• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Fuck yes!

Alx

Btw, you can make her default suit braless if you hit square (or triangle) on PS3/X (or Y) on 360 when you select.

Good to know. Are there other variations for other characters ? I remember that you could select different haircuts for Kasumi depending on the button you press, but I haven't tried it yet in DOA5.

Dantis

Good to know. Are there other variations for other characters ? I remember that you could select different haircuts for Kasumi depending on the button you press, but I haven't tried it yet in DOA5.

Yep. Glasses, hairstyles, that kind of thing.

AlStrong

Helena's got some hair style variation depending on the costume. Mila's C6 (?) alt removes the yellow towel. I do recall some hat/no hat for a couple characters. Panty colours too. :3 Maybe the bras underneath the wetshirts, but I haven't looked into it.

The DLC was free o_O

Set it for download so it starts when I get home, I hope my DoA5 CE is in my postbox today ffs. If not, it will be tomorrow.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Haha, I was hoping Christie's Dragon Ball Z anime shirt punk style wouldn't make it in. Oh well.

Mr_eX

I'm really worried they're going to nerf Brad Wong in the first balance update. He's not unbalanced or anything but a lot of people just don't know how to fight him so words like cheap get thrown around, even though he's one of if not the hardest characters to use properly(he has 7 stances after all). They did this in DOA4 to Christie about a month after the game came out. She was a solid mid tier character and they made her one of the worst in the game IMO.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm really worried they're going to nerf Brad Wong in the first balance update. He's not unbalanced or anything but a lot of people just don't know how to fight him so words like cheap get thrown around, even though he's one of if not the hardest characters to use properly(he has 7 stances after all). They did this in DOA4 to Christie about a month after the game came out. She was a solid mid tier character and they made her one of the worst in the game IMO.

I just fired up the game for the first time last night and I noticed this as well. I actually like Christie quite a bit against some fighters. I've been pretty successful against Hitomi, but I really suck pretty bad right now. My DOA-fu has become weak.

Loona

still looking. don't tell me i'm the only one who bought this game.

On Euro PS3 here too - manged to buy the game on release day, but since I've been moving, only managed to get the PS3 connected and running last night, I expect to mess around with the game a bit more tonight. PSN ID is IkariLoona.

zlatko

Banned
Digging that free DLC. Set it to download for when I get home.

Akira, Mila, and Bayman look awesome!

I keep trying to learn Rig, but I don't think it's going to happen. He doesn't strike fast enough, and while his recovery and shit on moves is fairly safe and allows for a lot of pressure, I feel I can't mount an offense with him consistently enough.

Mila on the other hand I can actually win some matches with so I'll probably focus my efforts on her, although I want to main Rig. Maybe when people start posting combos and shit online for characters I can learn him.

I had a lot of laggy matches last night. It was damn brutal. :/

Vossler

Lot of laggy matches as well....went like 2-3 then gave up due to frustration. Love the game, sometimes the net code drives me nuts.

I have a 100Mbps wired connection. I think the problem comes from the fact that I have to search the "ANY" to find a game. I'm in the US..

BossLackey

Gold Member
Digging that free DLC. Set it to download for when I get home.

Akira, Mila, and Bayman look awesome!

I keep trying to learn Rig, but I don't think it's going to happen. He doesn't strike fast enough, and while his recovery and shit on moves is fairly safe and allows for a lot of pressure, I feel I can't mount an offense with him consistently enough.

Mila on the other hand I can actually win some matches with so I'll probably focus my efforts on her, although I want to main Rig. Maybe when people start posting combos and shit online for characters I can learn him.

I had a lot of laggy matches last night. It was damn brutal. :/

I'm using Rig as well and I agree with what you're saying about him not striking fast enough sometimes (especially recovering from a combo or block). However, I feel like I get his flow now and know when to get in close and when to stay away and punish with his kicks. If they let you in, Rig has a lot of hard hitting combos. I've won more than a few matches that I was initially losing by running in, dodging a strike and laying into their side. I like Rig a lot. Finally some Taekwondo.

Beretman has returned. I'm hoping that since we got Tina's DOA1 costumes (which suck, btw), they end up giving me either Bass Hogan from DOA1 or Hollywood Bass Hogan from DOA3. I need some proper All-American pro wrestling gear and Mr. Strong's ain't cuttin' it.

Mr_eX

I was on that live stream I posted last night for like 2 hours and can only remember one laggy fight. I'm curious what type of connection everyone complaining about lag have.

zlatko

Banned
I was on that live stream I posted last night for like 2 hours and can only remember one laggy fight. I'm curious what type of connection everyone complaining about lag have.

I'm sure our connections are all varied, and honestly that shit is a cop out at this point. There has been proven net codes in fighters, that even for people with ass connections like my friend in Alaska who I think caps out at like 2MB down, and ass up, can still have 100% silky smooth matches with me in Tekken Tag 2 and SC5.

The majority of my time with the game has been smooth with some laggy matches, but last night was dildos.

Mr_eX

I'm sure our connections are all varied, and honestly that shit is a cop out at this point. There has been proven net codes in fighters, that even for people with ass connections like my friend in Alaska who I think caps out at like 2MB down, and ass up, can still have 100% silky smooth matches with me in Tekken Tag 2 and SC5.

The majority of my time with the game has been smooth with some laggy matches, but last night was dildos.

Don't TTT2 and SC5 use dedicated servers?

I'm not saying the netcode is perfect but if you have a decent connection the majority of your games should be fine.

Do you share your connection with anyone that may have been using it while you were playing?
Nope. No downloads or anything else, either. And I get great connections in the other 3D fighters.

I'd counter with asking people who feel they aren't getting much lag what characters they use and how they play. I use Bass, so I'm depending on capitalizing on very small openings versus much faster characters to get the ball rolling. Where I could land a throw consistently when I block my opponent's -5 attack offline, I consistently miss it online. I started to just anticipate and just throw or counter based completely on yomi instead of reacting but that isn't the way the real game is played so I'm not really interested in that.

EDIT: Also, the huge frame buffer results in getting missed holds after you're hit online when offline they would have landed as a hi-counter hold.

Skilletor

Beretman has returned. I'm hoping that since we got Tina's DOA1 costumes (which suck, btw), they end up giving me either Bass Hogan from DOA1 or Hollywood Bass Hogan from DOA3. I need some proper All-American pro wrestling gear and Mr. Strong's ain't cuttin' it.

Fool, i will cut you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TTT2 and SCV use peer to peer like other fighters.

They just use a newer net code strategy, and TTT2 may actually be using mild rollback to prevent input latency. Hence its synching pauses every so often, to keep characters synchronized.

DoA5 feels as if it's using Team Ninjas code base from DoA4, though somewhat improved. So far my connections to other players have been more reliable than DoA4. But like 4, when the connection goes to crap, the game stutters, slows down, etc.

I think DoA4's net code had a relatively large enforced input frame delay compared to offline that never goes away, even with a perfect connection between players nearby.

The way DoA5 flows mitigates the damage from its netcode strategy IMHO... but it's still far more unreliable than Namco's last two games. (Funny that Namco turned things around so much, going from crap to best in class.)

Mr_eX

Nope. No downloads or anything else, either. And I get great connections in the other 3D fighters.

I'd counter with asking people who feel they aren't getting much lag what characters they use and how they play. I use Bass, so I'm depending on capitalizing on very small openings versus much faster characters to get the ball rolling. Where I could land a throw consistently when I block my opponent's -5 attack offline, I consistently miss it online. I started to just anticipate and just throw or counter based completely on yomi instead of reacting but that isn't the way the real game is played so I'm not really interested in that.

EDIT: Also, the huge frame buffer results in getting missed holds after you're hit online when offline they would have landed as a hi-counter hold.

I use Brad Wong and one of my main strategies is to crush high attacks in the middle of my opponents strings. Timing is key

I use Brad Wong and one of my main strategies is to crush high attacks in the middle of my opponents strings. Timing is key
I think you misunderstand me. I didn't say it's impossible to use a slower character to win, I said you have to use *much* more anticipation/guessing/yomi than you would offline. Online, the timing you're referring to is worlds different than that of the timing offline.

xion4360

I think you misunderstand me. I didn't say it's impossible to use a slower character to win, I said you have to use *much* more anticipation/guessing/yomi than you would offline. Online the timing you refer to is worlds different than that of the timing offline.

Very true. With any lag I pretty much have to resort to forward thinking moves rather than reactionary. Its a different style of play than I use offline. Well sometimes, usually I just stop in my tracks. Cant play with certain amount of lag.

Top Bottom