• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Galdelico

Gamespot 7.5

hmmm
Yeah, I don't get it either...

EG: If you're looking for a wealth of new and inventive content in addition to some truly ground-breaking mechanics... -> 7/10

GS:
+Complex and hard-hitting fighting mechanics
+ Stable online play
+ Smooth character animations.
- Poorly executed educational mode
- Sorting replays is a chore.
= 7.5

Can't see why all this stuff suddenly becomes such a great deal to point out and punish, with DoA.
Don't wanna play the fanboy here, just to know what's going on, really.

Haliela

EG: If you're looking for a wealth of new and inventive content in addition to some truly ground-breaking mechanics... -> 7/10

GS:
+Complex and hard-hitting fighting mechanics
+ Stable online play
+ Smooth character animations.
- Poorly executed educational mode
- Sorting replays is a chore.
= 7.5

Yep. Retarded.

He must just fall in to that fighting gamer trend of hating on DoA. It's a popular franchise to be biased against.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Netcode does need work overall, but good matches are still possible, luckily most of mine have been lag free.

This. I'm kinda sad it isn't DOA2U and 4 netcode. I guess Itagaki took that with him when he turned tables to leave Tecmo. :(

So, how do you do Power Blows? It seems any time I do Hitomi's even when the bar is red for the enemy I only do a charged attack with no cut scene. :/

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
This. I'm kinda sad it isn't DOA2U and 4 netcode. I guess Itagaki took that with him when he turned tables to leave Tecmo. :(

So, how do you do Power Blows? It seems any time I do Hitomi's even when the bar is red for the enemy I only do a charged attack with no cut scene. :/

When you have 50% you can do it. You can see the power blows and Critical Burst on the character select screen.

patapuf

i don't really care about reviews but it does seem strange that so many praise the game and then slap a mediocre score on it.

It's like they are afraid to give it a good score.

It's your own health that has to be red, not the opponents

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ the fact that SFxT will sit higher than this on the meta scales.

Some years ago, I would scramble to get my hands on reviews to read and be surprised by the judgments passed. Nowadays, it is just funny to me.

i don't really care about reviews but it does seem strange that so many praise the game and then slap a mediocre score on it.

It's like they are afraid to give it a good score.

This. I'm genuinely confused as to why it's getting scored in the 7 range and not the 9 range like DOA4 did. I just don't get it.

From all the videos the game looks really polished, and most reviews seem positive but then the game gets slapped with a 7.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Its hard to take reviews seriously these days.

Call of Duty can crap on the same game 6 times for 6 consecutive years and still receive high scores but fighting games that did some changes even if they are not the revolution get meh or ok scores.

They are reviewing games based on their taste and not objectively as it should be.

remz

Call of Duty can crap on the same game 6 times for 6 consecutive years and still receive high scores but fighting games that did some changes even if they are not the revolution get meh or ok scores.

COD has the backing power of Activision's wallet, though.

DR2K

Banned
Every other genre gets a free pass for not inventing the wheel, but 3D fighters are the only genre that gets marks down for being 3D fighters.

Galdelico

That's because fighting games reviewers need to increase their level of knowledge and skill, in order to provide the readers some reliable service.
The Gamespot review's synopsis is ridiculous and also the Eurogamer's score left me really puzzled and disappointed.

They just need to step up and accept the fact you need to give the fighting games genre the same treatment that - let's say... - danmaku shooters have got.

You don't read anymore (or, at least, not as often as in the past) stupid 4/10 reviews of Cave shooters because 'Jeez, they are so full of bullets it's unplayable! Shiiieeeeeeeeeee...'
When dem games get covered, it's usually by people who are able to get them, play them properly and reward them with a fair verdict.

I think fighting games deserve this change in perspective too.

Ken

So the story mode tutorial thing tells me to do high strikes I need to mash P and K; is that really the only way? Seems kind of...weird for a category moves to just be mashing.

raven777

CVG review

UPPERS
Fast, slick, brutal combat
Inclusive fighting system that rewards extended play

DOWNERS
Lacks the complexity of Street Fighter
Story is superfluous nonsense

Is street fighter that more complex than DOA?

Also, CVG's first line from the review
Dead or Alive 5 is a game for people who don't like fighting games

early on we might see an improvement in how people feel the netcode is as the game can put players nearer together geographically into matches. if lots of people buy the game though, things could get worse for a while as the servers get hammered.

i'm just going to play some offline MP tonight with my wife. i'm expecting she will repeatedly destroy me with La Mariposa no matter who i play as even though she doesn't even know what the buttons do.

good times though.

Castef

Banned

There's not much to be "get".

The pro and cons are highlights of particular positive and negative aspects of the game.

Aspects of the game which are mediocres or not-that-excellent not necessarily go in that list.

So, you can't use them to "justify" or comment the rating. The whole article is there for that reason.

DR2K

Banned

The pro and cons are highlights of particular positive and negative aspects of the game.

Aspects of the game which are mediocres or not-that-excellent not necessarily go in that list.

So, you can't use them to "justify" or comment the rating. The whole article is there for that reason.

So a bullet point summery doesn't have to summerize. . . I guess the reviewer couldn't be bothered.

This.

Galdelico

Come on... When these pro and cons - all combined - don't make any sense at all and give you a possibly distorted vision of the whole picture, yeah, I genuinely don't get it.

I'm not calling it unfair just beacuse I still have to play the game, but it feels so weird to me.

Castef

Banned
Come on... When these pro and cons - all combined - don't make any sense at all and give you a possibly unfair vision of the whole picture, yeah, I genuinely don't get it.

If you just use the final rating + the pros and cons to get an idea of a game you are interested about then - yes - you don't get the "whole picture". Luckily, I mean. :)

Dantis

If you just use the final rating + the pros and cons to get an idea of a game you are interested about then - yes - you don't get the "whole picture". Luckily, I mean. :)

Ooft, someone is on the attack.

Also, that is a summary, you sausage. You can call it a list of highlights if you want (Which it isn't, because they're not direct quotes, they're the key points), but it's still there to summarize.

With the reviews that are coming out, i really feel like people are treating DOA as the step-child of fighting games, they are tolerating its presence but cant actually love it, because street fighter or tekken would then be jealous.

The reviews seem to praise its graphics and fluid controls, then ding it for not having an overly long story mode? Did Street Fighter 4 even have a story mode? The game offers a full feature set of characters, crossover characters, numerous stages with multi-level designs, full online play, yet it gets a 7 because of a poor replay organization system, again a feature that street fighter 4 didnt include at all...my god

Come on... When these pro and cons - all combined - don't make any sense at all and give you a possibly distorted vision of the whole picture, yeah, I genuinely don't get it.

I'm not calling it unfair just beacuse I still have to play the game, but it feels so weird to me.

Basically in that box you have just what is very bad, the review covers the rest, describing a good but not exceptional game.

Galdelico

So, what's the point...?

Seriousy, don't be so picky with some word... I guess what alot of people here meant (me included) was pretty much clear.

patapuf

That's not a summary. That is a list of highlights.

did you actually read any of these reviews? Because so far these "highlights" are also a summary.

The text reviews so far have been mostly positive, the score just doesn't reflect that.

Or do you expect people to post the whole review every time?

[ITA]Wolfgang;42523960 said:
Basically in that box you have just what is very bad, the review covers the rest, describing a good but not exceptional game.

only that in the majority of these boxes sor far there was no very bad thing and it was just a summary of what was in the text. Did you read them?

Wait, so on the C&VG reviews, the reviewer quotes "The game's training modes are absolutely superb...", yet on gamespots review "Poorly executed educational mode"

so which one is it guys?

patapuf

Wait, so on the C&VG reviews, the reviewer quotes "The game's training modes are absolutely superb...", yet on gamespots review "Poorly executed educational mode"

so which one is it guys?

They are not talking about the same thing. Gamespot critisizes that there is no mode that teaches you how to play - the story mode tries to do this, but it isn't all that good at it.

The actual training mode is good feature wise - for a competitive player that doesn't need the handholding.

Professional reviews has not been important to me for years. It almost seems like they hate giving great scores to games that are not mainstream or dare to be a little different imo. I will play the game for myself to judge it and formulate an opinion. Replays???? Are you serious?? I won't even acknowledge that trifling detail. Poor tutorial? Is it that difficult to follow the prompts that you can check at anytime? So far, this appears to be an excellent fighter with depth, great controls, gorgeous graphics and interesting characters. Any other game gets a pass for rehashing the same tired, unoriginal formulas over an over on a yearly basis, but when a game such as this is similar to it's predecessor, it is seen as detrimental and negative?

Top Bottom