• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Jak140

Derrick01 said:
When I got outside on the beach I was getting 60 fps, but when they let me finally run around I couldn't walk 10 feet without it chopping like crazy. Seems like every turn drops me down 20 fps for a few seconds while half the landscape pops in.

Yes. I have the exact same problem.

Proxy

Add

VSync()

under Fullscreen() in your Video.scr file which you can find in

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Settings

To enable VSync.

TheExodu5

Banned
The game doesn't look too bad, considering how well it runs (~160fps on my GTX 570). There's some hope here. Hopefully they can patch this joke up.

2333A4F43053E6C237103C8117D1A8E8C7E9277F

Ridley327

I think the game just tried to kill my PC. It started playing at some super quick framerate all of the sudden and then my computer just said "nope."

playing on PC, pretty fun with co-op. definitely some technical issues with v-sync. couldn't find how to turn it on and it was a pretty big issue in the prologue but strangely when i got to the beach i didn't notice it much. can't play anymore tonight though.... tomorrow!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Anything published by Deep Silver needs at least one massive patch to make it playable, this is par for the course.

Ridley327

Proxy said:
Add

VSync()

under Fullscreen() in your Video.scr file which you can find in

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Settings

To enable VSync.
Windows seems to think this is a screensaver; what's my way around this?

SalsaShark said:
jesus i'll never understand how gaf is this fucking harsh sometimes

game has been released for less than an hour and some people arent getting that issue. You guys should be thankful they're not doing a console port ffs

wtf kind of logic is that? the game performs like a console port anyways. I am having fun and the shadow issue is fixed though

Proxy

Ridley327 said:
Oddly, the line is already there.

Well, I won't be playing this until a big patch then!

Are you mistaking the commented out settings with a "!" by them by chance?

Should look like this:

!Resolution(i,i)
!WindowOffset(i,i)
!Monitor(i) // -1 primary monitor
!BPP(i)
!FSAA(i) // Full Screen AntiAliasing, 0 - none, higher is better
!TexBPP(i)
!TextureQuality(s) // VeryLow, Low, High
!Filtering(s) // Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic, AnisotropicTrilinear
!GammaFloat(f)
!MaxRefresh(i)
!Shadows(s) // Low, High
!ShadowMapSize(i)
!SpotShadowMapSize(i)
!Lightmaps()
!Fullscreen()
!VSync() // enable vertical sync
!MaterialQuality(i) // lower is better
!WaterQuality(i) // lower is better
!GrassQuality(i) // lower is better
!FXQuality(i) // higher is better
!FXFadeLevel(i) // 0-4 (lower is better)
!EnvQuality(s) // FullDynamic, RareDynamic, Static
!ShaderPath(i) // 0 - 1.1, 1 - 1.4, 2 - 2.0, 3 - 3.0, 4 - x360, 5 - 4.0, 6 - ps3
!PostProcess(s) // Simple, Normal
!DisplayDeviceType(i,f,f,f,f) //device type (LCD TV etc.): 0 - default
!Curves(s) // curves texure

Resolution(1680,1050)
Monitor(0)
BPP(24)
FSAA(0)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
Filtering("Trilinear")
Fullscreen()
VSync()
Shadows("High")
ShadowMapSize(1024)
SpotShadowMapSize(1024)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(1.35)
MaxRefresh(60)
MaterialQuality(2)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(2)
WaterQuality(2)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(3)
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)

Volcynika

How easy is it to join friends? Can you join via Steam (click arrow by name -> Join Game)?

Also, anyone know what that Facebook option actually does?

legbone

just got back from gamestop with this and thought i would pop in while installing to the 360 to see how everyone is liking it. terrible news for the pc crowd. i feel for you guys. i hope the 360 isn't a buggy mess. i really don't understand how developers can release this kind of shit with a clear conscience. the whole "early adopters being beta testers until it's patched" phenomenon really needs to go. sorry master race. there is no excuse for this.

Now I'm scared to pick up my PS3 version, as it's been said it's the worst version of the bunch.

Oh well, hopefully it's at least playable, because this looks like it could be a real fun game.

Salsa

You guys really do need to cool down a bit, i mean i get the rage but i dont get the "welp thats it fuck these guys" whatever. They are clearly trying to do a PC version properly instead of a port and it turned out to be a buggy mess for some PCs, yes, thankfully we have a thing called patches and i really doubt this stuff will go unheard by the devs, and if not, the fanbase for workarounds and solutions. Its been out for 3 hours.

TheExodu5

Banned
SalsaShark said:
You guys really do need to cool down a bit, i mean i get the rage but i dont get the "welp thats it fuck these guys" whatever. They are clearly trying to do a PC version properly instead of a port and it turned out to be a buggy mess for some PCs, yes, thankfully we have a thing called patches and i really doubt this stuff will go unheard by the devs, and if not, the fanbase for workarounds and solutions. Its been out for 3 hours.

To be fair, Y for noclip is inexcusable. It proves that they spent zero time testing this thing.

SalsaShark said:
Hopefully by the time it's released in europe :)
TheExodu5 said:
To be fair, Y for noclip is inexcusable. It proves that they spent zero time testing this thing.
It just takes ONE person to make that mistake - perhaps the guy responsible fucked up. It doesn't mean the company didn't test it.

Akkad

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Yeah, seriously give it some time. Meanwhile have fun with the letter Y, lol.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:

its pretty hilarious, but i doubt they spent zero time testing it since there's a patch on the day of the release.

Jerykk

Banned
A port is a port. It doesn't matter how much effort you put into it. If the lead SKU isn't PC, then the PC version must be a port. Dead Island is definitely a port and apparently not a very good one at that.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
FatalT said:
PC gamers, press Y while you're playing. You all of a sudden turn into a ghost and you can no clip anywhere around the world. Press Y again and you plop back into existence wherever you ghost flew to. I can't believe this made it into the game. PATCH THIS SHIT ASAP BEFORE I ABUSE IT TO DEATH!

I can not stop laughing at this. what an epic trainwreck.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheNamelessOne said:
It just takes ONE person to make that mistake - perhaps the guy responsible fucked up. It doesn't mean the company didn't test it.

Y for noclip, many people experience broken visuals, lack of vsync option, lack of voice chat bind, Steam overlay causing mouse pointer to persist during gameplay, Steam screenshot (or \ key...not sure) causing the keyboard to not respond until another screenshot is taken.

It's a very rushed job.

Big-ass Ramp

Moaradin said:
I just don't understand something such as noclip being bound to Y can go unnoticed.

no testing for the PC version, I guess? No testing means no one to notice Y no clip.

TheExodu5

Banned
Developer testing only with no outside testing or QA...pretty much.

I work in software development, and this is the kind of shit that gets through when the company relies solely on developer testing.

Echoplx

I bet a lot of you are the same people who actively defend Beth when they release buggy/broken games and always rely on the community to fix shit.

Give this game some slack ffs.

Maybe the 3 day wait for EU/AUS isn't such a bad thing, hopefully they release a patch in the mean time.

Do the devs have a forum? Maybe people should post their issues there?

Big-ass Ramp

shagg_187 said:
What is thus press Y for ghost/noclip? I don't get it. Explain cause I want to jump on the lulz.

P.S. Should I be glad I didn't fell for the hype?

you literally press the Y key and you enter no clip.

Top Bottom