• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
Well yeah, that's because Steams release blocking is done via IP, doesn't matter where you got the key from.

well that's what im saying, that its handled by steam, contrary to what darkressurection said

Carm

I wasn't gonna get this because of the developers history, but with GMG pre order being so cheap, I pulled the trigger. I just pray the FOV isn't narrow as fuck, like it was in Bound In Blood and the game is fun in single player. FOV in BIB pretty much ruined the play experience, it baffles me developers continue to screw up FOV for pc versions.

Echoplx

SalsaShark said:
well that's what im saying, that its handled by steam, contrary to what darkressurection said

Yeah it's handled by Steam, but the blocks themselves are obviously requested by the publisher.

SalsaShark said:
All Steam would be doing is looking at your IP, figuring out where you are from, then it lets you unlock based on the Publisher's time table. If Valve were the one setting unlock times I could understand where you were coming from, but maybe Deep Silver just lumped the SA time in with the EU time.

Salsa

darkressurection said:
All Steam would be doing is looking at your IP, figuring out where you are from, then it lets you unlock based on the Publisher's time table. If Valve were the one setting unlock times I could understand where you were coming from, but maybe Deep Silver just lumped the SA time in with the EU time.

oh now i get what you were saying

i thought that you were implying that the unlocking times were tied to the specific keys sent out by the publisher

Nekrono

3chopl0x said:
Yeah it's handled by Steam, but the blocks themselves are obviously requested by the publisher.
Do you think so? I mean, I think it must be more of a "part of the contract" kind of thing, that Steam must stick to the game's release date and not release it sooner or later, the question is why the fuck does Steam think Central/South America should have EU release dates, it's pretty stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Salsa

Nekrono said:
Do you think so? I mean, I think it must be more of a "part of the contract" kind of thing, that Steam must stick to the game's release date and not release it sooner or later, the question is why the fuck does Steam think Central/South America should have EU release dates, it's pretty stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

now youre making me wonder if it was always like that

but then i remember that at the last time i used an NA key for Deus Ex and it unlocked the moment i used it, wich was 3 days before EU release.

They need to get their shit together.

Salazar

Nekrono said:
the question is why the fuck does Steam think Central/South America should have EU release dates, it's pretty stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Since when did dates and region stuff make sense ?

Nekrono

SalsaShark said:
now youre making me wonder if it was always like that

but then i remember that at the last time i used an NA key for Deus Ex and it unlocked the moment i used it, wich was 3 days before EU release.

They need to get their shit together.
They do, it doesn't happen all the time but I know that it has happened a few times for me and when it has happened I get pissed off at Steam because it makes no sense at all, I mean EU release dates? really?

It's been happening for a while now and I don't see any intention of fixing it.
Salazar said:
Since when did dates and region stuff make sense ?
Ha, that's true, I've never really understood it myself but placing a EU date to America makes it even more retarded.

Echoplx

Nekrono said:

Yes, I do think so.
Because I'm not stupid
It's the only logical reason, what would Valve/Steam gain by enforcing region locked release dates?

It's not a matter of what Steam thinks, It's how the publisher decides to handle it. In this case they apparently wanted SA to have the same release date as EU/AU.

Nekrono said:
They do, it doesn't happen all the time but I know that it has happened a few times for me and when it has happened I get pissed off at Steam because it makes no sense at all, I mean EU release dates? really?

It's been happening for a while now and I don't see any intention of fixing it.
Like I said before, you shouldn't get mad at Steam you should get mad at the Publisher of the game you bought. Let them (in this case Deep Silver) know that in the future the SA and NA dates should be together.

Nekrono

3chopl0x said:
Yes, I do think so.
Because I'm not stupid
It's the only logical reason, what would Valve/Steam gain by enforcing region locked release dates?

It's not a matter of what Steam thinks, It's how the publisher decides to handle it. In this case they apparently wanted SA to have the same release date as EU/AU.

darkressurection said:
Like I said before, you shouldn't get mad at Steam you should get mad at the Publisher of the game you bought. Let them (in this case Deep Silver) know that in the future the SA and NA dates should be together.
Yeah you guys are probably right, but in all honesty chances are we'll never know the truth as this "issue" has been going on for a long time and neither party wants to fix it or get a world map.

Salsa

darkressurection said:

I get where he's coming from thinking that its Steam's fault though, cause that EU = SA thing has been going for a while and it makes no sense at all for a publisher to think like that :/

Concept17

Neuromancer said:
How do you know who's supposed to be good at what? I remember one of the girls is supposed to be good with guns but other than that I don't really know.

That said I usually pick characters based on looks so I'd probably go with Logan regardless.

Logan - All around/thrown weapons character
Purna - Group support/firearms character
Sam - Tank/Blunt weapons character
Xian - DPS/Sharp weapons character

SalsaShark said:
I get where he's coming from thinking that its Steam's fault though, cause that EU = SA thing has been going for a while and it makes no sense at all for a publisher to think like that :/
I totally agree, it sucks that publishers don't count South America as the same region. Shit it has America right in the name. Hopefully one day they will straightened their stuff out.

Concept17 said:
Logan - All around/thrown weapons character
Purna - Group support/firearms character
Sam - Tank/Blunt weapons character
Xian - DPS/Sharp weapons character
OK thanks, sounds like Logan's my man.

oh boy up to 74%!

why pre-load if it takes this long? shouldn't it just be a small file to unlock it after you've already basically downloaded the whole game?

Nekrono

I don't have Dead Island and Space Marine but I'm jumping between threads since they both released simultaneously, looking for impressions before buying them :p

I feel for you Salsa, I guess no dice with either game huh? I've been there and it really sucks, gonna be 4 long days of waiting =(

Aselith

Fuck this Steam. I'm on satellite and I had 45MB left on my daily limit and this motherfucking game started downloading a 114MB patch after it decrypted. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Salsa

game is actually downloading the patch even when it didnt unlock in my region

this is retarded, just give me the thing

Top Bottom