• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

Hawk SE

My Review: http://www.savingcontent.com/video-game-review/dead-island-riptide/

Short Version: Dead Island Riptide is priced like a budget title, even while at times it may perform or act like it. There’s an overwhelming sense that you’ve done this all before. Riptide is to The Lost World as Dead Island is to Jurassic Park. It’s a different island, but with the same problems as before. That said, Riptide is my preferred Dead Island experience. There’s just more variety and fun to be had from lessons learned from the 2011 original. A word of caution to those looking to open their wallets to a true sequel, should probably wait.

Score: 3 out of 5
Likes: Explorable and haunting open-world, Strong and gruesome melee combat still satisfies, Terrifying zombie sounds
Dislikes: Too similar to the first game, Bugs hinder the action, Visuals are uneven

Enjoy my video review for the 360 version. Long story short. Fans of the original will enjoy this outing, regardless of subtle tweaks and changes. Those that had issues with the franchise, will find nothing new worth changing their mind.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I don't do reviews anymore, so here's a screenshot from the PC version:

screenshot203819copypjprp.png

I'm enjoying the game, if you're interested in my opinion. Early reviews seem to be overlooking the fun of the game and focusing on the technical aspects.

Edit: And most of the reviews appear to be from the X360 version.

JebusF

Neo Member
I'm enjoying the game, if you're interested in my opinion. Early reviews seem to be overlooking the fun of the game and focusing on the technical aspects.

Edit: And most of the reviews appear to be from the X360 version.

The PC version is so much nicer looking, that's for sure.

It's a game designed for co-op imho. You can have fun on your own, but you can lose hours with friends.

FYC

Banned
Enjoy my video review for the 360 version. Long story short. Fans of the original will enjoy this outing, regardless of subtle tweaks and changes. Those that had issues with the franchise, will find nothing new worth changing their mind.

Already subbed to you Slasher, nice review.

I like the first DI, but I think I'll wait for a sale on this one.

The_Monk

I just cancelled my long time pre-order today from amazon.

I love the first one and I was really hyped for this one but I had to come clean, I have a very decent Backlog and some loot games too to finish/start. This game seems more of the same which, to be honest is good to me since I finished the first and then went back to help a friend with some quests.

I believe that this game is good even if it's the same as the first one with some tweaks, but right now, saving some € and cleaning the Backlog has won.

codhand

reviews are bad, but they set the expectations so that i cant be mad,

they all say it's more of the same, and since i enjoyed part 1 more than most, i think this will be as enjoyable for me.

that screenshot is pretty awesome,...

Whats turned me off it is the fact that it looks like an entire game based on the most boring part of Dead Island; The Jungle level. Well, 2nd most boring level, after the Prison.

Ricker

Game Informer liked it...should be fun.

''Riptide’s flaws are many, but they couldn’t hold me back from having a blast. Few games nail the visceral feel of melee combat and co-op fun like Dead Island.''

''Importing your survivor

Players can import characters from the first Dead Island – whether you beat the game with them or not -– as long it’s on the same profile. These characters transfer over with nothing but their previous skills and level. This is great for dedicated players who maxed out their Dead Island characters, and there are even a few new skills to learn. If you’re starting fresh in Riptide or your previous character is fairly low-level, you can start a new character with 15 skill points free to allocate how you see fit.''

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...mbie-killing-bliss-with-some-rough-edges.aspx

Nice review like always Slasher...

These reviews are hilarious when you compare them to the 9.9/10 goty crap when it comes to skyrim etc.

Dead island is the only game I've ever played that actually had fun and enjoyable first person melee combat with a sense of a feedback to it and actual hit reactions.

They dock 4 points for the UI and story in a fun game while a turd like skyrim that has probably the worst UI in an rpg ever and the same kind of fan fiction quality story, piles and piles of bugs and glitches, hasn't evolved since the first elderscrolls days and has a terrible lifeless combat system to go with it has all those flaws overlooked because <questionmark>.

Marketing? Bethesda made it? I really don't know.

The reviews in the first game were the same, and they all complained about things that stopped being an issue 3 hours into the game like durability(I don't think most reviewers made it off the beach before writing their review)

seems to me like they intended for this to be a larger DLC expansion for the first game, but instead decided to make it stand-alone, but they focused on content instead of fixing problems with the game engine.

More of the same doesn't bother me much since I enjoyed the first game (especially once it was modded, which I hope is just as easy in this game), but I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't fix problems like getting stunlocked on a burning zombie corpse.

Preloading was fixed, fortunately, so at least I'm ready to go when the game unlocks.

Twinduct

Playing DI last night, got to the prison. Ugh I enjoyed the slums way more than the prison.

With Rip tide, any mention of changing the way Loot works? Kinda felt broken when I can kill stuff pretty easily still using a weapon I picked up on the beach

wow I'm glad I didnt listen to the bad reviews on the original game, dead island ended up being one of my favorite games of all time (I love action RPG, tropical settings and zombie games)

some brutal scores here for the sequel, dont care bought already and looking forward to playing the new guy...

Melchiah

Ya framerate issues are the one consistent I keep reading about or hearing about. Some of the walkthroughs being shown on the video sites right now really ram that issue home.

So regardless it looks like we have SOME way of getting a usable fps. Its just going to take some detective work to figure out what the issue is. Cache, harddrive and so forth. Could be another Dragons Dogma but god lets hope not! This issue with like hardware getting different FPS isn't new sadly.

I'm a bit worried about that, as I had several framerate problems with ME3, that others on Gaf apparently didn't have. Particularly in the Citadel Presidium, Leviathan DLC's canyon mission, and the "memory leak isolated" match in the combat simulator in Citadel DLC. But I hope I'm on the safe side, as there were no such framerate issues in the first DI.

"Players can import characters from the first Dead Island &#8211; whether you beat the game with them or not -&#8211; as long it&#8217;s on the same profile. These characters transfer over with nothing but their previous skills and level. This is great for dedicated players who maxed out their Dead Island characters, and there are even a few new skills to learn. If you&#8217;re starting fresh in Riptide or your previous character is fairly low-level, you can start a new character with 15 skill points free to allocate how you see fit."
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...mbie-killing-bliss-with-some-rough-edges.aspx

Bummer. I thought the collected gear would transfer as well. It'll be hard to go back to the flimsy and weak weapons. Not so great for dedicated players, who went the trouble of finding most of the gear, including the Developer Mods.

These reviews are hilarious when you compare them to the 9.9/10 goty crap when it comes to skyrim etc.

Yeah, I wonder why the flaws in Skyrim and Mass Effect were overlooked, and didn't affect the points.

Sethos

Banned
First one was pretty crap but fun for a few hours, I expect this to be more of the same.

Not sure I'd pay full price for it ...

I'm still working on the first Dead Island on PC and have hit the 27 hour mark in Shanty Town. I am close to 60% done and I still feel like the PC version for this franchise is the way to go vs. the consoles. I had tried the PS3 version of the first game and it was marred with issues. I figure I have another 10-15 hours left since I end up searching every nook and cranny plus I have been trying to complete each side mission. I'll pick up Riptide on Steam and I bet in a few weeks there could be a decent sale on this.

lunchtoast

I beat the first one last week on PC. I made it to the jungle on console and it was alright. I didn't start to enjoy it until I downloaded a mod pack so I'll probably get this one once it's on sale.

kafiend

As much as I loved the first game this just comes over as DLC that some idiot wearing a suit and moneyhat made a full release.

Won't buy until the price drops to around a DLC expansion amount.

I enjoyed the first game. Not enough to plat it, but it was def fun in co-op. Doesn't sound like this game is that different so I'm sure I'll like it too.

ironcreed

Banned
I loved the first one, so seeing as this is basically more of the same with a few additions here and there and a lower price, I can't really see it as a bad thing. Not going to pick it up right away, but it is definitely one I'll get at some point.

Sethos

Banned
Ouch. Too bad games like COD don't get hammered for being more of the same released on a yearly schedule, but what else is new?

Call of Duty had an addictive gameplay that actually withstands the constant rehashes. Dead Island was already a pretty mediocre game with some shit mechanics that lived and died by co-op. Not every game can be rehashes successfully.

yeah, I hate to defend CoD, but I'm pretty sure it is at least of fairly high quality as far as bugs and mechanics are concerned (never played one, so I can't really comment on it). That doesn't mean it deserves the consistently high scores it gets every year, but I can understand why Riptide would receive lower scores when "more of the same" includes the annoying bugs and mechanics from the first game.

ironcreed

Banned
Call of Duty had an addictive gameplay that actually withstands the constant rehashes. Dead Island was already a pretty mediocre game with some shit mechanics that lived and died by co-op. Not every game can be rehashes successfully.

In it's favor, at least it is not even being billed as a sequel, it's not full priced and is not yet being rolled out on a yearly rehash conveyor belt. As for the mechanics being shit? Well, there is jank to be sure, but it is still a pretty damn fun system for what it is.

I'm just annoyed that problems such as hit detection and status-effect stunlocking apparently haven't been fixed properly. And hindsight's 20/20 because I didn't even consider that I've been having fun with the original on the PC because of the Director's Cut mod, and who knows when an equivalent will be released for Riptide?

yeah, if they are giving DI:riptide low scores because it's more of the same then screw those reviews. I had a blast with the first one so I will get the second one.

Eurogamer 6/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-22-dead-island-riptide-review

Kinda what I expected really generally. More of the same etc. I'm, fine with that.

All of which leaves us in much the same situation we were in with Dead Island. A few boring tunnel missions aside (why do they keep doing this?!), this is a rich and attractive open-world environment

All of which leaves us in much the same situation we were in with Dead Island.A few boring tunnel missions aside (why do they keep doing this?!), this is a rich and attractive open-world environment

A few boring tunnel missions aside (why do they keep doing this?!)

why do they keep doing this?!
Thats..keeping me from wanting to dig into this..those levels almost made me quit playing altogether in the first DI. :(

Is the new weather system really good? I think that alone is good enough for a purchase. I really like weather in games. It ups the immersion.

I second that, I love the weather + night/day cycles in this game. I wonder if they improved it at all in this game. I don't think we have had a zombie game yet with snow, that could be interesting.

Hearing about more tunnel missions is kind of meh. I think those were the worst and most boring that I have seen so far in my DI playthrough.

how close together are those missions is the important question

in DI you had to go into the sewers, come out in the mayor's office, almost IMMEDIATELY go back into the second sewer area, go through the supermarket, come back through the two sewer sections in reverse, then once you got the food back to the church, immediately went back in AGAIN to get into the police station.

The worst part about that last sewer trip is that it was intentionally padded. The waypoint directs you to an area at the bottom of the map, while the police station is towards the top. Meanwhile, there's a manhole right next to the police station that, if taken, will make the sewer trip last for about a minute at the most.

Karak

Looks like many of the reviews are in agreement.
My earlier review for Angry Gamer
Review

yeah, if they are giving DI:riptide low scores because it's more of the same then screw those reviews. I had a blast with the first one so I will get the second one.
I agree and never have understood that. Its what you get on the DVD that matters to me and if its fun or not. Besides in one breath they will say that something is more of the same than in another beg for a sequel of another game with the exact same issues.

Despite a good deal of FPS issues and so forth I still had a fun enough time that I would suggest people rent it and if they patch it I would suggest a buy.

derFeef

I was talking about the PC version. It just seemed sluggish to me.

There was a bug with the movement in the first Dead Island where it stuttered and felt slowed down if you walked or something (it had to do with the keyboard). There was a tool that fixed that. You would not notice it when playing with a controller (which should be done anyway - analogue combat ftw.)

edit: holy shit at title change ;)

WarMacheen

There was a bug with the movement in the first Dead Island where it stuttered and felt slowed down if you walked or something (it had to do with the keyboard). There was a tool that fixed that. You would not notice it when playing with a controller (which should be done anyway - analogue combat ftw.)

Ah, thanks for that. I usually play with a controller but my original 360 wired took a crap and I switched to keyboard.

Karak

I'm a bit worried about that, as I had several framerate problems with ME3, that others on Gaf apparently didn't have. Particularly in the Citadel Presidium, Leviathan DLC's canyon mission, and the "memory leak isolated" match in the combat simulator in Citadel DLC. But I hope I'm on the safe side, as there were no such framerate issues in the first DI.
True enough. One of the things I am taking away from this generation is that feeling that not all the systems are alike despite having the same hardware. Many times I chalked it up to perhaps just the user. But now having so many consoles to test on there is something odd about the difference from console to console.
When I was recording for the Dead Island review I noticed a big difference between 2 particular 360's. It reminded me of those complaints from many PS3 users that reported drastically different performance depending on what PS3 they had with Dragons Dogma. Than I saw it, and recorded it first hand. Sort of odd for sure.

For those worried about tunnel sections. There is one tunnel section. You never have to go back through it unless you choose to and I thought it was done much better then the sewers in the first. Also the end game aka prison of DI I thought felt pretty rushed. End game here felt better. I agree with everyone who wonders why every other minimal update franchise that's been repeatedly released over and over gets a free pass but we get a second Dead Island and because its more of the same and not some mind blowing sequel... Well then lets just throw a turd sandwhich at it. Yep. Sure.

Karak

The controller is the ONLY way to play DI on the PC. Kidding. But that's what it feels like. Its slick with the controller for sure.

lol at COD defence force

I havent been able to play a COD campaign more than 3 hours before being bored. (I dont play multiplayer)

Top Bottom