• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
I bet a lot of you are the same people who actively defend Beth when they release buggy/broken games and always rely on the community to fix shit.

after all the games they've released buggy as hell on release day: no

these guys however get a pass so far as far as im concerned. It all depends on how they support the game post-release

the Y thing should be fixed in less than hours though.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
DidntKnowJack said:
Man, I wish the console versions had this 'no clip' feature. You lucky bastards.

I wouldn't call Dead Island PC players "lucky," they still have a broken game on their hands.

Echoplx

SalsaShark said:
after all the games they've released: no

these guys however get a pass so far as far as im concerned. It all depends on how they support the game post-release

the Y thing should be fixed in less than hours though.

Sorry should have made myself more clear, I was agreeing with you by saying that a lot of the people complaining probably let things like this slide for other devs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
3chopl0x said:
I bet a lot of you are the same people who actively defend Beth when they release buggy/broken games and always rely on the community to fix shit.

Give this game some slack ffs.

Yeah, people always make jokes about Obsidian games being buggy but that shit isn't funny. I am literally left with questlines unfinishable in NV due to bugs, so yeah.

Y being noclip is really hilarious though. Does it actually say the key is binded as that?

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
Sorry should have made myself more clear, I was agreeing with you by saying that a lot of the people complaining probably let things like this slide for other devs.

yeah the post was a little mixed up towards the end

but still, people are on their right to be harsh and it depends on them, since basically yeah, they are releasing a game that is buggy and hasnt been tested properly.

What im talking about is how harsh GAF can get regarding this

"Game buggy 3 hours after release? FUCK THESE GUYS"

Its more of a "what a shame, hopefully these guys will work things out through patches, i dont how their community support is" and then, if they dont fix it yeah; complain and get a refund all you want

at least that's how I handle it.

Big Ass Ramp said:
I wouldn't call Dead Island PC players "lucky," they still have a broken game on their hands.
In all seriousness, like I said before, I'm kind of afraid to pick up the PS3 version I've already prepaid due to all these horror stories on the PC. Imagine what the console versions will be like.

Akkad

Banned
lulz

6F67D43FC6F13E492C0A34E64DE82009B7E8BFFF

Salsa

DidntKnowJack said:
In all seriousness, like I said before, I'm kind of afraid to pick up the PS3 version I've already prepaid due to all these horror stories on the PC. Imagine what the console versions will be like.

pretty much all the reviews are done in the console versions and they dont have any of these issues

these pc "horror stories" will be fixed in a matter of days, hopefully

I am starting to regret buying it now hearing all of these things from you guys. Mine is only about 50% downloaded too. sigh.... please say its good except for some minor bugs.

Akkad

Banned
soulassssns said:
I am starting to regret buying it now hearing all of these things from you guys. Mine is only about 50% downloaded too. sigh.... please say its good except for some minor bugs.

Seriously calm down, the game is selling I'm sure the developers won't abandon it.

Zimbardo

playin on pc. game seems good so far. runs perfect on 1 highly clocked gtx460 1gig card @ 1080p + max detail. i enabled SLI and it seems no different.

using the xbox360 pad and d3doverrider.

i haven't tried co op yet, but i've seen various messages saying stuff like 'joe blow's game is near, hit left to join' type thing.

works great so far. i was expecting a more rocky launch to be honest.

TheExodu5

Banned
soulassssns said:

It's running fine for me, so there's that. The state of the game is still pretty poor at launch, but if you don't experience any game breaking technical issues, it's perfectly playable. It plays quite nicely, actually.

Artadius

Aside from the quirkiness, the game on PC is pretty solid. I suspect the minor issues to be patched pretty quickly.

Game is fucking fun as shit and combat is pretty satisfying.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I like it from my initial impressions. There is a real weight and power to the melee combat that just feels good. I also love the setting. The character introductions on the character select screen are really well written and voiced too. I am a little worried of it getting too repetitive with fetch quests, but I enjoyed borderlands all the way through so its probably not going to be a problem.

As for the PC graphics you all are talking about they look great on my Radeon HD 4850. No real pixalation on the lighting or the shadows. Took some steam pictures for proof.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Also this is my first time using steam cloud, so sorry if those links don't work, but i think they should. All my pictures of the game should be found here.

TheExodu5 said:
Y for noclip, many people experience broken visuals, lack of vsync option, lack of voice chat bind, Steam overlay causing mouse pointer to persist during gameplay, Steam screenshot (or \ key...not sure) causing the keyboard to not respond until another screenshot is taken.

It's a very rushed job.

yep. Stuff like this should never pass. We buy the games day one with our moneyz. We should not have to put up with this day one patch stuff.

Really to release a game with these sort of bugs is way out there. Its almost like Devs are using patches as a crutch to release unfinished products

Edit: game is really fun though.

SalsaShark said:
pretty much all the reviews are done in the console versions and they dont have any of these issues

these pc "horror stories" will be fixed in a matter of days, hopefully
I hope so, too. I don't mean to sound so negative, I'm just a bit worried.

Moaradin

The core game seems fun, especially since I'm intending to play co op with a friend. I just hope these game breaking bugs will be fixed asap.

TheExodu5

Banned
Also, to be fair, I'm not particularly angry about the rushed job for the purposes of me playing the game. If they patch it quickly, whatever, good on them. My issue is that this paints a very poor picture for PC gaming, and will discourage a lot of inexperienced PC gamers and dissuade them from buying more games. It's not healthy for the PC games industry.

Nelo Ice

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Also, to be fair, I'm not particularly angry about the rushed job for the purposes of me playing the game. If they patch it quickly, whatever, good on them. My issue is that this paints a very poor picture for PC gaming, and will discourage a lot of inexperienced PC gamers and dissuade them from buying more games. It's not healthy for the PC games industry.

i think most potential pc gamers would be confused regardless even if the game was optimized, most people i kno would get lost trying to tweak anything or looking up how to do a simple fix.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pretty much unplayable at this point.

Terrible controls (I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to react to gestural mouse controls).
Busted menus.
Blinding lighting that clearly isn't working right.
Obvious memory leak that leads to huge frame drops after a short period of play.
Checkpoint save system.

I really don't get why people are rushing to defend this game. The technical issues here are some of the worst I've ever experienced, even though the actual game seems surprisingly great. It's just too bad I won't be able to play it until this mess of a game is patched.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:

meh

youre talking as if this was a huge release on wich people chose the PC version over the others for some specific reasons

this is hardly gonna change what anyone thinks

TheExodu5

Banned
SalsaShark said:
meh

youre talking as if this was a huge release on wich people chose the PC version over the others for some specific reasons

this is hardly gonna change what anyone thinks

It's been the top seller on Steam for the past week. There are currently 15,000 players playing it.

Code:
24,563 	67,717 	  	Team Fortress 2
15,048 	17,451 	  	Dead Island
11,265 	61,650 	  	Counter-Strike: Source
10,972 	62,028 	  	Counter-Strike
10,622 	35,019 	  	Deus Ex - Human Revolution
9,888 	26,582 	  	Sid Meier's Civilization V
6,801 	6,942 	  	Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
5,635 	34,748 	  	Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
4,793 	32,386 	  	Football Manager 2011
3,937 	10,648 	  	Terraria

Shoogoo said:
Oh shit it's Brink all over again.

Nah, it's still way better than Brink.

The M.O.B

Sucks some of you are having lots of glitches and problems, game is running fine for me and looking great.

The FOV needs fix though,

deadislandgame2011-09-apav.png

Salsa

1d92c9bac81f850b597e2df5b787f8c143945c83.PNG

TheExodu5 said:
It's been the top seller on Steam for the past week. There are currently 15,000 players playing it.

Code:
24,563 	67,717 	  	Team Fortress 2
15,048 	17,451 	  	Dead Island
11,265 	61,650 	  	Counter-Strike: Source
10,972 	62,028 	  	Counter-Strike
10,622 	35,019 	  	Deus Ex - Human Revolution
9,888 	26,582 	  	Sid Meier's Civilization V
6,801 	6,942 	  	Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
5,635 	34,748 	  	Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
4,793 	32,386 	  	Football Manager 2011
3,937 	10,648 	  	Terraria

Nah, it's still way better than Brink.

the fact that there's still 15,000 players playing it speaks good of it? if everyone was experiencing the "worst bugs ever" that number would have dropped in minutes.

Also, i really doubt those 15,000 users are new PC users or something like that. A "small" release like this being buggy on launch day isnt gonna affect the grand picture of what PC gaming is, you guys are being way too dramatic.

TheExodu5

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
The UI is the only thing in need of emergency patching at this point. It honestly might be the worst I've seen/used this gen.

The UI is not bad at all. Borderlands was/is far worse.

SalsaShark said:
1d92c9bac81f850b597e2df5b787f8c143945c83.PNG

the fact that there's still 15,000 players playing it speaks good of it? if everyone was experiencing the "worst bugs ever" that number would have dropped in minutes.

Also, i really doubt those 15,000 users are new PC users or something like that

I just don't see how you can encourage this kind of behavior from a developer. This is not, and should not be, par for the course.

TheExodu5

Banned
Snuggler said:
PC-Gaf should post some shots in the high-res thread, I'd like to see how this looks.

I'll just post my 2 favorite shots for you (so far):

2333A4F43053E6C237103C8117D1A8E8C7E9277F

44E3C0C42D30331CEB6C3112BAF7F7196BDAC7EB

edit: not to disappoint anyone, but the game does not look nearly this good in motion. These shots are cherry picked. :p

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
I just don't see how you can encourage this kind of behavior from a developer. This is not, and should not be, par for the course.

where am i encouraging it? of course this shouldnt be normal. Im just saying that i really dont think that this will:

TheExodu5 said:
paint a very poor picture for PC gaming, and will discourage a lot of inexperienced PC gamers and dissuade them from buying more games. It's not healthy for the PC games industry.

at all

saying something like that hours after release is being waaaaaaaaaay ahead of yourself

I mean look at your sentence, being about a game that has a no-clip button and some graphical glitches (wich arent even present in some cases).

B-Dex

DidntKnowJack said:

I've been playing the PS3 version and it runs fine. I only noticed screen tear once and the only thing that really bugs me is the pop in on grass. Only glitchy thing that has happened is when I jumped between a rock and a railing and when I jumped to get out I jumped 4 times as high!

(Playing as the rapper cause the voo doo that you do bitch is pimp) lol

Mairu

Played a couple of hours with a friend. It's pretty fun but I think I might wait for another patch or two before playing more. Pretty buggy and I'll echo some of the other complaints that the interface/controls is pretty poor. The durability system is annoying as well but I imagine it gets better later in the game when you get better weapons & upgrades as well as the skills to reduce durability loss.

Game is running fine for me, played a little bit with a Gafer and its was really fun. We had a small bug but other than that no issues other than screen tearing (d3doverider doesnt fix it) and mouse speed in menu's.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ug right after saying the game runs fine i tried to load it up again just to try out the y for noclip thing before it gets patched and there's the impassable black screen. Oh well this will make me wait until i can get some friends online and play it for real. Just hope its patched sooner then later.

Dead Island has got me hook, line, and sinker. Grabbing loot, kicking zombies, and piling up a laundry lists of quests to somehow tackle when I've got a few spare minutes. Nit-pickers are WRONG, Dead Island is AWESOME.

GhostRidah said:
Game is running fine for me, played a little bit with a Gafer and its was really fun. We had a small bug but other than that no issues other than screen tearing (d3doverider doesnt fix it) and mouse speed in menu's.

d3d worked for me though

Top Bottom