• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Apoc87

Banned
PS3 version. Is this a glitch?

I'm playing as Sam B,
and I recently placed one of the orange skulls on top of the indicated pile to recieve "developers no. 1 craft". The description stated that it was a mod for "electro body" that modified a basic military throwing knife, for heavy damage and shock effect until the victim is dead.

But the description said I didnt NEED a military knife, only 5x diamonds, a battery, and $10000.

I went to a work bench, and actually spent the cash and material to make the weapon. The game took my cash and material, but I did not recieve a weapon (no pick up indicator, and its not in my inventory.) Do I have to find a military knife before I can mod it?

If someone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

edit:
I also noticed that some weapons DO in fact disappear from my inventory when a game is continued after the console is shut off. Specifically a heavy pistol obtained from a family man in Moresby. I make SURE to make it to a checkpoint and verify that the game saves.
Does this happen to anyone here? Even after the patches and fixes?

Cudder

PS3 version. Is this a glitch?

I'm playing as Sam B,
and I recently placed one of the orange skulls on top of the indicated pile to recieve "developers no. 1 craft". The description stated that it was a mod for "electro body" that modified a basic military throwing knife, for heavy damage and shock effect until the victim is dead.

But the description said I didnt NEED a military knife, only 5x diamonds, a battery, and $10000.

I went to a work bench, and actually spent the cash and material to make the weapon. The game took my cash and material, but I did not recieve a weapon (no pick up indicator, and its not in my inventory.) Do I have to find a military knife before I can mod it?

If someone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

edit:
I also noticed that some weapons DO in fact disappear from my inventory when a game is continued after the console is shut off. Specifically a heavy pistol obtained from a family man in Moresby. I make SURE to make it to a checkpoint and verify that the game saves.
Does this happen to anyone here? Even after the patches and fixes?

Dude, I just popped the disc in for the first time in about 15 days after taking a short break from the game, and returned to the game with every weapon I had GONE. Every. Single. Fucking. One.

I'm about 60 hours in the game and just about to go to the Prison area. I even deleted my game save data and copied my recent save data again from the PS+ Cloud and the same shit happened. What in the fucking fuck? How am I supposed to beat the game now that I have to re acquire all of my goddamn weapons from scratch?

Fuckin' hell...

daviyoung

Banned
Not sure about achievements (don't think there are), but there is definitely no co-op. Giant Bomb have done a Quick Look so there is more information in there.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This game is a piece of shit in coop. No penalty for death = total and utter fail. Fuck this, I regret that I talked my friend into buying this because I really liked singeplayer campaign but now I have to play it in coop.

subversus

There is a penalty. You lose a significant amount of money.

this is not a penalty. When I die in SP I go back to the checkpoint which can be pretty far. Also if I'm doing a quest and decide to quit the game usually it means that all progress on this quest will be lost. I like that too. I decided to complete the game in SP and then finish it in coop with the friend because I'm responsible for his purchase.

subversus

well, I just learned that checkpoints can be VERY close even in single player. Fuck this.

Going back to checkpoint with all progress and enemies reset. I would also prefer going back to the base and permadeath as options.

The game works pretty much the same online and offline so that would be kind of impossible to do. Unless you wanted to mess up the progress and spawn enemies in the middle of other players. It's an always online kind of game even if you're playing solo.

I think there's mods that give you permadeath if that's really you're thing.

subversus

I think there's mods that give you permadeath if that's really you're thing.

unfortunately no! There is a mod that strips you of all money you have but it also intorduces one-hit death.

As for online I don't see the problem. The second player goes back to checkpoint too.

unfortunately no! There is a mod that strips you of all money you have but it also intorduces one-hit death.

As for online I don't see the problem. The second player goes back to checkpoint too.

Really? You die and the other player gets fucked? That's your great idea? o0

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Heya, just installed this and I've played for like 2-3 hours. I find the game being rather enjoyable but I'm already getting bored of the combat and the game in general. Is it worth sticking through with the game? Or is there just more of the same ahead?

daviyoung

Banned
Heya, just installed this and I've played for like 2-3 hours. I find the game being rather enjoyable but I'm already getting bored of the combat and the game in general. Is it worth sticking through with the game? Or is there just more of the same ahead?

It's pretty much more of the same in different locations. There are a few more different enemies to fight, and better weapons but the resort area of the game is the best part. Once you're onto area two, it gets a lot more linear.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's pretty much more of the same in different locations. There are a few more different enemies to fight, and better weapons but the resort area of the game is the best part. Once you're onto area two, it gets a lot more linear.

Thanks, guess I'll play a bit more and consider myself gotten my moneys worth out of the game.

subversus

Is this game still good if you have no one for Co-op?

it's even better for me. At least there is some tension.

Really? You die and the other player gets fucked? That's your great idea? o0

sorry, my mistake - I meant that when BOTH players die they go back to checkpoint. The other one just lies on the ground if he is "dead" so he could be revived.

Troll

Banned
Hey guys, seems like the community is... dead .. for this game but I thought I would post anyways.

I picked the game up not too long ago and wanted to get some help with achievements, I would like to ask to join a game with a level one character so that my level 42 can get a bunch of easy kills.

If anyone wants to try this out let me know, very fun game.

ExReey

I'm thinking of buying this game, now that the price has dropped to ~17€ (www.play.com).

Do people still play this game online? Is it hard to find some random people to join a coop game?

Footos22

I see this has gained a Game of the year edition without actually winning 1 game of the year award.

Justified through sales the developers have stated.

If thats the case i can't wait for Zumba GOTY Edition

7XuAv.png

Gives Arkham city a run for its money!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Wanted to bump this thread since I can't make a thread anymore. How did this game get so much praise? I mean, does it get better? I've played it for 3 hours and it's honestly so boring and bland. The combat gets old fast, and there is basically no story. What a massive fuckup for a zombie free roam game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Console or PC? I'm getty the GOTY ed. (X360). Should I be scared?

I haven't been following the game for a while... but at launch the PS3 version was scary bad. And for months after. The thing was eating game saves and randomly gobbling up chunks of progress. Find and upgrade and awesome weapon, only to have it disappear from your inventory. All kinds of problems with co-op.

I think PS3 was probably the worst. I hear they fixed some stuff, but it was the buggiest most broken non-shovelware game that I have ever played. Eventually I just stopped playing.

Too bad, because the game was kinda fun. I've been thinking about picking it up again... maybe.

Melchiah

I haven't been following the game for a while... but at launch the PS3 version was scary bad. And for months after. The thing was eating game saves and randomly gobbling up chunks of progress. Find and upgrade and awesome weapon, only to have it disappear from your inventory. All kinds of problems with co-op.

I think PS3 was probably the worst. I hear they fixed some stuff, but it was the buggiest most broken non-shovelware game that I have ever played. Eventually I just stopped playing.

Too bad, because the game was kinda fun. I've been thinking about picking it up again... maybe.

I dunno when it was patched, but I got the PS3 version from my girlfriend for xmas, four months after the release, and I haven't witnessed any of the problems you mentioned. In fact, I enjoyed the game quite a lot, but I haven't played it for a while due to ME3 multiplayer and the PS+ content taking all of my gaming time recently. The game can get a bit repetitive though.

I think the X360 GOTY edition will be OK. All DLCs and patches included for an awesome price (~13GBP). I'll play it with three of my friends.
I read about those horrors at the launch of the game (all versions were pretty fucked) and I'm glad I waited for the GOTY ed.
I'll post my impressions once I start it (late July for me).

Patryn

Wanted to bump this thread since I can't make a thread anymore. How did this game get so much praise? I mean, does it get better? I've played it for 3 hours and it's honestly so boring and bland. The combat gets old fast, and there is basically no story. What a massive fuckup for a zombie free roam game.

Zombies + Loot + A decent melee first person combat system = fun.

But if you're not enjoying the first act, you should stop now, because it's the best act and each subsequent act gets worse and worse.

Have you turned on analog combat controls? If you haven't, you're not experiencing the true combat. Not saying you'll like it, it's just a lot better than the digital mode.

Evolved1

Zombies + Loot + A decent melee first person combat system = fun.

But if you're not enjoying the first act, you should stop now, because it's the best act and each subsequent act gets worse and worse.

Have you turned on analog combat controls? If you haven't, you're not experiencing the true combat. Not saying you'll like it, it's just a lot better than the digital mode.

Imo analog is only fun in co-op... it gives you a lot of control but at a cost of other control... and breaks down when you're facing a mob by yourself.

So I'd recommend sticking to digital unless you're playing with a friend.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I bought this game in the Steam summer sale.

I think I messed up. I just started playing and it's... just a really weird and seemingly rushed experience.

Ferrio

Banned
Just started playing this from steam purchase... it gives me a damn headache. I never get headaches in any game, even fpses. WTF. Even with the FOV jacked up a bit, it still isn't right. Can't put my finger on it.

Evolved1

So I picked this up again... anyone what to do co-op with me on PS3?

edit: nvm, this game is still a pile of shit.

So, I rarely feel compelled to write about a game and Dead Island was no exception until I started playing the Ryder White campaign.

This DLC feels so cheap to me. It's like they forgot that the characters movements + stamina bar + enclosed spaces don't make for a good game when you start tossing in tons of fast-running infected. It's like they suddenly decided they wanted to make the gameplay more akin to Vanquish, yet forgot that your character isn't suited for that speed of gameplay. I've had so many cheap deaths since starting this DLC that I'm just frustrated by it. And I swear it feels like at some spots they have infinitely regenerating infected.

Why, yes, please force me down a 5-foot wide sewer path and throw 7 infected at me. That seems pretty fair. It's not like I move at the speed of a 3-legged turtle in this game or can't swing more than 5 times before getting winded. What happened to fast-moving infected being an every-so-often occurrence as opposed to a standard enemy type? What happened to the minutia of strategy in the regular game mode that forced you to strategically pick who you attack first?

I actually liked the main game just fine, but this DLC seems not even worth it so far.

Melchiah

This DLC feels so cheap to me. It's like they forgot that the characters movements + stamina bar + enclosed spaces don't make for a good game when you start tossing in tons of fast-running infected. It's like they suddenly decided they wanted to make the gameplay more akin to Vanquish, yet forgot that your character isn't suited for that speed of gameplay. I've had so many cheap deaths since starting this DLC that I'm just frustrated by it. And I swear it feels like at some spots they have infinitely regenerating infected.

I'm playing the game by myself, and until I reached the city I had enjoyed the game. Yesterday I came across a sidequest that's located in the quarantine area, and it was exactly as you described. After several futile attempts I decided to try some other mission.

It's obvious the game is meant to be played on co-op, as it can be quite hard when playing alone. What makes matters worse is that the game was released a year ago, and there isn't much players around, and I don't know anyone with a PS3 still playing the game.

I suppose it wouldn't have been that hard to optimize the gameplay so that the zombies' level/amount scaled according to the number of players, but it doesn't seem to be so. I'm already dreading the harder missions ahead, as the quarantine zone was a medium-level mission.

I'm playing the game by myself, and until I reached the city I had enjoyed the game. Yesterday I came across a sidequest that's located in the quarantine area, and it was exactly as you described. After several futile attempts I decided to try some other mission.

It's obvious the game is meant to be played on co-op, as it can be quite hard when playing alone. What makes matters worse is that the game was released a year ago, and there isn't much players around, and I don't know anyone with a PS3 still playing the game.

I suppose it wouldn't have been that hard to optimize the gameplay so that the zombies' level/amount scaled according to the number of players, but it doesn't seem to be so. I'm already dreading the harder missions ahead, as the quarantine zone was a medium-level mission.

Are you talking about the regular game or the DLC? If you're talking the regular game, then you may want to skip the Ryder White DLC altogether. So far it takes place entirely in the city and the number of infected they throw at you at one time is worse than anything I ever experienced in the regular game.

Melchiah

Are you talking about the regular game or the DLC? If you're talking the regular game, then you may want to skip the Ryder White DLC altogether. So far it takes place entirely in the city and the number of infected they throw at you at one time is worse than anything I ever experienced in the regular game.

The regular. I've already bought the Ryder White DLC, but I have no idea when it becomes available in the game. It does sound similar to the sidequest in the city I was playing last week.

EDIT: I've noticed I have a bad habit of buying DLC for games I haven't even played through yet, and this wouldn't be the first time I might not even play the DLC.

The regular. I've already bought the Ryder White DLC, but I have no idea when it becomes available in the game. It does sound similar to the sidequest in the city I was playing last week.

I think he's selectable from the new game character select screen. I think you can play as him even before completing the actual game.

EDIT: I've noticed I have a bad habit of buying DLC for games I haven't even played through yet, and this wouldn't be the first time I might not even play the DLC.

I'd certainly try it out, but just be warned about the infected cheapness. I haven't tried going back and playing it since I made my original post.

Melchiah

I think he's selectable from the new game character select screen. I think you can play as him even before completing the actual game.

I'd certainly try it out, but just be warned about the infected cheapness. I haven't tried going back and playing it since I made my original post.

Ah, I thought it just becomes available, when I've reached a certain point in the game, or after I've played it through.

It sounds like a mission I'd hate, but I guess I'll try it at some point.

Top Bottom