• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Are there plans to add to the OP a list with the amount of unlockable outfits per character, or a lunk to a page or post with that? It came up a few times in the topic, but it's still tricky to find with so many pages. It'd also make it simpler to work on the related titles.

Check OP now :p
Link under character relationships.

remz

The news that the game's outselling TTT2 are interesting, but I seriously hope boobs aren't the (interpreted) reason, it'd be a mess on the commendable efforts to tone that down and hurt the genre in general IMO...
With the comments and factoids hinting at DoA being the more popular FG among women, I wonder if that actually helped it get twice the sales most FGs could hope for... far-fetched as it may be...

Isn't it funny how everyone makes a big deal over DOA being so chauvanistic and demaning to women and sexist and being male pandering and etc and etc but it's actually really popular with a lot of girls?

Squire

Banned
DOA put 12 swimsuits in a CE for $80. TTT2 affected up 100 for the additional charge of nothing.

Who's sexist/pandering now?

Japan First Week

[PS3] Dead or Alive 5 # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.09.27} (¥8.190) - 66.586 / NEW
[360] Dead or Alive 5 # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.09.27} (¥8.190) - 14.811 / NEW

For comparison

[PS3] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.09.13} (¥7.980) - 62.630 / NEW
[360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.09.13} (¥7.980) - 5.000 / NEW

Everyone is pointing out it outsold TTT2, but the thing that really pulled it ahead was the increased Xbox 360 sales.

A.E Suggs

DOA put 12 swimsuits in a CE for $80. TTT2 affected up 100 for the additional charge of nothing.

Well TTT2 still isn't sexiest (as far as that dlc goes)because they what they gave to the females the guys have an equalvalent as well.

I don't know what you people are arguing about by the way and really I don't care.

DR2K

Banned

100? lol.

Anyone that uses sex appeal(male or female) to sell a product would follow under that. That's life, some companies are better than others at it.

Squire

Banned
100? lol.

Anyone that uses sex appeal(male or female) to sell a product would follow under that. That's life, some companies are better than others at it.

Yeah, I'm not really mad, but I always thought the comparison was humorous. I didn't know Tekken gave the guys suits too, though. That was a good call.

Well TTT2 still isn't sexiest (as far as that dlc goes)because they what they gave to the females the guys have an equalvalent as well.

I don't know what you people are arguing about by the way and really I don't care.

1) We're not arguing. 2) Then why bother commenting?

jediyoshi

Unless you're under the assumption that that's all the CE had, I don't think you actually understand how comparing things works.

DR2K

Banned
Yeah, I'm not really mad, but I always thought the comparison was humorous. I didn't know Tekken gave the guys suits too, though. That was a good call.

1) We're not arguing. 2) Then why bother commenting?

They gave the guys a suit, not suits. They all had the same loin cloth thing in different colors. The females got unique suits(mostly) in 3 colors. They removed the option to recolor the suits in order to inflate costume count.

Can you guys stop talking about swimsuits nobody cares about? I want to bitch about how terrible Lisa is and how Akira's equally as bad if your opponent knows how to play against him. Then I'll lament that Ein should have totally been in this game outside of DLC and the fact Jan Lee still having his Ein tag team shiny disco outfit is a personal slight against me personally.

DR2K

Banned
Can you guys stop talking about swimsuits nobody cares about? I want to bitch about how terrible Lisa is and how Akira's equally as bad if your opponent knows how to play against him. Then I'll lament that Ein should have totally been in this game outside of DLC and the fact Jan Lee still having his Ein tag team shiny disco outfit is a personal slight against me personally.

How do you play against Akira?

Skilletor

I doubt anybody aside from good VF players has anything approaching a decent Akira yet. He's got so many natural hit combos, advantage, damage, great movement...he's a beast. He'll end up being the best character in the game.

And, without specifics, that's a generic statement that can be applied to anybody. :p

TTT2 has no sex appeal because of the line backer shoulders on the females. The women just look polly wally crappy IMO.

video_994.jpg

Its a pity because the (custom) females in SCV could be made to looks super hot. Namco did a good job in that game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, as a total beginner in fighting games I want to get better at them... and hell, why not trying it with Dead or Alive 5 for starters.

Any tips that I can use to do well in this game? Maybe the easiest character to pick and all that? I really like Kokoro though, hahaha.

TTT2's swimsuits might not be the most interesting, but the fact that both the men and the women got suits automatically puts Tekken way ahead in my book.

DR2K

Banned
So, as a total beginner in fighting games I want to get better at them... and hell, why not trying it with Dead or Alive 5 for starters.

Any tips that I can use to do well in this game? Maybe the easiest character to pick and all that? I really like Kokoro though, hahaha.

Easiest character to pick up would probably be Hitomi. She's very basic and straight forward.

Play the tutorial in story mode. It's really good at teaching the basics. Also command training helps with learning your characters movelist.

Sayah

TTT2 doesnt really have 100 swimsuits, it has like 15 with reskins
That's not true. The males have similar ones but the females have unique ones. Plus, can't forget True Ogre's bikini costume. That alone tops everything in DoA5.
I realize this thread is full of DoA fans. >_>

And mostly all of the swimsuits look just fine. Sorry to derail thread.

Ken

Easiest character to pick up would probably be Hitomi. She's very basic and straight forward.

Play the tutorial in story mode. It's really good at teaching the basics. Also command training helps with learning your characters movelist.

How do people know what commands to learn and remember or does it not work like BnBs in other games?

DR2K

Banned
How do people know what commands to learn and remember or does it not work like BnBs in other games?

Right now the guide and freestepdodge.com we're still trying to figure this game out. It's a whole new ball game. There is no arcade release and it's been 7 years since the last game, which is mostly irrelevant outside of the triangle system.

It's mostly about mixing up attack heights, so virtually most moves are useful. Your main moves are going to be ones that break guard, grant frame advantage, or have other types of properties such as evading or parrying. The attack data goes into the frame data, tracking, attack height, critcal burst threshold, etc. . .

If anyone wants any advice for a specific character I'll do my best to help out. I'm mainly a Helena player.

branny

^All that talk will overwhelm a beginner.

Here's my advice for a complete novice: just mash attack buttons while pressing random directions and occasionally press back and hold every now and then.

The finesse will come eventually, lol.

DR2K

Banned

Here's my advice for a complete novice: just mash attack buttons while pressing random directions and occasionally press back and hold every now and then.

Well I'd probably just list safe moves, frame advantage moves, whiff punishers, etc. . . It wouldn't be too comprehensive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's not true. The males have similar ones but the females have unique ones. Plus, can't forget True Ogre's bikini costume. That alone tops everything in DoA5.
I realize this thread is full of DoA fans. >_>

And mostly all of the swimsuits look just fine. Sorry to derail thread.

You're pulling stuff out your ass for that, It's still around 19 or so not counting recolors as well

The reason I put the number at 15 in the first place was for the girls. I'm sorry but a different color of the same bikini is not a whole new bikini

patapuf

This, though doing the command training in training mode does help, one doesn't need to learn all attacks but picking up a few combos, especially for opening an attack, is always good. It also teaches the basics of holding.

Once you are familiar with the moves/combos you can always come back to training mode and pick up new ones or look some up at freestepdodge or something.

Galdelico

Character : Tag partners
Alpha : none
Akira : Kokoro, Pai, Sarah
Ayane : Hayate, Kasumi, Ryu, Jann Lee
Bass : Ayane, Bayman, Rig, Gen Fu, Lisa, Mila, Kasumi, Jann Lee, Ryu, Zack, Tina
Bayman : Christie, Gen Fu, Tina, Bass, Zack
Brad : Eliot, Kokoro, Zack
Christie : Helena, Brad, Hitomi, Bayman
Eliot : Brad, Gen Fu, Lei Fang
Gen Fu: Ayane, Bass, Ryu, Helena, Zack, Kasumi, Lei Fang, Tina, Bayman
Hayate : Ayane, Ryu, Christie, Brad
Helena : Ryu, Christie, Kokoro, Kasumi, Lei Fang
Hitomi : Hayate, Kokoro, LeiFang, Zack
Jann Lee : Rig, Lei Fang, Ryu, Gen Fu, Bayman
Kasumi : Ayane, Ryu, Helena, Zack
Kokoro : Akira, Ayane, Eliot, Hayate, Hitomi, Helena, Lisa
Lisa : Tina, Bass, Hitomi
Pai : Akira, Sarah, Lei Fang
Lei Fang : Pai, Hitomi, Jann Lee, Tina, Helena
Mila : Tina, Bass
Rig : Bass, Jann Lee
Sarah : Akira, Tina, Pai
Ryu : Ayane, Jann Lee, Hayate, Gen Fu, Bass, Bayman, Tina
Tina : Zack, Mila, Bass, Kasumi, Lisa, Ryu, Sarah, Zack
Zack : Bass, Hitomi, Tina, Lei Fang, Ryu, Bayman

It took me ages to write it using a mobile. XD
Awesome, bump for the new page and thanks. ^_-

DR2K

Banned
Anyone have a list on how to change hairstyles/glasses/etc. at the character select screen when choosing outfits?

Hold left or right on dpad while selecting females and Eliot for glasses

Some costumes have panty color(any costume with panty shots)/bra toggle(Christie's C1)/hat toggle(any character with a hat) all done with L1

Kasumi: L1 for loose hair on R1 for braids
Helena: L1 for loose hair
Leifang: L1 for loose hair

Holding the dpad and l1 will select both glasses and hair/hat option.

Sayah

You're pulling stuff out your ass for that, It's still around 19 or so not counting recolors as well

The reason I put the number at 15 in the first place was for the girls. I'm sorry but a different color of the same bikini is not a whole new bikini

No, it's not just a different color. Many of the females have different designs. Example being Kunimitsu's watermelon bikini or Jaycee's floral bikini. They didn't just fill in different colors and called it a day.

Going through some of the roster:

Ogre, Forest, P.Jack, Kuma, AK, DJ, King, Lei, etc. - Fundoshi
Yoshimitsu - completely different look in Fundoshi
Kunimitsu - Two piece bikinis + Watermelon design
Alex - Unique
Xiaoyu/Panda - School swimsuit - plus polka dot and black and teal designs
Lili - Frilly skirt, two piece bikini
Christie - All three of hers are different designs
Nina - unique + 2 varying designs
Anna - Unique
Roger Jr. - Unique
True Ogre - Unique
Wang/Ganryu - Vintage swimsuits
Asuka - Unique
Alisa - Parero + Mecha design
Leo - Has Surf outfit and bikini shorts
Mokujin - unique
Zafina - unique + tropical design
Julia/Jaycee - unique + Floral design
Jun - Parero - three different designs

So no, you're wrong.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No, it's not just a different color. Many of the females have different designs. Example being Kunimitsu's watermelon bikini or Jaycee's floral bikini. They didn't just fill in different colors and called it a day.

Going through some of the roster:

Ogre, Forest, P.Jack, Kuma, AK, DJ, King, Lei, etc. - Fundoshi
Yoshimitsu - completely different look in Fundoshi
Kunimitsu - Two piece bikinis + Watermelon design
Alex - Unique
Xiaoyu/Panda - School swimsuit - plus polka dot and black and teal designs
Lili - Frilly skirt, two piece bikini
Christie - All three of hers are different designs
Nina - unique + 2 varying designs
Anna - Unique
Roger Jr. - Unique
True Ogre - Unique
Wang/Ganryu - Vintage swimsuits
Asuka - Unique
Alisa - Parero + Mecha design
Leo - Has Surf outfit and bikini shorts
Mokujin - unique
Zafina - unique + tropical design
Julia/Jaycee - unique + Floral design
Jun - Parero - three different designs

So no, you're wrong.
So 20? Your really reaching there for super minor alterations in the same designs. Also Slaping some pretty flowers on the same design is the same as being an alt color. The costume itself is not different.

Sayah

So 20? Your really reaching there for super minor alterations in the same designs. A frilly dress is also not a swimsuit...

LOL, no.
Frilly dress was part of bikini bundle just so you know. And super minor alterations? Nope.

...We have a TTT2 thread, bro. No need to disturb the peace here.

Maybe you should check the comments on this page alone and see how many times TTT2 got mentioned before I came.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Uh, nope.

Nah that's how I normally talk, that's far from me being hostile towards you. I'm just calling you out on the fact that reskins of stuff are not a true alt. Hell a bunch of people complain about it in this thread for a few of the reskins in doa.

And yes those screens do look pretty bad. The console version of TTT2 does NOT look as good as the arcade version. Specially online with some of the visual filler missing. You could post some screens of SC5 and see how many people will say the game looks like ass and it will be few and far between. It looks as good as it can look, but it's not super amazing.

Top Bottom