• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Call of Juarez: The Cartel was so abysmal I am now highly skeptical about this. Even if there are different teams involved, that fact that the teams are in close proximity means the shit could easily rub off, and even if only 10% of it clings onto this, then I predict bad things.

... although maybe it could be good, maybe.

Chairhome

Neuromancer said:
Great work on the logo by the way. Hanging dude > walking dude
I like the walking dude cause zombies don't hang themselves or other people. I guess someone could've hung themselves, but... meh.

I'm gonna wait. The CG trailer has garnered more of my attention than the gameplay.

Chairhome said:
I like the walking dude cause zombies don't hang themselves or other people. I guess someone could've hung themselves, but... meh.

I'm gonna wait. The CG trailer has garnered more of my attention than the gameplay.
I just like to think about what kind of fucked up person hangs a zombie.

Also they did it in the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead:

Night005.jpg

So it's canon you see

Artadius

Already bought in a four pack with some friends.

It has drop in / drop out co-op right? Maybe we need a list of players by platform.

legbone

i'm reservedly hyped for this one. it could be balls out terrible. but it looks so good. if you asked me what type of zombie game i wanted (i don't like dead rising btw) i would have said, "open world, melee based with limited rpg elements (ie skill trees)". well this is it. it's almost like i have to buy it because it is always what i wanted. hopefully all the good workers at techland were working on this one and the b team was on coj: cartel. coj: bib was pretty decent. hope it was those guys.

x-Lundz-x

Keyser Soze said:
Call of Juarez: The Cartel was so abysmal I am now highly skeptical about this. Even if there are different teams involved, that fact that the teams are in close proximity means the shit could easily rub off, and even if only 10% of it clings onto this, then I predict bad things.

... although maybe it could be good, maybe.

Different teams, different games. However that being said, I played Call of Juarez a few weeks ago with two of my buddies co-op. It was actually a freaking blast and a lot of fun to play. Nothing stellar, but it was fun.

Woah, already so soon? Guess I'm just used to games being announced so far in advance I never think any of them actually come out. Super curious how the game plays and all because it looks fun but I'm pretty tired of super zombies.

legbone

the qore feature a couple of months ago and the mtv videos have sold me. i know this will get bad reviews. at best it will receive mixed reviews. i have pretty much quit looking to reviews for my purchases. i can tolerate a good "B" game way more than the reviewers. i usually use gameplay videos/demos/quick looks to make my decisions these days. i can usually predict reviews. not much good to me.

x-Lundz-x said:
Different teams, different games. However that being said, I played Call of Juarez a few weeks ago with two of my buddies co-op. It was actually a freaking blast and a lot of fun to play. Nothing stellar, but it was fun.
Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M. was pretty fun in co-op.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this. It looks rough around the edges but it's just the kind of roughness I can handle, other than that it looks to be very refreshing. I hope it's fucking hard on hardest and I hope the melee is as good as it looks.

Yeah it's dangerous releasing a B game so close to so many A games though. Wish this had come out earlier in the summer, would have been perfect.

legbone

yep, neuromancer, you are right. would have been perfect for late july early august. it seems like 09/03/11 is a great B game day this year. i am dropping 180 that day for this, driver: sf and space marine. looks they are trying to get out the door before they get stomped by the fall biggies. too bad i think it's a little late for them. i will buy them but i bet most get resistance 3 that day.

Derrick01

Banned
I need to see reviews and gaf reviews before I can get this on PC. I know it has 4 player co op but if the game is designed more to be a co op game then I'm not interested. I want a pretty meaty and deep single player. Plus I see this dropping price extremely quick.

legbone

i'm hoping to hear some impressions before the night is through. but i'm like mancer, i'm trying to rip through deus ex before next tuesday so i can play three games at once. jeez, why do i do this to myself? if i was smart i would hold off until they were cheaper (they will be soon i have a feeling). oh well.

legbone said:
i'm hoping to hear some impressions before the night is through. but i'm like mancer, i'm trying to rip through deus ex before next tuesday so i can play three games at once. jeez, why do i do this to myself? if i was smart i would hold off until they were cheaper (they will be soon i have a feeling). oh well.

I ordered Dead island, R3 and ICO and SOTC the other day, sat there afterwards thinking why?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game has a lot of stuff that appeals to me: an open world, co-op, first person combat, RPG elements, zombies (even if they're played out), but my intuition is telling me to hold off. I'd like to think it has some potential as a sleeper hit, but I don't enough faith to drop cash before I hear what you guys have to say.

Meisadragon said:

it came out here in Dubai 2 days ago as well for PS3. I was going to get it but ive heard ZERO reviews. that warhammer game also came out 2 days ago. Games get released here VERY early compared to the states/aus/europe etc

Jaroof said:
I really hope it does.
So excited for this game :D

Sorry to inform you, but it doesnt. In fact, its the subject of many threads on the DI message boards and every single one of them leave disappointed.

This should be added to the OP: No Split-Screen Co-Op :'(

Seanspeed

Banned
Snuggler said:
This game has a lot of stuff that appeals to me: an open world, co-op, first person combat, RPG elements, zombies (even if they're played out), but my intuition is telling me to hold off. I'd like to think it has some potential as a sleeper hit, but I don't enough faith to drop cash before I hear what you guys have to say.
Ditto. Looks promising, but many promising games can have plenty of deal-breaking faults that aren't immediately obvious when watching demos and shit.

I'm definitely paying attention, though. Enough good reviews and I'll buy.

Completely forgot this game was coming out soon. I just watched the trailer again which is still pretty great, but I'll wait for more impressions on it.

The M.O.B said:
This guy has the game and is giveing some impressions throughout the thread.

http://www.deadislandforums.com/showthread.php/730-I-got-it!!!!!-Wooooo!!!/page2

Wading through that thread is a lesson in patience, some atrocious txtspk in there :p

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Sorry to inform you, but it doesnt. In fact, its the subject of many threads on the DI message boards and every single one of them leave disappointed.

This should be added to the OP: No Split-Screen Co-Op :'(

Probably for the best, the FOV is small enough as it is.

Bradach

I have a question about the co-op. When you join a friends game do you take your levelled up character up in or does the game generate a character for you? Have they said anything about that?

No online split-screen = a hold off and buy for cheap. My wife plays games with me all the time and we usually both play along with my brother and nephew online together. So that sucks. Still hope its a good game though.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Why is the zombie walking on Xbox 360? Microsoft too cheap for a hanging?

Anyroad, the game does look interesting, but I really need to hear if it actually has enough variety to be interesting past the first couple of hours. Looking forward to some impressions and reviews.

Bradach said:
I have a question about the co-op. When you join a friends game do you take your levelled up character up in or does the game generate a character for you? Have they said anything about that?

This would kinda be a dealbreaker for me. Part of the fun is progressing with your friends.

The M.O.B

KenOD said:

Anyroad, the game does look interesting, but I really need to hear if it actually has enough variety to be interesting past the first couple of hours. Looking forward to some impressions and reviews.

lol the 360 cover is the NA version which is censored so they couldn't show the dude hanging :/

KenOD said:

US version of Dead Island has the walking zombie for whatever reason.

The M.O.B

Bradach said:

Yes, the online is drop-in and drop-out so you will always keep your chracters level, stats, items, etc, you can play singleplayer and invite your friend into your world I believe.

angelfly

I really hope they decide to release a demo for this since it looks interesting but not interesting enough to pick up.

Bradach

The M.O.B said:
Yes, the online is drop-in and drop-out so you will always keep your chracters level, stats, items, etc, you can play singleplayer and invite your friend into your world I believe.
Nice one! This is going to be a refreshing multiplayer game for me any my online buddies

Tentatively reserving judgment on this one. I love me some zombies, but the developer pedigree doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence.

Concept17

Myself and three others got the 4pack. I think as long as the netcode holds up, this should be a lot of fun. The only thing I'm really not thrilled about so far are the characters.

Top Bottom