• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Demoskinos

PS4 version always seems so dead online. Couldn't get any fight requests for 20 minutes so I caved in and tried rank, changed all the settings to "Any" and it never found anyone. ITs been searching for a regular lobby with all settings ay "any" and its not finding any of them either. wtf

Yeah, like the other guy said. Something might be messed up. Might be you might be the game but I've never had issues with finding ranked matches as long as I do them via Throwdowns.

LuuKyK

If you downloaded the digital retail version then it might still be downloading the rest of the game. The way a lot of PS4 games work is they will have a minimum that you need to download in this case I think its 3GB at that point you can launch the app but the game is still downloading the other 6.5 GB in the background while you wait.

God it sure is taking its time to download the rest then. I hate that there is no way to know how much is left when its downloading in the background.

God it sure is taking its time to download the rest then. I hate that there is no way to know how much is left when its downloading in the background.

Go to the icon in the start menu, press the options button and look under information. I can't remember if you can do it while the game is running or not though.

LuuKyK

Well, everyday is school day I guess. I had no idea you could check that. Thanks guys.

Edit: I checked and it says:

Size - 10,44 GB.
Download Status - Complete.

Whats wrong then? Why does the "this feature is still being installed" keeps popping up? :(

LuuKyK

That's not normal. Maybe delete your game save data and reload the game? Wouldn't want to ask you to redownload the whole app right away.

Ok, for some random reason it now works. I have no idea what happened right there. lol

Thanks for the help anyway.

Z3M0G

PS4 version always seems so dead online. Couldn't get any fight requests for 20 minutes so I caved in and tried rank, changed all the settings to "Any" and it never found anyone. ITs been searching for a regular lobby with all settings ay "any" and its not finding any of them either. wtf

Go in endless training mode and have challenges enabled. Youll get matches very quickly.

This bugged on me last night too though. I was getting matched and the other guy cancelled. After that, the game no longer searched for matches.

(Hold options to accept matches when they appear)

Alright, so I bought this over lunch today, and I haven't played a DOA game since DOA2 I think.

I'm not normally a fighting game person, so I need small refresher in basics and I can't seem to find it in this game.

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

This game uses directions as well as inputs.

So I have Low Punch, Mid Punch, High Punch
Then I have Low Kick, Mid Kick, High Kick.

I have a Grab, and a block. I can do a Low/Mid/High Block, but I'm not sure how to counter. I've done it a couple of times, but I'm more button mashing here.

Also, what do my shoulder buttons do? If anything?

Now that my exams are over I managed to play a bit more, I even played a couple of matches online (and horribly lost because I'm one of those people who always try to spam holds instead of blocking :p) and I can tell the netcode is improved (I can only connect via wireless and my connection is quite bad already, with about 2Mbit download and 0.2Mbit upload) since it used to lag A LOT on PS3 but now it worked fine other than a few hiccups. I'll just need to train more I guess.

Haven't experienced any other crashes too, which is nice, but I can tell the game is really struggling to connect to their servers whenever I finish Arcade/Survival/whatever has a score board at the end.

FHIZ

Alright, so I bought this over lunch today, and I haven't played a DOA game since DOA2 I think.

I'm not normally a fighting game person, so I need small refresher in basics and I can't seem to find it in this game.

I have a Grab, and a block. I can do a Low/Mid/High Block, but I'm not sure how to counter. I've done it a couple of times, but I'm more button mashing here.

There's just punch and kick, and the directions and combo string determine if they're high/mid/low.

Counters are usually used by pressing back plus the block button. So, Up/Back+Block counters high kicks and punches. Back+Block counters mid punches. Forward+Block counters mid kicks. Down/Back+Block counters low kicks and punches. Some characters have modified versions of these with different effects, but everyone has that basic counter system.

Shoulder buttons are shortcuts to hitting multiple buttons at the same time. L1 is P+K (strong punch). L2 is P+K+H (taunt). R2 is H+K (strong kick).

There's a really in depth tutorial that goes over pretty much damn everything in the game. Also, going into command training which characters gives you a pretty good understanding of the basics.

Griss

Someone else managed to answer most of this, so I'll just say this: What you call a 'counter', DoA calls a 'hold'. So when you see people talking about holds, that's what they mean.

Back + block button (square by default) holds mid punches.
Forward + block button (square by default) holds mid kicks.
Back/up diagonal + block button (square by default) holds mid punches and kicks.
Back/down diagonal + block button (square by default) holds high punches kicks.

If someone tries to hit or throw you and you hit or throw them while they're in that animation, then THAT is what DoA calls a counter. If you hit on the last frame before they were about to hit you, that's a High Counter. You do more damage and stun with counter and high counter strikes and throws.

Anyone using a stick currently?

I'll probably be picking up a HRAP4 Kai next week and DOA5 will be one of the first games I use it with. I don't remember ever playing DOA with a stick before so it should be an interesting experience.

Hubb

I'll probably be picking up a HRAP4 Kai next week and DOA5 will be one of the first games I use it with. I don't remember ever playing DOA with a stick before so it should be an interesting experience.

Using a stick. Just my preference to use one over a gamepad, but I can't remember the last time I tried to use a gamepad either.

Koko players? I need help on one of her combo challenges.

It's the fourth one listed as Juggle (Difficulty 3).

Can't work out how to hit with the third part of the combo (66P+K, P+K); opponent is always knocked away from the previous move.

Edit: Done it. The 66 meant I needed to run towards opponent, rather than just double tapping and doing the move right away.

dreamfall

I'll definitely be using a stick on the PC version, but for now I'm loving the PS4 D-pad with LR.

Using a stick. Just my preference to use one over a gamepad, but I can't remember the last time I tried to use a gamepad either.

I usually play all other fighting games with a stick except for DOA for as long as I can remember. I think the only one I played with a stick was DOA2.

I'll definitely be using a stick on the PC version, but for now I'm loving the PS4 D-pad with LR.

Yeah, the D-pad works great. Though I can't finish Raidou's command training because of his two ridiculous throws.

Yeah, those throws are annoying. I usually switch to the analogue stick when doing half/full circle throws, like for him, Bass, Hayabusa, etc. Works easier than d-pad, and hurts less lol.

ShinMaruku

Small part of my Tag Guide with Ayane and Various Tag partners

-Team Make up (Position of them in the team)
-Combo Potential
-Does my Team have the right tools to attack and defend others. (For example if one character is set for close range combat I'd want the other to be tagged into either help their range game or to get them in)
-Theme of the team. It's for fun people I find when you have a theme you can play better. Half the battle is in your mindset.

Now that I have those things set down I'd like to get into how I set up my Ayane Teams and how those points fit in. I'd like some critique as well as what you guys do with your teams in a similar frame work.

My Main Ayane Teams are Ayane/Momij, Ayane/Misty and Ayane.Hitomi.

Ayane/Momiji
-Team make up: I start Ayane as point and Momiji as anchor because Ayane can play the ranged game and set up launches so Momiji can freely combo into bounds for Ayane Finishers or Momiji just finishing.
-Combo potential: Ayane is always a good starter for the combos because she can really play the stun into launch game like 4K 4PK tag into 6KKK tag 4PK KKK. Or with Momiji on point, 6P pause incase they try to mash counter and8 K Tag into Ayanes PP6 PK to send the other person flying. (Obvously this will be refined and added to)
- Tools Ayane and Momiji have good throws for throw punishment into better positioning. Ayane's 2P is a great poke that can lead into some mashed counters when read properly can lead into a counter launcher into a combo. Also BT 4K is a great ranged counter than can launch that sets up many possibilities
-Theme this is my loop team essentially where I set up launches and juggles to really harass and whittle down teams. it also helps with me learning some solo tactics with these characters by allowing me to try some combo set ups. Their advanced holds and general holds and throws also give them great positioning as well. They also can cut their long combos shorter to put in more burst damage as well.
-Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTNIktI6-E

Ayane/Hitomi
-Team Makes up: It's always anchor Hitomi because she is great and knock backs and can be tagged in for knock backs making her an excellent tag combo finisher. She can also set me up to put people on the wall for her and Ayane to go to town. I think this team has the most damage potential
-Combo potiental: This is a launch then knock back team with things like BT PP4PP7K tag into PP6P into a wall or danger zone Or 7KK tag 6 P+K into a wall. Hitomis 8PPP can be tagged into Ayane's 7P+K into PPKKK to knock back.
-Tools Ayane who can play mid range quite well benefits from Hitomi's great knock backs.Hitomi has a fine launcher :9::p::K: which can be tagged out of or into which she can end with:p::p::p: or Ayane can end with :p::p::K::K::K: or :p::p::4::p::p::K: to send them flying.
-Theme They are my burst tag team where you do damage in great chunks and sending people flying so you can start up your offense from a far. They are also less constrained by weight class since I try to keep combos short do maximize damage and set good positioning.They also have some good throws and counters you can work with. Throws that keep people standing can allow you to launch them.They also have the sassy attitude and general fun costumes that make them a fun duo.
-Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGcj2oWxcA

Ayane/Phase 4 my new tag team along with Ayane/Momiji and Ayane/Hitomi
-Team make up: Ayane on point Phase 4 on anchor. Position really does not matter since both have the launcher tools to get the party started.
-Team Theme: Dark Kunoichi sisters. They both have the odd assortment of dark and sometimes inexplicably bright outfits that are at odds with their demeanor .Juggles,juggles and throw punishment into juggles and great combo finishers with Phase 4's teleport throws in the air, as well as great wall finishers. If you can fish for somebody to throw out a hold you can use their high damage counter throws to either launch or put somebody into a wall. Also their tag throw can be finished with a stomp attack after the throw. You can get 15+ hot combos for 60% of life or something somewhat shorter for the same amount of damage from Phase 4's finishes.
-Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKMqPmHNVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0M5VlYeqWE

If ya want pointers on tag I can help you out. I use tag to master characters faster as well.

Go in endless training mode and have challenges enabled. Youll get matches very quickly.

This bugged on me last night too though. I was getting matched and the other guy cancelled. After that, the game no longer searched for matches.

(Hold options to accept matches when they appear)

Thats what I normally do, they weren't working this afternoon. I was hoping to spend a lot of time with this game in multiplayer but I don't think that'll happen. I don't like lobbies, watching other randoms fight is boring\waste of time, rank search is broken as fuck and team ninja never fixes anything.

Kolgar

Does the retail disc version for Xbone run better than the Core Fighters download trial?

I was surprised to see so much stuttering during fights in the digital trial, and if the game's actual code runs that poorly, I need to exchange my unopened box copy for a PS4 version.

Any idea which platform has the larger player base? Thanks in advance.

Timu

...Fuck the improved a.i. on the Virtua Fighter characters on higher difficulties...I lost to Jacky as Hitomi and stared at her lose pose for almost a minute, lol.

DR2K

Banned
...Fuck the improved a.i. on the Virtua Fighter characters on higher difficulties...I lost to Jacky as Hitomi and stared at her lose pose for almost a minute, lol.

The VF characters ai have always been extra scummy.

remz

Does the retail disc version for Xbone run better than the Core Fighters download trial?

I was surprised to see so much stuttering during fights in the digital trial, and if the game's actual code runs that poorly, I need to exchange my unopened box copy for a PS4 version.

Any idea which platform has the larger player base? Thanks in advance.

Throwdowns on in arcade mode is shitty regardless of disc or DL mode. It's a bug and i think they're working on fixing it. If throwdowns are off the game runs perfectly.

At least I think so. I have a promo disc from a tourney so I'm not sure if the retail one is any different.

Yeah, those throws are annoying. I usually switch to the analogue stick when doing half/full circle throws, like for him, Bass, Hayabusa, etc. Works easier than d-pad, and hurts less lol.

Couldn't even get them out using the sticks lol.

I'll probably give it another try before the fightstick comes in.

fernoca

Any character recommended to complete command training? Like..if there any that the movesets are easier, or the list is shorter? Just want the trophy! :p

Dubz

I just got a Leifang costume pack. How do I access it. I don't think it ever downloaded.

EDIT: Restarting worked

ShinAmano

Team Ninja can choke on a dick and die for this pos game. Seriously it is the most broken game I have played ever (and I played MCC).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Team Ninja can choke on a dick and die for this pos game. Seriously it is the most broken game I have played ever (and I played MCC).

Are you really going to say a group of people something that stupid about choking and dying over a fucking game? Grow up.

ShinAmano

Are you really going to say a group of people something that stupid about choking and dying over a fucking game? Grow up.

DO you really take things people say on the internet as being literal? Grow up.

The fact is they put out a broken game and before bothering to fix it they continue to pump out DLC...overall they are the lowest of low in my book.

Top Bottom