• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

My ps3 went YLOD on me a few weeks ago while playing Dark Souls. I took him in to the shop today to get it reballed and hopefully fixed. I did this so I could play DOA 5.

I also have a 360, but I usually get fighters for my ps3 due to the far superior d-pad. I hear most of GAF goes ps3 for the fighters. Any news on differences/advantages between the two ports?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My ps3 went YLOD on me a few weeks ago while playing Dark Souls. I took him in to the shop today to get it reballed and hopefully fixed. I did this so I could play DOA 5.

I also have a 360, but I usually get fighters for my ps3 due to the far superior d-pad. I hear most of GAF goes ps3 for the fighters. Any news on differences/advantages between the two ports?

So far nothing but if makes if it makes any difference Ps3 is the lead platform.

raven777

so somehow I managed to get a copy. It has an online pass.

About to fire up the ps3 version. I'll post some impressions later.

manual says online hosts up to 16 people.

-nice 20+ second black screen at startup
-the tecmo intro was stuttery for some reason
-you can select casual or pro playstyles at the beginning (which determines action sequences or something)
-you can turn off dirt, sweat and water particles in the options menu
-2700mb optional install

tell me how are the loadings after the install.

Skilletor

-you can select casual or pro playstyles at the beginning (which determines action sequences or something)
-2700mb optional install

I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!

vocab

Please make install mandatory if they go online. I hated that shit with SFIV.

Vanilla SFIV has many technical issues, and the optional install for loading was one of them. I hope to god it isn't as bad as vanilla SFIV. PLEASE.

DR2K

Banned
Vanilla SFIV has many technical issues, and the optional install for loading was one of them. I hope to god it isn't as bad as vanilla SFIV. PLEASE.

Well I heard loading times were good in the final build. . . . but still, every second counts when waiting for a match.

Did the Ninja's silence the Doc?

branny

I didn't mind her too much because you could counter her after you knew what the AI would more or less assault you with. She also had trouble dealing with running/lunging and charge up attacks.

I still think KoF has the most obnoxious bosses.

d0c_zaius

ok after a little in story mode with a bunch of fights:

-story mode is really cool. You bounce around between all of the characters and they fit together nicely. The cinemas are pretty clean. minor spoiler
it looks like theres no per character ending, as each character is a chapter leading to some big conclusion
. Oh and I'm unlocking stuff through this mode so I'm not sure if there is another way to get unlocks for people that don't like playing through stories. All fights are one round only though, like old DOA story modes.

-gameplay feels super smooth. I'm not sure if the pacing feels different because it's been a while since I played 4 or because of actual changes, but I adjusted after a little. Didn't 4 (and the 3 previous) have big damage with counters? Big damage seems toned down in general except for combos. I don't mind though as it creates more interesting fights with positioning.

-I did some SFxT type move where I held buttons down to charge up something, then I hit the opponent and it did a QTE I think? Not sure but it was weird. I'm guessing it had to do with getting environmental damage to happen, and might be easier to use with the casual setting on.

-not sure about Rig. His style was hard to interpret based on his design. Mila is an acceptable modern replacement for Vanessa so that is awesome. If only she had a sway.

-the graphic quality of the transitions to the fighting is really impressive. It may be just gloss from not having seen DOA in a while, but the models look really nice and natural. The new faces took a little getting used to but they really give the characters more personality and take then away from looking somewhat the same. The giggling during cutscenes is weird though.

so far I like it, haven't tried online though.

Vazra

-story mode is really cool. You bounce around between all of the characters and they fit together nicely. The cinemas are pretty clean. minor spoiler
it looks like theres no per character ending, as each character is a chapter leading to some big conclusion
. Oh and I'm unlocking stuff through this mode so I'm not sure if there is another way to get unlocks for people that don't like playing through stories. All fights are one round only though, like old DOA story modes.

-gameplay feels super smooth. I'm not sure if the pacing feels different because it's been a while since I played 4 or because of actual changes, but I adjusted after a little. Didn't 4 (and the 3 previous) have big damage with counters? Big damage seems toned down in general except for combos. I don't mind though as it creates more interesting fights with positioning.

-I did some SFxT type move where I held buttons down to charge up something, then I hit the opponent and it did a QTE I think? Not sure but it was weird. I'm guessing it had to do with getting environmental damage to happen, and might be easier to use with the casual setting on.

-not sure about Rig. His style was hard to interpret based on his design. Mila is an acceptable modern replacement for Vanessa so that is awesome. If only she had a sway.

-the graphic quality of the transitions to the fighting is really impressive. It may be just gloss from not having seen DOA in a while, but the models look really nice and natural. The new faces took a little getting used to but they really give the characters more personality and take then away from looking somewhat the same. The giggling during cutscenes is weird though.

Try 1 match quickly to check if its smooth!

raven777

you haven't finished the story mode, right?

How are the loading?

DR2K

Banned

Power blow, you get it when your health glows red at 50% life.

Glad you're liking it.

Esura

Banned

-2700mb optional install

Ugh, I loathe online passes.

Did they ever announce they were going to do online passes?

DR2K

Banned
I dunno it wont accept my online pass, maybe its too early.

They just put the online pass up for PS3 today. Might be too early for your code to work though.

Are you unlocking costumes/characters via story mode and/or arcade mode?

d0c_zaius

They might kill him for playing early!!

hmmm did tecmo messed up the Online passes again? (remembers NG3 thread)

probably too early.

uh oh they messed up online passes before?

They just put the online pass up for PS3 today. Might be too early for your code to work though.

Are you unlocking costumes/characters via story mode and/or arcade mode?

arcade mode seems only for point ranking. and
you start unlocking VF people in story right away

Vazra

uh oh they messed up online passes before?

arcade mode seems only for point ranking.

I believe some people had issues redeeming the Online pass for NG3. Some people also used Tecmo Mistake to get DOA5 Alpha demo from it since they had to give new codes to people.

Hopefully the case here its different.

Makoto

tableflip.gif

I'm getting nervous just waiting for online impressions. I'm playing this game solo with no intent to go to tournaments. Online is going to make or break this game for me. The online has to be at least very close to what we got with a certain game that was released last week.

Edit: We just need someone to post a "I played someone half way across the world on a 1-bar connection and though there was input delay, it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be." type of impression.

Esura

Banned
Not sure. TT2 has one too =/ At least you get the 2 day trial thing in doa5 like MK9.

I don't even think TTT2 does the 2 day thing.

Well I hope their online is up to stuff to justify this, cause this is starting to become irksome.

d0c_zaius

I believe some people had issues redeeming the Online pass for NG3. Some people also used Tecmo Mistake to get DOA5 Alpha demo from it.

hmm ok thanks for the info. I actually think my code might be messed up then. Guess I'll have to wait till next week to find out.

Once I restarted there was no more stuttering in the tecmo intro.

DR2K

Banned
tableflip.gif

I'm getting nervous just waiting for online impressions. I'm playing this game solo with no intent to go to tournaments. Online is going to make or break this game for me. The online has to be at least very close to what we got with a certain game that was released last week.

I'm not worried about the netcode. They've been doing good quality netcode since 2004 without sacrifice.

I'm a day late, but the OP is awesome! I'm hoping the netcode is good also. I'm going to be in Germany for the next two years and most of my friends are back in the states, so I hope it holds up. I think I'm going to go with Mila as my main. I've used Hayabusa and Ayane for years, but Mila looks like an exceptionally sexy beast.

Jimrpg

Nice OP!

Besides Story mode is there another single player mode say like kumite mode in Virtua Fighter or the campaign mode in Soul Calibur?

I'll be playing single player mostly.

Squire

Banned
hmm ok thanks for the info. I actually think my code might be messed up then. Guess I'll have to wait till next week to find out.

Once I restarted there was no more stuttering in the tecmo intro.

It should be fine. You're on PS3; those kinds of codes don't work until day of launch.

Reviewers who need to cover downloadable titles or the MP for a game with an OP complain about this. (And rightfully so.)

dreamfall

Wait- there are no individual Story endings for each character? Do you unlock costumes through the Arcade mode then?! How does this work?

-2700mb optional install

Again?! It was in DoA4, I like that they've kept that feature!

Squire

Banned
What's the difficulty like? You mentioned casual and normal settings to start; are there individual Easy/Normal/Hard modes? Is there a Very Easy?

d0c_zaius

Wait- there are no individual Story endings for each character? Do you unlock costumes through the Arcade mode then?! How does this work?

I'm just guessing as I haven't beat story mode yet. Each character is a chapter it seems.

Again?! It was in DoA4, I like that they've kept that feature!

Actually I think that was just the initial cache. I suggest everyone rerun it after the initial install.

What's the difficulty like? You mentioned casual and normal settings to start; are there individual Easy/Normal/Hard modes? Is there a Very Easy?

I think the casual/normal settings were control modifiers, like easier inputs or something. I didn't go into the options menu but in Arcade it got fairly difficult around 5 fights. Story mode has a longer difficulty progression so most fights right now are pretty easy.

Whilst waiting for online matches are you left looking at the menu or does it put you into practice like TTT2?

I dunno as I can't use my online pass yet, but you are allowed to play in arcade mode for leaderboard rankings while waiting for challengers.

Squire

Banned
I think the casual/normal settings were control modifiers, like easier inputs or something. I didn't go into the options menu but in Arcade it got fairly difficult around 5 fights. Story mode has a longer difficulty progression so most fights right now are pretty easy.

Ah, thanks. One more thing: Since you're on PS3 can you check to see if photos taken in the View mode save to the system's HDD? Or are they only viewable in the in-game album?

You can go through Arcade mode to unlock them too. In tag only the first character's costume will unlock.

Lisa has an air throw!

Anybody else play fighters this way:

1. Set game to easy, smallest lifebar and a single round.
2. Burn through the game multiple times to collect endings/costumes for each fighter.
3. Then I begin to play the game properly.

Or is it just me?

Endo Punk

Anybody else play fighters this way:

1. Set game to easy, smallest lifebar and a single round.
2. Burn through the game multiple times to collect endings/costumes for each fighter.
3. Then I begin to play the game properly.

Or is it just me?

Nah I enjoy taking my time with the unlockable content.

Endo Punk

The character models getting dirty and sweaty in their swimsuits is quite a sight. Really happy Team Ninja finally let them out of their packaging.

Top Bottom