• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Nation |OT| This Is Thriller, Thriller Night

dark10x said:
I'd say that's an issue with your TVs ability to render dark content. On my Kuro, the default settings produce a perfect image. You can see all detail in the dark areas, though it is indeed rather dark. A lot of flat panels are unlikely to be able to handle the amount of shadow detail this game requires and, as a result, you have to crank the gamma up.

It's also possible that some people enabled the HDMI Full option, which will crush your blacks on a TV that doesn't support it.
Yeah, my TV isn't very good at displaying black, but like I said bringing up the gamma/brightness fixed it.

Anyhoo, played couple more missions with my bro, it's okay but not superb in my opinion. Gameplay does have lots of old school charm but smashing R1 to shoot the main rifle gets pretty boresome at places. I would have put the SMG as the starting weapon (with infinite ammo and less power) and rifle as the first secondary. Mostly you are doing fine until group of billion attacks from every direction and you are in trouble for couple of seconds. But in true old school fashion it's super

I gotta say that I am 100% that after the first playthrough the game will get lots of better as I don't have to search every corner for loot anymore which shortens the missions by minutes and the big fights come closer to eachother. I was thinking if we should just skip loot completely and run through the stages anyway.

I think this game sort of sucks.

It's so dark you can't see where you're getting attacked, the check points are very far between, ammo drops seem very rare, the controls are awful when it comes to switching weapons/grenades and the way the waves of enemies roll out is annoying as hell. Make it a gradual increase in enemies, not "Boom, you're magically surrounded". It's also a pain in the ass to see these things that can help you in the environment, but you couldn't use them because there's always a wall of zombies in front of them.

I'm not exactly sure how the point system works either. The red things are multipliers, but only temporary? Then what's that large multiplier on the top of the screen?

It's a shame too since I had high hopes for this game. SSHD was amazing and I still play it from time to time.

Siaynoqq

This game is actually sort of awesome. Can't believe how wrong a lot of review sites got it.

It's so dark you can't see where you're getting attacked, the check points are very far between, ammo drops seem very rare, the controls are awful when it comes to switching weapons/grenades and the way the waves of enemies roll out is annoying as hell. Make it a gradual increase in enemies, not "Boom, you're magically surrounded". It's also a pain in the ass to see these things that can help you in the environment, but you couldn't use them because there's always a wall of zombies in front of them.

It sounds like your tv kind of sucks and you kind of suck at playing the game.

Siaynoqq

Brazil said:
Hahaha.

Some people don't like the things you like, buddy.

What is the point of posts like these? I mean... obviously this is true. My comment is not in any way inconsistent with this point.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Tkawsome said:
I think this game sort of sucks.

I'm not exactly sure how the point system works either. The red things are multipliers, but only temporary? Then what's that large multiplier on the top of the screen?

It's a shame too since I had high hopes for this game. SSHD was amazing and I still play it from time to time.

Yeah, sounds like your TV. Did you do the brightness test that comes up when you first boot up the game? The trick is to set your brightness just a couple notches above what the game recommends.

As for the multiplier system, the red things you get increase the big multiplier at the top of the screen.

dwebo

It'll probably be a few days before I get a chance to play co-op on this, which I'm assuming is the way it's meant to be played, but I'm kinda disappointed with what I've played so far as well.

But hey, can't complain too much as I got it for free.

Tkawsome said:
It's so dark you can't see where you're getting attacked, the check points are very far between, ammo drops seem very rare, the controls are awful when it comes to switching weapons/grenades and the way the waves of enemies roll out is annoying as hell. Make it a gradual increase in enemies, not "Boom, you're magically surrounded".

lol ... Dude, all respect, but those are some some whiny-ass, "I suck at this game" complaints if I've ever seen them.

And I never say shit like that to people.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Siaynoqq said:
What is the point of posts like these? I mean... obviously this is true. My comment is not in any way inconsistent with this point.
They didn't "get it wrong". The criticisms are valid. You just don't care about them.

Now, explain the point of a post like this one:

Siaynoqq said:

NEOPARADIGM said:
lol ... Dude, all respect, but those are some some whiny-ass, "I suck at this game" complaints if I've ever seen them.

And I never say shit like that to people.

Siaynoqq said:

Guess I should have expected this from an official thread.

Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah, sounds like your TV. Did you do the brightness test that comes up when you first boot up the game? The trick is to set your brightness just a couple notches above what the game recommends.
maybe the game should recommend the right settings then.

i had no problems with the controls but the dark thing gets real annoying, it's a cheap way to increase the difficulty. i ended up spinning in circles when walking and it's just looks dumb. pretty fun game outside of that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rewrite said:
If you're playing the campaign, they will. Same goes with co-op campaign. Once you're done with the campaign and you start a new one, you'll start from scratch. If you're using mission select they won't carry over and instead you'll have some weapons fairly upgraded with a certain amount of cash to spend depending on the level you select. The only thing that carries over 100% guaranteed whether it's in mission select/campaign is your armor upgrades.
Just beat the game and am really disappointed to find there's no New Game+ option. Why can't I just plow through the game with fully upgraded weapons if I want to? The lack of this option really kills my desire to replay the game and/or go for some of those trophies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dan said:
Just beat the game and am really disappointed to find there's no New Game+ option. Why can't I just plow through the game with fully upgraded weapons if I want to? The lack of this option really kills my desire to replay the game and/or go for some of those trophies.

One word: Leaderboards.

I'm not particularly happy about it either.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone up for a Co-Op run ? Add me: adam_prime

Fun game. I hope I don't get burnt out on it, as I want to Platinum it. Collecting all the loot is freaking lame... but I guess I've done as tedious things to get Platinum trophies as that.

Decado

Any new news on DLC or a sequel? I could swear DLC was rumoured if not announced, but after so long I wonder if it is canceled... ;_;

rc213

Adam Prime said:
Anyone up for a Co-Op run ? Add me: adam_prime

Fun game. I hope I don't get burnt out on it, as I want to Platinum it. Collecting all the loot is freaking lame... but I guess I've done as tedious things to get Platinum trophies as that.

I think I already have you on my PSN list, What times do you usually play? I'm PST

dwebo

Probably a stupid question, but why is Japan still accumulating kills at the top of the world leaderboard? I thought PSN was still down over there.

corkscrewblow said:
Does collecting all the loot mean looting every single car?
Yep, it's annoying.

cackhyena

Bamboozle said:
I got Infamous as one of my "Welcome Back" games. Between this and Little Big Planet.. which would be a better take?
If you already have a EU account as well, just get them both. :) An EU account, pre debacle, I mean.

Agent X

dwebo said:
Probably a stupid question, but why is Japan still accumulating kills at the top of the world leaderboard? I thought PSN was still down over there.

I don't know for sure, but isn't it just the PlayStation Store that is still down for Japan? If so, then it is possible that the PlayStation Network is available for playing games, meaning that people who already have the game could play it.

Rattles

Beat this on Morbid last night, God damn that last stage is a bitch can't imagine what it would of been like had the difficulty not been toned down.

Also I still need to go though on co-op but one's iv tried have lagged then booted us. Is this game only playable if your from the same country?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Rattles said:
Beat this on Morbid last night, God damn that last stage is a bitch can't imagine what it would of been like had the difficulty not been toned down.

Also I still need to go though on co-op but one's iv tried have lagged then booted us. Is this game only playable if your from the same country?
I played it with a friend from the US, had no problems. I played it with a friend from Canada and I had so many connection issues. We tried playing with voice chat, but it would disconnect the minute the game started. We had to resort to playing without voice chat for it to work, and even then, it only worked for about three missions before it decided to mess up.

I still can't believe voice chat is turned off to everyone by default. It's so stupid.

Dan said:
The reason is because of leaderboards, unfortunately.

Raist

Banned
Dan said:

It's a hardcore scoring game. Starting all over again with all weapons maxed out would completely defeat the point, dude.

Satchel

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but I just needed to say I loooooooove this game.

So addictive. Been playing the fuck out of it lately.

ShogunX

Satchel said:
Sorry for the bump, but I just needed to say I loooooooove this game.

So addictive. Been playing the fuck out of it lately.

I got the game free from the Welcome Back promo and to be honest it's the very opposite of addicting. Seems extremely repetitive and gets tedious after a short time playing. Maybe it gets better in the later levels of the game or something but I was left very underwhelmed by the first hour or two of playing.

Satchel

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
I got the game free from the Welcome Back promo and to be honest it's the very opposite of addicting. Seems extremely repetitive and gets tedious after a short time playing. Maybe it gets better in the later levels of the game or something but I was left very underwhelmed by the first hour or two of playing.
I got it as part of welcome back too.

I can see how one would find it repetitive, but in the end, every video game ever made is technically repetitive to a degree.

But hey it was free and i got wipe out as well. I had the other three games already

T-0800

I think DN has been the victim of misplaced expectations. Coming from the team that made SSDHD I think many people expected SSDHD with zombies. DN is best played like a survial horror game with high score elements.

Graphically underrated game as well.

TheBear

This game is incredible. It's probably my GOTY thus far. The only dissappointment is that you can't keep your weapons and armor for new campaigns, which fucking blows because the weapons suck balls for the first 1/3 of the game. Any mention of DLC, or a sequel? Or is there any similar games out there?

Agent X

bigjimmystyle said:
This game is incredible. It's probably my GOTY thus far. The only dissappointment is that you can't keep your weapons and armor for new campaigns, which fucking blows because the weapons suck balls for the first 1/3 of the game. Any mention of DLC, or a sequel? Or is there any similar games out there?

It apparently allows you to carry armor parts over to the multiplayer mode (but not weapons). I tried an online cooperative game with a friend a few days ago, started from the first mission, and my character had the armor that I previously accumulated in single-player mode.

gioGAF

I was hoping to get an answer to the following:

Can you map the controls so that the D-Pad controls movement and Square, Triangle, Circle and X control the direction in which you shoot?

I was thinking of getting this, but I can't stand using the analog sticks :-(

Number45

gioGAF said:

Can you map the controls so that the D-Pad controls movement and Square, Triangle, Circle and X control the direction in which you shoot?

I'm 99% sure there's no option for that, I can't confirm right now but if I get the chance (and nobody's posted a certain answer) I'll check tomorrow. Right now I'm fairly sure the button configuration is pretty much set in stone aside from a couple of options.

I've been playing this again with a friend since he picked it up as a part of the welcome back package (beat the game on normal back at release) - it really is fantastic, massively underrated in my opinion. That said, I still don't understand why we can't save at check points and maintain our multiplier (not that I've managed to work out how to save at check points at all yet...) - all that needs to be done is to make it a one time save, so that when you continue it gets deleted (same as I think has just been implemented in PJS2).

I'm also playing through again on Grim when he's not online, I can't imagine how hard finishing the game on Morbid is.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Number45 said:
I'm also playing through again on Grim when he's not online, I can't imagine how hard finishing the game on Morbid is.
Grim and Morbid by yourself is so easy. Morbid co-op on the other hand...damn. It was really tough and Morbid is even crazier. I guess tackling Grim online with a friend prepared me for my Morbid playthrough solo, which was incredibly easy to me. There was only like two sections that I had trouble with, but in -no- way was it as hard as co-op.

Number45

Yeah, I should say actually I'm not having that much trouble at the moment on Grim - but I'm only starting Grieving Towers now so obviously have a long way to go. I'm playing through co-op on Normal - which is a good job as my partner is dying a fair bit (usually right after a check point) and I'm having to play through the sections by myself. :p

As for the control question, the only option you have for aiming is to switch the left and right sticks over. :(

Curufinwe

gioGAF said:

They are called twin-stick shooters for a reason.

johntown

Banned
Rewrite said:
Grim and Morbid by yourself is so easy. Morbid co-op on the other hand...damn. It was really tough and Morbid is even crazier. I guess tackling Grim online with a friend prepared me for my Morbid playthrough solo, which was incredibly easy to me. There was only like two sections that I had trouble with, but in -no- way was it as hard as co-op.
Why is co-op harder than solo?

johntown

Banned
Angst said:
AFAIK I know: 100 % more survivors (2), but 200 % more zombies. Or something like that.
I figured something like that. I have been playing through co-op and it really has not been too bad until maybe more than halfway through the game. There have been some hard parts that maybe take a couple of tries to get through.

Not sure how the other difficulties would be but I know there are some parts of co-op me and me partner just barely make it through......on normal.

Number45

I don't know if this is achieved intentionally be the design of the game, or just because I'm not on my guard, but I'm finding more often that not I lose the majority of life right after a check point and after that manage to make it to the next check point with barely a scratch.

I've followed 3 guides and played the first level 5 times and I still keep getting 97%. I don't have full loot on any of the levels, there always something missing. :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What screws most people over when going for the loot trophies is that not only do all cars need to be searched, but you also need the vending machines!

As both these can be accidentally destroyed by stray fire you really need to be aware of their presence and try and fight in safe areas. Harbor Docks is probably the hardest area to 100% because there are a couple of areas where you have both cars and vending machines and a lot of zombies to deal with.

That said, if you focus on getting all the armour pieces as priority, playing on Braindead is pretty close to god mode and you can loot in almost complete safety.

Number45

Clear said:
What screws most people over when going for the loot trophies is that not only do all cars need to be searched, but you also need the vending machines!
Shit, really? That'll explain it for me, I've been making a point of going for them, but of course if the zombies get there before you you're screwed. :(

LQX

Finally finished this game in co-op. First, I love that the screen was not split and though small it was easy to make out you and your partner. Great fun but even on the lower settings it had way to many fucking Zombies. And the default gun really should have been a automatic considering the waves you went up against. Its like the game was designed to kill your triggers. Speaking of guns, I wish they were better. Some were great like the launcher but many were bland and worthless.

Also the world wide stat screen is great. While playing I actually witnessed Mexico passing the the US. What the fuck? How is Mexico killing more Zombies than us? Overall great game and I hope it gets a sequel. Thanks for the freebie Sony.

Top Bottom