• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

FerranMG

Oops, let me see if I can help:

Basically there are two types of progress in Dead Island; character and story. Character progress is persistent, so if you take your character into another game all the experience and loot you get will be saved to your character. When you join someone else's game, your story progress will only advance if they are at precisely the same point in the main story as you. So if you are in Act 2 and you join a game which is still in Act 1, you will get to keep the experience and rewards for the quests you do with your buddies, but your story progress will not advance. The same principle applies if you join a game which has progressed the story further than yours.

If you join a game which is less progressed than yours, once you reach the point in the main story that your game has reached the game will notify you that it's going to be tracking main quest progress for the rest of that co-op session. If you want to ensure that you're always in control of the main story progress when playing with randoms, just let other people join your game but don't join theirs.

Unfortunately I can't help with these. There is a little mod for the PC version which allows you to fix the crappy limited FOV which is the most likely cause of your motion-sickness, but unfortunately you're stuck with it on 360.

Cool, thanks a lot!
Questions about coop and progress have been mainly addressed, but I have one more little doubt. Say someone joins my game (so theoretically the story will progress), but instead of doing the quest I'm doing at the moment, they decided to go for sidequests or, well, just a different mission. Will the progress of _my_ game be affected by this?
To put it in other words, can two different players do two different missions at the same time, so that both mission count towards game progression?

adelante

Cool, thanks a lot!
Questions about coop and progress have been mainly addressed, but I have one more little doubt. Say someone joins my game (so theoretically the story will progress), but instead of doing the quest I'm doing at the moment, they decided to go for sidequests or, well, just a different mission. Will the progress of _my_ game be affected by this?
To put it in other words, can two different players do two different missions at the same time, so that both mission count towards game progression?

Yep your buddies can go about doing other sidequests simultaneously, and it'll count towards *your* game progression. There will be missions that require all players though, and its usually when the game needs to load a new location/cutscene

FerranMG

Oks, thanks again. :)
I don't see much appeal then in playing with randoms, at least if you want to do/see all the quests in the game.

Well, looking forward to playing a bit more tomorrow! :p

trinest

Thinking of picking this up on sale, how is the lenght? Need something meaty since Skyrim is unplayable for me.

I havn't finished it yet but I assume I'm pretty far into it- upto like chapter 6 or 7 or something.

Got it for the xbox the other week, pretty blood awesome game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Got this off the $13 Amazon deal.

Pretty good game so far, but man.. weapons break too damn quick.

Kolgar

Thinking of picking this up on sale, how is the lenght? Need something meaty since Skyrim is unplayable for me.

This is one long game. My friend and I just finished a co-op stint and he said, "That's my one complaint about this game. It may be too long."

I dunno exactly, but I'm guessing at least 25 hours. Meant to be played through more than once with different characters, too.

It's been a couple of months since I last played, and I enjoyed it every bit just now as I did when I started. Great game.

Bought this today and honestly, I think it's fucking terrible. Controls are awful and there's a lot of screen tearing, character moves like they're limping or something, weapon selection is shit so far, "Would you like this paddle? Or that paddle?" picked the character that specialized in guns, and have found none so far. I hate melee combat in first person games and that's pretty much all it is. Probably going to find out who offers the best trade in value and dump it.

Ramirez

Bought this today and honestly, I think it's fucking terrible. Controls are awful and there's a lot of screen tearing, character moves like they're limping or something, weapon selection is shit so far, "Would you like this paddle? Or that paddle?" picked the character that specialized in guns, and have found none so far. I hate melee combat in first person games and that's pretty much all it is. Probably going to find out who offers the best trade in value and dump it.

I hate that you can't turn off the head bob, but I enjoy the game despite it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Played about 20 minutes... I just don't know if I can play it. Its too scary. Even in the day time when a zombie comes from a corner.

Booser

Really liking this game now. I thought it was frustrating as hell for the first hour or two. Fiddly controls and too many unnecessary menus. Gotten used to it now and have learned pretty much where everything is. I'm taking my time doing all the side quests I can and finding and making better weaponry. The game really shines when you take your time with it. It's not a game for trying to blast your way through.

tmarques

Bought this today and honestly, I think it's fucking terrible.

I hated the first couple of hours. Once I started creating weapons and customizing my character, I had a lot of fun. Finished it a couple of hours ago and, according top Steam, played for 29 hours. More than got my money's worth.

I liked it, but the driving was godawful. Thankfully you don't have to do much, when you do, you almost want to smash the disc because of how frustrating it becomes. Getting stuck on scenery, almost impossible to navigate properly from the in car view, etc.

And to echo others, it does take a while to get going. For me, it didn't really take off until I left the Beach. Once I hit inland, I fell in love.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This game is fucking amazing. I was arguing that it became popular solely because it had zombies but it's really an amazing open world RPG with deep, satisfying melee system and incredible atmosphere.. I have to admit that I was wrong. Goes straight to my GOTY list even though I played 3 hours or so.

This game is fucking amazing. I was arguing that it became popular solely because it had zombies but it's really an amazing open world RPG with deep, satisfying melee system and incredible atmosphere.. I have to admit that I was wrong. Goes straight to my GOTY list even though I played 3 hours or so.

You just reminded, anyone else using analog controls for combat?

I decided to go for analog as it seemed to make more sense. Took a while to get used to, but once it clicked, combat went from satisfying to pure amaze.

Weapons also last longer as you're able to pull of decaps/critical hits more often/in fewer hits.

Bollocks

Started this with a buddy yesterday and the framerate is all over the place, I'm also playing Rage atm with its 60 frames and that's when you realize how shit the framerate in this game really is.
But it's a cool coop game nonetheless.

tmarques

I liked it, but the driving was godawful. Thankfully you don't have to do much, when you do, you almost want to smash the disc because of how frustrating it becomes. Getting stuck on scenery, almost impossible to navigate properly from the in car view, etc.

It doesn't help that broken down vehicles are immovable, regardless of how hard you drive into them. I remember seeing only one car in working condition in the city and wondering why they even bothered, since there wasn't enough room to drive for more than a few feet.

Game also become a lot more fun once you accept you can't kill every single zombie that crosses your path. Running past hordes of undead can be just as exciting.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You just reminded, anyone else using analog controls for combat?

I decided to go for analog as it seemed to make more sense. Took a while to get used to, but once it clicked, combat went from satisfying to pure amaze.

Weapons also last longer as you're able to pull of decaps/critical hits more often/in fewer hits.

Are you playing solo? I used analog for my co-op sessions, but default for solo... analog was just too frustrating to deal with mobs + fast movers. They take your camera/upper body away from you while you swing... not very good imo.

But fun for co-op.

grendelrt

So I started this today and it asked me if I wanted to enable level scaling. I kept it on for now, any pros or cons with it on or off? Are zombies limited in certain areas or how does no scaling work? Any experience with both, which was better?

Evolved1

So I started this today and it asked me if I wanted to enable level scaling. I kept it on for now, any pros or cons with it on or off? Are zombies limited in certain areas or how does no scaling work? Any experience with both, which was better?

Is that something new? I don't think that option was available at launch...

As just a generic reply: I pretty much despise level scaling in all its forms, and think it usually does more harm than good.

grendelrt

Is that something new? I don't think that option was available at launch...

As just a generic reply: I pretty much despise level scaling in all its forms, and think it usually does more harm than good.

I agree but im not sure what the implementation is in this case before I change it. It popped up when i first started in the game and its the last option under game options as well.

grendelrt

Last option below:

DA2611859AF3B096A2B923461F3F76F4325D9311

Evolved1

I was having a lot of fun with the game... even with the disastrous bugs on PS3 at launch, I still pressed on... I only stopped when I reached
the city
because the poorly produced and annoying as fuck looping sound effects were giving me the worst headache. I play with headphones, and I swear after ten - fifteen mins of the looping screams and shit, I'd have a migraine.

The only worse sound design (as far as annoyance) that I've experienced in recent memory would be Dragon Age Origins and the constantly barking dogs!

I don't know how some of you guys could put up with that section of Dead Island... the sound effects are abysmal. Maybe other people don't play with headphones.

The weirdest complaint, I'll admit, but it says something that in a game filled with progress deleting bugs, the nail in the coffin was actually some cheesy sound effects. But they are so obnoxious. And I'm getting older, and crankier.

Same here. I hate that I have to wait till the game auto saves so I can quit out.

Um... there's a really easy way to force an auto save... I just can't remember how atm. Give me a min, it'll come back to me. Seriously though, there's a way to save whenever you want iirc.

Dave1988

Evolved1 said:
Um... there's a really easy way to force an auto save... I just can't remember how atm. Give me a min, it'll come back to me. Seriously though, there's a way to save whenever you want iirc.

IIRC You just have to go to the options menu and change whatever. It'll save automatically after you accepted the changes.

Btw wanna do some co-op in DI some time? I've stopped playing after I Platinumed DI but I kinda wanna see what changes the patch brought in.

Evolved1

IIRC You just have to go to the options menu and change whatever. It'll save automatically after you accepted the changes.

Btw wanna do some co-op in DI some time? I've stopped playing after I Platinumed DI but I kinda wanna see what changes the patch brought in.

I'd have to buy the game again... I sold a week or two after launch.

brickeberg

Neo Member
Are keys for Dead Island leaked?
Seems like there's some suspicious guys trading it for cheap games.
I got one for Just Cause 2 and now I'm a little worried about it.

H3xum

Man, Dead Island is freaking fun

Everyone that loves loot and exp driven combat should grab a buddy or 2 and check this out. With the exception of the awful momentum physics behind walking, this game really provides an awesome overall experience, the environment is appealing, the ambient piano score is perfect, and the game is just flat out engrossing, I've had quite a few "oh god why does that door have to be open like that..." moments.

Granted I haven't played any single player and my gaming interest lie heavily in the looter/rpg realm so I may be a bit biased but I am having a good time for a reasonable price.

theDeeDubs

I've recently started this back up after originally having save file corruptions and trophy glitches when the game first came out and I'm enjoying it quite a bit now. For the sequel I hope they let us design our own character though. I'd much prefer an open system as opposed to the preset four next time around.

tborsje

Is there any graphics tweaks that remove the horrible looking white bloomy glare? I've tried using the reduce and remove bloom setting in the Dead Island Helper, but there's still a white glow that bleeds into everything when you're anywhere outside.

FerranMG

Just got this. Having a great time. Was the Asian chick the right choice?

The asian chick is the expert with sharp weapons, right?
I chose Sam B (blunt weapons expert), but found myself having more fun using sharpies instead of blunts. So, if I had to start again from scratch, I'd choose the asian girl.

Looking forward to see how's the next DLC. I'd love to see the first one on sale, too. :p

Nessus

Playing online co-op with friends (with empty player slots locked out to strangers) and voice chat is amazingly fun.

Way better than Borderlands, with vaguely similar gameplay (MMORPG-ish quests, XP, leveling, new weapons, etc.) but I find Dead Island's quests way more fun and interesting, whereas Borderlands felt more like grinding just so you could get the next best weapon.

I have no idea what single player is like, but I have little interest in it. To me this game is defined by co-op with friends.

FerranMG

Playing online co-op with friends (with empty player slots locked out to strangers) and voice chat is amazingly fun.

Way better than Borderlands, with vaguely similar gameplay (MMORPG-ish quests, XP, leveling, new weapons, etc.) but I find Dead Island's quests way more fun and interesting, whereas Borderlands felt more like grinding just so you could get the next best weapon.

I have no idea what single player is like, but I have little interest in it. To me this game is defined by co-op with friends.

I played through the whole game alone, and still had a lot of fun.
I missed more variety in the missions, which is something I really hope is going to be improved in an hypothetical second part.

The game took me a bit more than 20 hours to beat. I did most of the side quests, though.

I am really enjoying Dead Island on the 360. About 10 hours in, picked the sharp weapon class.

Surprised the game has continued to keep my interest while I have been very ADD with my gaming in the last few months.

Top Bottom