• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

ah nice thanks for the screenshots !

man def cant wait to play this, need to get wife out of house when get home so I can turn the sound up and turn the house into a cave LOL

I am 8-10 hours into the game and am only on act 4... I just got to the church and there is another HUGE map to roam around in/explore. This game is massive.

Ploid 3.0

So as I did the FOV edit I saw a lot of other options. That stuff really editable without getting banned? There seemed to be a lot of powerful options. Unless its all cosmetic.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man... so digital control makes me feel like a superhero and analog makes me feel like I can't take on more than two reg zombies.

Need a middle ground...

Baha

Ploid 3.0 said:
So as I did the FOV edit I saw a lot of other options. That stuff really editable without getting banned? There seemed to be a lot of powerful options. Unless its all cosmetic.

This post from the steam forums explains it better than I can:
This method will surely not ban your account.

Why?

VAC checks for memory changes, file changes like the dll or exe files etc. If Dead Island reads out a loose file on itself, then this most likely will not ban you.

This would be very very strange, if this would give you a VAC ban. If you play on a secure server in dead island, it will surely ignore those file edits, because then it forces the cs:source/tf2/l4d/l4d2/etc equivalent command, which is "sv_consistency 1" and/or "sv_pure 1".

Steam couldn't allow it, to let VAC ban people because a game is loading loose files. Otherwise modifications for other games would be a banable reason as well.

See it this way, if you are familiar with it:

Gamebryo Engine games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas have a SDK to create mods. If you create a mod, it is created as loose files (models, textures, sounds etc) and the mod loading file, which is an ESP.

In the Game Launcher, you tell the game to load loose files, bam, it loads loose files, therefor your mod files.

In Dead Island, this method is automaticly enabled, therefor it checks a special directory for loose files and if there are loose files, it loads them.

If you would use the method to modify the named dll file to no crash, if you modify the archives...this will ban you, because the checksum from the dll is not correct anymore and VAC thinks, that it has been modified for cheats or other suspicious reasons. BAN!

Sure, to be completly on the safe side, you should E-Mail Techland and/or Valve and ask about this, but as I said above:

I highly doubt it, that you will be VAC Banned, if you place a loose file there and if the game loads the loose file without problems.

tjohn86 said:
The first one was the blood bath dlc. They second said "You already own this game, access it through the library." So I guess that could be a full copy?

So the first code listed is definitely DLC and the second is the game? I wanna give a copy to my friend so we can play together but still want the DLC.

Ploid 3.0

1bc22806b96514a857ba986b73bf4befd37a207f.jpg

The sense of speed is greater with this FOV edit. Also vehicles are more fun to drive.

This unlocks on Steam in my region in 5 hours, should I get it? I know that there are a few "issues" with the PC version at present so I don't mind waiting a week until they put the real game on Steam.

DrBo42

Evolved1 said:
Man... so digital control makes me feel like a superhero and analog makes me feel like I can't take on more than two reg zombies.

Need a middle ground...
They need to make it so your swings are determined by the direction you move the stick from the deadzone (middle). Having to constantly prep your swing means you cannot fight groups effectively.

Marty Chinn said:
That's fixed? That doesn't look so good....
Yeah, looks warped as fuck.

LProtag

Now I'm freaked out about losing saves and stuff.

Though I'm not playing until tomorrow at the least when my friend gets his copy.

tjohn86

Marty Chinn said:
So the first code listed is definitely DLC and the second is the game? I wanna give a copy to my friend so we can play together but still want the DLC.

I can confirm the first one unlocked the blood bath dlc.

It just said the second code is for one of the 300 steam games I own. Wish I could activate it as a gift.

Ploid 3.0 said:
http://i.picpar.com/1bc22806b96514a857ba986b73bf4befd37a207f.jpg[img]

The sense of speed is greater with this FOV edit. Also vehicles are more fun to drive.[/QUOTE]
What is going on in that screenshot? Did a zombie thrown an arm into your truck?

Teknoman

Regardless of the realistic settings, its still an RPG. Some RPGs have level restrictions on items, so it makes sense if you think of it like that.

Flunkie

Banned
Evolved1 said:

Need a middle ground...
Yeah, at some times I wish I could switch to digital on the fly to just swing like a madman (in my character's case, madwoman [
oh, but the feminism thread! nooo!
]) to fend off a large herd. But kicking helps you break down the large groups into smaller, bite-sized battles (where, in my opinion, the brilliance of the combat lies).

Re: GMG sending out two keys:

So GMG just gave out duplicates to everyone?

Havok

Booted up my PS3 copy after a looong session yesterday.

Lost ten hours worth of progress.

God damn it Techland.

Baha

Neuromancer said:
What is going on in that screenshot? Did a zombie thrown an arm into your truck?

It's the player animation in this game. In first person it isn't very noticeable thanks to the default fov but when that fov is raised you start noticing how bad the animation is. There's a video posted like 2 pages back showing the dev build with a third person cam and the player animations are hilariously terrible.

vitaminwateryum said:
If the window in your car cracks you smash it out with your hand so you can see.
I know but doesn't it usually look like your arm is actually attached to your body?

Baha said:
It's the player animation in this game. In first person it isn't very noticeable thanks to the default fov but when that fov is raised you start noticing how bad the animation is. There's a video posted like 2 pages back showing the dev build with a third person cam and the player animations are hilariously terrible.
Oh I see.

tjohn86 said:
I can confirm the first one unlocked the blood bath dlc.

It just said the second code is for one of the 300 steam games I own. Wish I could activate it as a gift.

DarkUSS said:
Got 2 codes from GMG.com as well. No idea what they do though, the second one was already activated too.

Thanks guys. I would have thought the first code was the game and the second was DLC, but you guys were spot on. Just gave my friend the code and it worked.

Ledsen

jim-jam bongs said:
This unlocks on Steam in my region in 5 hours, should I get it? I know that there are a few "issues" with the PC version at present so I don't mind waiting a week until they put the real game on Steam.

If you buy it now you can get it for like $36 from Green Man Gaming. PM me if you want a referral code.

tjohn86

Marty Chinn said:
Thanks guys. I would have thought the first code was the game and the second was DLC, but you guys were spot on. Just gave my friend the code and it worked.

It activated a full copy of dead island?

Marco1

Can't wait to play this but currently in the process of waiting for a new 120Hz monitor.
The other one had this awful motion blur that made FPS games unplayable, although it had great blacks.

Enco

vitaminwateryum said:
Nothin' here. Le sigh.

Still down when I checked a little while ago.
TheNamelessOne said:
Only one key here, both in mail and in account.
Are you from the UK?

This has to be a mistake. Wouldn't be surprised if they codes get deactivated.

Otherwise, awesome offer from the creators for the messed up release haha.

vitaminwateryum said:
Nothin' here. Le sigh.

Still down when I checked a little while ago.
Would be awesome
ly terrible
if they accidentally sent out their new stock of keys to people who already received theirs instead of the people waiting.

Top Bottom