• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Patryn

Nerfing Infected...

On one hand, feels like that would take away a little bit of the terror I felt whenever I heard those screams.

On the other, THANK GOD. It was sad how quickly I'd die if I wasn't facing exactly the right direction when one came at me. And as soon as one starts hitting me and gets into his frenzy, it was death right there.

heringer

Sooo, PS3 version, yay or nay? Did they fix most of the issues people were having?

Kinda craving for for some zombie killing action after watching The Walking Dead, haha. Silly, but hey. :p

Ricker

NervousXtian said:
Did they patch the 360 version? Amazon has this for 39.99 and was thinking of buying.

No patch for the 360...currently in NG + ,level 39 and levelling up is starting to take some time...wanted to reach 50 but I`m not sure i`ll make it anytime soon hehe...

Ricker said:
No patch for the 360...currently in NG + ,level 39 and levelling up is starting to take some time...wanted to reach 50 but I`m not sure i`ll make it anytime soon hehe...

If you enjoy the gameplay, I'd suggest that you stop right now and wait for the patch which fixes the experience for challenges and NG+ side quests. The problem with leveling to 50 without it is that you need to basically do it all on kill XP because the quest/challenge reward XP doesn't scale at all. To give you an idea, after the patch a challenge which was worth 2000xp awards 20,000xp at level 50.

If you keep going without it you'll be totally burned out on it by the end like I was. One of my favourite games of the year but I just played it totally into the ground.

Hero

Just finished at under 19 hours. First half of the game was really fun. City and sewers made me kind of hate the game and I didn't enjoy it as much. Last level was so underwhelming with how I was able to run past most of the enemies. Ending was really stupid.

Really hated how one Infected running up to you from behind interrupted your melee and literally raped the shit out of you in like 3 seconds. It'd be one thing if everything was smooth but so many bugs and controls are not as tight. Compared to a game like Left 4 Dead where if you get hit on Expert you take a ton of damage but it's almost always your fault for it.

Finished the game last night and wanted to start over with my leveled up character...
Loading screen freezes...
damn...
Loved the game up until that moment.

Xbox 360 version. I rebooted multiple times, but it seams that loading up for a second play through can freeze the game. I jumped online and many people have experienced this. I hope they find a way to fix it. In the mean time I'll just start fresh with a different character.
I didn't see anything in the patch notes about it (or duping).

Console TU on 11-10-11. PC received this a few weeks ago.

Gameplay improvements

Level cap raised to 60
New blueprints for weapon mods added
Infected damage reduced
Infected no longer interrupt player attacks
A series of improvements to subsequent playthroughs implemented:
quest XP rewards adjusted
XP rewards for challenges adjusted
in subsequent playthroughs XP is awarded for all quests completed in co-op
Purna's ammo carrying capacity increased by 50%
Character state from a save game can now be loaded when using the Start from Chapter option
New balancing option added: enemy levels can now be adjusted independently for each co-op player
Players respawn with more health
Picklock skill level required to open a lock is now clearly indicated
Improved rewards in weapon crates
All weapon crates now contain rewards
Kick ability balanced, now requires stamina
Items can now be picked up instantly; this is reflected in adjusted animations

Fixes and interface improvements

Fix: players are no longer left without a weapon after dropping the equipped item and healing with a medkit.
Fix: equipped items no longer swap mysteriously after drinking an energy drink
Tweak: healing with medkits from inventory works better, makes smarter choices of medkits
Fix: loot from dead enemies is now always identical for all co-op players
Fix: Purna no longer finishes her Fury with fists equipped
Fix: map tracking after death
Fix: zone info in the quarantine zone (City of Moresby)
Tweak: respawn point selection is now smarter

General

Improved stability and network performance in co-op
Quest and reward fixes implemented

VIA Eurogamer

-BLITZ-

News about Bloodbath Arena.

Deep Silver today announced the release date of the Bloodbath Arena DLC pack for the award winning game Dead Island. The DLC will be available on November 22, 2011 for the PlayStation, Xbox 360 & PC.

In the Bloodbath Arena DLC four different arenas offer new challenges that can be played alone or in coop mode. It’s a desperate fight for survival where waves after waves of unrelenting zombies attack, one more gruesome than the next! In this DLC characters can loot experience points and items and bring them over to the campaign mode. Players can show off their skills in zombie fighting with the newly implemented leaderboards. The brain wave bomb, a new exclusive weapon, tops this DLC package off.

The DLC package is free for all customers who bought the Pre-order Edition. For the others it will have a price of EUR 9.99 or 800 Microsoft points.

1yKhKl.jpg
NLk6Tl.jpg

Y0mTfl.jpg
RmM79l.jpg

My friend and I just bought this game on PS3, we wanted to experience some co-op goodness, after hearing a lot of good things about this.

And it turned out to be one of the worst experience we had in years. I can't believe no one mentions that the game is completely unplayable online : it freezes/crashes for no reason all the time and eventually you lose all your progress. Out of 7 hours, we've only had 3 hours of actual gameplay and the game died on us like 6 times already.

I thought everything was fixed months ago and we're playing the brand new 1.04 patch. Really annoyed right now, how comes those problems aren't mentionned everywhere? Is the online in the PC version this buggy? For a game that is supposed to be all about co-op, it's unacceptable.

A Dead Island: Bloodbath just appeared on my steam Library list, but I was getting an "unnavailable" error every time I tried to run the origin Dead Island. I rebooted steam and the Dead Island: Bloodbath disappeared.

Also a friend of mine had an 8GB updated (wat) once he booted steam. Any idea what's going on?

So how exactly are the XP rewards scaled? I just started up my Level 42 character who is at the beginning of the third playthrough. I started the first mission and it's only worth 400XP. I need well over 100,000 more XP to level up. This doesn't seem scaled at all?

What's the deal guys? I'm not grinding to level 60 like this, hell no.

Well. My XP bar was only 1/4 of the way full and the Skills Menu indicated that I needed 70,000 more XP to level up. All of the sudden I get a LEVEL UP! on the screen and a new skillpoint to spend.

How weird. I leveled up much quicker than it said I should, and all the quests shows low numbers of XP, but for some reason I got there rather quick. I guess scaling was adjusted "under the hood."

Torraz

How does one use several mods at the same time which require the same files to be placed into the data folder in my documents? The readmes don't say what lines have been modified...

I have the 360 version in my backlog of stuff to play but for $20 the pc version is tempting. Is it worth getting? I'd probably then trade the 360 version in.

I have the 360 version in my backlog of stuff to play but for $20 the pc version is tempting. Is it worth getting? I'd probably then trade the 360 version in.

Game is great but you got to have people to play it with. Game just isn't as fun single player and really is a coop game.

I disagree that it's no fun in singleplayer. It's just a game where, if you don't find the mechanics and combat enjoyable, you're going to be bored as hell because at the end of the day that's nearly all there is for like 20 hours. In SP it feels a lot more like a survival horror game.

I'd recommend grabbing the PC version and playing it with a 360 controller so that you can use the analog controls. And if you're playing the PC version that little Dead Island Helper linked above is basically mandatory.

The intro is really funny. I like the camp nature of it.

Is the game best played with a 360 pad or keyboard? Usually FPS are always keyboard, but I know they have some melee combat system in this game that's a bit different so is that better with mouse or sticks? Cheers.

Hopefully I'll start this soon with a fellow GAFer. I pretty much want to play it all in co-op!

legbone

Is the game best played with a 360 pad or keyboard? Usually FPS are always keyboard, but I know they have some melee combat system in this game that's a bit different so is that better with mouse or sticks? Cheers.

Hopefully I'll start this soon with a fellow GAFer. I pretty much want to play it all in co-op!

i would say it depends on which aiming system you use (you can choose in options). if you use the advanced (or analog or whatever it is called) i heard that using a mouse is kind of wonky. i would suggest gamepad for the analog/advance aiming and m/kb for the regular aiming.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Analog control is fun when you only have to deal with one or two zombies... but I found it incredible frustrating for most of the game.

I eventually switched back to normal controls, which made me feel a little too over powered, but at least it wasn't a cumbersome mess like analog.

I imagine the default controls would be fine w/ kb&m... some people like analog though. I think if you're in co-op, analog might be more feasible. But for soloing, like I played, it was too slow and clunky.

Also when I was playing the game is was a broken bug-riddled mess that eventually caused me to spitefully return and get shit's worth of credit for... but that's another story.

Ah I didn't know there were two. I'll just give them both a go then, I guess!

Sometimes with certain games there's just a clearly superior way :)

You'll either love or despise analogue combat. It's incredibly tricky in certain situations and is an arsehole to get used to, but it's the most 'rewarding' way to play the game.

I just prefered vanilla combat, myself (because it's easier)!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You'll either love or despise analogue combat. It's incredibly tricky in certain situations and is an arsehole to get used to, but it's the most 'rewarding' way to play the game.

I just prefered vanilla combat, myself (because it's easier)!

The problem with analog is that it takes as much control away as it gives you... not being able to move your upper body while attacking is a death sentence when you're up against a mob.

And this game likes to throw mobs at you.

The animations in this game are really weird. When I move and do anything it feels like I have a really low framerate and it kinda makes me feel motion sick.

I never feel that way about first person games, it's really weird.

Other than that, a lot of fun.

derFeef

The animations in this game are really weird. When I move and do anything it feels like I have a really low framerate and it kinda makes me feel motion sick.

There is this stuttering when playing with keyboard. Try with the controller if it's better. It can be fixed with this "Dead Island Helper" tool.

Voidguts

There is this stuttering when playing with keyboard. Try with the controller if it's better. It can be fixed with this "Dead Island Helper" tool.

also try increasing the FOV (with Dead Island Helper) - the default makes me nauseous. at 1920x1080 rez 75 works pretty well for me, 80 is a bit too fish-eyed and also kinda makes me sick.

I'll download that and have a fiddle now. Cheers guys!

Edit: Ah it increases the time you need to hold "use" before it replaces current weapon. That alone is worth it! I'm giving the stuttering fix and new FOV a try now!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Just got the game, I like the ridiculous vibe to it so far.

My question: how big a difference do the character/ skills choices make in regards to weapon efficiency? I kinda want to play the game shooting at zombies so Purna would make sense, except that I keep reading that guns are scarce and almost every preview I have seen involves melee combat or throwing objects with Logan.

So I kind of picked Logan - would I really suck that much at gunplay? Or are there not even dedicated weapon styles of play and you just use whatever is available in a survivor-style of play?

I clearly have OCD.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Just got the game, I like the ridiculous vibe to it so far.

My question: how big a difference do the character/ skills choices make in regards to weapon efficiency? I kinda want to play the game shooting at zombies so Purna would make sense, except that I keep reading that guns are scarce and almost every preview I have seen involves melee combat or throwing objects with Logan.

So I kind of picked Logan - would I really suck that much at gunplay? Or are there not even dedicated weapon styles of play and you just use whatever is available in a survivor-style of play?

I clearly have OCD.

All characters can use all the weapons, certain characters have perks improving how they use specific weapon types. Also, re-downloading this to try the Bloodbath Arena, anyone want to group up?

Darkone

So i satred the game today, i read here that there is a problem with the save game while doing side quests, if i took a side quest i must finish it in order for it to be completed and not quit in the middle?

can anyone confirm this.

Everdred

Just got the game from GameFly and I am absolutely loving it. Really shocked how good it is and from a developer I've never heard of. Going to buy the PC version once its gets cheaper, seems like it would be better yet. 90% through campaign.

FerranMG

Just got the game for x360 on saturday.
So far, I'm liking it pretty much, but have some issues and a few questions regarding the online:

- How does on-line coop actually work? When people join my session, they can do whatever quest they want? Main quests and side quests? What happens if they complete a quest and I'm not around them?
I mean, I've played a bit with random strangers, only to see suddenly messages in the screen saying "quest X complete". I don't know who did what, don't know if I missed something important//interesting...

- Is the patch live for x360? I had to download a 3 MB patch (IIRC) when I started playing, which seemed a bit small. :/

- This is one of the very few games that has given me motion sickness.
It's not as bad as with FarCry 2 or Dark Sector, but it sucks because I like the game quite a bit. :(

Truant

How far has the mods come? I actually had this on my GOTY list for a while, but there are a few design choices that just fuck up the game for me. I wish there were more options to customize your character. Every weapon is basically rendered useless after half an hour, either by degradation or finding something marginally better. I wish someone did a mod where each weapon was a substantial upgrade, and you could get a personal attachment to each piece of gear you had.

I'm watching Walking Dead now, and each of them have their own personal weapon. Would be super cool if a mod did the same thing for this game.

FerranMG

So far, I'm liking it pretty much, but have some issues and a few questions regarding the online:

- How does on-line coop actually work? When people join my session, they can do whatever quest they want? Main quests and side quests? What happens if they complete a quest and I'm not around them?
I mean, I've played a bit with random strangers, only to see suddenly messages in the screen saying "quest X complete". I don't know who did what, don't know if I missed something important//interesting...

- Is the patch live for x360? I had to download a 3 MB patch (IIRC) when I started playing, which seemed a bit small. :/

It's not as bad as with FarCry 2 or Dark Sector, but it sucks because I like the game quite a bit. :(

Bumping to see is someone has an answer at least to the coop questions. :p

Oops, let me see if I can help:

Basically there are two types of progress in Dead Island; character and story. Character progress is persistent, so if you take your character into another game all the experience and loot you get will be saved to your character. When you join someone else's game, your story progress will only advance if they are at precisely the same point in the main story as you. So if you are in Act 2 and you join a game which is still in Act 1, you will get to keep the experience and rewards for the quests you do with your buddies, but your story progress will not advance. The same principle applies if you join a game which has progressed the story further than yours.

If you join a game which is less progressed than yours, once you reach the point in the main story that your game has reached the game will notify you that it's going to be tracking main quest progress for the rest of that co-op session. If you want to ensure that you're always in control of the main story progress when playing with randoms, just let other people join your game but don't join theirs.

Unfortunately I can't help with these. There is a little mod for the PC version which allows you to fix the crappy limited FOV which is the most likely cause of your motion-sickness, but unfortunately you're stuck with it on 360.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just started this the other day. I like it so far but it'd be a lot more fun if people weren't constantly dropping in and out of games.

Top Bottom