• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Dantis

So I finally got the DLC last night (Because SCEE put it up a full day later than everyone else) and I'm really impressed, the costumes all look really excellent. Hopefully the next pack will actually have characters that I use.

Sayah

Nah that's how I normally talk, that's far from me being hostile towards you. I'm just calling you out on the fact that reskins of stuff are not a true alt. Hell a bunch of people complain about it in this thread for a few of the reskins in doa.

And yes those screens do look pretty bad. The console version of TTT2 does NOT look as good as the arcade version. Specially online with some of the visual filler missing. You could post some screens of SC5 and see how many people will say the game looks like ass and it will be few and far between.
It's cool. I don't really care for bikinis anyways. Don't even use them for any of the characters I play with, lol.

Squire

Banned
Guys it's what's inside
the bikini
that counts.

Tina wins again.

tina_doa_5_gif_intro_by_kevin4-d5ayzgk.gif

DR2K

Banned
Ironically Tina is one of the characters you'd never want to hold against. Her throw damage is the tits.

Loona

Isn't it funny how everyone makes a big deal over DOA being so chauvanistic and demaning to women and sexist and being male pandering and etc and etc but it's actually really popular with a lot of girls?

That DoA of all games could help save the FGC from its gender issues would be the sweetest twist. Then again again, it might surprise some people that the game's looks have been a factor in keeping the game out of focus in that predominantly male scene. Well, that and not being a Capcom game.

On the outfits thing, I gotta try L1 for Mila's towel outfit, saw someone using it online without the towel.

Dantis

So I was just looking at the sales for P4A, and it sold 140k in its first week, which is bonkers. In the second week though, it dropped to 20k, so basically we just have to see how DOA holds up. Hopefully it'll maintain itself a lot better.

I'm also going to be very interested to see how it sold in the west. I hope it's done well.

Ken

Right now the guide and freestepdodge.com we're still trying to figure this game out. It's a whole new ball game. There is no arcade release and it's been 7 years since the last game, which is mostly irrelevant outside of the triangle system.

It's mostly about mixing up attack heights, so virtually most moves are useful. Your main moves are going to be ones that break guard, grant frame advantage, or have other types of properties such as evading or parrying. The attack data goes into the frame data, tracking, attack height, critcal burst threshold, etc. . .

If anyone wants any advice for a specific character I'll do my best to help out. I'm mainly a Helena player.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to find out about combo properties from in game would I?

I haven't really settled on a character yet. Maybe Kasumi or Hitomi.

I just beat True fighter Survival mode. I got to level 90 plus, 3 times previously and lost them all.
My hands were shaking for the last 10 fights. I think I was lucky to have Bass as a final boss.
I love you Bass! Two difficulties away from Lisas T&A :)

Dantis

As weird as it is that we're discussing body measurements of videogame characters, it's worth pointing out that the old proportions have been thrown completely out the window in DOA5.

DR2K

Banned
I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to find out about combo properties from in game would I?

I haven't really settled on a character yet. Maybe Kasumi or Hitomi.

Yeah go to fight screen info in the start menu and you can turn all that info on for p1 or even p2 side. You can turn move list on as well, and keep it for vs or online vs. Very helpful learning tool.

done with all the other single player BS, do i even want to go thru survival hell? i dunno...

Ive done Champ and True Fighter and Im now doing Master. Ive made it to level 67 on Master and the difficulty seems the same as the other two, which is good news. I would be so happy if Legendary turned out to be the same too.
Whether its worth it or not depends on how badly you want Lisas suit or the Achievement, I guess.
Its boring, frustrating, nerve racking and time consuming. I wouldnt do it for fun.

OSHAN

My initial thoughts for the stages were decent, but the more I play this game, the more I think DOA5 has the best stages yet.

First and foremost, the ones with multiple areas are incredible. I've played Fuel multiple times and last night the action fell into the oil drum area and after a round nearly everything was set aflame and then the sprinkler system activated, dousing all the fires and leaving the fighters soaking wet. Unfortunately it was Hayate versus Jann Lee.

Flow is ridiculous as well, with dislodging the raft and heading towards the waterfall perhaps being my favorite event to trigger, then I remember how awesome it is in Scramble when the steel beams swinging around while explosions are going off left and right.

Some other highlights for me: starting in the Temple of the Dragon and seeing the floor boards crack until you fall through; or, you just get knocked out the window into the courtyard with the cherry blossoms (Sakura). The music changes (and I think Sakura has the best music the game has to offer) and the fight is on, and if you're lucky, you can strike your opponent into the bell. I like the fact the bell isn't center stage, and you can fight in Sakura multiple times and never hit it.

The ambiance is Sanctuary is great as well, and slamming opponents into torches doesn't get old, and of course there's the rolling rock trap. Ends of the Earth is a great winter stage, with ice pillars to break and I'm still not sure if the stage has a bottom; it just kept going and going for me.

Lab has some cool effects and Depth is excellent as well. Home is fun to trash. Boxing ring is a boxing ring, but there's nothing wrong with no frills stages here and there.

Anyway, I'm just duly impressed with the effort that went into the stages.

I just beat True fighter Survival mode. I got to level 90 plus, 3 times previously and lost them all.
My hands were shaking for the last 10 fights. I think I was lucky to have Bass as a final boss.
I love you Bass! Two difficulties away from Lisas T&A :)

nice. any special tactics? i tried hard for a bit and got destroyed at the last couple of fights. gen fu is pissing me off.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My initial thoughts for the stages were decent, but the more I play this game, the more I think DOA5 has the best stages yet.

Not just the best DoA stages but in terms of design and execution, some of the best stages in a 3D fighting game yet. Tons of intricacy in their interactivity.

It's only the hardware limitations of these platforms I think, that gives a first impression they look boring. The change in art style to a more realistic, understated real-world look isn't kind to limited texture memory. So the textures are a bit stretched thin.

I actually enjoy the circus stages more than I would have thought.

In terms of fun for longer fights, Temple of the Dragon and Scramble are favorites.

nice. any special tactics? i tried hard for a bit and got destroyed at the last couple of fights. gen fu is pissing me off.

My strategy with Lisa basically revolves around landing Critical Bursts and the juggling the opponent for close to half their health. I also try to stay away from the electric fence as it screws up my juggle and theres a high chance of me getting smashed against it.
Lisa has given me the best results so far. Speed, power and mobility. I tried Hayabusa spam for a while but couldnt get past level 49.
I havent unlocked Gen Fu yet so I dont have to fight him :p
I wont unlock Alpha until Ive finished all of Survival either, for that same reason.

Skilletor

Not just the best DoA stages but in terms of design and execution, some of the best stages in a 3D fighting game yet. Tons of intricacy in their interactivity.

It's only the hardware limitations of these platforms I think, that gives a first impression they look boring. The change in art style to a more realistic, understated real-world look isn't kind to limited texture memory. So the textures are a bit stretched thin.

I actually enjoy the circus stages more than I would have thought.

In terms of fun for longer fights, Temple of the Dragon and Scramble are favorites.

Temple is really, really cool. I think my favorite stage is flow. I love how you walk across the raft and it dips and bobs with you, all while you see the background rushing past depending on the angle of the camera.

What's crazy to me is how much is going on and how it still maintains the framerate.

Would still kill for this on PC, though.

shiroryu

Temple is really, really cool. I think my favorite stage is flow. I love how you walk across the raft and it dips and bobs with you, all while you see the background rushing past depending on the angle of the camera.

What's crazy to me is how much is going on and how it still maintains the framerate.

Would still kill for this on PC, though.

All this talk of stages makes me want the game now, but delays, delays, delays. Hopefully I'm playing the patched and free-DLCed version :)

I really wish the 3D fighters would come out on PCs as well; the only obstacle is GFWL which is ass. Gabe, get on it pls.

Dantis

I like all the stages except the one with the train. After playing a lot more, I've realised that's the only ugly one, and it seems really out of place.

Most of the stages are fantastic.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
DOA4 is the only one that really holds up. The further back you go, the slower and clunkier they get.

Disagree 2U and 3 are way more fun than 4 and the visuals and gameplay have held up. Surely slower than DOA4 but definitely they play better and more balanced.

Dantis

Disagree 2U and 3 are way more fun than 4 and the visuals and gameplay have held up. Surely slower than DOA4 but definitely they play better and more balanced.

Whilst I was waiting for DOA 5 to come out I loaded up 2U, 3 and 4. 4 was miles more fun. Yes, hold damage is insane etc. etc. But I doubt he's buying it to play at a competitive level. >_>

Vazra

Whilst I was waiting for DOA 5 to come out I loaded up 2U, 3 and 4. 4 was miles more fun. Yes, hold damage is insane etc. etc. But I doubt he's buying it to play at a competitive level. >_>

Hmmm even not in competitive level the others I find them more entertaining. The AI on 4 is ass.

Being faster =/= to more fun. Actually the other games handled things better than 4 by being on the speed they were.

Dantis

Hmmm even not in competitive level the others I find them more entertaining. The AI on 4 is ass.

I went through everyone's stories and had no complaints. I don't remember DOAU having terrific AI either, but I didn't do single player so I can't say for sure.

When was the last time you played them?

Vazra

I went through everyone's stories and had no complaints. I don't remember DOAU having terrific AI either, but I didn't do single player so I can't say for sure.

When was the last time you played them?

I played U2 the week before DOA5 launch. DOA3 has been some months since I went and played it at a friend's house. (Too broke to actually buy it)

What I mean of the AI is that DOA4 people are super psychic while DOA U2 and 3 were more manageable since while they did read your moves it wasnt extreme counter by hit like at some moments on DOA4.

Story Mode stuff on Normal the AI is pretty much alright in all games but you can see the AI cheapness when you go higher

Also all the outfits and Stages in DOA U2 FTW

Vazra

It looks great. DOA4 looks greater.

Honestly, Ultimate and 4 are both worth picking up because they'll be so cheap. Don't bother with 3, because it has a lot less content.

But tighter gameplay than 2 and 4 also by getting 3 you can unlock Hitomi on U2

Dantis

But tighter gameplay than 2 and 4 also by getting 3 you can unlock Hitomi on U2

Surely that's not the only way to unlock her?...

And there's nothing to do on it. Costume unlocks are a chore because they're random drops in survival, and there's only a few anyway.

Top Bottom