But yeah, rifle is basically hold triangle then push up or back depending on the range of the enemy. The biggest problem with the rifle is that the aiming and locking issues really stand out.

DY_nasty

PedroLumpy said:
Quick question, can you completely respec out of your original weapon? Say drop brawling and pic up something else instead?
Yeah, you can but its not necessarily 'easy' to do. You have to be at level 10 and you have to actually get that weapon so you're not running around with nothing.

Effect

PedroLumpy said:
Quick question, can you completely respec out of your original weapon? Say drop brawling and pic up something else instead?

Not 100% complete. When you respec at level 10 you can select new weapon skills but you'll always have one point in the weapon skill you picked at creation. You don't get that back.

Zeal

Banned
just grabbed this for PC and made a Superboy Prime-styled antihero named Za El on Zero Hour. Wife will also be playing and made a sick looking valkyrie hero.

be on tonight.

Nishastra

Banned
Uuuugh. Just got into a Batcave match with a Huntress partner whose idea of combat was "hold Full Auto at all times".

Needless to say, we lost.

Oh and also, they ran off and did god knows what far away from the computer for like two minutes early on.

DY_nasty said:
Yeah, you can but its not necessarily 'easy' to do. You have to be at level 10 and you have to actually get that weapon so you're not running around with nothing.
Effect said:
Not 100% complete. When you respec at level 10 you can select new weapon skills but you'll always have one point in the weapon skill you picked at creation. You don't get that back.

Thank you gentlemen!

Nishastra

Banned
Tobor said:
Is there a reason I can't find the Daily Planet building? Am I missing something obvious?
Someone asked this on my server and got told that it's bottled and you go there in some mission or another. I have not confirmed this!

JWong

Banned
If I remember correctly, it's in Midtown (or Tomorrow District... whatever's beside the Green Latern area). It has this huge forcefield around it. It's in the central area of the district.

I also think that if you look in your map, there is a maker for it.

Leunam

Nishastra said:
Uuuugh. Just got into a Batcave match with a Huntress partner whose idea of combat was "hold Full Auto at all times".

Man, combos with dual pistols are so flashy and fun that I can't imagine why anyone would use full auto unless there's a big group around. Even then you can probably kill individual targets faster with combos into magnum rounds than just full auto.

Dreohboy

Stupid question.

Can someone post the controls to climb using the grappling hook? I know how to grapple opponents but I don't see a way to use grappling as a means of movement.

So just got home from work and did a Duo, booster dropped a blue but after we beat the queen and it showed her loot drop (colored orbs) i didnt get a lootbox or tokens.... I am hoping that was just a random bug and wont happen everytime I do anything :(

DY_nasty

Dreohboy said:
Stupid question.

Can someone post the controls to climb using the grappling hook? I know how to grapple opponents but I don't see a way to use grappling as a means of movement.
Just hold jump against a wall. It gets even better once you unlock the next part to the movement tree. It basically turns you into spider-man on meth.

Nishastra

Banned
There's definitely something wonky about the PvP win counter feats. I got the "Win 10 matches on the moon" feat on my second-ever Moon match.

Tobor

JWong said:
If I remember correctly, it's in Midtown (or Tomorrow District... whatever's beside the Green Latern area). It has this huge forcefield around it. It's in the central area of the district.

I also think that if you look in your map, there is a maker for it.
Duh, it's on the map. /slaps forehead

Thanks, I just wanted to sight see the globe. Shame they put it under a force field.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm not sure if that was a bug or what, but I was in a Batcave match (which I don't like very much, but they always seem to come up) and it was like I couldn't break out. Or block.

As soon as the enemies started hitting me, I was completely helpless. Any attempt to do anything (including breaking out) would make the error noise, and my character would just stand there convulsing while they beat me to death.

Hey guys, just finally got the game tonight (it was sold-out everywhere I went for the past week, finally got the last copy by luck at wal-mart), it's installing right now.

I'm on PS3, which server should I join to find the most gaffers? I plan to start with a villain, I got a good name in mind.

I'll now backtrack this thread to see what I missed.

JWong

Banned
Tobor said:
Is there an emblem vendor somewhere?
All of them are in the watchtower. Each wing has three iconic armor. There's some more currency armor in the engine room.

The watchtower tour is worth doing to know your way around.

chesspieceface said:
Hey guys, just finally got the game tonight (it was sold-out everywhere I went for the past week, finally got the last copy by luck at wal-mart), it's installing right now.

I'm on PS3, which server should I join to find the most gaffers? I plan to start with a villain, I got a good name in mind.

PVE = Redemption
PVP = The Killing Joke

Zeal

Banned
quick question, if my wife chose wonder woman as her guide and i chose superman, can we still quest together? i mean, can i fly over to her area and accept a bunch of quests there?

didn't know we would be so far away.

Tobor

hermit7 said:
I don't think there is an emblem vendor, but I haven't looked very much for one.

Do you get some for completing races though.
There is, I just found it. It's in the war room in the watchtower.

Zeal said:
quick question, if my wife chose wonder woman as her guide and i chose superman, can we still quest together? i mean, can i fly over to her area and accept a bunch of quests there?

Yea you can also do missions for the other. Mentors just change your starting position as well as what kind of later game armor items you are allowed to purchase.

Fusebox

Banned
Bizarre issue that I highly doubt anyone can assist with but why not try my luck:

When I plug my PC into my TV via HDMI, I get all the audio in the game except the awesome intro movie is silent, and the next part of that video preceding the character creation has background sound-effects but not talking.

Is there somewhere in the game config I can force it all ito 2.0 stereo or something?

Sanjuro

Does anyone in here have an extra invite for the PC trial? I have the PS3 version but have a friend on the PC and thinking about switching over. Huge thanks if so.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
chesspieceface said:

We got a GAF villain legion over at the PvP server The Killing Joke. Add the following people to your in game friends list (type /friend followed by the character name): Enchantress, Verdandi, Penumbra, and Redeyez and when see you one of us go online, send us a tell asking for an invite (/t name).

Zeal said:

You can quest almost everything together, but expect to come across a couple of issues. Issue number one is whenever you're in the over world questing together, you'll have to keep communicating with each other your quest goals because there's no way to view another group member's progress. The second issue and the bigger one of the two, is that if you don't have the quest in your journal you won't get credit for it. You'll have to redo the quest if you pick it up after completing it with your wife.

Nishastra

Banned
Here, for no good reason, is a picture of my character, Forever Dawn.

la5Oe.png

Nature/Rifle Villain.

Woo I had a fun night! Remember I mentioned a few pages back I was gonna try groups without a healer? Well I did just that tonight, Area 51 and Armoury hard alerts completed without a healer. Me healing myself, 2 DPS and a Controller. 1 of the DPS was fire which made it easier for me to heal myself. Was nuts, we killed the first boss of area 51 before his shield went up, the second boss died in around 30 seconds, the 3rd boss died just as fast but we wiped due to mass adds spawning from him (he spawns 1 pack of adds every 25% hp drop or somin). Only boss that did not die in moments was the last boss, but thats only because he buggers off mid fight all the time. As for the armoury, we was 5 seconds off getting the feat for killing the last boss in under 2 minutes and that was because I got knocked back across the room when the boss had 2% hp left.

After that decided to try the Medium level hard alerts to flex my 488 dominance, Strykers Island is hard. The second boss fight is really fun and this games version of "The 4 Horsemen" in a way, last boss is pretty fun too (first boss was crap though). I'll be trying Smallville and the other 1 tomorrow to see how they compare.

Zeal

Banned
zaeldcuniversezerohourp.jpg

Za-El on Zero Hour PVE

my tribute to Superboy Prime, one of my all time favorite DC villains. decided to go ahead and make this guy an antihero, however. something about playing alongside Lex Luthor just didn't feel right

Killthee

JWong said:
I can't chat with my league... it's /l or /league right?
Yup, either one will work. What usually happens though is the league channel goes down server wide during peak hours, just like the voice chat channels.

hermit7

Every one in game talks about taking down Power Girl. Is that a bounty? Or is it the early quest line for Luthor?

If it is a bounty where can I find it?

Varna

Just hit 30. What's the best way to go about getting decent gear? The hard mode alerts opened which was my first thought. But then going around the watchtower I noticed repeatable missions that earned those tokens you seem to need to buy anything worthwhile.

Is there a vendor that sells any level 30 gear that doesn't involve any of that special currency?

Killthee

hermit7 said:
Every one in game talks about taking down Power Girl. Is that a bounty? Or is it the early quest line for Luthor?

If it is a bounty where can I find it?
Bounty. Poster is in Midtown iirc. She hangs around next to one of the bridges in Downtown near one of the Green Lantern/Sinestro battle zones.

hermit7

Killthee said:
Bounty. Poster is in Midtown iirc. She hangs around one of the Green Lantern/Sinestro battle zones.

Mm... I will look again later.

You were right Killthee, the Toyman quests are ridiculous. The race one was so stupid that I abandoned it.

elwes

The Aquaman quest line is really pissing me off. I keep on getting to the last stage of the final battle, but since it's linked to how fast you can whittle down the boss' life, I keep on insta-failing due to my weapons being so weak in comparison to where I am in the game. I'm in desperate need of new dual-hand weapons. Doing the Lantern missions was excruciating, since those guys take so much punishment, and when you have underpowered weapons it takes forever to kill them.

Killthee

hermit7 said:
Mm... I will look again later.

You were right Killthee, the Toyman quests are ridiculous. The race one was so stupid that I abandoned it.
I think it took me 15+ tries my first time and I'm pretty sure it would have taken me longer if the random hero I followed to the finish line hadn't shown up.

It only took me 5 tries to finish it today >_<

elwes said:
The Aquaman quest line is really pissing me off. I keep on getting to the last stage of the final battle, but since it's linked to how fast you can whittle down the boss' life, I keep on insta-failing due to my weapons being so weak in comparison to where I am in the game. I'm in desperate need of new dual-hand weapons. Doing the Lantern missions was excruciating, since those guys take so much punishment, and when you have underpowered weapons it takes forever to kill them.
Have you tried grouping up? Things go a lot easier when you have some backup.

Dreohboy

OK...so tonight I had my ass handed to me twice by Deathstroke.

583575-deathstroke_large.jpg

For those that don't know...this bad mother BLEEP is kinda like Captain America, but a bad guy...kinda a gun for hire.

Here's his story...

Deathstroke possesses various enhanced abilities. These include the strength of ten men and heightened speed, agility, stamina, and reflexes. He has the capacity to use up to 90% of his brain at any one time, making him a tactical genius, adept at turning opponents' own abilities against them; this can also be attributed to his years in the military and combat with various heroes. Deathstroke also possesses a healing factor in his blood that enables him to heal from physical injury much faster than a normal person; however, it does have limitations, as he could not heal his missing eye and cannot regenerate entire limbs. This enables him to recover from what would otherwise be fatal injuries, though recovering from such injuries renders him insane and animalistic for a short period. Deathstroke is also a highly formidable opponent in physical combat to the point where he can and has defeated Batman in solo combat.Batman has only managed to at best subdue Deathstroke briefly with the aid of others or by taking him off guard in the midst of a large battle.

My character, WarBlade, is kinda a Deathstroke LITE.

Similar abilities, but not on the same level as the guy. Close though....just as well trained...mild healing factor....

Imbued with enhanced physical powers by secret army experiments attempting to create metahuman supersoldiers for the U.S. military, Deathstroke became a mercenary soon after the experiment when he defied orders and rescued his friend Wintergreen, who had been sent on a suicide mission by a commanding officer with a grudge.[1] However, he kept this career secret from his family, even though his wife was an expert military combat instructor—indeed, she had been responsible for a significant portion of his early training—until a criminal named the Jackal took his younger son, Joseph, hostage to force Slade to divulge the name of a client who had hired him as an assassin

Time to go train some more.

BestWarblade.jpg

DY_nasty

Hit level 30 tonight. Feels good man.

And to anyone wondering, there is a lot more to do once you hit 30.

elwes

Killthee said:
Have you tried grouping up? Things go a lot easier when you have some backup.

Nah, I've only played in a few parties...mainly for the Wanted quests. I managed to find a dual-hand weapon that upped my dmg per second by 24.6, so I went back and dominated. :D

I think I'm somewhat jaded from past MMO's (namely FF11) when it comes to partying with randoms. The few times I've done it in this game, it's been pretty fun, but that inclination to avoid random parties is still there. Makes no sense since the worst that can happen in this game when you die is you have to repair your gear and run back to the instance. I guess old habits die hard.

Thank god the flight mode problem will be fixed. Too many people were taking advantage of that.

I knew a few people who rolled brand new characters just to go around ganking people 10-20 levels higher using this trick.

DY_nasty

I patrolled hardcore tonight. 2 other guys and myself grouped up and went 30 hunting across the major NPC zones looking for douchebag heroes. Made Gotham a safer place for Villains everywhere. I've found my calling...

Zeal said:
zaeldcuniversezerohourp.jpg

Za-El on Zero Hour PVE

my tribute to Superboy Prime, one of my all time favorite DC villains. decided to go ahead and make this guy an antihero, however. something about playing alongside Lex Luthor just didn't feel right

Looks pretty badass.

Top Bottom