• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

alstein

Anybody else play fighters this way:

1. Set game to easy, smallest lifebar and a single round.
2. Burn through the game multiple times to collect endings/costumes for each fighter.
3. Then I begin to play the game properly.

Or is it just me?

That's just about every competitive player- get the crap out of the way to get to the good stuff.

Unlocks annoy competitive players in favor of casuals. I'd actually pay for a DLC code to not have to deal with unlocks.

that said, if a fighting game just had versus mode, training mode, options and online mode, and did them all well I'd be happy with it.

patapuf

I might change my approach this time though. The story mode looks kind of fun and worth a playthrough. It's the "play through arcade mode a 100 times" i find boring.

That's just about every competitive player- get the crap out of the way to get to the good stuff.

Unlocks annoy competitive players in favor of casuals. I'd actually pay for a DLC code to not have to deal with unlocks.

that said, if a fighting game just had versus mode, training mode, options and online mode, and did them all well I'd be happy with it.
I really appreciated that with VF5FS. Download complete, Wolf Hogan custom configured, commence Burning Hammerization. No muss, no fuss.

Ken

Hm, my GS is doing a midnight launch for DOA5. I don't have the energy to stay up that late so I'll just pick it up the next day like a normal person. @_@

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
No Midnight Launch here.

It's time to freeze myself!
s10e12_480.jpg

alstein

I really appreciated that with VF5FS. Download complete, Wolf Hogan custom configured, commence Burning Hammerization. No muss, no fuss.

That said, VF has never really had casual appeal- so it's easier for VF to do the right thing.

The other 3d fighters have traditionally relied heavily on casual appeal.

Thinking of getting it via download- one question, can you backup your PS3 hard drive and have the games auto-verify in case my PS3 hard drive fails in the future?

Vazra

Bumping the event just in case.

Event: DOA5 PSN GAF Tournament by:Memento Mori15
Start Date: Sept 29th (Time TBA)
Time Zone: EST
Stream URL: (TBA)
Prize: 1st place wins $10 PSN Code or $10 Amazon Gift Card
MAX 16 PLAYERS

That said, VF has never really had casual appeal- so it's easier for VF to do the right thing.

The other 3d fighters have traditionally relied heavily on casual appeal.
I think the way you suggested is the best course, tbh. Make a story mode, ghost mode, ticklemeElmo mode all with unlockables for the casuals. But give the rest of us a $2 DLC unlock option option and I'd chose that every time.

Bumping the event just in case.

Event: DOA5 PSN GAF Tournament by:Memento Mori15
Start Date: Sept 29th (Time TBA)
Time Zone: EST
Stream URL: (TBA)
Prize: 1st place wins $10 PSN Code or $10 Amazon Gift Card
MAX 16 PLAYERS
GAF360 Lonely Hearts Club continues.

patapuf

watching this trailer again: the game is completely nuts. You got flying trains, tigers, attack helicopters, super ninjas and clown canons.

It looks like a giant clusterfuck. It's glorious.

oh and
Kasumi dies!

denshuu

Anybody else play fighters this way:

1. Set game to easy, smallest lifebar and a single round.
2. Burn through the game multiple times to collect endings/costumes for each fighter.
3. Then I begin to play the game properly.

Or is it just me?

Recently I've just been skipping steps 1 and 2. With Persona and Tekken I just watched all the story related stuff on Youtube prior to the game's launch, and once it came out I just didn't bother with single player stuff outside of Practice Mode.

Loona

watching this trailer again: the game is completely nuts. You got flying trains, tigers, attack helicopters, super ninjas and clown canons.

I'm still curious about one scene in an older video where Hitomi and Lei Fang are psying on someone while wearing jungle explorer outfits including hats. Can't wait to see what's the set-up for that - it's silly, but at least it's not Zack carrying all the silliness by himself. And then there's the clown outfit(s) and Ayane's wooly hat, which make me wonder if they're a part of some story mode cutscene.

Dantis

Trailer is ace, but I was hoping for Lotus Juice. :(

So excited though! Gonna have to stop reading about it soon, to avoid spoilers. I'm actually strangely excited for the story mode.

Loona

I don't expect a great story mode, since the series has so much silly baggage in it (one of the characters is a scientist that doubles as a masked luchadora, while the guy who's a pro wrestlersomehow also doubles as an oil rig worker now too - some games don't bother to give characters jobs - or family names -, but this one sometimes gives too many jobs to the same character), but I'm curious to see what they make of that baggage since they're trying to be more serious in so many other aspects of the game (a good thing).

I expect ninjas involved with stuff exploding, some fun stuff along the way, so how they execute that might be more interesting than the actual story they'll make themselves tell, spoilers don't bother me that much.

Vazra

I don't expect a great story mode, since the series has so much silly baggage in it (one of the characters is a scientist that doubles as a masked luchadora, while the guy who's a pro wrestlersomehow also doubles as an oil rig worker now too - some games don't bother to give characters jobs - or family names -, but this one sometimes gives too many jobs to the same character), but I'm curious to see what they make of that baggage since they're trying to be more serious in so many other aspects of the game (a good thing).

I expect ninjas involved with stuff exploding, some fun stuff along the way, so how they execute that might be more interesting than the actual story they'll make themselves tell, spoilers don't bother me that much.

I expect a Lol worthy story with some cool action scenes here and there which I know they will accomplish thanks to Dimensions.

Lets remember one of those wonderful events with 1 picture.

patapuf

Yeah, Jeff implied as much in the giant bombcast. I'm pretty sure it's going to be entertaining.

i mean the second sentence in the launch trailer is christie seductively saying: " you'll need your strenght, little boy"

Dantis

I expect a Lol worthy story with some cool action scenes here and there which I know they will accomplish thanks to Dimensions.

Lets remember one of those wonderful events with 1 picture.

Yep, it's going to be dumb as all heck, but I'm sure it will be fun. I enjoyed Dimensions' story enough to blast through it in one day. Comparatively, I couldn't even bring myself to watch a single Persona Arena story in one day.

LTWheels

Yeah, Jeff implied as much in the giant bombcast. I'm pretty sure it's going to be entertaining.

Yeah. He said he couldn't talk much about it till next week, but described the story mode as 'fucking incredible' and could not wait to make a quick look of it.

Knowing Giant Bomb it either means it is really good, or it is so dumb that it is good.

Yes and no. LOL.

You got a link to the old air throw? This one catches them out of the air.

It's easier to do pick up opponents off the ground too.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Up65hgfyfwI#t=246s

they had to be pretty high for it to connect in 4

oh and
Kasumi dies!

i'm almost expecting a WWE style VKM swerve

Loona

I made myself watch all of the Dimensions story mode on Youtube and it was almost painful - no cabbage incidents (the |OT| title could have benefitted more from cabbage references than from bounciness ones, but I found that scene sadly late to propose it), at least, but between the incidents themselves and the pacing, I'm almost wishing they could toss in a time-travel element in there somewhere to get away with retconning some parts.

At this point I'm hoping story mode doesn't make you play the ninjas 70% of the time, I like to use these modes to get a decent feel for everyone.

Dantis

I made myself watch all of the Dimensions story mode on Youtube and it was almost painful - no cabbage incidents (the |OT| title could have benefitted more from cabbage references than from bounciness ones, but I found that scene sadly late to propose it), at least, but between the incidents themselves and the pacing, I'm almost wishing they could toss in a time-travel element in there somewhere to get away with retconning some parts.

At this point I'm hoping story mode doesn't make you play the ninjas 70% of the time, I like to use these modes to get a decent feel for everyone.

It's certainly no Persona Arena, in that even without the gameplay it's still interesting, but I definitely enjoyed playing through it.

Loona

Assuming the VF characters have a role in the story mode instead of simply being unlocked through it, do they get any interesting events on relationships with the DoA characters?

I liked that the site bothered to make that relationship chart, but that felt incomplete then (Brad factor, for one), since not all characters had been revealed back then, and it hasn't been updated since.
There was some faint connection between Sarah and Tina, and Akira and Kokoro, but Pai wasn't announced then (nor were Eliot or Mila) - seeing interactions play out is one thing I enjoy in crossovers, here's hoping there's something worth looking forward to.

Then again, VF is pretty bare-bones in that department, and the characters with most story to them I can think of, Jacky and Kagemaru, didn't make the cut.
DoA has already way too many ninjas getting experimented on, but IIRC, Dural was actually Kage's mother, and the tech to do that to her doesn't sound too far off from what Doatech's dabbled with.

MjFrancis

Every time my wife buys a cabbage, she laughs and recalls this scene. Every. Time.

Team Ninja would do well to continue or even expand that sort of slapstick light-hearted story mode in DOA5. It's already done though, so I'll find out within a week.

louie

Every time my wife buys a cabbage, she laughs and recalls this scene. Every. Time.

Team Ninja would do well to continue or even expand that sort of slapstick light-hearted story mode in DOA5. It's already done though, so I'll find out within a week.

Brad and Eliot seem to encounter a similar conflict:

4dLdS.jpg

Vazra

Anyone will grab pop corn for the story mode? I surely will (And wash my hands when its time to play)

Galdelico

Nice trailer and lol at the (kind of) Aerosmith trolling at the beginning.

Also noticed a cool costume on Rig at 0:40... It reminds me of Abel's outfit.

Loona

DoA, reviving Popeye's spinach-consumption mania in the 21st century with a new vegetable.

I don't mind a little silliness here and there, especially if it comes with some character development or insights, but DoA isn't exactly balanced in its use and might actually be lowering expectations for the genre as a whole.

Loona

Anyone will grab pop corn for the story mode? I surely will (And wash my hands when its time to play)

Is there a replay mode to see the whole thing in one go after we've already played through it?

These things are getting bigger nowadays, but in the games I do have where you can review scenes, you have to select them separately one after the other, so finding a Youtube playlist with all of them ends up being more convenient. I hope devs start to address this ore often.

patapuf

I don't think there are any expectations to lower when it comes to story in fighting games.

Let's not forget that the genre is fairly gameplay focused and the only "gamemode" is 1vs1 or 2vs2 fighting. Since you don't want to fight against the same persone every time you have to invent reasons for different people to fight each other.

That makes for fairly silly plots, especially since no one ever dies. I prefer them to embrace that sillyness rather than try to make a serious story that won't work well anyway.

Vazra

Is there a replay mode to see the whole thing in one go after we've already played through it?

These things are getting bigger nowadays, but in the games I do have where you can review scenes, you have to select them separately one after the other, so finding a Youtube playlist with all of them ends up being more convenient. I hope devs start to address this ore often.

Don't think so. Would be nice.

Loona

I don't think there are any expectations to lower when it comes to story in fighting games.

Maybe not general expectation, but there's decent to good stuff out there. I'm personally a fan of the work done with the Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting series, and those bothered with plots and tying the series together right from the start of the 90s. It's probably quite possible to write something like this for Geese Howard just based on those games.
I haven't played the latest MK, but I've seen a lot of praise for it, even if it apparently involved time shennanigans and revising the whole series.
Let's not forget that the genre is fairly gameplay focused and the only "gamemode" is 1vs1 or 2vs2 fighting. Since you don't want to fight against the same persone every time you have to invent reasons for different people to fight each other.

Sure, the one thing you can do with your characters is fight, and having a story on top of that will involve some excuses, some worse than others, but when the people in charge aim high you can get something interesting that'll last longer that whatever combat strategy that applies to an individual game but may not persist through others.

That makes for fairly silly plots, especially since no one ever dies. I prefer them to embrace that sillyness rather than try to make a serious story that won't work well anyway.

Oh, characters die in FG plots alright, but if a series is popular enough they can always make dream match games to bring them back, like KoF and Tekken Tag tournament do.

KingJ2002

The new launch trailer has me hyped up... but i wonder... has there been any talk about DLC stages?

I think the stages in DOA 5 are cool... but not as diverse as the stages in DOA 4 so I hope that there's more on the way.

Top Bottom