• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

de Blob 2 |OT| Press A to jump!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Really? How did that happen?
Can you go into a bit more detail about it?

Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

platinumdragon7

Neo Member
I may dust off my Move controller and pick this up. I played the first one briefly on a friend's Wii and like it, but I only have a PS3. It's cool that we're getting a Wii game that looks cool.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good enough for me. I guess I'll order that and the DS version.
Edit - Rather, hit up GS tomorrow since I think I have $50 in credit over there.

Shaneus

EatChildren said:
THQ have huge plans for de Blob. Like, cartoon series huge.
Like, Viva Pinata huge?

Definitely picking this up, just not sure whether I'll go for the PS3 w/ Move or 360 w/ fuck-all versions.

Any differences other than that? The reviews in the OP don't mention which system :/

So what's the waggle, as it were, like in de Blob? Is it used for basic movement? How is it used in this game? Is using sticks preferable or does whatever the motion control entails add something viable to the game? I didn't play the first game, so I have no idea how it all worked aside from what I've seen in Giant Bomb's QL of this game.

Trying to decide which version to pick up, but they all have their downsides at the moment (Wii not being HD, 360 being the only system I have with me at school but no motion control, and PS3 being loaned out to a friend and possibly having to invest in a Move). Any advice would be welcomed, since I really wanna check this game out.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Don't buy a Move to play de Blob 2. They've removed all motion controls from the game. In fact, playing with the Move controller is the worst control scheme across all versions of the game because the camera control is gimped. They've mapped camera left and right to x and circle on the Move wand and to the dpad on the navigator/ds3. That means you can't move the camera up or down while moving because you take your thumb off the analog stick to use the dpad.

The only thing Move would be good for is the second player in coop mode since it's just a cursor on screen like the second player helper mode in Super Mario Galaxy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the 360 version supports 3D as well.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Eh, just got a little farther in the game and there is a little waggle left in. You shake off certain enemies when they cling to you.

I was worried the Wii version would be developed by some C-string team, but I guess I'll get the Wii version after all. The DS version sounds neat, too.

dreamfall

Bought it at launch and absolutely loving it (PS3)! I think this game inspires happiness, or just colorful excitement. The music is fucking astoundingly incredible, and the platforming feels wonderful. I know reviewers are complaining about too much hand-holding, but honestly after finishing the main objectives in a level, item collecting and exploration feel perfect. I've tried messing around with the Move controls- and it is a bit difficult because of the fact that the Camera tilts with Up/Down on the Nav controller as previously mentioned.

Still- it's just really fun. Simple bliss, and I've only completed every objective of the Paradise Island level. Looking forward to coming home from work to play an hour or so every night from here on out!

Really wish I could buy this right now. Loved original de Blob, but lack of money for the next few weeks prevents me from doing so.

Damn economy.

VAIL

Just got done the first section (Wii version)

Great just like the original the targeting took a moment to get used to, but the atmosphere from the original is back and that damn awesome music as well...

Good stuff :)

Great! Glad to hear the charm is still there that I loved in the first game. I have a copy for 360 just waiting to be played. Unfortunately, I made plans tonight with some friends so I can't get to it just yet... soon though! SOON!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, playing off and on last night and tonight, just got through the fifth section, the University. Really enjoying it so far, a few comments:

Positives:
-2D sidecrolling sections are tight and fun, although a bit simplistic. Very satisfying to complete and transform.
-Transform engines and mid-level gates are much more satisfying as well.
-Cutscenes are absolutely brilliant.

Negatives:
-In the first game you had a pretty freeform approach to any level, you could unlock the next section by painting wildly, or completing challenges. In this game you have to complete challenges linearly, in order, to unlock each area.
-Maybe its just me, but the music takes a lot longer to get going this time. Which is frustrating when I get inked and it dies off.

Rlan

Finally, another review for De Blob 2 on DS -- 7.5 from Gamespot :)

http://au.gamespot.com/ds/action/deblobtheunderground/review.html

Color is crucial throughout de Blob 2. Blob can change color by passing through jets of paint or by crushing paint-carrying robots called paintbots, and colors can be mixed. Smashing a blue Blob into a red paintbot results in a purple Blob, for instance. Blob often needs to be a specific color to trigger a switch or defeat an enemy, but the most interesting use of color involves platforms. There are phantom platforms of various colors that you often need to jump on to reach your goal. Blob passes right through these unless he lands on them when matching their color, at which point they immediately become solid. This becomes especially engaging during some levels late in the game involving platforms that fade into existence when Blob matches their color and fade out the instant Blob changes color. In some cases, you need to become one color to activate a platform that lets you wall-jump into a jet of a different color, which activates the next platform that you need in order to make your way up.

Moments like this help make color an integral part of the gameplay. The vibrant colors also make the visuals distinctive. As Blob rolls along, the previously dull gray backgrounds automatically become coated with his current color, fostering a cheerful mood that reinforces the good, simple fun to be had in jumping around these levels and crushing Inkies. Blob's presence also has other effects that are sure to make you feel good, like making barren trees sprout to life and turning surveillance cameras into disco balls. And the music contributes to the mood in a big way. A groovy beat provides the foundation for constant musical flourishes in response to your actions. Make your way through a section of a level with Blob coating the walls in red and a horn might acknowledge each splash of color; switch to green and jazzy piano riffs might chime in instead.

Just beat the first level. It's good ol' Blob!

Definitely feels like more of the same so far but that's ok since the first game is in my top 5 list for the entire console generation.

I like how they made the Graydians and painting everything a challenge so that it's easier to keep track of.

I would have bought this for wii if that was the only console it was released for since the first game was excellent but I picked it up for the 360 because I figured the graphics would be cleaner. I'm not sure how it compares but this version seems really nice so far.

Anyone that liked the first game at all: BUY THIS.

I just wish De Blob would show up in Black Ops and paint everyone's gun rainbow colors and try to make the masses crack a smile for once.

besiktas1

So probably going to get biased answers but;

I've just finished Dead Space 2 and now Killzone 3, so after them "heavy" games, I'm in the market for something a bit light. Just pure fun.

It's out of this and Sly Cooper collection (never played any of them). Which shall I get?

The Technomancer

added_time said:
Just beat the first level. It's good ol' Blob!

Definitely feels like more of the same so far but that's ok since the first game is in my top 5 list for the entire console generation.

I like how they made the Graydians and painting everything a challenge so that it's easier to keep track of.

I would have bought this for wii if that was the only console it was released for since the first game was excellent but I picked it up for the 360 because I figured the graphics would be cleaner. I'm not sure how it compares but this version seems really nice so far.

Anyone that liked the first game at all: BUY THIS.

I just wish De Blob would show up in Black Ops and paint everyone's gun rainbow colors and try to make the masses crack a smile for once.
156981_1684015452657_1005747281_31842952_6442338_n.jpg

besiktas1 said:
It's out of this and Sly Cooper collection (never played any of them). Which shall I get?

I would go with De Blob for sure but only because the style of game is perfect for me. I don't have a PS3 but I had a PS2 and I always preferred Ratchet and Clank over Sly Cooper (but some people on GAF think that opinion is crazy).
However, it's 3 games in one.. so I guess if you like any Sly game then that would be the best choice because it's a good value.

The_Technomancer said:

...and just like that, the most boring game ever made is saved by our colorful hero!

VideoMan said:
Download the full de Blob 2 soundtrack for free! You need a Gamespot account.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/deblobtheunderground/news.html?sid=6301134&mode=features

You know, for a video man, you sure know how to bring it with the killer audio. I love you for this find!

First experience with de Blob and after getting through that first level, I'm really seeing where all the positive vibes around this franchise come from. The music flourishes had me experimenting with every new color I came across and the feeling I got afterward as I looked around the entire level (your creation) is really close to what I felt after finishing a level in Flower. Seems like the two games share some design principles. As to whether one was borne or inspired out of the other is another question. Either way, I'm a fan of this relaxed gaming movement. This is speaking as a Battlefield/COD lover.

Having said that, I also understand why people aren't digging the timed objectives. I could absolutely see it where I'd lose myself just doing the bonus objectives, and having that timer (however generous it was in that first level) kind of messes up the freeform objective style that this game seems to really be going (and suited) for. This was something that Flower achieved beautifully, and I kind of wish there was an option or even a cheat/patch to do away with the timer.

By the way, for those who've made it further into the game, does the time limit stay pretty generous? Or do you find yourself pressing against the time limit later on and having to prioritize the story objectives above everything else?

Dr. Spaceman said:
By the way, for those who've made it further into the game, does the time limit stay pretty generous? Or do you find yourself pressing against the time limit later on and having to prioritize the story objectives above everything else?

I haven't had any problems with time yet... but I have noticed that sometimes getting sidetracked on painting blocks and rescuing Graydians can actually make it easier since you get time bonuses for things like that. Especially if it's one the way to your next objective to do something like that.

legend166

There's just something about this game that makes it so enjoyable to play. It's a shame it doesn't have a bigger profile on GAF. Three pages for the official thread is pretty disappointing.

I think it's the way it indulges the collectathon aspect of video games, but gives you an immediate reward. And not in a superficial "here, have another life even though it's impossible to die anyway" way. The reward is simply seeing a dull, gray building transformed. It's genuinely rewarding. I think the game actually shows the difference between this aspect and the more traditional aspect. In every level I will do my best to paint every single building, tree and billboard I can find. But I don't give a damn about collecting all the light bulbs.

Does anyone possibly have a link to the mp3 version of the soundtrack? I really want to listen to it now but downloading 450mb of uncompressed wav files to my phone over a 3G network probably isn't a good idea.

Tailzo

Lonesome_Raod said:
As stated in the cheapassagaffer thread this game is £17.95 on Zavvi.com. I've got myself a copy.
Yeah, me too. Looking forward to play this with my wife. Getting the ps3 version. Is the co-op as good as the singleplayer?

The Technomancer

Alright, Soda Factory is my favorite level so far. Which is odd, because its also the most linear, and I complained about that earlier. This level works really well though.

Dr. Spaceman said:
Still pretty mellow. Don't forget you can go back to any level in free play and muck about all you want.

The Technomancer

Yeah, the time limits are almost never stressful so much as they make you reflect "whats the point of these limits?"

Also, Soda Factory was actually moderately challenging. Screw you, green tower.

A Tour Through the de Blob 2 User Ratings on Metacritic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

User: "Walshey"

De Blob 2 - Xbox 360 - 10!
De Blob 2 - PS3 - 10!
De Blob 2 - Wii - 10!
(Never reviewed any other games)

He loved the game so much, he reviewed it three times on separate platforms!

User: "Obelisk8"

De Blob 2 - Wii - 9!
(Never reviewed any other games)

User: "M40R4"

De Blob 2 - PS3 - 10!
De Blob 2 - Wii - 10!
(Reviewed one other game, ever)

User: "cal1998"

De Blob 2 - Wii - 10!
(Reviewed two other games - and gave Epic Mickey a 6/10)

User: "RastamarlinFer"

De Blob 2 - Wii - 9!
(Never reviewed any other games.)

This isn't the sort of pattern that one associates with a co-ordinated campaign at all, but it is the sort of pattern that one associates with interested parties signing up and hoping to drum up a bit of visibility for a game.

Wolves Evolve said:
This isn't the sort of pattern that one associates with a co-ordinated campaign at all, but it is the sort of pattern that one associates with interested parties signing up and hoping to drum up a bit of visibility for a game.
Hmm

So is that what they call astroturfing?

No. Astroturfing is about a centrally organised and deceptive campaign. This is neither. This is more like a few people feeling depressed about how things are going, staying up late drinking moonshine and seeing where they can do some good. They may be devs, but they also may be fans, friends of friends, etc. Who knows. My point wasn't a gotcha, though. I guess my point was that nobody is thinking about the game enough two weeks after sales start to say anything on this particular online forum. That may not be bad, but its probably not good.

The Technomancer

I'm a little worried about sales, but I have no idea what they've been doing to promote this, beyond the facebook page and such.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Lonesome_Raod said:
As stated in the cheapassagaffer thread this game is £17.95 on Zavvi.com. I've got myself a copy.

Thanks for the heads up. I nearly bought it for £23 a couple of days ago too.

Closest comparison I can think of would be the Jet Set Radio games. Also, your posting like the witch from Banjo Kazooie is really annoying.

Top Bottom