• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Ok, so I know I'm pretty late to the party but I've just started playing this and I'm loving it. Currently level 13 but I've only been playing solo. This is my first MMO so I'd love to play in a group if I can to get the full experience so if anyone on PS4 wants to team up, preferably with new characters so we're on level footing, then give me a shout.

My PSN is 'McGreevious_'. I work shifts so I can't schedule a fixes time to play, but I'm on for an hour or two most evenings around 10pm gmt.

Jaeger

I'm about to give this game a go (Steam/PC). As of now, the MMO's I have played I can count on 2 fingers. City of Heroes was one of them. This game reminds me the most of that, and that's all really good. Knowing there is a F2P system (although limited) will help in my decision to pursue this financially after the initial test run. But just looking at videos on YouTube of the game-play (and the storyline in the awesome intro cinema) sold me on trying it out at least.

I hope to see fellow gaffers on there in the following couple of weeks! Before I jump in, is there anything I should know? Is the DLC (numerous as it is) worth it?

Thanks!

dubq

DLC is defo worth it, IMO. There is so much content in this game, I could never be bored with it. Just taking a break for a while. Will probably be back in the Summer. :)

Jaeger

DLC is defo worth it, IMO. There is so much content in this game, I could never be bored with it. Just taking a break for a while. Will probably be back in the Summer. :)

I'm gonna play as much as I can of the non DLC game, then eventually buy the Access? Pass to get access to all the DLC. Maybe for 6 months.

This is the first MMO in a decade to really get my attention. It feels right. Like City of Heroes, but better. ;)

Here is my character as of LvL 5
qIVF3pM.jpg

Varna

I started playing this recently. I always liked this game a lot and it's been the only WoW style mmo I enjoyed. Huge part of it is the DC backdrop. Just exploring such a well realized DC universe is good enough reason to play for me. Of course it helps that I really enjoy the gameplay as well... expect for the typical grind aspects of these kind of mmos.

It's unfortunate that the open world PVP is basically dead. I started a lot of new characters initially because I loved that aspect of random battles breaking out all over the city. Even high level folks ganking newbies could be fun because even as a low level character is was possible make it very hard to be taken out (via stuns, combos, running away).

dubq

https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/ne...-news-xbox-crossplay-legends-of-tomorrow-2016

XBOX One version (Spring 2016) AND PS4/PC cross play (January 25) coming soon!!

DC Universe Online is coming to Xbox One!
That’s right, Xbox fans, your wait is almost over. DCUO will be coming to Xbox in Spring 2016!

Then, on Kinda Funny Plays: DCUO, we revealed a LOT more about what’s coming up in 2016. Watch the replay video for all the action, but here are some quick highlights:

PC/PS4 Cross-Play
Have you been waiting to do battle with a friend or family member, but couldn’t because they were playing on a different platform? Get ready to save the world TOGETHER, because PC/PS4 crossplay is coming the week of January 25, 2016!

Episode 21: Inspired by the Legends of Tomorrow
Get ready for Hawkgirl, Hawkman, Captain Cold, and Atom – the Legends of Tomorrow are coming to DCUO in Episode 21 next month.

More New Storylines
In addition to Legends of Tomorrow-inspired content, you can expect new storylines in 2016 including:

A New Superman Storyline, featuring Zod, Ursa, Non, Superman, Lois Lane, Supergirl, and Superboy, now voiced by Greg Miller! The story will begin in the PhantomZone and will eventually take you all the way to the epic finish in the City of Kandor!
The finale of Halls of Power – Get ready. Darkseid’s forces are invading Central City, and we’re going to need YOUR HELP to stop them!
Harley Quinn – Love Harley Quinn? You will love this crazy storyline centered around her.
Plus, later in the year, the finale of Amazon Fury!

New Powerset: WATER
Our next powerset is Water, featuring Hydrokinetics (Hard Water Constructs, inspired by characters like Aqualad) and Tide-Calling (Waterbending, inspired by characters like Mera).

4th Color Palette
Customize your character further with the addition of a 4th choice in your color palette. More colors, more looks, more fun!

Style and Gear Unlocking
Keep up your alternate characters more easily with style and gear unlocking. Keeping to the philosophy established with unlocking feats, you will be able to unlock gear or styles on one character if you have already earned that style or gear on another.

League Recruitment Tools
Finding and joining the right League is the absolute best thing anyone can do to enjoy the game to the max, and we’re going to make that easier to do in-game.

ANNIVERSARY GIFTS!
You didn’t think we’d forget our anniversary did you? There’s a gift waiting for you to commemorate 2015: a new DC Bombshell poster for your base or league hall PLUS a Daybreak emblem for your character. You have to log in by January 31st to get these items, so don’t wait – log in now!

Also, a sweet infographic:

xqg8ex6vzzpwmjx0amob.jpg

Say this may be dumb question but is this free to play on PS4? If so then it'd be free on Xbox One as well, right?

It's free to play to an extent and that model is true for the PC as well so I assume the Xbox version will be the same. But if you really want to progress past a certain point, much of the content is not free to play. You can start out a character and play any of the original six powers (eight more, soon to be nine additional powers are in the game) and any of the weapons (except for one that was added later, Shield), but without subbing or purchasing DLC episodes, powers, etc a la cart, you'll miss a large chunk of the game. You will also have some limitations on trading, cash you can carry, use of the broker, etc.

link1201

It's free to play to an extent and that model is true for the PC as well so I assume the Xbox version will be the same. But if you really want to progress past a certain point, much of the content is not free to play. You can start out a character and play any of the original six powers (eight more, soon to be nine additional powers are in the game) and any of the weapons (except for one that was added later, Shield), but without subbing or purchasing DLC episodes, powers, etc a la cart, you'll miss a large chunk of the game. You will also have some limitations on trading, cash you can carry, use of the broker, etc.
Oh I see. Thanks for the info.

Craft

PS4 & PC crossplay is now live, and it works pretty well.

Rolled a couple of new heroes with a friend on the PC and a friend on PS4, and was able to group up and do a few missions.

Top Bottom