• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

GeoramA

Neuromancer said:
Honestly I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it in my hands, I'm cranial augmentation deep in Deus Ex at the moment anyway.
Same. Dead Island seems like the perfect backlog game anyway.

Xander51

I pre-ordered the PC version of this at Best Buy thanks to Steamworks...but they've got the PC version listed for 10 bucks over the actual price (60 instead of 50) so I may just not pick that up and buy it right from Steam instead.

I love all of Techland's games, and really enjoyed those videos MTV put up a week or so back. I'm glad that this game is actually seing release after the absurd development cycle, hopefully it has the content to match the ambition.

Salsa

pre-order is ready

along with my body

i think we're gonna try and pull a 4 player co-op playthrough from the start.. but you know how it is following story bits in online co-op

Divius

The recent gameplay footage turned me off on this, but I'll definitely give it a try.

edit: After that teaser I was kinda hoping for a more serious zombie-game, but it looks like a Dead Rising 2/Left 4 Dead crossing with special zombies and shit. Meh.

Salsa

You know what's like my favorite thing i saw so far of the game?

there seems to be some kind of quick-step to the right/left manouver to dodge zombies coming at you. If you can pull of that and then quickly do a 180 turn and hit the zombie in the back of the head, then this game is great.

I'm just hoping for a solid single-player experience, and hoping that I can run out into the bushes at night with a torch and get chased down by zombies.

Artadius

I suspect if we've got some retailers breaking street dates, we'll see some live streams showing up here in the next few days... if that's your sort of thing.

The M.O.B

disappeared said:
I'm just hoping for a solid single-player experience, and hoping that I can run out into the bushes at night with a torch and get chased down by zombies.

Judging from the screens in the OP, it doesn't seem like the game ever reaches nightime. I haven't seen a screenshot yet that shows zombies at night. Some screens have rainstorms and thus the place is darker than usual but there isn't any pitch dark nightime screens yet. :(

They better have a day/night cycle.

B-Dex

From what I've seen the game looks good. Probably not AAA god-tier good, but good enough. I actually didn't mind NAIL'D aside from the soundtrack. The track design in it was great.

I think Techland can do some good stuff and it seems it all fell into place with this title. I'm hoping anyway :).

About the only thing that can go wrong with this is bad co-op integration/netcode.

Otherwise, everyone should know by now exactly what to expect.

MRORANGE

graywolf323 said:
any word on if there is a review embargo and if so when does it end?

probably after the game launches, I did notice that some people already have the game (ps3 version) so I'm waiting for video's/reviews to come through.

A few buddies of mine in the gaming press apparently got their retail copies last week. But, the lack of reviews so far, in both print and online, have me worried.

It looks like it could be awesome or shit.

The most disappointing thing will be if it's just mediocre.

Will wait for reviews and even then I doubt I can justify to buy this with so many games coming out. Will wait for 25% discount at Christmas, maybe.

Salsa

The game being full 4 player co-op out of the gate already means my purchase was worth it. With the right friends you can pretty much polish any turd, fun shall be had.

DryvBy

I'm actually kind of shocked this isn't on anyone's radar. I've been a little hyped for this for a good while. It looks like Dead Rising done differently, which I'm for. I just hope it's full of exploring, real exploring. One of my pet peeves is the hype Crysis 1 got for being non-linear (according to reviewers) and that game was really just a bigger scale of A to B gameplay.

Teknoman

Its on my radar if it ends up being fun both SP and MP wise, not to mention good netcode and lack of gamespy.

PC version I mean.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
If anyone wants a referral from Green Man Gaming, you can PM me. With the referral link you get $5 off your next purchase.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DryvBy2 said:
I'm actually kind of shocked this isn't on anyone's radar. I've been a little hyped for this for a good while. It looks like Dead Rising done differently, which I'm for. I just hope it's full of exploring, real exploring. One of my pet peeves is the hype Crysis 1 got for being non-linear (according to reviewers) and that game was really just a bigger scale of A to B gameplay.
Oh definitely, I'm all for this game if it's a real explore-a-thon. I can't wait.

Do you guys know how deep the character customization/RPG elements are in this game? Are we talking Borderlands (somewhat decent depth) or L4D (no depth at all)?

The M.O.B

FunkyPajamas said:
Do you guys know how deep the character customization/RPG elements are in this game? Are we talking Borderlands (somewhat decent depth) or L4D (no depth at all)?

dead-island-xian-skill-tree.jpg

I would say more like Borderlands.

chubigans said:
Oh definitely, I'm all for this game if it's a real explore-a-thon. I can't wait.
didn't even know it's an open world game. lol. blind buy indeed.

i played demo for a bit just to see if it runs.

Eurocult

I pre-ordered this thing today (PS3) and I don't know why. I never do that. Hopefully the single player campaign is good. Any reviews pop up yet?

Nice OP. I have it pre-ordered but I'm gonna wait until the reviews are posted.

I am excited but remain cautious. Techland isn't really known as a high quality developer. I'm hopeful this will be their breakout hit though.

Great OP! I like that it's short and to the point but still stylish with the Dead Island bloody font. Need more succinct OTs like this...I can scroll down the whole thing in like 2 mouse wheel moves, perfect.

Anyway, if the reviews are like 70-80% or higher I'm in.

Carm

DryvBy2 said:

I dunno about anyone else, but for me it's the developers past efforts. Call of Juarez while far from perfect was fun, they messed some of that up in the sequel Bound in Blood, horrible fov in the pc version. Then the cartel looks awful.

Ooccoo

After looking at the 20min vid on youtube I came to the conclusion this game seems like it will suck. Excuse me but the glaring visual pop-ups were abysmal - just watch the fence "appear" progressively when the main character is driving up that hill in the car. Also, I'm already tired of hearing "I set you free!" and other stupid one-liners. Plus it seems like the game is constantly throwing ACHIEVEMENTS in your face. Sprinted? Achievement progress! Killed a zombie? Achievement progress! Used a new weapon? Achievement progress! It's quite shitty but I guess some people will eat it up.

Seriously the trailers were cool but the actual game looks like a pile of horseshit. It's kind of a bad Borderlands mixed with Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead only with a poor number of zombies rushing at you and no actual decision making. It might be entertaining for a while but I can't help but feel this game will end up in the bargain bin soon after it's launched. How hard is it to create a zombie like akin to 28 Days Later where there's a SHITLOAD of infected / zombies running at you? In Dead Island it seems you'll always be overpowered no matter what. There seems to be no sense of fear, no stress, no survival, just exploring and killing stuff mindlessly.

KorrZ

Anyone know when the reviews will be coming for this? I like the idea of it and I need something to fill the void between Deus Ex and Gears 3, but I just don't know about this game. I need impressions/reviews!

Salsa

Ooccoo said:
Seriously the trailers were cool but the actual game looks like a pile of horseshit. It's kind of a bad Borderlands mixed with Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead only with a poor number of zombies rushing at you and no actual decision making. It might be entertaining for a while but I can't help but feel this game will end up in the bargain bin soon after it's launched. How hard is it to create a zombie like akin to 28 Days Later where there's a SHITLOAD of infected / zombies running at you? In Dead Island it seems you'll always be overpowered no matter what. There seems to be no sense of fear, no stress, no survival, just exploring and killing stuff mindlessly.

"i saw 20 minutes of gameplay and i can tell you right now that the entire game is a PILE OF HORSESHIT"

Ooccoo

I can't tell how the entire game plays like, but such a feature is supposed to sell you the game, not the other way around. It might be fun, but I have doubts it'll be great. In the footage you never see more than 3-4 zombies on the screen at once. Everything seems too easy and predictable. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Salsa

Ooccoo said:
I can't tell how the entire game plays like, but such a feature is supposed to sell you the game, not the other way around. It might be fun, but I have doubts it'll be great. In the footage you never see more than 3-4 zombies on the screen at once. Everything seems too easy and predictable. Guess we'll see soon enough.

they're certainly doing a bad job at some of the gameplay videos, i wont deny that. Some of the other trailers ive seen look 10 times more exciting that those SLOW 20 minutes of gameplay, but you can clearly see that's because of the way the guy's playing. He's not sprinting, he's walking slowly, doing the SAME shit to kill every zombie and clearly at the beggining of the game.

Salsa

The M.O.B said:
Judging from the screens in the OP, it doesn't seem like the game ever reaches nightime.

http://youtu.be/pVzRo39P31I?t=16m56s

not night time, but certainly something different, so changes in the day/night cycle and environments arent ruled out.

I mean, we've been shown the same demo and same area over and over again, we really dont know that much from the game to really judge it.

CAW

There's no day/night cycles, but there are weather cycles which change the atmosphere from bright and sunny to dark rainy and windy.

As to why there's no cycle like this, you have to think about it from a game design/technical perspective. Every game designer has to make choices about what features to include and what features to not based on what the real goals of the game experience are. Every game can't have every feature ever, or no game would ever wind up coming out and/or be technically possible to run on all the hardware available.

In this case, a day/night cycle would actually detract from the sense of realism. How? Well, let's assume you have 30 minute day/30 minute night cycles - so basically one day per hour. If the game takes you 20 hours to complete (and thats with not a lot of messing around with crafting, exploring, etc) then you'll have in game time spent 20 days trying to clear up a zombie apocalypse. Realistically, if something like this happened there's no way that after 20 days everyone wouldn't probably be dead already. So to put a day/night cycle in game puts an arbitrary sense of having to complete the game in a certain amount of time in order to keep that sense of realism, and that's not very fun.

It's more important to the experience of Dead Island that you get to explore, fool around with crafting, freely. The weather effects are a really nice substitute because they change as you get further into the game and really help set the atmosphere as you go through the storyline.

On top of that, you have to remember that adding a day/night cycle is not necessarily a simple thing. It requires a totally different, much more complex lighting system to be built and that takes system resources when it is running. In Dead Island's case, with the open world nature and the complexity (and subsequent beauty) of the environments, adding something like this in is neither a simple task nor the best use of system resources.

Source from a Deepsilver community manager: http://www.dead-island.com/forums/dead-island-game-discussion/725-night-time.html#post18186

She's answered quite a few questions about the game. Here's a list of her posts. Might be helpful: http://www.dead-island.com/forums/search.php?searchid=104761

Ooccoo

I don't think my hype for this game can go any lower now. Really, no day-night transition? A real shame. Would have been perfect and more tense at night. Please tell Deepsilver to go play some Resident Evil 4 so they understand the difference it makes.

Top Bottom