• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Effect

Sorry if this was commented on before. If you pick up the game now you've pretty much lost out on the costumes that have already come out? Or do you still get them?

angelfly

Effect said:
Sorry if this was commented on before. If you pick up the game now you've pretty much lost out on the costumes that have already come out? Or do you still get them?
The cycle is going to repeat so you'll have a second chance at everything you missed.

ROFL Hayashi's got a scrubby Ryu. I schooled him on proper Hayabusa ass-kicking really fast.

Game's a lot of fun, though I wish it did have a time attack-type mode that didn't have preset routes with the same characters, wanted something more like the older ones. Also, online sucks pretty bad in terms of lag from what I've played.

Take these numbers with a grain of salt, they're from the Japanese guide I got recently and only an opinion of the whoever wrote the guide.

doad_guide_strengths.png

Or you could just hold block. It's a lot safer and your best option since you can't sidestep projectiles in this game since so much shit tracks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is everyone else playing their game each day to get the DLC or leaving their 3DS in sleep mode? I worry about wasting the battery or electricity lol.

Trojita said:
Is everyone else playing their game each day to get the DLC or leaving their 3DS in sleep mode? I worry about wasting the battery or electricity lol.
The way the 3ds is designed it makes more sense to leave it in sleep mode all the time and never turn it off.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Mine is always on sleep mode and in the cradle if it's not with me. Hadn't fired up DOA in a week till today, then watched it unlock all the costumes from the past week on boot.

Effect

angelfly said:
The cycle is going to repeat so you'll have a second chance at everything you missed.

So just one more time or will it be a on a constant release loop? Was curious about this in regards to Samurai Warriors Chronicles as well since that has been getting DLC the same way.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just got it today(had some points on my loyalty card for gamestation and some points on a trade-in card), loving it so far, though wish there was a normal arcade mode, as well..
game looks awesome in motion, noticing the frame drop when the slider is turned up to full..love it so far though..

.with this SSFIV, (hopefulling coming out in the UK) Blazblue & Tekken the 3DS is getting a few nice fighters too add to it's lineup..still hoping MvC3 comes out as well for it

Skilletor

Trojita said:

I haven't turned my 3DS off since I bought it.

Cheska

This is my very first time playing a Dead or Alive game. ever. Is the story mode supposed to be easy? I'm on chapter 3 so far and I've only died once. The combos are much more fluid and easier to pull off than on SSFIV 3D.

Ninja Dom

In the UK we just got a new costume for Ryu Hyabusa. It's another unmasked costume. Ryu isn't too concerned with hiding his identity in the Dead or Alive games.

I hope that when Team Ninja unmask him in Ninja Gaiden 3 they make him look like he does in DOA Dimensions.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Cheska said:
This is my very first time playing a Dead or Alive game. ever. Is the story mode supposed to be easy? I'm on chapter 3 so far and I've only died once. The combos are much more fluid and easier to pull off than on SSFIV 3D.

Chronicles mode is new for the series, and basically amounts to one massive tutorial. So it never gets too hard.

Dimensions is a bit weird in that it has a lot of pre-defined single player "courses" in each of its modes and most of 'em are not too hard. It doesn't allow you to set the difficulty for them or such.

maeda

Who thought that it was a good fucking idea to have super long cutscenes in a fighting game? Chronicle mode is like a joke... seriously. It gets fucking frustrating. I regret my purchase, should've have gone with Steel Diver instead.

Giolon

Christie's outfit today is awesome! I was also stoked to see Leifang's DOA1 outfit show up last week.

maeda said:
Who thought that it was a good fucking idea to have super long cutscenes in a fighting game? Chronicle mode is like a joke... seriously. It gets fucking frustrating. I regret my purchase, should've have gone with Steel Diver instead.

Don't want cutscenes? Play Free Play then, set it to random. Infinite Arcade mode. Boom done.

I happen to really like Chronicle mode for condensing down the stories of all four DOA games into something that's almost coherent.

Pimpbaa

Axkil aka StabMasterArson said:
I know what you mean, she's hot....and her new costume is hot.

Yeah her best costume yet. I love the DLC and it's delivery method, I hope they plan on doing it again some time down the round.

Giolon

Smiles and Cries said:
also how do I get DLC?

Hook your 3DS up to the Internet. Then just wait (sometimes hours, it pulls data periodically - it's known as SpotPass). You should get a Blue SpotPass notification on the game cartridge icon on your screen.

TeamNinja is giving out 1 DLC costume per day and 1 Developer ThrowDown match per week. This is the final week of the costume DLC, but it's going to repeat once, starting next week. It lasts approximately a month.

I just wish the Chronicle mode had some kind of difficulty to it, maybe increasing slowly. And I wouldn't call Free Play an arcade mode at all because if you lose against an enemy, you don't keep fighting the enemy until you win, and the difficulty doesn't continue going up until a boss fight. I really wish the game had a normal arcade mode; it's like they designed the game with only two things in mind: tell the stories of the first four games, and have online gameplay. Everything else is just filler.

I thought it saved when you accepted a SpotPass Throwdown, so you couldn't redo it no matter what. But after Jann Lee handed my ass to me (god he's annoying to fight), I powered off before the "Winner" screen, and on coming back, the Throwdown was still there. (And then I beat his Bruce Lee-wannabe screeching face into the ground.) Wish I'd known that would work, now the only Throwdown I've failed so far was the very first one. I hope they get repeated like the costume DLC, because I'd hate to eventually have every figure unlocked but one.

I like this game, but it annoys me how a handful of moves just take off gigantic chunks of your life bar, without really being that much more "open" or dangerous to the user.

One other question: playing Tag Mode with the AI... am I accidentally telling it I want it to tag in sometimes, or is it just literally deciding to pop in whenever it feels like? The manual didn't really say, and it gets really annoying when you're focuing on doing a combo, then suddenly the AI steps in mid-string.

Oh, was the secret character mentioned in the SpotPass notice this week common knowledge? I don't have everyone unlocked yet, so I can't test it.

Giolon said:
Hook your 3DS up to the Internet. Then just wait (sometimes hours, it pulls data periodically - it's known as SpotPass). You should get a Blue SpotPass notification on the game cartridge icon on your screen.

TeamNinja is giving out 1 DLC costume per day and 1 Developer ThrowDown match per week. This is the final week of the costume DLC, but it's going to repeat once, starting next week. It lasts approximately a month.

Okay thanks got a black leather Christy costume

can someone tell me how to take phtos in game?

Smiles and Cries said:
Okay thanks got a black leather Christy costume

can someone tell me how to take phtos in game?

You have to go into the Showcase from the main menu. You pick which level you want to take photos in (I think it's the X button), then the figure you want. It explains itself pretty well from there. It tracks your movements and angle, sort of like the view on the Main Menu of the stage it loads up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
grap3fruitman said:
It's not a DOA4 match but here's probably my favorite video for show-casing DOA3.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YT_6ca8pX0

Here's some examples of the spacing you see in DOA4 as a result of all your moves leaving you at a negative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zWeZaSi1k and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mzWGHu_us&feature=related

The first 4 video is bad. Lot of glitching. But sweet jesus at the second, is DoA4 REALLY THAT FAST? I don't ever recall it being that speedy.

3.1's Ayane seems to have a lot of evasive action than I've seen. Neat to see her roll through Helena and mix-up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man those last Tag Match Challenges took forever.

I can't seem to unlock all of the characters and costumes though.

ToD_

DoctorWho said:
WTF. Anyone else just get a spot pass about a hidden 26th character - Shiden!?
Yes, I did. Haven't tried it yet, though. Still have to unlock one character.

Happy about the new Christie costume

DoctorWho said:
Game keeps on giving.
You could have played as him prior to the notification.

TheSeks said:
The first 4 video is bad. Lot of glitching. But sweet jesus at the second, is DoA4 REALLY THAT FAST? I don't ever recall it being that speedy.
Something is wrong with those videos but they weren't like that when I originally posted them.

TheSeks said:
3.1's Ayane seems to have a lot of evasive action than I've seen. Neat to see her roll through Helena and mix-up.
I really wish I could play some 3.1 with people. =(

Izayoi

Banned
Picked this up along with OoT for Target's half-price promotion.

I look forward to playing it after I beat OoT.

At least now I know how to see Shiden's 3rd costume

And something has been bugging me for a while and involves the game's Throwdown Challenge and the SP Mii Plaza

On Sunday, I was at a Gamestop for a StreetPass event being held for the release of OoT. I managed to get my 2nd Throwdown Challenge against a regular player and not someone who works for Tecmo/Team Ninja

But for some odd reason, the person I played against in the Throwdown Challenge didn't show up in the Mii Plaza. And it happened the first time I did a Throwdown Challenge against a regular player.

Has this happened to anyone else? I would like to think the only reason it happened to me is because on both occasions, I had the game card in the system

lazybones18 said:
At least now I know how to see Shiden's 3rd costume

And something has been bugging me for a while and involves the game's Throwdown Challenge and the SP Mii Plaza

On Sunday, I was at a Gamestop for a StreetPass event being held for the release of OoT. I managed to get my 2nd Throwdown Challenge against a regular player and not someone who works for Tecmo/Team Ninja

But for some odd reason, the person I played against in the Throwdown Challenge didn't show up in the Mii Plaza. And it happened the first time I did a Throwdown Challenge against a regular player.

Has this happened to anyone else? I would like to think the only reason it happened to me is because on both occasions, I had the game card in the system
It's possible that the person you got the Throwdown from did not enable streetpass for mii plaza.

Trojita said:
Yeah :lol

It also seemed like they dropped Ayane's top a little.

They've been doing the hard nipples thing since DOAX2. I was surprised to see it myself when I first found that picture, but it doesn't really surprise me.

Top Bottom