• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

de Blob 2 |OT| Press A to jump!

The_Technomancer said:
I can't wait for the soundtrack release. That's going directly on my iPod.
Did the original's soundtrack ever release officially? How would that even work for de Blob, anyway? Would they just throw all the instruments in at once? Have each color instrument be a separate track? Just choose their favorite instruments? Or what?

Walshey

caligula13 said:
I don't expect anyone to know but: is the 3d on both consoles only side by side?

yes side by side on ps3 and 360

And the 3d looks really good! Immersive and complementary to the experience, just gives you a good sense of depth and draws you into the world rather than trying to give your eyes a workout like 3d in some other games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
cooljeanius said:
Did the original's soundtrack ever release officially? How would that even work for de Blob, anyway? Would they just throw all the instruments in at once? Have each color instrument be a separate track? Just choose their favorite instruments? Or what?

As I posted in the other thread, and again for bragging;

blob5nwh.jpg

de Blob's OST is a combination of tracks composed by John Guscott, and performed by a rather large number of great Melbourne musicians. Like any game, the OST is more 'structured' versions of the tunes and tracks you can find in the game.

It's really great. Guscott is doing this one too, so I expect it to be just as good. When I interviewed Hagger he did say Guscott was going for a different vibe this time though.

Shit, I've still gotta play the first one. I can't find it anywhere in Victoria. Surprises me too given its Australian roots.

caligula13

Gold Member
Walshey said:
yes side by side on ps3 and 360

And the 3d looks really good! Immersive and complementary to the experience, just gives you a good sense of depth and draws you into the world rather than trying to give your eyes a workout like 3d in some other games.

thanks for the info!

now i will probably buy it for xbox360. i am not sure, is there any online multiplayer?
and for what do they use move?

_Alkaline_ said:
Shit, I've still gotta play the first one. I can't find it anywhere in Victoria. Surprises me too given its Australian roots.
Its true roots are Dutch.

Dutch students made a game called de blob for a city project to bring back collar back to life int he city of Utrecht.
And THQ picked up the rights after that.

The Dutch Slayer said:
Its true roots are Dutch.

Dutch students made a game called de blob for a city project to bring back collar back to life int he city of Utrecht.
And THQ picked up the rights after that.
yup

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
The_Technomancer said:
IGN review is in: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1150869p1.html

Only an 8.0, surprising. Still, of everything mentioned in the review the only thing I don't like the sound of is more of a focus on completing linear goals in each level.
The Wii review is up as well. Seems content wise all versions are identical. No real differences except graphics/resolution and the Wii uses the speaker in the remote for some parts (which he seemed to like). Oddly the Wii actually scored a little higher in graphics with an 8.0 vs the PS3/360 scoring a 7.5. I guess he scored it relative to the graphical capabilities of the platforms.

Sagitario

Still can't decide the console :p

VideoMan said:
The Wii review is up as well. Seems content wise all versions are identical. No real differences except graphics/resolution and the Wii uses the speaker in the remote for some parts (which he seemed to like). Oddly the Wii actually scored a little higher in graphics with an 8.0 vs the PS3/360 scoring a 7.5. I guess he scored it relative to the graphical capabilities of the platforms.

As it should be.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Walshey said:
Giant Bomb quick look
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-de-blob-2/17-3802/
Funilly enough there is actually a turn colour names on in options for colour blind people.

and first wii metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/de-blob-2
I love how they mention that Vinny is colour blind for the ENTIRE quick look, and don't even look in the options once.

And how there is a building flashing red, and Brad continues to just fart around aimlessly.

Damn, GB QLs can be so frustrating to watch. They mention numerous times it's a 'kids game' yet they don't even 'get' the game themselves.

dreamfall

this looks absolutely fantastic! forget shooting things, i want to color environments! (are people buying it on the ps3 or 360- are there differences in presentation?)

Walshey

dreamfall said:
this looks absolutely fantastic! forget shooting things, i want to color environments! (are people buying it on the ps3 or 360- are there differences in presentation?)

They are pretty much identical in frame rate and looks and both support 3D!

Impressions-GAF, assemble! I'm getting it anyway but won't be able to pick it up til the weekend, the wait's killing me and I've been on media blackout.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Picked up the Wii version today. Kmart has a deal for $15 credit with purchase on all versions except DS. Great deal if you've got a Kmart near you.

Played through the first level. Got 100% and S-rank. Feels good man.

So far I'm loving it. They fixed all the little problems from the first one with all the fun and charm still intact. It's pretty much everything you could want from a sequel.

I can confirm there's no option to turn on motion control in the Wii version. Good riddance to motion jumping but I kinda miss slamming the controller down to attack.

Just for giggles I tried plugging the classic controller in and it doesn't support that either.

Fantastical said:
Damnnnnn. I must get this, but unfortunately, I'll have to wait for a lower price. 3DS will eat my wallet.
Same here, loved the first one and this is the first time I'm doing it this gen, but waiting for a price drop (or my gaming budget to recover post 3DS, not much else I'm looking forward to anyhow).

VideoMan said:
I can confirm there's no option to turn on motion control in the Wii version. Good riddance to motion jumping but I kinda miss slamming the controller down to attack.
Whaat? That's so lame, why would they not even give you the option to play it with a control scheme that literally would've cost nothing to implement since it was already implemented in the original? Hopefully someone comes out with a code that lets you play with motion controls using homebrew.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
nincompoop said:
Whaat? That's so lame, why would they not even give you the option to play it with a control scheme that literally would've cost nothing to implement since it was already implemented in the original? Hopefully someone comes out with a code that lets you play with motion controls using homebrew.
Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed too. What's even more baffling is why they bothered adding Move support for the PS3 version. There is absolutely no motion control in the game what so ever. On top of that, the Move doesn't have a dpad on the main controller so there's no way to control the camera. On the Wii it's done with the dpad on the Wii remote. The Navigator controller has a dpad below the analog stick but if they mapped camera to that you couldn't move and control the camera at the same time. It makes no sense.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I liked the first game on the Wii a lot but after watching the Giant Bomb quick look I'm probably going to get this on the 360 or PS3. The HD version really does look great.

Rlan

First review of De Blob 2 for DS, which I had a hand in doing levels for :)

http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/115/1151513p1.html

de-blob-2-20110222062541380_640w.jpg
de-blob-2-20110222062541974_640w.jpg
de-blob-2-20110222062542490_640w.jpg

Even so, it's great fun cutting a swathe of colour with every step - or roll, as the case may be. While the painting may be less dynamic than on console, it's still gratifying having such an immediate and quantifiable impact on the world. Drab propaganda posters burst into colour, rescued Raydians squeal with glee and security cameras become disco balls.

Blob controls really well. Wall-jumping is a breeze, as is locking onto and leaping towards enemies, switches, slingshot points, boost pads and paint dispensers. In fact, the lock-on system gives the game a sense of pace and swift motion that's neatly balanced by precise controls for movement and jumping. Occasionally you might find you'll accidentally lock to a slingshot point instead of an enemy – or something similar, but those moments aren't deal breakers by any stretch of the imagination.

The level design is straightforward but flows nicely, taking Blob from city streets to underground lairs. New ideas and mechanics are introduced steadily, such as rotating blades and black ink jets to avoid, slingshot points that allow Blob to fire himself through the air and a variety of enemies. Before long enemies will be tossing ink bombs at you or wearing armour, so that only a stomp move can take them out.

Gameplay
Well-designed, tight and responsive. It’s fun – and kids will love it, but ultimately lacks punch for platform veterans.

7.5 / 10 :)

LM4sure

Banned
Man, this game snuck up on me. Had a lot of fun with the first one. Might have to pick this one up, but might still with the Wii version given the price difference.

Yeah, I'm totally waiting on the 3DS version...I assume it will be the same as the console ones and not built off the DS one.

(Not to diss the DS one at all, I just love the idea of the full beautiful open world game in 3D!)

EDIT: Actually that looks pretty awesome, cooler than the earliest preview looked! Rlan, have you heard anything about the 3DS version? Are you guys porting it, is it shelved or what?

CrunchyFrog said:
Impressions-GAF, assemble! I'm getting it anyway but won't be able to pick it up til the weekend, the wait's killing me and I've been on media blackout.

I played through the first two levels of the Xbox 360 version last night and I really enjoyed it.

The gameplay is varied enough that it's not just splash around and hit some white boxes with color. Mixing color and wall running/jumping add some interesting complexity to the (simple) puzzles and item collection. The platforming is simple and mostly OK, but I did fight with the camera from time to time. The 2D sections are pretty cool and break up the 3D sections nicely.

The music is really interesting and the way they manipulate it through fades and addition/subtraction is very well done.

The graphics are nice and colorful, but nothing special.

There are essentially 3 sets of objectives and 3 sets of collectathons for each level, in addition to the main "story" part of each level. The game has a neat HUD which appears/disappears by pressing Y. It hovers around you like a ring, and excepting some of the collectathon stuff, everything shows up on the ring (it's really a wonderful HUD).

Achievements (360; 25 for 1000) are pretty stupid. They're broken into finish the story mode achievements and collect a bunch of shit achievements. They feel a little tacked on, but achievement hunters should be able to get 1000 pretty easily. It might require 2 playthroughs to get 1000 (one achievement is iffy) if that's your bag.

It has options for co-op story mode, but I didn't try that. Apparently the robot that flies around and berates you can be controlled by a second person.

I didn't try the secondary non-story mode.

PROS
Fun and colorful, solid gameplay and controls
Stress-free
Music and music production are excellent
Perfect game for children (although adults should enjoy, too)
Co-op modes available

CONS
Initial objectives are timed, which makes no sense, but isn't really a big deal (you can free roam after you complete the story objectives)
Impossible to die?

Great for: stoners, children, and people who enjoy platformers

Always-honest said:
15 minutes for each level right?

Sort of. You collect additional time by doing story objectives. You shouldn't have to worry about the timer at all unless you do a ton of sidequests before finishing the level. And you can do all of those sidequests with no timer after you finish the level.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dr Stabbingworth said:
PROS
Fun and colorful, solid gameplay and controls
Stress-free
Music and music production are excellent
Perfect game for children (although adults should enjoy, too)
Co-op modes available

CONS
Initial objectives are timed, which makes no sense, but isn't really a big deal (you can free roam after you complete the story objectives)
Impossible to die?
Sounds good so far. If its anything like the first game, you'll definitely be able to die as they throw more navigation around lakes of ink at you. Enemies in the first never got to tough, but that damn ink.

Shiggy

Rlan said:
First review of De Blob 2 for DS, which I had a hand in doing levels for :)

Congrats ;)
Did you start from the very beginning or did you reuse some stuff from the canned De Blob 1 DS?

wouwie

I never played the first one as i don't have a wii. However, i like funny cheerful happy platform games (Ratchet & Clank on PS3 for example) so i'm wondering: would this game be something for me? I would play it on ps3.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
wouwie said:
I never played the first one as i don't have a wii. However, i like funny cheerful happy platform games (Ratchet & Clank on PS3 for example) so i'm wondering: would this game be something for me? I would play it on ps3.
Dude, this is the definition of funny, cheerful and happy. Probably the most so of any game I've played. You'll want to give this a try. The original never fails to put a huge grin on my face while I play.

The original de Blob was good fun, and the funk-tastic music made some of the more overbearing segments feel like less of a pain. Along with the changes and additions to the game play for de Blob 2, I'm just as much looking forward to the new soundtrack!

Top Bottom