• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Liking it. Biggest issue is certainly the debug/dev mode being enabled in the retail version. Also...don't press "\", that's a toggle that will lock your key inputs. Scroll Lock will also enable 3rd person mode (but it's the viewmodel used for 1st person method most games use and not the proper 3rd person model).

wowzors

ran good then all the sudden choppy as fuck and "Dead Island" has stopped working. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

TheExodu5

Banned
Speculator said:
Liking it. Biggest issue is certainly the debug/dev mode being enabled in the retail version. Also...don't press "\", that's a toggle that will lock your key inputs.

Yep. Which is annoying as hell as \ is my screenshot key. :|

The M.O.B said:
Hey waddaya know, game plays a lot better with 360 pad instead of mouse/keyboard.

:/

I think the controls are fantastic with mouse & keyboard.

Carm

The FOV is inexcusable after they made the same fucking mistake in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. After playing this pos for 30 mins, I felt physically ill for the past hour. The Y no clip, is just hilarious, but easily remedied. Sound crackling, horrid fov, not having proper pc video/audio options = yet another bad console port. I can almost excuse the horrible shadows since I've become accustomed to console ports.

wwm0nkey said:
PC game having issues?

Hopefully that gets fixed soon for you guys because this game is A LOT of fun.

I'm playing the PC version and having fun, I didn't even know about this noclip thing until someone told me about it. And I probably wouldn't have either, got no reason to press the Y button really.

Mairu

Carm said:
The FOV is inexcusable after they made the same fucking mistake in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. After playing this pos for 30 mins, I felt physically ill for the past hour. The Y no clip, is just hilarious, but easily remedied. Sound crackling, horrid fov, not having proper pc video/audio options = yet another bad console port. I can almost excuse the horrible shadows since I've become accustomed to console ports.
I was also disappointed with the FOV. I have issues with narrow field of views in PC games, I really hope in the future we'll be able to expand it otherwise I probably won't be playing for extended periods of time :(

A friend of mine lost all his experience/items after the game crashed for him, though some people are saying that it has to do with noclip. Just going to wait for a patch!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Keyboard and mouse are fine except for that horrible door smashing mini game. Couldn't they just map that to w and s instead of the mouse?

Mairu said:
I was also disappointed with the FOV. I have issues with narrow field of views in PC games, I really hope in the future we'll be able to expand it otherwise I probably won't be playing for extended periods of time :(

Same thing for me, I only played for about 10 minutes but I stopped and have felt ill for the past hour =/

Teknoman

Derrick01 said:
When I got outside on the beach I was getting 60 fps, but when they let me finally run around I couldn't walk 10 feet without it chopping like crazy. Seems like every turn drops me down 20 fps for a few seconds while half the landscape pops in.

Strange...i'm on a Radeon 4890, everything cranked to max, and getting 60 smooth no matter what. Maybe you need to defragment your steam installation?

Anyway, game looks great, could use some forced AA, but no mean jaggies or tearing. Smooth framerate for me and the zombie screams are really scary. You'll find yourself easily getting paranoid since those zombie bastards can sneak up on you quietly at times. Weapons actually feel like they have weight to them.

Netcode is great, co-op is smoothly integrated.

TheExodu5

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
what is this FOV stuff? I don't notice anything.

A low FOV means that the view is more constricted; the view feels zoomed in.

Here's so you get an idea how FOV can affect the picture:
BC2_FOV.gif

The (vertical) FOV for most console games is 55 as seen in this Bad Company 2 comparison GIF. A more natural FOV for PC gamers would be roughly 75.

Some people tend to get what's called "simulation sickness" when playing games with low FOVs, which makes this something that all developers should take into account when making a PC game.

Flunkie

Banned
Game's really fun so far. Yes, it's not perfect. Yes, it's rough around the edges. Who gives a shit, it's fucking fun!

I kind of prefer the kb/m controls to the analog controls, though. Analog just seems tedious at times, and the kb/m controls seem to contextually do the uppercut/downward swing for you when it makes sense.

And the FoV did seem limiting, but I'm sure there will be a third party patch or official patch for it soon. No worries.

Sutton Dagger said:
Are there any configurable ini. settings to help with some of these issues?

Not that I can tell, the comments in the settings file show the following:
Code:
!Resolution(i,i)
!WindowOffset(i,i)
!Monitor(i)            // -1 primary monitor
!BPP(i)
!FSAA(i)               // Full Screen AntiAliasing, 0 - none, higher is better
!TexBPP(i)
!TextureQuality(s)     // VeryLow, Low, High
!Filtering(s)          // Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic, AnisotropicTrilinear
!GammaFloat(f)
!MaxRefresh(i)
!Shadows(s)            // Low, High
!ShadowMapSize(i)
!SpotShadowMapSize(i)
!Lightmaps()
!Fullscreen()
!VSync()               // enable vertical sync
!MaterialQuality(i)    // lower is better
!WaterQuality(i)       // lower is better
!GrassQuality(i)       // lower is better
!FXQuality(i)          // higher is better
!FXFadeLevel(i)        // 0-4 (lower is better)
!EnvQuality(s)         // FullDynamic, RareDynamic, Static
!ShaderPath(i)         // 0 - 1.1, 1 - 1.4, 2 - 2.0, 3 - 3.0, 4 - x360, 5 - 4.0, 6 - ps3
!PostProcess(s)        // Simple, Normal
!DisplayDeviceType(i,f,f,f,f)  //device type (LCD TV etc.): 0 - default
!Curves(s)             // curves texure

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
TheExodu5 said:
A low FOV means that the view is more constricted; the view feels zoomed in.

Here's so you get an idea how FOV can affect the picture:
[imttp://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af88/Phazon88/BC2_FOV.gif[/img]

Some people tend to get what's called "simulation sickness" when playing games with low FOVs, which makes this something that all developers should take into account when making a PC game.

oooh ok. makes sense. thanks, this was very informative.

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
Game's really fun so far. Yes, it's not perfect. Yes, it's rough around the edges. Who gives a shit, it's fucking fun!

I kind of prefer the kb/m controls to the analog controls, though. Analog just seems tedious at times, and the kb/m controls seem to contextually do the uppercut/downward swing for you when it makes sense.

And the FoV did seem limiting, but I'm sure there will be a third party patch or official patch for it soon. No worries.

Yeah the mouse/kb controls arent uncomfortable or anything. Menus work just fine with the PC controls, so its not like Borderlands in that aspect. I wish BL had as smooth co-op integration as this did though.

Oh and you cant take a co-op partner on a sidequest unless they were there to accept the quest in your game.

Just to reiterate, game is fun, looks nice, and performs well (for me anyway, Radeon 4890, 4GB ram, Phenom II X4 955). A few things that need fixing (markers not showing up at times during co-op, the whole no clip and debug modes being easily accessible from the start, and whatever other problems people are running into).

Carm

Low FOV is a console port issue with pc games. Techlands other console pc port Call of Juarez:Bound in Blood had a fov of 57, extremely low. Anything below roughly 75 starts making me feel sick.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Flunkie said:

speaking of which i hope an official patch/comunity edit makes a fov fix permanent *glares at having to press f10/f11 every time u start borderlands or exit a vehicle*

LuchaShaq

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Also, to be fair, I'm not particularly angry about the rushed job for the purposes of me playing the game. If they patch it quickly, whatever, good on them. My issue is that this paints a very poor picture for PC gaming, and will discourage a lot of inexperienced PC gamers and dissuade them from buying more games. It's not healthy for the PC games industry.

I know I don't buy PC games day one anymore due to stories like this, from dust, crysis 2/dragon age DX issues etc etc.

Concept17

Played a couple hours with 3 others. Took us nearly that entire time to get all of us in a single game together with no issues.

First of all - is there a way to turn off voice in game? Its automatically on and we would prefer to use a separate program.

Second - is anyone else having troubles with connecting to friends games? Sometimes we can join each other, sometimes we can't. Makes no sense.

Third - What is with the quest tracking in co-op? Are you only given direction to the main story quest? Side quests were not giving us the dotted line. We seem unable to track anything but the main quest.

The game is awesome other than these issues. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.

The game seems to default to trilinear filtering. If you open up the Video.scr file there should be a line that reads Filtering(Trilinear). You can change it to Filtering(Anisotropic) for AF or Filtering(AnisotropicTrilinear) for both.

Teknoman

Concept17 said:
Played a couple hours with 3 others. Took us nearly that entire time to get all of us in a single game together with no issues.

First of all - is there a way to turn off voice in game? Its automatically on and we would prefer to use a separate program.

Second - is anyone else having troubles with connecting to friends games? Sometimes we can join each other, sometimes we can't. Makes no sense.

Third - What is with the quest tracking in co-op? Are you only given direction to the main story quest? Side quests were not giving us the dotted line. We seem unable to track anything but the main quest.

The game is awesome other than these issues. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.

We had the same problem with sidequests.

Haunted

Dismissed the game from the marketing and material shown before release, checking this thread out of habit to see if I haven't missed anything...

To summarise: lots of technical issues and a shitty UI, but the game that's in that mess somewhere is pretty good?

Is that about right?

Flunkie

Banned
Haunted said:
Dismissed the game from the marketing and material shown before release, checking this thread out of habit to see if I haven't missed anything...

To summarise: lots of technical issues and a shitty UI, but the game that's in that mess somewhere is pretty good?

Is that about right?

Someone give it to me straight.
I wouldn't have noticed a lot of things if I didn't read this thread, but it would be hard to disagree with what you said, yes. It's a patch or two away from being great. The coop in itself though was the justifying part of my purchase. It's one of the best implementations of it I've seen.

Haunted

Flunkie said:
I wouldn't have noticed a lot of things if I didn't read this thread, but it would be hard to disagree with what you said, yes. It's a patch or two away from being great.
That sounds promising, as those will probably come out around the time the game enters budget pricing.

Zimbardo

did some 4 player co op. worked good.

game is kick ass fun.

like was already said ...just a patch away from some total sweetness.

Top Bottom