• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

haadim

Completed on Normal, trudging on in Morbid difficulty.

This game is demanding but also so frenetic and addicting!

One of best games on psn bar none.

haadim said:
Completed on Normal, trudging on in Morbid difficulty.

This game is demanding but also so frenetic and addicting!

One of best games on psn bar none.

I was waiting for an announcement in Gamescom regarding more addictions :p

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
I'm in love with this game. If anyone ever wants to play some co-op on PSN hit me up please add AcidAvatar

ask Baconbitz, just a few posts up :D But i must suggest try to get someone to play local coop, so much better when you can do practise runs and communicate properly. Oh, and play atleast on Grim.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Noisepurge said:
ask Baconbitz, just a few posts up :D But i must suggest try to get someone to play local coop, so much better when you can do practise runs and communicate properly. Oh, and play atleast on Grim.

No voicechat on PSN?

Evolved1 said:
No voicechat on PSN?

They patched that in yes, but it's not as effective as playing side by side :D The later stages are all about memorizing enemy locations and being as effective as possible with the given weapons :D

Just got my Platinum for Dead Nation this morning, absolutely loved it.

The game is a lot of fun, getting rushed by zombies and having to fight your way out is always fun. The game has some great music too, subtle at times yet it knows when to build it up to help get things going and create a great atmosphere. As for graphics I think they are surprisingly great, in the sense that if you were to give it a quick look you might overlook how much detail there really is, plus the lighting is perfect (including the torch light effect) and really makes it tough/exciting to keep an eye out for stray zombies, especially on the harder difficulties where overlooking a couple of zombies can be deadly.

I would love a sequel, I think there is still more they could do and maybe even add some more special zombies as they really added to the tension when you realised there was 1 coming right for you, surrounded by zombies giving it a human shield all while you are getting surrounded too :)

Number45

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/09/06/dead-nation-is-expanding/

New SP (and I assume co-op) DLC: "Road to Devastation". Sign me up!

You’ll find yourself waking up in a laboratory with only one way out. Outside the door you’re presented with a choice – you’re faced with a crossroads leading to three different roads, each with their own unique environments, challenges and enemies waiting for you.
In the end, if you manage to overcome the challenges, just when you think it’s over, you’ll make a startling revelation…

Harri

Housemarque
We don't know the price yet - it should be affordable. One thing I can reveal is that the DLC got higher ratings in our internal tests (which were done with randomly selected gamers) than the main game. We are learning.

That said Dead Nation scored very well in our tests and in the wide Beta test we did with Sony. I guess that is the reason the main game is *still* selling very well, outselling many of the new releases, even after we gave it away for a month.

Anyway, it is interesting to see how well this DLC does. I love to be able to support our games after the release - we thank Sony for that.

And, yes, the DLC has been in development since we finished the main game.

Number45

Some more infos on the DLC: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/09/16/road-of-devastation-new-weapons-new-enemies-new-rules/

As Road of Devastation begins, you (and your partner if co-op) escape from a laboratory and find yourself at a crossroads leading to three different roads. Each road has its own perks and dangers lying in wait – with different environments, items and enemies for you to discover. Choose your road, and let the devastation begin…

6139949103_ffe81df45f.jpg

6140501736_1aab7c5a56.jpg

Raist

Banned
Harri said:
We don't know the price yet - it should be affordable. One thing I can reveal is that the DLC got higher ratings in our internal tests (which were done with randomly selected gamers) than the main game. We are learning.

That said Dead Nation scored very well in our tests and in the wide Beta test we did with Sony. I guess that is the reason the main game is *still* selling very well, outselling many of the new releases, even after we gave it away for a month.

Anyway, it is interesting to see how well this DLC does. I love to be able to support our games after the release - we thank Sony for that.

And, yes, the DLC has been in development since we finished the main game.

Yeah I doubt you guys would price it anywhere near the main game.
Anyway, don't really care about the price. Only thing that matters is: when?

Decado said:
Does the patch/dlc add anything to the original campaign?

which patch?

there was one that came out not long ago that made some pretty significant (good) changes. a few examples are that you can buy a laser sight for most of the weapons now, not just the rifle, when playing co-op each person's laser is a different color, and you can no longer accidentally shoot cars and other explosive items that aren't visible. (ie: shooting past an enemy and then a car way off screen blows up, thus keeping you from getting the loot in the trunk)

there are more changes that were made but i can't think of them right now. i don't know if there was a patch released with the add on. i downloaded/installed it last night and didn't notice anything, thought i haven't actually tried DN since then.

Decado

When you boot up Dead Nation you are asked to install the 1.07 patch, regardless of whether or not you buy the DLC. I'm not referring to the 1.05 patch.

Decado said:
When you boot up Dead Nation you are asked to install the 1.07 patch, regardless of whether or not you buy the DLC. I'm not referring to the 1.05 patch.

was it small? probably just a quick patch to enable the DLC. most games without day-one-DLC this gen seem to have one.

dallow_bg said:
1.07 patch was for the DLC, 365MB.

wow you're right. i was wondering why the DLC i downloaded was only 100kb. the DLC YOU BOUGHT only unlocks what they patched into the game.

which means you lose 365mb weather you like it or not, and the DLC is just an unlock.

they are now heading toward "DLC on the disc" except with digital downloads... O__O

Melchiah

The good:
Three paths with two different routes each.
Enemies evolve.
Changes in scenery.
Various environmental ways to exterminate the zombies.

The bad:
The paths and routes aren't that long.
One death = game over = you lose everything you've gained.

If that won't be fixed, I don't see myself playing this for long, as I don't really enjoy starting from scratch over and over again.

Just died because a crate containing a Cutter dropped on top of me, and now I should start again from the beginning and collect all the weapons, and armor, and cash I had? Ain't gonna happen.

Decado

So it doesn't add anything to the main campaign, by the sounds of it. Really surprising...would have though the new enemies/weapons would have been integrated into it. Pretty obvious, no? Will probably still buy for coop, but this doesn't bode well for future releases.

Bah I'm on the last checkpoint on last level on morbid? the difficulty before undead solo, silly me rushed the entire level and now I dont have enough weapon upgrades to complete it, can't restart level, only option is to redo the entire campaign which I don't plan on doing again oh well

Melchiah

Decado said:
So it doesn't add anything to the main campaign, by the sounds of it. Really surprising...would have though the new enemies/weapons would have been integrated into it. Pretty obvious, no? Will probably still buy for coop, but this doesn't bode well for future releases.

No, it doesn't seem to add anything to the main campaign.

From what I've seen so far, it has at least one new addition; a turret, which you can use like a mine. But I dunno whether it can be used in the campaign.

Not to mention, that I suspect it doesn't let you save your progress, if you want to continue playing some other day. If so, the team definitely didn't listen to their fans the last time, when people were complaining about the lack of checkpoint saves, which then were added later on.

rc213

While I agree with the bad points of the DLC, I think for $4 I can let it slide.

Really should have integrated everything in to the main campaign to give the whole game new life.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Melchiah said:
Not to mention, that I suspect it doesn't let you save your progress, if you want to continue playing some other day. If so, the team definitely didn't listen to their fans the last time, when people were complaining about the lack of checkpoint saves, which then were added later on.
I only got to round 4 last night, but even that took some time. If there's no save for that mode, that's pretty lame.

For $4 it's pretty cool overall. There's some fun twists on the gameplay, and some interesting strategy in picking the order of your routes. I'd love to see a full fledged sequel incorporating the new elements into a real campaign. I'd also just love a New Game+ mode of some kind, they can make it so that it doesn't count towards stats/trophies or whatever, but let me get super powered and then have fun blowing the shit out of zombies.

Melchiah

Dan said:
I only got to round 4 last night, but even that took some time. If there's no save for that mode, that's pretty lame.

For $4 it's pretty cool overall. There's some fun twists on the gameplay, and some interesting strategy in picking the order of your routes. I'd love to see a full fledged sequel incorporating the new elements into a real campaign. I'd also just love a New Game+ mode of some kind, they can make it so that it doesn't count towards stats/trophies or whatever, but let me get super powered and then have fun blowing the shit out of zombies.

Totally agree.

I think it was the same round I died the last time. There's a really annoying part in the end of one route,
weapons -> bombs IIRC
, where you pretty much die if you don't have some heavy arsenal at hand, and plenty of grenades/mines.

EDIT: I wonder how it's in the co-op mode, does the game continue as long as one of the players is alive?

the DLC is incredible. a 4 dollar arcade score run mode that gets increasingly hard? perfection!

THIS is how you make choices in games. directly wired into the gameplay and scoring system.

got to round 13 last night with my buddy, ended up in 1st on the boards with 110 million or so. it took i think 1:55, so 2 hours is a fairly long and stressful investment. that was our 3rd try at the game, so i don't want to hear bitching that it's too hard or something. we hadn't played the game almost since it came out

as long as one person is alive, yes you can keep going. i died at 48 million by a silent jumper trick, and we ended up coming back fairly strong.

the new screamer enemy is awesome, so much more manageable and less annoying. noticed that the jumper guy spawns can be more tricky. sometimes they will scream jump to a roof, then silently fall off which confused me a few times. LOVE the helicopter boss rush drops. we had 30 enemies, a jumper, then TWO cutters get dropped in, so fucking amazing!

we had a funny glitch too, my friend used his health pack item near a wall, and it ended up on the top of the wall. i assume the item works by instantly dropping and picking it up again like a big health pack, but it got hung on the terrain. weird and annoying, but seems very contained.

"I'm glad" they didn't just add 3 new missions or something. this is something you can play over and over again

the ONLY bad thing i could tell, was the framerate is much more finicky with the amount of crap going on (dead bodies), and we had at least 100 odd netcode pauses that were making us really nervous

Mr.Fresh

So I bought this game since it's October and I like to play horror games and watch horror movies to get in the Halloween spirit. You guys wanna run threw this this month?

So I bought this game since it's October and I like to play horror games and watch horror movies to get in the Halloween spirit. You guys wanna run threw this this month?

I would love to play if you see this. I have nobody to play with!

And did anybody else buy this for the US PSN Halloween sale? Only $3 for Plus members, and only $5 or $6 for non plus. Just reply or shoot me a PM if ya wanna play

Top Bottom