• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Femto.

Thanks again for the replies.

DoA is 3 buttons. The fourth button is just a macro for p+h.

Played a bunch of this with a friend last night, actually. Really missed DoA. Where's 6, dammit. Hopefully with good netcode.

Seriously, I'm concerned that we might not get it until 2018 at the earliest given how dead silent Koei Tecmo has been about this franchise. At least the games will (hopefully) utilize Pro/Scorpio hardware by the time they do come out. Last gen they were able to pump out 4 and 5. I was hoping we'd get 6 next so we could get 7 within the first couple of years of the 9th gen.

shaowebb

So glad PC dlc for DOA5 went on sale. Finally got the Tatsunoko pack to enjoy more scenes of Casshern, Tekkaman and my boy Polymar fighting.

Thanks again for the replies.

Seriously, I'm concerned that we might not get it until 2018 at the earliest given how dead silent Koei Tecmo has been about this franchise. At least the games will (hopefully) utilize Pro/Scorpio hardware by the time they do come out. Last gen they were able to pump out 4 and 5. I was hoping we'd get 6 next so we could get 7 within the first couple of years of the 9th gen.

They literally said big news is planned at NEC 2017 two weeks ago, so yeah, expect a DOA6 announcement around then, and release in 2018. I was betting Fall 2018.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
They literally said big news is planned at NEC 2017 two weeks ago, so yeah, expect a DOA6 announcement around then, and release in 2018. I was betting Fall 2018.

Would be very surprising if they announced a new Dead Or Alive at an American fighting game tournament. Especially a smaller one (compared to say, Evo) like NEC. I wouldn't expect that to happen...

...But man, I'd love to be wrong. :)

Eolz

Would be very surprising if they announced a new Dead Or Alive at an American fighting game tournament. Especially a smaller one (compared to say, Evo) like NEC. I wouldn't expect that to happen...

...But man, I'd love to be wrong. :)

Yeah, my guess is announced at TGS, and playable build at NEC.

I guess yeah, it would be announced before then, and the "you don't want to miss NEC next year" thing is perhaps it being playable there, or something. Can't think what else they would think good enough to tease like that.

Eolz

Team Ninja usually makes Dead or Alive related announcements at their own DOA Festival.

True. I guess they could use that time to just tease it, even if I'd love them to show something there...
Hopefully DOA will keep all the good parts of 5 and improve on it rather than just making a 5.5.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Out of curiosity, how would one even go about buying all the DLC on PS4 at this point in time, if they wanted to? Can they?

Eolz

Roll call for gaf lobby this weekend.

As in the 7/8? Will try to, might not though, coming back in the UK on saturday.

Out of curiosity, how would one even go about buying all the DLC on PS4 at this point in time, if they wanted to? Can they?

Sure. Best deal is to get the packs for the content that wasn't included in last round (big bundle usually on sale), then each season pass.
That's a lot, but absolutely possible.

Random thought from playing SF5 and reading GAF lately, but DOA needs to take the route of DLC characters being free to all players and only making its money off of costumes. Either that or actually take the SF5 idea of being able to unlock DLC characters in-game as well as making them puchasable with real money.

Hubb

DoA definitely has the foundation for a F2P game where all characters are unlocked for free. The question is, is the DoA fanbase big enough for them to drop the $60 buy in.

I do like SFV, but I hate f2p garbage in a full price retail game. SFV is only fun if I am interested in playing against people online, which is 75% of what I am interested in doing. The survival game mode is fucking hot trash and I am sure they made it extra stupid at the higher difficulties to stop people from getting the extra fight money. Story mode was nice for what is was, but I'm not going to play it again.

Whatever DoA6 winds up being, I hope it is good. Even going the same payment model as DoA5 would be fine. Just don't be worse than DoA5.

SF5 is poor as far as features go, not disagreeing with that. But if DOA6's f2p game just does exactly what it does now, except makes characters free to those with the full game and purchasable like all other characters in the f2p game, I think that's the way to go.

I just think characters are too important to require people to buy them. Surely they are making enough off the costumes to warrant making DLC characters free, and of course those with the f2p version have that option to buy whichever characters anyway.

Kumubou

DoA definitely has the foundation for a F2P game where all characters are unlocked for free. The question is, is the DoA fanbase big enough for them to drop the $60 buy in.

I do like SFV, but I hate f2p garbage in a full price retail game. SFV is only fun if I am interested in playing against people online, which is 75% of what I am interested in doing. The survival game mode is fucking hot trash and I am sure they made it extra stupid at the higher difficulties to stop people from getting the extra fight money. Story mode was nice for what is was, but I'm not going to play it again.

Whatever DoA6 winds up being, I hope it is good. Even going the same payment model as DoA5 would be fine. Just don't be worse than DoA5.
I don't think it matters. To my knowledge, F2P loot crate/gatcha mechanics end up making much higher revenue than a la carte DLC models, and that's applicable regardless of how many active players you have or how much buy-in you already get. It also has secondary factors, such as driving higher engagement. Properly tuned, a model where you had a chance to unlock outfits through draws and got those opportunities either at certain milestones or by paying (basically, what Overwatch does) could generate a ton of revenue. (They would also need to overhaul their online functionality so that it didn't end up becoming a roadblock to higher engagement, but that's a whole another matter.)

The question you should (and may) be asking is if it would be worth it for Koei-Tecmo to drop the retail version entirely and go to a full F2P model... and that is something that I'm not really sure of, to be honest. It would ultimately come down to how much engagement they would lose -- would the players most likely to buy into loot crates also be the one that would buy the game at retail?

Squire

Banned
I'm not too worried about them sticking with a base retail game and an F2P option for DOA6. I actually wouldn't mind a gatcha system myself, but I think they'd be nervous about doing something like that and potentially pissing off loyalists. Especially when something like DOA is going to have a much lower ceiling on its potential audience than, say, Overwatch.

They have whales as it is. Why rock the boat?

Hubb

The question you should (and may) be asking is if it would be worth it for Koei-Tecmo to drop the retail version entirely and go to a full F2P model... and that is something that I'm not really sure of, to be honest. It would ultimately come down to how much engagement they would lose -- would the players most likely to buy into loot crates also be the one that would buy the game at retail?

Yes, that is what I was getting at or at least trying to get at.

To address your other point about loot boxes/gatcha. As long as they offer a way to buy exactly what you want without having to deal with loot box nonsense then I don't care. I'd be much harder on Overwatch if they didn't give you a way to earn free ones/spend gold to buy what you want. I would spend the same amount of money on overwatch loot boxes as I would on DoA6 loot boxes $0. Though I know I may be in the minority there.

ShinMaruku

Given how they develop this game I'd rather them have ala carte because they have sucess with it and are one of the few who has their sucess with it.

I also think they always want the box copy experience. I don't want DOA going as a games as service model because none of them are a true service.

It just makes me wonder... Are DOA fans happy with having to buy DLC characters? Are you happy to wait and buy into Ultimate and "Ultra" versions later on with the DLC characters built in?

I do very much like their f2p model, especially with the free character rotation, letting you try before you buy. This should remain in the f2p version.

Eolz

I liked what they did with Last Round on last gen where if you owned Ultimate, it was upgraded for free, due to the overall lack of big changes (unlike Vanilla -> Ultimate).

I don't mind buying DLC characters when it's at the rhythm they've released them. I would mind if it was an anemic roster with a new character every two months like SFV.
That said, I'd prefer if they kept the original character price, and not rising the prices everytime (made sense with Mai, not with Naotora).

I'm pretty sure they'll try to put in some ingame currency/store system though, like for alt colors of some costumes, this kind of stuff. I don't see them changing much otherwise from their currently successful system. Maybe making the whole game a bit cheaper but putting a bit less content in from the start?

ShinMaruku

The system they have now works best. I would just let them continue as they have. It keeps them pushing content and getting money as they progress the game.

Hubb

It just makes me wonder... Are DOA fans happy with having to buy DLC characters? Are you happy to wait and buy into Ultimate and "Ultra" versions later on with the DLC characters built in?

I do very much like their f2p model, especially with the free character rotation, letting you try before you buy. This should remain in the f2p version.

I'm mostly talking about buying costumes, not characters. I prefer to just have 1 version and not have to buy characters. I also understand fighting games don't have the playerbase they once had. I buy the multple versions of Arcsys games because I really enjoy them. They don't sell millions of copies of games and I doubt if they switch to one version throughout a generation they'd increase sales enough to offset not having different versions.

Yeah, I'm just talking about characters. Those are the core of the games, and to put up a barrier where you have to buy them seems a little odd to me when I think about it.

I feel like they could continue the same sort of format - full retail and f2p versions, but those with the full retail can earn the DLC characters through in-game currency if they don't want to buy them. They would still make continuous bank from the costumes that way, just as they do now.

Gah, sick of Phase getting the superior outfits over Kas.

Honoka and Marie taking over DOA. I hope they aren't front and centre for DOA6 marketing.

Eolz

That's a pretty boring/uncreative DLC pack yeah...
That said, i prefer getting themes for exclusive season pack content than recolors.

Nyotengu's wings aren't fixed and yet Team Ninja still releases DLC that includes Nyotengu?! Have they really not noticed or do they just don't care? I main Nyotengu so this is really bothersome for me >_<

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope we get a tease at E3 for DOA6.

I actually liked this promo.
latest

Hubb

Not the biggest fan of basically copying/pasting costumes but this style does speak to me. I haven't bought a costume in a long time though and not sure I am going to start now.

Those themes are really boring.

Feel pretty shitty about another season of DLC. For whatever reason I have it in my mind that they won't tease DoA6 until they stop the DLC train for DoA5. Lets make this the last season.

Eolz

This new Season Pass would stop around the next DOA Festival right?
They'll probably go for a last one after this one (so it can be announced there), and hopefully tease 6 there too.

I actually liked the "I am a Fighter" promo too. Using it on products (like the arcade stick) was unnecessary, but it was a good teaser, and it was nice when it was in front of the new models.

Eolz

Update 1.14 just released, it fixed Nyotengu's wings! Now if I could just have the patience to be good with her...

Nice! Just seen that there was a patch and hoped that it would be good for you :)
I remember Shin having some pretty good tips for Nyotengu. At least we're sure she'll be back in 6 ahah

Nice! Just seen that there was a patch and hoped that it would be good for you :)
I remember Shin having some pretty good tips for Nyotengu. At least we're sure she'll be back in 6 ahah
My problem is that there's soo many games I want to play and I don't have the patience to just sit in training mode and go at it with her. In this 3 months I have Fate Extella, Gravity Rush 2, Digimom World Next Order, Nioh, NieR Automata, Dragon's Quest Heroes 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and then there's April with Persona 5. This has always been my problem even when I had my Dreamcast and 11 of my 20 games where fighting games.

Right now the only fighter I play is DOA5LR so at least I can defend myself using Nyotengu (I usually just play Team Fight with Nyo, Marie Rose and Rachel) but even with tips from pros I don't think I'll get better with her for now. But even if you guys don't see me play online know that I'm doing my part to support DOA and will buy DOA6 day 1 when it gets anounced (Please have Nyotengu on the initial roster >_<).

ShinMaruku

Playing enough with the proper people even with short sets can build you up like you would never believe. Just join our gaf lobbies when we have them up

Top Bottom