• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow S2 |OT| CW's Justice Society of Vancouver - Tuesdays 9/8c

Chase17

After he correctly deduced Barry's time travel shenanigans. RF could've killed Barry plenty of times if he wanted to. The only time Prime RF lost a fight to him was a 3v1 he didn't need to win.
Fair enough. Alrhough I would contend that it is even worse to fall for that bluff after deducing time travel shenanigans.

Looking back on things, I'll admit he does a fairly good job for being a villain on a superhero show (thus having the whole destined to lose thing going against him). RF stock raises due to how iffy of a villain Zoom was.

And even that one Ollie won!
Ah yes, the good ol time when Ollie took a break from league pergutary to outshine Barry with Palmtech arrows.

Skux

That episode was very messy with all the ground they had to cover for the season 2 set up. Hopefully it stabilises as each episode can focus more on a single story and time period.

The Light

I don't know. Barry is pretty dumb but still manages to consistently beat reverse flash. I don't know where that leaves Reverse Flash.
I think you mean Thawne has consistently beaten Barry.
1st time: Thawne effectively destroyed the childhood Barry should've had.
2nd time: Barry
watched Thawne do #1 from the closet
3rd time: Barry catches Thawne and not only has to let him go, but also help him get back home.
4th time: Season 3 premiere is the worst thing Thawne has done to Barry so far.

xenist

Nice to see the team continue to take losses at everything they do, in the proud tradition of the first season.

Seriously, did the writers think that a ninja assassin, a nuclear powered fire thrower, and fake Iron Man, losing a gunfight against a handful of dudes is tense rather than stupid?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have no idea what a JSA is (b-tier Justice League I assume)

The Justice Society of America predates the Justice League by about 20 years. It was DC's old "heroes team up" comic from like the 1940s. Basically superheroes got popular, and then comics moved on to other stuff (horror, crime, whatever), and then when superheroes came back into vogue, DC relaunched with new versions of their old heroes. Barry Allen as the Flash instead of Jay Garrick, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern instead of Alan Scott, etc. Of course some heroes stayed mostly the same as well, but when DC did a new team-up comic, it was Justice League instead of Justice Society.

Then there's a lot of complicated lore with alternate Earths, one of which had the old Justice Society still in operation, and the old heroes teaming up with the new ones, etc. Eventually the JSA got brought back in modern comics as its own hero organization alongside the League, but its focus was more on a generational passing of the torch kind of thing, with the older heroes teaming up with some young heroes, and also with some established heroes that weren't on the Justice League.

It actually would have been just a B-tier Justice League at that point, but then the lineup ended up being really interesting, and the stories were damned good. (This was mostly in the Geoff Johns era of the comic, IIRC.)

Old version:
xall-star-comics-4.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FPHUQoriIx.jpg

1664090-jsa_as3.jpg

Newer lineup:
jsofa-26.jpg

^I think this was the Society at its largest. I think at one point they even split into two teams.

Can't believe they filmed at Ubc and Casa Mia and I missed it.
Ah well.
Fun episode at the end. I try not to think too hard when I watch these lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
#2.04 "Abominations" Synopsis
SURVIVAL — When the Legends discover a time Aberration in 1863, they find themselves fighting for survival during the Civil War with Confederate soldiers who have been turned into zombies. With the Civil War outcome hanging in the balance, Jax (Franz Drameh) must participate in a daring mission by going to a slave plantation with Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers). Meanwhile, Sara (Caity Lotz) begins to feel the burden of the decisions she has to make as the leader, and Ray (Brandon Routh) struggles to find his purpose on the team. Victor Garber, Dominic Purcell and Nick Zano also star. Michael Allowitz directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Ray Utarnachitt.
For once, the black folks will get more than one line of dialogue on survive on a zombie show.

The episode was very good. In my opinion, it was better than this week's Flash and Arrow. I liked every member a lot and the moment Thawne showed up was so freaking awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Justice Society of America predates the Justice League by about 20 years. It was DC's old "heroes team up" comic from like the 1940s. Basically superheroes got popular, and then comics moved on to other stuff (horror, crime, whatever), and then when superheroes came back into vogue, DC relaunched with new versions of their old heroes. Barry Allen as the Flash instead of Jay Garrick, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern instead of Alan Scott, etc. Of course some heroes stayed mostly the same as well, but when DC did a new team-up comic, it was Justice League instead of Justice Society.

Then there's a lot of complicated lore with alternate Earths, one of which had the old Justice Society still in operation, and the old heroes teaming up with the new ones, etc. Eventually the JSA got brought back in modern comics as its own hero organization alongside the League, but its focus was more on a generational passing of the torch kind of thing, with the older heroes teaming up with some young heroes, and also with some established heroes that weren't on the Justice League.

It actually would have been just a B-tier Justice League at that point, but then the lineup ended up being really interesting, and the stories were damned good. (This was mostly in the Geoff Johns era of the comic, IIRC.)

Old version:
http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/images/xall-star-comics-4.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FPHUQoriIx.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/43547/1664090-jsa_as3.jpg

Newer lineup:
http://www.cosmicteams.com/jsa/img/jsofa-26.jpg
^I think this was the Society at its largest. I think at one point they even split into two teams.

So did the original comics in the 40s (assuming that's when they existed) feature black team members like the ones that showed up at the end of the episode?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So did the original comics in the 40s (assuming that's when they existed) feature black team members like the ones that showed up at the end of the episode?
Absolutely not.

They didn't even have women at first, until Wonder Woman showed up... apparently as their secretary.

Not even kidding.

So yeah, what you're seeing in Legends is definitely the more modern version of the team.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah, it makes sense to retcon/modernise the group then.

(Now I want to see a Zac Snyder movie where Wonder Woman is Superman's secretary. It'll be 3 hours long and all dark and emo)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
"Hey! We've go two guys on the team who need to merge together to use their powers."

"Great! Let's split them up on every mission!"

"Hey! We've got a character that is actually two guys who need to merge together to use their powers, requiring not only two actors on the payroll but special effects for every scene the character is in"

"Great. Let's split them up on every mission!"

ZeroX03

Banned
They want to use Victor Garber as much as possible, I'm not going to blame them. He is the lead of the show. The 67 year old lead of a CW show.

The Light

They could've done that without Firestorm. Especially with how little the writers did with Franz Drameh last season. Hopefully that will change this season.

I enjoyed this last season overall, but this was one of the worst episodes yet. The most low rent version of Doctor Who I've ever seen. Every character has been reduced to a pile of lame quips. This is the first time I feel held hostage by a DC show, since these things are all (loosely) connected. I'll keep watching. The introduction of the JSA has potential at least.

Joni

Hah, it makes sense to retcon/modernise the group then.

(Now I want to see a Zac Snyder movie where Wonder Woman is Superman's secretary. It'll be 3 hours long and all dark and emo)
It would be faithful to the Donner movies where Lois can't spell.

carlsojo

I've been giving this some thought lately:
Could Heatwave beat the Green Arrow in a fight?

Mick has probably decades, possibly centuries of experience as Kronos under his belt as the Time Master's assassin/bounty hunter. Granted he doesn't use his Time Master weapons armor anymore, but still.

Joni

Mick has probably decades, possibly centuries of experience as Kronos under his belt as the Time Master's assassin/bounty hunter. Granted he doesn't use his Time Master weapons armor anymore, but still.
He had high power weapons and didn't look that mobile, while Oliver has to rely on his body as a weapon.

Xanathus

"Hey! We've got a character that is actually two guys who need to merge together to use their powers, requiring not only two actors on the payroll but special effects for every scene the character is in"

"Great. Let's split them up on every mission!"

Yeah the whole reason this show has crappy writing is because they want to make a show about flashy superheroes but don't actually have the money to make a show about flashy superheroes.

ZeroX03

Banned

Doubt it. He's probably a bit worse than Sara. They both took down a Vandal Savage. Oliver is still the number one human. Plus it also seems he didn't really inherit a lot of tactical knowledge, he's basically still the same guy with the impulsive personality but much better hand to hand skills.

Asbel

Didn't Kronos almost beat the whole team solo a few times? Are we just talking hand to hand? Not that they won't job him.

Cross post from Flash thread, now that I've caught up:

I wonder if Flashpoint was always destined for this timeline, since in Legends last season, they go to a future Star City, and Diggle's son is the new Green Arrow. At the time, we were all, "what son," and just assumed that maybe he'd be born later, but now Diggle has a son, courtesy of Flashpoint. So, the question is did the Wave Rider move to a future where Flashpoint already happened? And if so, is all the stuff that's happening in LoT season 2 happening because
Eobard went back there due to Flashpoint
?

Joni

Cross post from Flash thread, now that I've caught up:

I wonder if Flashpoint was always destined for this timeline, since in Legends last season, they go to a future Star City, and Diggle's son is the new Green Arrow. At the time, we were all, "what son," and just assumed that maybe he'd be born later, but now Diggle has a son, courtesy of Flashpoint. So, the question is did the Wave Rider move to a future where Flashpoint already happened? And if so, is all the stuff that's happening in LoT season 2 happening because
Eobard went back there due to Flashpoint
?

The interdependence between Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash remains somewhat strange. Eobard Thawne comes from a fantastisc time where Vandal Savage obliterated the entire world. I think Legends went from a world where diggle Jr is the second kid while he becomes the first in the new timeline.

The interdependence between Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash remains somewhat strange. Eobard Thawne comes from a fantastisc time where Vandal Savage obliterated the entire world. I think Legends went from a world where diggle Jr is the second kid while he becomes the first in the new timeline.
Yeah. One of the things I found strange was that, if they were going back to that era, shouldn't Vandal Savage still be there? Like, I get that we like Darhk and Thawne more (although Savage's problem was the dumb Hawks; he himself was interesting), but Savage should also be alive at that time.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. One of the things I found strange was that, if they were going back to that era, shouldn't Vandal Savage still be there? Like, I get that we like Darhk and Thawne more (although Savage's problem was the dumb Hawks; he himself was interesting), but Savage should also be alive at that time.
I think I've come to the conclusion that with time travel, you have to make some illogical jump to say that the universe we start in (Earth 1) is the Prime Earth/Universe. Earth 1 is just "special" (a literal center of the multiverse) in that when you affect it, it's the source of the changes on the other Earth's/timelines/universes. It makes no logical sense, but it's the only way to have most of the time travel plot holes work.

I think I've come to the conclusion that with time travel, you have to make some illogical jump to say that the universe we start in (Earth 1) is the Prime Earth/Universe. Earth 1 is just "special" in that when you affect it, it's the source of the changes on the other Earth's/timelines/universes. It makes no logical sense, but it's the only way to have most of the time travel plot holes work.
I mean, that makes sense, but it shouldn't affect Vandal Savage from before he was killed, similar to how Damien Darhk is still alive. Only Eobard gets the ol' "Fuck it; Speed Force," defense for still being (and how the hell did he run underwater and into a U-boat?).

On another note, this version of Darhk is so much better than the Arrow S4 version. I'm glad he kicked the crap out of Sara (who somehow beat Vandal Savage, which was also stupid), and I really want to see him fight a pre-nerf Ra's al Ghul.

Top Bottom