• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

hao chi

Sorry, man. I have no interest in running around as school kids doing school day activities. Tried to play P3 twice and the setting got on my nerves the entire time.

I also think the music is horrible. Volume all the way down.

I can usually see the appeal of games even if I don't like them, but I don't get what people like about the series. Aside from the art. That shit is ace.

Woah woah woah. No. Just no.

To be fair though, you probably didn't get far enough in to hear some of the better stuff. I can see how the school and mall music could turn someone off.

Skilletor

Woah woah woah. No. Just no.

To be fair though, you probably didn't get far enough in to hear some of the better stuff. I can see how the school and mall music could turn someone off.

Nawp, maybe not. I played P3P for...4 hours before I decided it just wasn't for me. I tried it twice. Quit around the same time.

P2 is much more interesting to me, but I couldn't handle the incredibly high encounter rate.

I'll try again with P4 on Vita because I feel like I'm missing out on something since it is so popular. Lots of people whose opinion I trust love the games, so...yeah, I'll keep trying. :p

segarr

The music doesn't grate me or anything, it's just so forgettable. I can't remember a single note while not playing the game. Meanwhile I have like most of the DOA2 soundtrack bumping in my head [and mp3 play] a lot.

Anyway, last call for trade I've been trying to find. A ‘DOA Devils’ black bunny swimsuits code for a Gamestop Angel Bunnies swimsuits code. PS3 version.

patapuf

It's strange, i can loose 10 games in a row only to go on a similar winning streak.

Anyway are the new costumes already up on EU PSN? I can't see anything

Also, i agree the music is bland. I don't even hear it anymore.

Make the hoodie purple and give him a hat. Problem solved.
That would be so awesome, ahaha. Though really I'd settle for having the old hoodie back in any form. I like how he wears a Union Jack wristband on one costume, too. They remembered he was British up until they cast his voice actor. And Hitomi? Isn't she from Germany? Tch, at least they got the English VAs for Christie and Helena right.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As far as the DOA 5 soundtrack goes, to me it seems to be largely ambient going with the "realistic" theme of the stages. Where things aren't over exaggerated or game-like but more cluttered and naturalistic. Subdued.

The music in the gym stage is a good example. It's not a track you'd listen to in order to rock out, but it really sets off the feeling of a low key real life neighborhood boxing hall.

It's probably the music for the more stereotypical, fantastical stages which fails the most to match the style of past DOAs.

Het_Nkik

So it's pretty much impossible to get Lisa, Christie and Tina swimsuits, right?

I do decent spamming Ryu's QCB+KK but not well enough where I can win 8 matches without continuing. None of the other spam moves I've read in this thread were working as well as the one I started using on my own.

I don't think I can get good enough to unlock the costumes by actually being good at the game. As a player of mainly 2D fighters it's already really hard trying to adjust to how this game plays.

As far as the DOA 5 soundtrack goes, to me it seems to be largely ambient going with the "realistic" theme of the stages. Where things aren't over exaggerated or game-like but more cluttered and naturalistic. Subdued.

The music in the gym stage is a good example. It's not a track you'd listen to in order to rock out, but it really sets off the feeling of a low key real life neighborhood boxing hall.

It's probably the music for the more stereotypical, fantastical stages which fails the most to match the style of past DOAs.
Great point, I agree.

The music isn't fail all the way around, however. I'm always nodding my head to the online song. I've no idea what the rapper is saying but the beat is ace. Bayman's theme is even more awesome than it was before (probably my favorite in the series). The music is also great for the Home and... Cherry Blossom Temple?... stages. Everything else, though...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

I do decent spamming Ryu's QCB+KK but not well enough where I can win 8 matches without continuing. None of the other spam moves I've read in this thread were working as well as the one I started using on my own.

I don't think I can get good enough to unlock the costumes by actually being good at the game. As a player of mainly 2D fighters it's already really hard trying to adjust to how this game plays.

I got Tina and Christie fairly quick doing Hayabusa 4P+K

Sora_N

Is the "Fight 10 people via invites" trophy easy to get? Am I supposed to BE invited or actually invite, or does it not matter? I have to complete some challenge on a website by tomorrow. If someone wants to help me out with this tonight (in 7-8 hours) please let me know, thanks. :)

akaoni

Banned
Nawp, maybe not. I played P3P for...4 hours before I decided it just wasn't for me. I tried it twice. Quit around the same time.

Not to derail the thread, but I tried Persona 3 at least 4 times and always got a few hours in, more or less your first month with Tartarus, then quit. I played Persona 4 first time without quitting. My obsessive side told me to play Persona 3 before 4, but I would suggest otherwise from my experience, 4 being a much smoother experience in getting you interested and involved. I have since played 3 with success.

Het_Nkik

Alright, I'll try Ryu's Back P+K and Lei Fang's DB P+K tonight. Thanks guys.

I was trying the Tina flip+down grab and Ryu special stance into Forward K as I read earlier in the thread and those weren't doing anything for me.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Alright, I'll try Ryu's Back P+K and Lei Fang's DB P+K tonight. Thanks guys.

I was trying the Tina flip+down grab and Ryu special stance into Forward K as I read earlier in the thread and those weren't doing anything for me.

Christie also seems to worked fine to me with the same input as Hayabusa.

xion4360

OK now im noticing input lag. The match visually runs fine, but just cannot get moves or counter to come out on time. Its really annoying but thankfully its not the majority of fights.

Skilletor

OK now im noticing input lag. The match visually runs fine, but just cannot get moves or counter to come out on time. Its really annoying but thankfully its not the majority of fights.

Yeah, this is why I just shook my head when people were watching streams and saying it "looked' smooth. You can't see input lag, haha.

Not to derail the thread, but I tried Persona 3 at least 4 times and always got a few hours in, more or less your first month with Tartarus, then quit. I played Persona 4 first time without quitting. My obsessive side told me to play Persona 3 before 4, but I would suggest otherwise from my experience, 4 being a much smoother experience in getting you interested and involved. I have since played 3 with success.

Yeah, looking foward to the Vita release. :)

Tina and Christie were easy as fuck

i did one with Hayabusa and the other with Lei-Fang

Hayabusa: 90% spamming 6P+P; 8% 7P,8K, 2% (spacing!!); 7K (get off me!)
Lei-Fang: 99% spamming 3P+K

certain characters can be a pain due to the way the CPU AI plays... Eliot, Akira, Rig, Lisa, Ayane.... UGH!
you would think Lisa would be a pushover, but not when the AI is being a button reading POS

kiryogi

Banned
I think the soundtrack suits the game fine, but it's not something you could listen to stand alone. I think the bigger impression is that this comes right off of Tekken Tag 2, which is really solid and can be stand alone.

branny

I remember turning off the music in a few DOAs (specifically DOA2U) every now and then because the ambient sounds were pretty good. Haven't tried it with this one yet.

Still bummed about the new soundtrack, but it's only because the earlier DOAs had such amazing theme songs. Seriously, Blazed up Melpomene is the first song I customized into TTT2 (the rainy France stage, lol).

I think the soundtrack suits the game fine, but it's not something you could listen to stand alone. I think the bigger impression is that this comes right off of Tekken Tag 2, which is really solid and can be stand alone.
Yeah, TTT2's is incredible (barring only one or two songs). Even the credits theme (Night Falls) is amazing.

Kinyou

I actually like that Showdown track, gets you all hyped up for an online-match, the credits song was really boring though.

Akito

So german PS3 owners wont get the dlc?

Source in German

Wtf is this shit?
(glad I own the box version now, but damn)

Is it at least possible to download the dlc form a foreign PSNstore?
You could always create an UK account and download from there, should be compatible I think.
But pretty weird move I must say, the game is available but not the DLC? Some of the ingame costumes are way more risqué than the lot in the DLC.

Jucksalbe

Banned
But pretty weird move I must say, the game is available but not the DLC? Some of the ingame costumes are way more risqué than the lot in the DLC.

Their logic always was: "You have to be 18 to buy games, but you don't have to be 18 to get free stuff". So it's always the free stuff we're missing out on (mostly demo versions). Sometimes they mark demos as "PS+ only" to circumvent that (recently RE6 and SH Vita for example).

Dantis

P2 is much more interesting to me, but I couldn't handle the incredibly high encounter rate.

I'll try again with P4 on Vita because I feel like I'm missing out on something since it is so popular. Lots of people whose opinion I trust love the games, so...yeah, I'll keep trying. :p

P4 is great, and tonally it's the polar opposite of P3, but it's mechanically the same.

As an aside, I guess Lotus Juice contributing to the DOA5 OST was much less exciting for you if you hate Persona 3's soundtrack? :p

I feel the DOA5 OST is unfairly knocked. Some of the stage songs are actually pretty good, like Polluted Air, and some of the cutscene stuff is good too, like The Storied Journey of The Boy and The Drunk and the Main Theme. The three Lotus Juice tracks are also really excellent.

Akito

Their logic always was: "You have to be 18 to buy games, but you don't have to be 18 to get free stuff". So it's always the free stuff we're missing out on (mostly demo versions). Sometimes they mark demos as "PS+ only" to circumvent that (recently RE6 and SH Vita for example).
It would make sense (well sort of) if the game was 18+ but it isn't. Or do we usually miss out free DLCs for games that aren't 18+?

Skilletor

P4 is great, and tonally it's the polar opposite of P3, but it's mechanically the same.

As an aside, I guess Lotus Juice contributing to the DOA5 OST was much less exciting for you if you hate Persona 3's soundtrack? :p

I don't even know who Lotus Juice is. :p

Dantis

There's 3?

False Fate and I'm A Fighter have him in them, and he wrote Let's Get It.

I don't even know who Lotus Juice is. :p

He's a rapper who is most well known for his work on the Persona games (Though he doesn't write that music, he only does the vocals). In DOA 5 he was hired to write three tracks for the game.

Here he is in Persona 3

And here he is in DOA5

The second I saw the trailer I realised it was him, and flipped my shit.

Mesharey

Character : Tag partners
Alpha : none
Akira : Kokoro, Pai, Sarah
Ayane : Hayate, Kasumi, Ryu, Jann Lee
Bass : Ayane, Bayman, Rig, Gen Fu, Lisa, Mila, Kasumi, Jann Lee, Ryu, Zack, Tina
Bayman : Christie, Gen Fu, Tina, Bass, Zack
Brad : Eliot, Kokoro, Zack
Christie : Helena, Brad, Hitomi, Bayman
Eliot : Brad, Gen Fu, Lei Fang
Gen Fu: Ayane, Bass, Ryu, Helena, Zack, Kasumi, Lei Fang, Tina, Bayman
Hayate : Ayane, Ryu, Christie, Brad
Helena : Ryu, Christie, Kokoro, Kasumi, Lei Fang
Hitomi : Hayate, Kokoro, LeiFang, Zack
Jann Lee : Rig, Lei Fang, Ryu, Gen Fu, Bayman
Kasumi : Ayane, Ryu, Helena, Zack
Kokoro : Akira, Ayane, Eliot, Hayate, Hitomi, Helena, Lisa
Lisa : Tina, Bass, Hitomi
Pai : Akira, Sarah, Lei Fang
Lei Fang : Pai, Hitomi, Jann Lee, Tina, Helena
Mila : Tina, Bass
Rig : Bass, Jann Lee
Sarah : Akira, Tina, Pai
Ryu : Ayane, Jann Lee, Hayate, Gen Fu, Bass, Bayman, Tina
Tina : Zack, Mila, Bass, Kasumi, Lisa, Ryu, Sarah, Zack
Zack : Bass, Hitomi, Tina, Lei Fang, Ryu, Bayman

It took me ages to write it using a mobile. XD

xion4360

There's something strange, Bass can be a partner with Ayane, but if you choose Ayane first then they're not partners ?! :/

I think hes just listing characters with special throws. Technically you can pick any character, but only some combinations have a throw and/or intro/win pose.

Akito

How am I supposed to do the Rekkuga move with Kasumi? Is there any other way to get into the Hoshinpo state than P+K and either right or left button? Cause every other Hoshinpo moves were registered just fine but not Rekkuga.

Sora_N

Is there something wrong with my internet or something?

I remember why I stopped playing MvC, I could never find matches.

Tried to join lobby, didn't work. Tried to do rank match, no opponent. Tried simple match, nothing.

Mesharey

Is there something wrong with my internet or something?

I remember why I stopped playing MvC, I could never find matches.

Tried to join lobby, didn't work. Tried to do rank match, no opponent. Tried simple match, nothing.
Check your NAT type.

Akito

Thanks but somehow I randomly got it right as I was button mashing out of frustration, I believe H+K and either left or right has done the trick lol
Now I'm stuck with Lei Fang's Unshu stance, any tips?
EDIT: well, never mind that, Lei Fang's training completed. It was 4H+K by the way.

Mesharey

Thanks but somehow I randomly got it right as I was button mashing out of frustration, I believe H+K and either left or right has done the trick lol
Now I'm stuck with Lei Fang's Unshu stance, any tips?
I'm not sure, but I think it's one of her first moves, if you punch and then press back ?

Sora_N

Hmm well I got one ranked match in, somehow I got booted from the match during round 2... Then I 'lose' and go to the winning screen of the other person, and it goes to a loading screen. My game also froze from me quitting arcade mode. I honestly never had so many issues with a game before. I like this game but just not having luck with it today.

If anyone is available sometime in the next few hours (and my game works), I'd appreciate it if you can help me get the 10 invite matches trophy (PS3).

Loona

I'm surprised that that list lacks Kasumi/Hayate either way...

Are there plans to add to the OP a list with the amout of unlockable outfits per character, or a lunk to a page or post with that? It came up a few times in the topic, but it's still tricky to find with so many pages. It'd also make it simpler to work on the related titles.

The news that the game's outselling TTT2 are interesting, but I seriously hope boobs aren't the (interpreted) reason, it'd be a mess on the commendable efforts to tone that down and hurt the genre in general IMO...
With the comments and factoids hinting at DoA being the more popular FG among women, I wonder if that actually helped it get twice the sales most FGs could hope for... far-fetched as it may be...

Well, it's also been longer without real sequels for longer and has actual plot plus crossover characters, while TTT2 shares a console generation with T6 and SFxT and is a mostly plotless variant with a competitive focus aimed at series fans, since the cast covers the whole series, including former NPCs.

I'd love to see a study on this, but if there's one, the industry will likely keep it close to its chest...

Top Bottom