• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Hawk269

Varna said:
Posted this a few pages back.

Change AA compatibility to 0x080100C5 for basically no performance drop at all (at least with x4AA).

Cool thanks. Sorry I did not see your post and alot of people in the game are still asking, so I figured I post it here again. I guess the more people we let know the better!

oktarb

Maybe a designer can explain this to me: Why have a button(s) to collect the orb loot?

I mean it's yours, no one else can get it, if you're close enough you automatically absorb the loot. Why waste a button key-in on collecting loot. There's never any reason not to collect it.

Seems they could use that button key-in on something else. Especially on a controller where our input options are more limited.

You know for the UI they simply should have you highlight the option you want and press button to load it. Main reason it's so friggin slow is because it tries to load each menu as you move between them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Nightz said:
Is there a villain legion on Killing Joke?
Yup, send a tell to Enchantress, Penumbra, or Verdandi for an invite.

Zeal said:
are most of you guys playing on PC or PS3? Right now I'm stuck between which version to buy and any insight would be appreciated.
Slight edge on the PS3 I think. If your PC can run it though, I would suggest you go for it.

PC Database | PS3 Database

Hawk269

Zeal said:
are most of you guys playing on PC or PS3? Right now I'm stuck between which version to buy and any insight would be appreciated.

I posted a comparison a while back, I have both versions and if you have a decent PC, then PC. I play it with a 360 controller on my PC and it works great, visually it is very smooth and clear. The PS3 version is not too bad as well, it was the one I started with and I think it looks pretty good, but once you see it on the PC with better/stable frame rate, alot less jaggies (even moreso if you know how to turn AA on with this game). Then it is clearly the one to get.

For PC, if you force V-Sync On via your driver or other software, turn it off in the game you get better frame rate as well...the game with V-sync enabled within the game locks it at 30.

Some of the beta testers can tell you that they also had a "high" texture option, but in the retail version it goes as high as "normal". From what I read, they had some issues, but that it most likely will be an option via a patch to allow you to have "High" level of texture detail in the near future. Like alot of PC games, there are things you can do via software to improe. I myself just got 8xAA working via a software program and visually it is a big difference. While the PC version was not terrible with jaggies, it was still present and now I have zero and it looks really good. Was also able to use this program to get zero jaggies in Darksiders for PC.

Let's see what else...well if you have alot of friends that you will play with, that would sway your decision as well. If they are mainly on PS3 and you know you are going to group with them, then get that version. Content wise, they are the exact same thing and so far the patches have been relatively the same for each version.

As far as population, they seem to be about the same. One night around 6pm PST, I checked the servers for each version and they were about the same, most of them were medium, 2 were high and 1 was full. So, there are plenty of players on each version.

Once you decide, the next big question you need to figure out is PVE or PVP? Alot of people favor one over the other. Server wise there are more PVE servers, I think the PC and PS3 version have 5-6 PVE Servers and 2 PVP Servers.

Hawk269

BattleMonkey said:
You know for the UI they simply should have you highlight the option you want and press button to load it. Main reason it's so friggin slow is because it tries to load each menu as you move between them.

Damn dude, that is a good suggestion. It would be easy to do this as well, you hit the button, move the stick to the icon, hit 'x' and boom. Go post this at the official forum.

oktarb

Hawk269 said:
Damn dude, that is a good suggestion. It would be easy to do this as well, you hit the button, move the stick to the icon, hit 'x' and boom. Go post this at the official forum.

You probably know this but for new players its a blessing.

When you first open the menu, take a sip of soda, wait for it to load. Now if you want to go to another tab don't hit the bumper once and wait for it to load, you can tap it repeatedly and it will quickly highlight the bottom icons. Go to the one you want and then stop. it will load that page and not attempt to load the ones in between. The key is to wait for the first one to load, THEN tap tap tap to the one you want. If you try to soon you'll frag the menu.

oktarb said:
You probably know this but for new players its a blessing.

When you first open the menu, take a sip of soda, wait for it to load. Now if you want to go to another tab don't hit the bumper once and wait for it to load, you can tap it repeatedly and it will quickly highlight the bottom icons. Go to the one you want and then stop. it will load that page and not attempt to load the ones in between. The key is to wait for the first one to load, THEN tap tap tap to the one you want. If you try to soon you'll frag the menu.

Most console gamers aren't that stupid though to figure out how to work a menu, most games have far more complicated setups than this game. Really just adding one button press to the whole thing would save so much headache and load times on the consoles.

The game also already has lot of loading issues with the world itself, all it does is just adds on the the game's loading burden as you move into new areas and texture loading is a serious issue on the console as well. Game is constantly trying to catch up that really the UI could use a slight change to make it smoother.

Macattk15 said:
Kind've bored of the game already. I'm only leve 24. Just can't push myself to level to 30 it seems.

The quests have just become so repetitive and boring. Alerts never pop up and are also boring. Legends PvP is stupid. Actual PvP BG's is not fun. World PvP is fun ... but annoying being ganked by 30s (though I can actually fight back and kill some of them).

I dunno what to do :(

I stopped playing my hero at 10. Got boring just arresting people. Villains have more variety when it comes to quests. Either stealing something, experimenting on civilians, or releasing evil powers to reek havoc. Personally what drives me in this game is collecting the headlines. I'm only 23 and have gotten these so far (Joker is my mentor):

It's a big, scary world out there - Intro
Welcome to the Family - Huntress
Venom Vandalized - Penguin
Soul Smashed - Raven
The HIVE Gets Stung! - Queen Bee
Boy Blunder! - Harley Quinn
Wonder Girl Walloped - Wonder Girl
So Long Supergirl - Doctor Psycho
Batslammed! - Joker
Survival of the Fittest - Flash
That Spells YROTCIV! - Etrigan
Breaking the Ice - Mr. Freeze
Brainiac Beatdown! - Brainiac (Area 51 alert)
Ultra-Humiliation! - Gorilla Grodd (Gorilla Island alert)

Looking at feats and my quest log, it seems that I have 15 more comic movies to go.

Hawk269

BattleMonkey said:
Most console gamers aren't that stupid though to figure out how to work a menu, most games have far more complicated setups than this game. Really just adding one button press to the whole thing would save so much headache and load times on the consoles.

The game also already has lot of loading issues with the world itself, all it does is just adds on the the game's loading burden as you move into new areas and texture loading is a serious issue on the console as well. Game is constantly trying to catch up that really the UI could use a slight change to make it smoother.

lol...I figured that out the first day, just keep hitting the trigger until you get the icon you want. But even then, it still is a bit laggy at times on the PS3 version, so the idea of hitting a button would probably help.

oktarb

BattleMonkey said:

Certainly wasn't calling anyone stupid, just throwing a tip out there. And yes its very laggy and a horrible menu system. I suffer form DC-Menu-Cringe. Every time I want to bring menu up I cringe a little and sigh.

The menu also sometimes gets stuck it seems which probably is because of world loading at the same time, but as you try to navigate it will get stuck on an icon. Also it is really stupid that the code redemption menu is part of the menu set as it's rarely used and it often sticks and takes longer to load up than all the other menus. Code redemption should have been put under the options/setting button.

Dreohboy

Hawk269 said:
Just some thoughts...

Does anyone else feel that it was a bit too easy to max out level wise a character for an MMO this quickly? It just seems to me that it is way too fast to hit the level cap in this game.

Any thoughts?

I think there is a point to the fast leveling.

We've got to remember two things.
1) this is a console game as well as a PC game
2) within the first month of release, SOE needs every gamer that plays this to have access to the "best" part of the game. From what I can tell, the BEST part of this game are after a player reaches level 30.

If I'm SOE, I want people to subscribe to the game after they've spent the $50 or $60 for the first month. If a user can't get to the level cap before that first month is up that means they won't experience the most attractive part of the game before the additional expenditure.

At first I thought I was leveling too quickly, but then I thought about it and I began to understand Sony's thinking.

EekTheKat

theta11 said:
Wow were you in my group? the exact thing happened to me. lol

Looking at the GAF player list, I think that was me in your group :lol

Guess I'd had to bump into someone on here eventually :lol That was a good group but a painful learning experience.

Typing on a PS3 painpad doesn't help either

(I was the dual pistol Controller in the purple coat + red hat.)

darkwing

Booster Gold is a menace, i just got killed while looking at kiosk while a villain kept pounding at me while i was admiring the sight

.GqueB.

Banned
oktarb said:
Maybe a designer can explain this to me: Why have a button(s) to collect the orb loot?

I mean it's yours, no one else can get it, if you're close enough you automatically absorb the loot. Why waste a button key-in on collecting loot. There's never any reason not to collect it.

Seems they could use that button key-in on something else. Especially on a controller where our input options are more limited.
Why walk over to it when I dont have to? I use it all the time.

darkwing said:
Booster Gold is a menace, i just got killed while looking at kiosk while a villain kept pounding at me while i was admiring the sight

You are invincible for the most part while using the kiosk, but if they get you at the right moment they will generally lock you in a combo or stun pattern that makes it hard to come back from or run away.

oktarb

.GqueB. said:
Why walk over to it when I dont have to? I use it all the time.

No, I mean why not just have them auto-suck to you. What's the point of manually doing this?

You kill a mob, the little orb pop out for joy and automatically seek you out.

Effect

For as large and detailed both Gotham and Metropolis are I've realized (feeling might be the better word) they are both very empty. That's one of the things I really appreciated about both City of Heroes and Champions Online. Big cities as well but filled with random NPCs walking around commenting on things. It didn't dawn on me until I was just flying around looking for green and blue icons. That's not to say the other games had a ton of random content but the people walking around even commenting on things you did or story events that went down just made those worlds feel more alive even if it's just on a very shallow level. I hope as the game gets updates this can be addressed. Maybe having protest at some areas, or people just walking in and out of buildings on a regular basis.

jogarrr

oktarb said:

During beta a dev said that originally the loot was collected automatically but they have it the way it is currently so that players know when they obtain new items. Personally, I would love to have the loot auto collected.

Effect

jogarrr said:
During beta a dev said that originally the loot was collected automatically but they have it the way it is currently so that players know when they obtain new items. Personally, I would love to have the loot auto collected.

Same. There are sometimes while fighting other enemies will wander into the area or I accidentally auto target them and start attacking them. By the time I'm done some loot drops have disappeared. Or I don't notice them as a fight can maybe take me from one end of a block to the other.

Effect said:
Same. There are sometimes while fighting other enemies will wander into the area or I accidentally auto target them and start attacking them. By the time I'm done some loot drops have disappeared. Or I don't notice them as a fight can maybe take me from one end of a block to the other.

Just make the loot collect part of your fighting. I do and never miss anything. L2-R2 at the end of the fight. If I accidentally tag another mob, I just hit it between hits.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fuck you Sinestro Corps! One on one, they're nothing. In a group? Your health is gone before you even know what happened.

Can't wait til they add a GL style power set to this game.

Killthee

darkwing said:
what is this Ring War PvP event? i see a notice of it appearing , is it for lvl30s?
It's open to everyone. When the 5 minute warning pops up go to the safehouse in midtown and speak to the recruiter outside. The quest is called Fear vs Will iirc.

When it starts, the first faction to collect X number of lanterns for their side wins the event.

Effect

Killthee said:
It's open to everyone. When the 5 minute warning pops up go to the safehouse in midtown and speak to the recruiter outside. The quest is called Fear vs Will iirc.

When it starts, the first faction to collect X number of lanterns for their side wins the event.

To add to this. It also flags you for PvP while you are in the area. If you are passing by the area, didn't accept the quest, and pick up one of the items it will flag you as well on the PvE server.

Nightz

Ok I have to admit I'm having fun being on the PvP server. You can't beat that feeling you get when you see a red diamond on your mini map. It just adds another dimension to the game. Yeah getting ganked sucks, but in general other people come around to help.

FredFish

Nightz said:
Ok I have to admit I'm having fun being on the PvP server. You can't beat that feeling you get when you see a red diamond on your mini map. It just adds another dimension to the game. Yeah getting ganked sucks, but in general other people come around to help.

Agree. Did you join Heretics yet? I spend much of my time at night just helping others get things done. Grouping with League people makes doing missions and instances a LOT more fun. It's a blast providing cover while someone is trying to pound out some stuff

Nightz

FredFish said:
Agree. Did you join Heretics yet? I spend much of my time at night just helping others get things done. Grouping with League people makes doing missions and instances a LOT more fun. It's a blast providing cover while someone is trying to pound out some stuff
Yes sir, got my invite earlier so I'm all set.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
FredFish said:
Wait, so am I doing the league joining thing wrong? I still get displayed as candidate lol\

But man, I LOVE jumping into bigger PvP fights as a controller, ice trapping a whole group of douchebag heroes, and giving a thumbs up to my bros while they're still pounding that ass. There was a huge brawl at Gotham University last night. At first, guys were trying to kill that damned mummy then some heroes showed up to help the bastard. 3 of us got bodied and sent back the safe house - tried to round up some help, but Obama kept fucking up people who gather outside lol. Finally got him to leave, went back, slapped up a mummy. Cool. Started to progress with the quest (all but one of us shifted to undead form) and we walked into a mob of heroes and undead heroes.

Best brawl ever. Undead vs Undead, PvP with everyone in their high 20s, NPC mobs goin ham on everyone, goddamned Mummy respawning... I love this game

Killthee

krypt0nian said:
What's the GAF Hero Killing Joke guild?

I hooked up with the ComicBooked folks but if we're running a Hero guild then I'm in!
I don't think we have a Hero KJ league yet.

We do have a Villain KJ legion, come join us in the dark side.

DY_nasty said:
Wait, so am I doing the league joining thing wrong? I still get displayed as candidate lol\
Default status for a new recruit is Candidate. I upgraded all the new people to Members earlier today.

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
How I get in the KJ Villain legion?
Send either one of the following people a tell (/t name): Enchantress, Verdandi, Penumbra, or Redeyez

I'm online right now if you want an invite (Enchantress).

Fusebox

Banned
Zeal said:

PC, but plugged into the big telly and using a PS3 controller.'

I was regretting getting the PC version until I got off my arse, hooked it up to the big TV and got a controller going. If you PC option is limited to KVM I'd strongly consider the PS3 version.

icechai

for those of you still worried about population issues, yesterday on twitter:
Working on out-of-stock problems for DCUO. It's out fastest selling game ever. Should have more inventory in Monday.
- @j_smedley

hermit7

DY_nasty said:
One-handed

Probably gonna reroll tonight and make a fire tank...

What was your first character?

I made a healer that I am having a good amount of success with, but my first was an ice tank. It is decent enough, but overall I was disappointed in it.

Made a Controller as well that is akin to Gambit. The issue that I have is how there are no concrete stats on how much damage something does etc.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
hermit7 said:
What was your first character?

I made a healer that I am having a good amount of success with, but my first was an ice tank. It is decent enough, but overall I was disappointed in it.

Made a Controller as well that is akin to Gambit. The issue that I have is how there are no concrete stats on how much damage something does etc.
My very first serious character was a nature/bow/healer/superspeed. Bows are pretty damned versatile... shapeshifting wasn't for me, seemed to be THE go-to DPS class though. Some of the perks for the forms were insane, increased crit rate per kill and stuff like that. Only got to level 18 with her though.

Nature worked pretty damned good in PvP. Waaaaaaaaay more options than Mental too across the board.

btw, this little robot sidekick seems to suck. I'm not sure... but I think it sucks. I've spent more money on respecs than anything else too.

Killthee

If anyone needs an invite to the N.A. PSN chat room just send GAFDCUO a friend request.

icechai

DY_nasty said:
My very first serious character was a nature/bow/healer/superspeed. Bows are pretty damned versatile... shapeshifting wasn't for me, seemed to be THE go-to DPS class though. Some of the perks for the forms were insane, increased crit rate per kill and stuff like that. Only got to level 18 with her though.

Nature worked pretty damned good in PvP. Waaaaaaaaay more options than Mental too across the board.

btw, this little robot sidekick seems to suck. I'm not sure... but I think it sucks. I've spent more money on respecs than anything else too.

just be patient and wait 24 hours for the respec cost to go down :p but yeah i've spent a ton of money on respeccing too. So far I think Bow is probably the most fun i've had with a weapon, it has good melee combos, great ranged combo, and a couple cool arrow shots. Martial arts is fun but i just end up using 3 moves (kick stun, knee launch, and smoke bomb), same w/ one handed, dual wield, and hand blast. The rest of the weapons are better.

Currently playing with a rifle. NOTE TO RIFLE USERS: the combo input descriptions are wildly inaccurate. Use the up pad to look at your combos, those are how you actually pull them off (basically hold ranged then hit up or back depending on your distance, which results in one of your 4 major rifle attacks).

Top Bottom