• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

vitaminwateryum said:
About to start a NG+ with a friend, we're at chapter 1, anyone want in over hamachi? We've got one spot.
Why not? Limitation of Hamachi?

Scalpel Knight said:
It looks like I got two codes for the game. Awesome. Once you get past the terrible technical issues and can actually play, it's a lot of fun.
If you got it through GMG the second one is supposed to get deactivated.

DrBo42

vitaminwateryum said:
No clue, something a friend just told me. That 4 player is bugged or something, could be false though.
Maybe it's something on the DI end, can't be hamachi. As long as everyone shows up as green and has a direct tunnel to all members, there should be no problem. If people can't see your game, they may need to bump the priority on the hamachi network adapter within their Network and Sharing (if on Vista).

R1CHO

JambiBum said:
Where did you find a shotgun??? I haven't seen a single one and I'm like 40% through the story.

In the city. You can find shotgun and assault rifle in the city. I found one golden/yellow shotgun in the armory of the police station.

Holy shit this game has the most amazing faux Australian accents ever. Also I just hit a zombie in the crotch with a thrown blade, yanked it out then cut her head off with it 0.0

jim-jam bongs said:
Holy shit this game has the most amazing faux Australian accents ever. Also I just hit a zombie in the crotch with a thrown blade, yanked it out then cut her head off with it 0.0
... I can't afford to spend $40 bucks on this game right now! Damnit...

Coverly

Looks like the PC game lobby is working now.

How does the friends list work in the Dead Island game lobby? I have a friend on steam playing but I don't see him listed there. Do we have to add friends manually?

Enco

Glad to see it's working now!

Tomorrow is the day I finally play this. Hell yea.

Any news on the extra keys sent out?

PaulLFC

Enco said:
Glad to see it's working now!

Tomorrow is the day I finally play this. Hell yea.

Any news on the extra keys sent out?
There was a post on the last page from the GMG forums, it was a mistake and apparently the extra keys are getting revoked soon (but not the DLC, those keys will still be okay).

I wish the next 2 hours would hurry up and disappear so my game would unlock! For some reason the Steam Cloud icon has a '?' next to it for Dead Island, what does that mean? Is it just because the game hasn't unlocked yet?

Enco

PaulLFC said:
There was a post on the last page from the GMG forums, it was a mistake and apparently the extra keys are getting revoked soon (but not the DLC, those keys will still be okay).

I wish the next 2 hours would hurry up and disappear so my game would unlock! For some reason the Steam Cloud icon has a '?' next to it for Dead Island, what does that mean? Is it just because the game hasn't unlocked yet?
Yup, just read that now.

Thought as much :p

Teknoman

Coverly said:
Looks like the PC game lobby is working now.

How does the friends list work in the Dead Island game lobby? I have a friend on steam playing but I don't see him listed there. Do we have to add friends manually?

Invite via steam. I think the game lobby is just to show who is currently in your game.

PC servers are up? Anyone else still Act 1, I'm lvl 8 and doing as many side quests as possible, want to join me?

Steam id: sutton_dagger

What is the process of connecting with co-op players?

Enco

Marty Chinn said:
I wonder if it's just invalidating keys so they can't be redeemed or if they are revoking access after they have been redeemed.
They guy said don't put them on steam as they can cause some issues being tied to your account.

It could possibly lead to you getting suspended/banned. Just guessing. Either way, they wont work.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
PaulLFC said:

??? Eurogaf?

I'm in Canada and have been playing since Steam 'released' it...

Teknoman

Damn...you still cant do text chat while using a gamepad. I'd just go with voice chat, but it would be better if it was push to talk.

PaulLFC

Kuro Madoushi said:
??? Eurogaf?

I'm in Canada and have been playing since Steam 'released' it...
Yup, I'm in UK :( the 3 day wait for games to unlock while everyone else talks about how much fun they are to play is horrible!

Stitch

Gold Member
I need to get a girl to the lighthouse but she's not following me. pressed every button but she's not doing anything :|

oh ok, I need to get in the car (yಠ,ಠ)y

Stitch said:
I need to get a girl to the lighthouse but she's not following me. pressed every button but she's not doing anything :|

I got in the driver's seat of the truck and waited for like 10 seconds and finally she ran over.

Derrick01

Banned
Stitch said:

Same thing happened to me, she followed when I got into a truck but before then I couldn't get her to budge.

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase inventory size? I'm struggling with just 12 slots since I usually have a medkit and booze on me, plus I'm finding better weapons now too.

edit: haha i'm an idiot, i just noticed the ability in the level up tree.

Stitch

Gold Member
Haha yeah just figured that out. I got into the car first but she still didn't do anything. Then I tried again and she followed me. (yಠ,ಠ)y

Phat Michael said:
The edge guy must have played it for all but 2 hours.

I haven't enjoyed an sp game this much in a very long time.

some +/-

+Lighting is superb, much of it seems baked but I'll take that any day of shitty crushed blacks and super jaggy shadows.
Here in the brightest of day when shadows are casted under a roof or umbrella they are soft and you can see everything in the shadows well.
First game that manages to do that since dynamic lighting shit started this gen, compared to bad company 2 's eye rape bloom+crushed blacks this is heaven

+they absolutely nailed many of the textures and effects, they just look right and fit in so well.
From stuff like carpet, to marble tiles, to wooden posts and statues etc etc it almost all looks spot on.
Especially the Hotel that you get to after +-8 hours looks really nice.

+sound design is really nice, atmospheric music and sounds without getting in the way, no hoorah soldier or bromigo horseshit dialog, the voice acting is way above par for videogames (usually horrible, here very servicable)

+very immersive, I hate that word normally it's always used to bullshit people in 'AAA' games, but here you forget you are playing a game.
When you are loading fuel and juice into the back of your pickup truck after clearing out a gas station and solving environmental puzzles (basic but enjoyable) you feel like you are there and the world is just there.

+no cinematic corridor shit , the world is pretty open with lots of branches and paths, non interactive cutscenes are rare, the ones that are there are short.

+combat is satisfying, can't really put my finger on why, it just is.
Never been able to enjoy melee in a first person game before.
The throwing mechanic is a lot of fun.

- holy mother of LOD, I hope someone comes up with a way to crank up LOD scaling distance because the pop in of little details while driving sucks, if the draw distance on this stuff was better it would be a graphically and especially easthetically impressive game

-talent trees are silly, incremental stuff that should just be given automatically while playing like in oldschool games.
Having to put points into inventory slots or to open stupid loot boxes or get 5 percent more dmg with 1h weapons is lame as hell, and the good talents should come during the story.
RPG shit I hate it.

-inventory managment/weapon switching could have been done better , the constant switching when throwing weapons is akward

-first hour is weak

-there are 2-3 really pointless fetch quests so far in the first 10 hours that make you go out of your way to get them.
Takes the pacing out of the game, terrible idea.

Questions: how are you guys getting AA? I don't see the option.

Where can I find my savegames? Can't seem to find them in my user/docu folder.

Carm

Stitch said:

Oh man, if this really works, it saves the game for me. I can't play more than 10 minutes without gettng sick. While this info is great, I think something more important with this link is the youtube video linked in the comments regarding FOV in game design.

This two part video needs to be fucking emailed to basically every developer that makes FPS for pc or ports them to pc.

Part 1
Part 2

Edit: Hrm I haven't received any dlc codes from GMG yet. I wonder since they funked up sending out game keys to, there will be a delay on the dlc key now.

Top Bottom