• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

Finished up my online Grim run with a buddy last night. Holy crap does voice chat make it so much easier as we can now coordinate who is using what and how to approach certain areas. How is Morbid difficulty? I'm tempted to give that a go sometime.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, can anyone at all tell me if Dead Nation is remotely playable on an SDTV? YouTube videos make everything look pretty damn small, and I can only imagine how much worse it'd be on an SD display. I really want to take advantage of the sale, but I'm just not sure.

(Also, please refrain from the HERP DERP PLAYING PS3 ON AN SDTV stuff. I know. I've heard it all before. For the moment there's nothing I can do about it.)

DireStr8s

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, can anyone at all tell me if Dead Nation is remotely playable on an SDTV? YouTube videos make everything look pretty damn small, and I can only imagine how much worse it'd be on an SD display. I really want to take advantage of the sale, but I'm just not sure.

(Also, please refrain from the HERP DERP PLAYING PS3 ON AN SDTV stuff. I know. I've heard it all before. For the moment there's nothing I can do about it.)

totally playable. i've had no issues on an sd set.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
nickslicl said:
totally playable. i've had no issues on an sd set.

You must have a far bigger SD set than I do or something.

Holy fucking shit, biggest waste of $7.50 ever. The text is so fucking small I can't read it, the zombies are so small I can barely see them coming, and besides the SD issues, the controls are garbage. Half the issues are "my fault" for having to live on a small income and not being able to shell out ridiculous money for a fucking HDTV, but still...thanks for not putting up a demo so I could see these issues for myself before buying the damn game, Sony. But hey, you've got my money now. I think that's my real issue here. Yeah, I have an SDTV, my fault, whatever. But the lack of a demo which I could have used to find out that this game is virtually unplayable for me is ridiculous.

Unless an HDTV drops out of the goddamn sky and into my living room, I'm never playing this game again.

DAMN RIGHT I MAD

Seraphis Cain said:
You must have a far bigger SD set than I do or something.

Holy fucking shit, biggest waste of $7.50 ever. The text is so fucking small I can't read it, the zombies are so small I can barely see them coming, and besides the SD issues, the controls are garbage. Half the issues are "my fault" for having to live on a small income and not being able to shell out ridiculous money for a fucking HDTV, but still...thanks for not putting up a demo so I could see these issues for myself before buying the damn game, Sony. But hey, you've got my money now. I think that's my real issue here. Yeah, I have an SDTV, my fault, whatever. But the lack of a demo which I could have used to find out that this game is virtually unplayable for me is ridiculous.

Unless an HDTV drops out of the goddamn sky and into my living room, I'm never playing this game again.

DAMN RIGHT I MAD

That was an awesome post, dude. :)

hug_7.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
NEOPARADIGM said:
That was an awesome post, dude. :)

fuckingcuteassbear.jpg

You lie! I'm a terrible poster.

=/

And to clarify again, now that I'm a bit less salty, it's not so much the SD issues that I'm pissed about. It's the lack of a demo which I could have used to judge whether or not I should have purchased this.

And really, would a simple zoom option have been that hard to implement? I understand the ramifications it would have on the gameplay, but it would have been a huge help. Platinum did it with Vanquish (for the text, at least), Pelfast did it with Comet Crash, and I'm sure there's other games out there that have done it too. Even a simple 10-12% zoom option would have done wonders.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and it would have been a terrible thing to include. Whatevs.

Thrakier

I think the weapon sound effects lack the oomph. Especially the machinegun and the shotgun. The soundeffect doesn't transfer any power.

How is the voice chat?

I'm always a little wary because Borderlands alledgely has voice chat but it never worked for me.

I've got NAT Type 3 which could be part of the problem.

Never had VC issues with Resistance 2, Haze, LBP, etc.

Just Boderlands, maybe Gamespy are at fault with that one.

Anyway, how is voice chat with Dead Nation?

Been waiting to buy it for a long time for online co-op.

Raist

Banned
Nick Laslett said:
How is the voice chat?

I'm always a little wary because Borderlands alledgely has voice chat but it never worked for me.

I've got NAT Type 3 which could be part of the problem.

Never had VC issues with Resistance 2, Haze, LBP, etc.

Just Boderlands, maybe Gamespy are at fault with that one.

Anyway, how is voice chat with Dead Nation?

Been waiting to buy it for a long time for online co-op.

A type 3 NAT is most likely to fuck up voice chat, so you should fix that.
Haven't tried voice chat myself yet, kinda gave up on the game (after 142 hours of play, heh).

I bought this game originally when it came out and a few of the people I use to play it with no longer play. I started an online campaign in Grim and got up to the graveyard. If anyone wants to play and wants to continue going through the campaign difficulties, please add me. My PSN ID is Libra-Man

I'm always on, so invite me.

P.S. I didn't know if there is/was an online thread for dead nation friend requests

sambo

Neo Member
Powered on my PS3 on for the first time since GOW3 came out.
Bought this, seems like it should satisfy my co-op console cravings - I couldn't really get into Lara Croft.

Still wish a next-gen sequal to Hunter: The Reckoning would be released..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I purchased this game since I'll be getting two other games in PSN for free.

One question - why does my copy have no sound?

For somebody who's only ever played one dual-stick shooter (Geometry Wars way back in the day), is this a decent enough game? It's available for free on PSN, so...

disappeared said:
For somebody who's only ever played one dual-stick shooter (Geometry Wars way back in the day), is this a decent enough game? It's available for free on PSN, so...

Super Stardust by the same folks and also free seems to be the 8way shooter to get if you are choosing only one of those.

forgeforsaken said:
Super Stardust by the same folks and also free seems to be the 8way shooter to get if you are choosing only one of those.

I watched a video for it and the overall aesthetic doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

disappeared said:
Dead Nation is a good game, but not really much like Geometry Wars/Smash TV/Robotron: 2084. Not infinite ammo except on the default gun, so you have to manage more and tend to creep up into new situations. This, and intermittent down times, mean a much slower pace overall (though on low difficulty you can run). Weapon upgrades are purchased between levels, and there's no way to max out every weapon in a single run, so different approaches can be tried. Great graphics, great mood, fun shooting--but in my opinion missing that extra little "oomph" to make it truly special. For FREE it gets a lot more attractive, though!

Super Stardust is a better game of the Geo Wars type, but once you get good the vanilla game is like a long, slowly-building takeoff on Asteroids. The Solo DLC's "Endless" mode, however, is extreme twitch heaven like the games mentioned at the top.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Only one more trophy to get before I get my platinum.

Question:

Why the fuck is voice chat disabled in the options? Shouldn't it be enabled for everyone by default? What a terrible decision. For real.

ElyrionX

Liabe Brave said:
Dead Nation is a good game, but not really much like Geometry Wars/Smash TV/Robotron: 2084. Not infinite ammo except on the default gun, so you have to manage more and tend to creep up into new situations. This, and intermittent down times, mean a much slower pace overall (though on low difficulty you can run). Weapon upgrades are purchased between levels, and there's no way to max out every weapon in a single run, so different approaches can be tried. Great graphics, great mood, fun shooting--but in my opinion missing that extra little "oomph" to make it truly special. For FREE it gets a lot more attractive, though!

Super Stardust is a better game of the Geo Wars type, but once you get good the vanilla game is like a long, slowly-building takeoff on Asteroids. The Solo DLC's "Endless" mode, however, is extreme twitch heaven like the games mentioned at the top.

Do weapon upgrades carry over from run to run?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ElyrionX said:
Do weapon upgrades carry over from run to run?
If you're playing the campaign, they will. Same goes with co-op campaign. Once you're done with the campaign and you start a new one, you'll start from scratch. If you're using mission select they won't carry over and instead you'll have some weapons fairly upgraded with a certain amount of cash to spend depending on the level you select. The only thing that carries over 100% guaranteed whether it's in mission select/campaign is your armor upgrades.

Teknoman

Liabe Brave said:

I like it, but the camera takes a little getting used to.

Curufinwe

disappeared said:

I found Geometry Wars too hard and having to start from the beginning too frustrating. Dead Nation is much more forgiving and is more about shooting enemies than avoiding them. I beat the first three levels on Normal this afternoon without dying once so I haven't had to use any of the well-placed checkpoints yet, but Normal is only the second hardest of the five difficulty levels.

Dead Nation is great.

Started playing this (local co-op) just now and played couple of missions. It didn't really awe me on the first go but it was still sort of addictive. Hopefully it gets bit better later.

Finally beat the game on grim last night on online co-op, it took us 4 hours to do the last checkpoint on the last level, I'm surprised we did it, it was frigging HARD

Not sure I'll be able to do morbid

Kind of wished I'd downloaded the demo for this before I got it as one of my free games, but I thought I'd played the demo and enjoyed it, unfortunately I guess I confused it with a different zombie PSN game, as I can't see a fucking thing when I'm playing.

Angst

rainking187 said:
Kind of wished I'd downloaded the demo for this before I got it as one of my free games, but I thought I'd played the demo and enjoyed it, unfortunately I guess I confused it with a different zombie PSN game, as I can't see a fucking thing when I'm playing.
Check the settings on your tv? It's a dark game and you have to use the flashlight to be able to see your enemies, but it's not that dark. There's a screen calibration tool in the settings I think.

edbrat

Got this for my welcome back present, really loving it so far. Only on my first playthrough but already wondering about my weapon upgrade choices, have invested heavily in rifle / shotgun / smg and have so far ignored
flame thrower and spinning blade gun thing
- should I be amping those up for the later stages? Just got to the
skyscraper
bit.

Only frustration is a couple of times I have gone somewhere where I haven't been able to backtrack and I've wanted to in order to explore / kill more zombies. Next playthrough I guess.

Enjoying the score attack type vibe and weapons upgrades, like the controls too even though I can be pretty cack handed at twin stick shooters. My only issue was reload being R3, my clumsy arse kept reloading whenever I semi-panicked so I moved it to L1, throw projectile to R2 and melee / action to R3. This was fine once I remembered to stop chucking grenades at cars whenever I wanted to open the damn boot :)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
UnblessedSoul said:
Finally beat the game on grim last night on online co-op, it took us 4 hours to do the last checkpoint on the last level, I'm surprised we did it, it was frigging HARD

Not sure I'll be able to do morbid
:lol

Co-op makes the game WAAAAAY more difficult compared to if you play alone. Zombies react more aggressively and you get swarmed a lot more. I also beat it on Grim with another friend last week, and it was tough! NUMBER ONE HATED ENEMY:
The Cutter
. OMG, I hate that enemy so much. I don't even want to imagine morbid or undead in co-op. It must be insane. The final area though...god, I love it. It's such an adrenaline rush to survive that...and the music that plays sounds so fucking epic and gets you pumped up! Love it.

I found Morbid to be extremely easy by yourself. Trust me when I tell you this, but it'll be a breeze compared to your Grim co-op playthrough. There's only a few tricky areas where you'll probably die (I'm sure you already know which ones ;D), but take your time and you will tackle it and kick major ass.

edbrat said:
Got this for my welcome back present, really loving it so far. Only on my first playthrough but already wondering about my weapon upgrade choices, have invested heavily in rifle / shotgun / smg and have so far ignored
flame thrower and spinning blade gun thing
- should I be amping those up for the later stages? Just got to the
skyscraper
bit.
I always upgrade the rifle to 100% first. Its charged shot is so deadly and can take out hordes of zombies with headshots if you align your shot correctly. The SMG comes in very handy when a swarm of enemies are running towards you and the shotgun is helpful in taking out stronger enemies so your investments so far are excellent. The
Flamethrower
is pretty worthless IMO. It slows them down, but it's a waste of money to upgrade it. The
blade cannon
is OK too, but I'd suggest to save your money. If you haven't upgraded the flares or grenades yet to 100%, do that. Same with the mines. They're way more helpful than those two weapons and will save you from death so many times. I cannot stress that enough! They're life savers. Besides, saving up your money will be worth it when you unlock the other weapons which will be helpful in the final chapters. ;)

- - - -

I tried playing online with a friend tonight and we kept getting too many disconnections. Our connection bars were 2, so it's not like our connection was awful or anything. We had voice chat on and every time I joined my friend's game, I'd get disconnected the moment the level started. We tried doing it without having voice chat on and it worked without any disconnects. Why's that? In the one instance where voice chat DID work while we were playing, it was usually very laggy compared to a voice chat-less game. :(

I also got my platinum. The King of Looters was such a draaaaggg as well as the Genocidiary trophy, but god. I'm so happy I platinumed it. FINALLY!

edbrat

thanks Rewrite, much appreciated.

might ignore E3 to play some more tonight, have been spared going this year so should just take a proper break from it while I have the chance :)

Angst said:
Check the settings on your tv? It's a dark game and you have to use the flashlight to be able to see your enemies, but it's not that dark. There's a screen calibration tool in the settings I think.
I had crank up brightness all the way up and gamma up by couple of steps to see anything, I mean it was almost impossible to see anything without (including the route you were supposed to go forward so pretty much everything except the flashlight).

Angst

PetriP-TNT said:
I had crank up brightness all the way up and gamma up by couple of steps to see anything, I mean it was almost impossible to see anything without (including the route you were supposed to go forward so pretty much everything except the flashlight).
Do you have HDMI set to full range in the XMB settings?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PetriP-TNT said:
I'd say that's an issue with your TVs ability to render dark content. On my Kuro, the default settings produce a perfect image. You can see all detail in the dark areas, though it is indeed rather dark. A lot of flat panels are unlikely to be able to handle the amount of shadow detail this game requires and, as a result, you have to crank the gamma up.

It's also possible that some people enabled the HDMI Full option, which will crush your blacks on a TV that doesn't support it.

Chaplain

DigitalDevil said:
I'm really excited to play through this game with my wife on local this weekend. We love co-op games, and this one looks awesome!

My wife and I beat this last year. DN was some of the most fun we have had playing co-op together on any game so far.

slider

Wow, can't believe folk play this on anything except easy! I finished it on the easiest level and I thought it was a tough ride (well, just the final). Can't imagine it being any more brutal.

My only criticism of this game is forcing local two player to remain within that small distance of each other. I think it's the same online too.

Spaulding

slider said:
Wow, can't believe folk play this on anything except easy! I finished it on the easiest level and I thought it was a tough ride (well, just the final). Can't imagine it being any more brutal.

My only criticism of this game is forcing local two player to remain within that small distance of each other. I think it's the same online too.

That game is so much fun on grim. At least in co-op :)
Easy was just a breeze and not really a challenge.

Pro-Tip: if you play co-op make sure that one player stays near the shop. That way the other player can place his mines, return to the shop and buy new ones. Makes the later levels a lot easier :)

Anyone up for a morbid campaign run?

LosDaddie

Banned
Game Analyst said:
My wife and I beat this last year. DN was some of the most fun we have had playing co-op together on any game so far.

That pretty much seals it for me. I got LBP for my first PSN free game, and the 2nd game was between DN and WipeOut.

Def getting this game tonight.

Got Dead Nation as part of the Welcome Back package, downloaded, installed, downloaded and installed the update and every time I try to start up the game I just sit there looking at a loading screen forever. It never starts. The fuck's going on? It's not frozen, the Dead Nation logo in the corner keeps fading or whatever to indicate loading.

Shai-Tan

Banned
had quite a bit of fun playing this local co-op. I see why they limited the game to two player and it made the game better but I've had to pass over it a few times when people were over which sucked because I get bored of playing sports games

TheBear

ToyMachine228 said:
Got Dead Nation as part of the Welcome Back package, downloaded, installed, downloaded and installed the update and every time I try to start up the game I just sit there looking at a loading screen forever. It never starts. The fuck's going on? It's not frozen, the Dead Nation logo in the corner keeps fading or whatever to indicate loading.

How long did you wait? I remember waiting quite a while for my game to start initially. No loading times in-game though.

Is this game known for having connection issues? I got it off the Welcome Back program as well and for half an hour me and a friend tried to connect to each others game, with no luck. It just times out. One time, miraculously, we connected, but couldnt replicate whatever the fuck we did when we wanted to restart at a lower difficulty. We just tried again today to ano avail as well. Its incredibly frustrating as me and my friend got it specifically to play co op together.

Any tips?

Top Bottom