• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Come on guys, one guy posted his experience online and you guys are holding off ordering it? The game's not even officially out yet.
It's not "one guy" and the best I've heard from anyone credible is you can get an okay match here and there. That's not good enough for me. I held off playing anything online until SCV because nothing else felt good enough to bother with. After VF5FS and TTT2's online, why would I waste my time on a laggy version of a game that relies heavily on stuns and counters? The ability to complete combos is moot since DOA's generous input buffer allows you to essentially just hammer out the inputs. Not being able to see and react to stuff is much more critical.

I'll keep my eye out over the next couple of days (and if need be coming months) to see if this improves. But if this isn't fixed by the end of the week I'd imagine most people will pass or drop it and not come back.

So far I'm loving the game. Very fast, intense, responsive and beautiful. Definitely think it's an improvement over DOA4 so far in most areas. Haven't tried online yet. Hopefully, it isn't as bad as Tekken 6 online was. SFXT online wasn't too hot either, but I still think it was better than Tekken 6's online. How are reviews going to chastise this game for being the same thing when practically every fighting sequel has been very similar to it's predecessor this generation? I bet they are going to give those, "mainstream" sequels coming out high praises even though they will play virtually identical.

I just picked up my copy, but won't be able to play it for a few hours. All the complaining about the netcode has me a bit worried. If it is as bad as people are making it out to be, I will have to pickup my first Tekken game in 15 years.

DR2K

Banned
Netcode does need work overall, but good matches are still possible, luckily most of mine have been lag free.

So far I'm loving the game. Very fast, intense, responsive and beautiful. Definitely think it's an improvement over DOA4 so far in most areas. Haven't tried online yet. Hopefully, it isn't as bad as Tekken 6 online was. SFXT online wasn't too hot either, but I still think it was better than Tekken 6's online. How are reviews going to chastise this game for being the same thing when practically every fighting sequel has been very similar to it's predecessor this generation? I bet they are going to give those, "mainstream" sequels coming out high praises even though they will play virtually identical.

Critics didn't seem to mind when SFIV came out with the same gameplay and movesets from SNES era. 9's and 10's across the board.

KSai

We RUN THIS SHIT, X-Box style. I love the game. I've been eating up new PS3 players left and right with counters. None of them counter at all. Zack, Bass, and Hitomi for President, VP, and Secretary of State 2012 are my choices for mains.

By the way, Mila is freaking tall.

Dantis

We RUN THIS SHIT, X-Box style. I love the game. I've been eating up new PS3 players left and right with counters. None of them counter at all. Zack, Bass, and Hitomi for President, VP, and Secretary of State 2012 are my choices for mains.

By the way, Mila is freaking tall.

I was counting on this. Can't wait for Friday.

How's your experience with online been?

Ken

Do I just press the hold button and I'll counter any punches or kicks or do I have to press a direction with the hold?

This is all quite confusing lol.

Dantis

Do I just press the hold button and I'll counter any punches or kicks or do I have to press a direction with the hold?

Wouldn't that be a bit easy? :p

Back and hold counters mid-punches, forward and hold counters mid kicks, back-up and hold counters high strikes, back-down counters low strikes.

kiryogi

Banned

What Dantis said, go into training for an idea of all your holds and options.

Ken

Wouldn't that be a bit easy? :p

Back and hold counters mid-punches, forward and hold counters mid punches, back-up and hold counters high strikes, back-down counters low strikes.

Huh. You mean to say back and forward and hold counters the same thing, right?

Dantis

Huh. You mean to say back and forward and hold counters the same thing, right?

WHOOPS! Forward and hold is counter mid kicks. My bad.

If it's your first DOA game, I'd just block for now though. A lot of players online are bad and don't even know how to react to a block.

DR2K

Banned
Focus Attacks
Ultras
Different combo system/mechanics
Easy Inputs
4 New Characters with unique playstyles
????

Power Blow
Easy inputs
5 new and unique playstyles
Boob sweat???

Counterholds work like this

Up back + h for high kicks/punches
back + H for mid punches
forward + H for mid kicks
down back + H for low kicks and punches

Some characters have advanced holds where they press 2 directions + hold, do command training with your character to find out.

Critics didn't seem to mind when SFIV came out with the same gameplay and movesets from SNES era. 9's and 10's across the board.

SF4 did add some enhancements and few features, but at it's core, it did play very similar to the old games. The amazing Virtua Fighter 5 came out on PS3 in 2007. We get the even more amazing VF5: FS in 2012 and isn't the basic gameplay mechanics very similar to the 5 year old game. If it isn't broke, why fix it?

Moofers

Reviews don't fuckin matter for the most part. I mean, its interesting to see them, but how often do fighting games ever break out of the 8/10 range anyway? I honestly feel like most fighters are not reviewed by members of the FGC so I shouldn't put much stock into them.

Power Blow
Easy inputs
5 new and unique playstyles
Boob sweat???

Counterholds work like this

Up back + h for high kicks/punches
back + H for mid punches
forward + H for mid kicks
down back + H for low kicks and punches

Some characters have advanced holds where they press 2 directions + hold, do command training with your character to find out.

Interestingly enough, they added button blocking in addition to the traditional hold back blocking. That should make everyone happy.

Castef

Banned
8/10 seem like a fair score. If it averages this I will be happy.

I'm expecting a streak of 8ish reviews.

The impact the game is having with the reviewers i know is less solid than the one they had with DOA4. Well, of course, in that case we also had to consider the generation leap and so on.

Yet, DOA5 does not seem a very evident step up.

remz

whenever i read "lack of innovation" in a fighting game review these days I really tend to read "lack of flashy gimmick" because that's usually what they mean.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lets add more quick time events to the game maybe reviewers will like more cinematic action!

*Sarcasm and taking a jab on Naruto and DBZ games*

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm into those Naruto and DBZ games and I don't even like quick time events.
Except Ultimate Tenkaichi, that is unspeakable.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, I'm normally the guy that has good games all around on netcode / network features. I can see a few bad, I can see mostly good... Here in DOA, there are a few issues I've encountered.

(All Xbox 360 stuff)

-- I had one match that felt very nice. It was a true fight against me and the other guy.
-- The other 2 or so... not so great. Since there's no way for me to tell their connection in ranked, who knows what was the deciding factor?

You can tell the game is slowing down the gameplay, to try to fit in the actions. Except, unlike KoFs, which did this to preserve perfect timing, this still occassionally felt like it dropped inputs.

-- While in training, you can set what type of connections you want to find you in fight request. Odd, since you can't see these connections in ranked.
-- Why can you set the amount of rounds in ranked matches? A bit odd, but not entirely bad.
-- Anyway, when open for fight request, you have to press the back button to accept them. A red icon flashes at the lower right of the screen. I don't think many people understand this yet, but once they do, I think you'll find much more matches online, and of better / higher quality.

---
Conclusion: The netcode definitely isn't a rollback type. It probably won't prefer very well over bad connections, but it easily has the potential to perform very well at optimal. Will keep my eye on how well this all develops. Had less issues with TTT2 and VF5FS, thus far.
---

Other stuff:

As a pure offline game, this is probably one of the best running fighters on this gen's hardware. Everything loads AMAZINGLY fast, return and next match stuff runs FANTASTICALLY, makes Tekken series feel like it's cripple in that department. (Even VF5 cold learn a thing or 2 from this.)

VF characters OBVIOUSLY sound like... VF sound samples. Like they're recorded in a totally different sound quality than the others. It's kinda charming! It's kinda weird.

US VA work isn't really that bad. I think the worse thing about them is they lack variety at times. Lei Fang "EiiiiYAAAAAAA" (Uncle from Jackie chan adventures?) Is horrible as a hit effect, as she will chain the same sound together OVER and OVER when getting smashed aganist walls... it sounds a bit campy and mis-managed, due to this.

Otherwise though... I like the US VA. Tina sounds better in game than in trailers to me, I can't say it doesn't fit her... I can even deal with Ayane, though I love her Japanese VA, it's one of the most memorable to me...

Notes for controls: You can select if you want to use double tap UP for side step... or Up+PKH. A great, considerate idea.

Button config is "the good kind". You can erase a button from use by double tapping it.

The CE: I really like it. The artbook is worthwhile (it's 3D art for most of it, with 2D art that shows costume designs and such, and has a writeup of a few lines on each character, and all the stages).

The Soundtrack is a real one, with a worthy amount of tracks (20 or so), with good lengths, and in a real jewelcase. After stuff like the P4A sample disk, this feels like it's worlds better.

The paper that offers you the chance to fully expose Kasumi is pretty freaky. I'd guess it's free access to a page of the prima strat guid for her...

The DLC from Preorders and CE is REAL DLC. 15 megs, and 61 megs each, respectively. So doesn't appear to be on disk... does this mean people without this DLC can't see those costumes? Hmm.

---

While I felt swamped with the amount of stuff to learn in Tekken, here, I feel like I really want to get to know my characters, because their movelist / new moves are so finely nuanced. The new moves have been added in pretty smartly... I haven't seen one that feels needlessly difficult, or like they just threw an arbitraty motion onto it. I'd love to see a decent critical burst primer, or character-tips in the training, but otherwise, the command training is great (Love it in DOA and VF), and I love having frame data and relevant info RIGHT there for once.

In the end, I'm impressed much by the game itself, but will have to have more time with the online to truly judge it. Will have to try some player matches later today, or something...

Dantis

Well, I'm normally the guy that has good games all around on netcode / network features. I can see a few bad, I can see mostly good... Here in DOA, there are a few issues I've encountered.

(All Xbox 360 stuff)

-- I had one match that felt very nice. It was a true fight against me and the other guy.
-- The other 2 or so... not so great. Since there's no way for me to tell their connection in ranked, who knows what was the deciding factor?

You can tell the game is slowing down the gameplay, to try to fit in the actions. Except, unlike KoFs, which did this to preserve perfect timing, this still occassionally felt like it dropped inputs.

-- While in training, you can set what type of connections you want to find you in fight request. Odd, since you can't see these connections in ranked.
-- Why can you set the amount of rounds in ranked matches? A bit odd, but not entirely bad.
-- Anyway, when open for fight request, you have to press the back button to accept them. A red icon flashes at the lower right of the screen. I don't think many people understand this yet, but once they do, I think you'll find much more matches online, and of better / higher quality.

---
Conclusion: The netcode definitely isn't a rollback type. It probably won't prefer very well over bad connections, but it easily has the potential to perform very well at optimal. Will keep my eye on how well this all develops. Had less issues with TTT2 and VF5FS, thus far.
---

Other stuff:

As a pure offline game, this is probably one of the best running fighters on this gen's hardware. Everything loads AMAZINGLY fast, return and next match stuff runs FANTASTICALLY, makes Tekken series feel like it's cripple in that department. (Even VF5 cold learn a thing or 2 from this.)

VF characters OBVIOUSLY sound like... VF sound samples. Like they're recorded in a totally different sound quality than the others. It's kinda charming! It's kinda weird.

US VA work isn't really that bad. I think the worse thing about them is they lack variety at times. Lei Fang "EiiiiYAAAAAAA" (Uncle from Jackie chan adventures?) Is horrible as a hit effect, as she will chain the same sound together OVER and OVER when getting smashed aganist walls... it sounds a bit campy and mis-managed, due to this.

Otherwise though... I like the US VA. Tina sounds better in game than in trailers to me, I can't say it doesn't fit her... I can even deal with Ayane, though I love her Japanese VA, it's one of the most memorable to me...

Notes for controls: You can select if you want to use double tap UP for side step... or Up+PKH. A great, considerate idea.

Button config is "the good kind". You can erase a button from use by double tapping it.

The CE: I really like it. The artbook is worthwhile (it's 3D art for most of it, with 2D art that shows costume designs and such, and has a writeup of a few lines on each character, and all the stages).

The Soundtrack is a real one, with a worthy amount of tracks (20 or so), with good lengths, and in a real jewelcase. After stuff like the P4A sample disk, this feels like it's worlds better.

The paper that offers you the chance to fully expose Kasumi is pretty freaky. I'd guess it's free access to a page of the prima strat guid for her...

The DLC from Preorders and CE is REAL DLC. 15 megs, and 61 megs each, respectively. So doesn't appear to be on disk... does this mean people without this DLC can't see those costumes? Hmm.

---

While I felt swamped with the amount of stuff to learn in Tekken, here, I feel like I really want to get to know my characters, because their movelist / new moves are so finely nuanced. The new moves have been added in pretty smartly... I haven't seen one that feels needlessly difficult, or like they just threw an arbitraty motion onto it. I'd love to see a decent critical burst primer, or character-tips in the training, but otherwise, the command training is great (Love it in DOA and VF), and I love having frame data and relevant info RIGHT there for once.

In the end, I'm impressed much by the game itself, but will have to have more time with the online to truly judge it. Will have to try some player matches later today, or something...

Gah... Three more days!

Vazra

You see that Namco? Real DLC!

No mention of the poster sir?

Westlo

On one hand it's cool that it's actual dlc, but the on the other... what's the point if I can't show off Tina's CE swimsuit!!

woah man I don't know what to do....this game or Resi 6?
I need a game with good SP and online play. I'm worried about the netcode (PS3)...DOA is the only fighting game I like. Mortal Kombat was okay, I hate Tekken (slooooooooooow) and VF (too complicated).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You see that Namco? Real DLC!

No mention of the poster sir?

I'm sorry the poster had to be folded :( It's a nice "widescreen" version of the cover for me (and only single-sided), I thought someone mentioned they got a Kasumi Calender? Or was that something with the guide, or retailer specific?

In all reality, it'd probably make decent stick art, if anyone could find an un-folded, print-ready version...

Vazra

I'm sorry the poster had to be folded :( It's a nice "widescreen" version of the cover for me (and only single-sided), I thought someone mentioned they got a Kasumi Calender? Or was that something with the guide, or retailer specific?

In all reality, it'd probably make decent stick art, if anyone could find an un-folded, print-ready version...

The Kasumi Calendar was for the guide.

Top Bottom