• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

P90

I have had some smooth as silk online matches and some so laggy it took like 5 seconds to input a strike. To be honest though it could have been due to me being far from my router 'cause those were the times I had lag.

Tecmo/koei have the best games on the 3ds, scw and doa:d.

ShockingAlberto said:
The AI apparently does not know how to fight AI Genra.

It will just stand there while Genra pelts it with projectiles.
I had someone spam Genra's projectiles from across the screen. Couldn't side step it and it was too fast to close the distance in between shots. If I started dashing I'd end up having to block and I get pushed back further. How do you do it?

To Far Away Times said:
I had someone spam Genra's projectiles from across the screen. Couldn't side step it and it was too fast to close the distance in between shots. If I started dashing I'd end up having to block and I get pushed back further. How do you do it?

You're safest bet: Go straight up to Genra at the start of the match and unleash punches and kicks. Don't stop and don't even think about grabbing him. Get him to the fire as quickly as possible. If he attacks, do your best to pull off a close range counter. Sometimes if your AI partner is in and takes a couple of hits that push him farther away from Genra, it's possible that if you tag in, you'll be put in a spot that's closer to Genra's position

lazybones18 said:
You're safest bet: Go straight up to Genra at the start of the match and unleash punches and kicks. Don't stop and don't even think about grabbing him. Get him to the fire as quickly as possible. If he attacks, do your best to pull off a close range counter. Sometimes if your AI partner is in and takes a couple of hits that push him farther away from Genra, it's possible that if you tag in, you'll be put in a spot that's closer to Genra's position
What about in an online situation? Is Genra legit or is he pretty much a cheese ball?

Skilletor

To Far Away Times said:
What about in an online situation? Is Genra legit or is he pretty much a cheese ball?

Too early to tell, but I am worried about spammers.

What about an aerial move? Or one of the ninjas teleports? Perhaps Kasumi's special counter?

TheSeks said:
You have videos of those matches? I haven't honestly seen a competitive DOA match in any of the games, so I'm curious how "pro" players would play it.
It's not a DOA4 match but here's probably my favorite video for show-casing DOA3.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YT_6ca8pX0

Here's some examples of the spacing you see in DOA4 as a result of all your moves leaving you at a negative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zWeZaSi1k and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mzWGHu_us&feature=related

Ninja Dom said:
Subscribe to DOAUMASTER's YouTube channel. He's heavily into the game, helps run and organise Dead or Alive tournaments, runs a Dead or Alive fansite and was even invited by Team Ninja to go to Japan to play DOA Dimensions on 3DS a few months before launch.
Do not do what this man says. Master is probably the last person to actually "promote" DOA and has consistently lost against actual top players. http://shoryuken.com/2011/05/28/the-story-of-doa-politics-corruption-and-trash/

I just watched the last three videos. I can see where Tom Brady is coming from, but the video seems a little too long winded, bitter and petty (spending too much time on the personal attacks instead of the legitimate b.s.). There is obviously merit in the politics or how certain organizations wouldn't invite top players like Perfect Legend, etc to their tournaments.

Wizpig said:
Bought the game today, did they really put Kasumi's age to "Unknown" because of all that pedo argument?
As I recall, the ages of Kasumi and Ayane have always been '???', or at least they were in the first two games. I don't actually know when their ages became known.

Kagami

The Japanese releases have ages for Kokoro, Kasumi, Ayane.
The foreign releases (dunno if it's everywhere outside Japan or maybe just outside Asia) don't.
But it's always been that way; not a new thing for the 3DS.

To Far Away Times said:
Piece of piss and it feels great destroying spammers!!

For Genra, just Hold his projectiles. High Hold for the fireball and Mid Hold for both the lightning attack and whirlwind. If you're up close when you Hold, you'll counter attack them and if you're far away you'll be free to move in on them as they finish off their attack animation.

Same applies to Ryu spammers - Mid Hold his fireball and move in; sidestep his annoying magic disappearing throw when they spam that.

farnham

Banned
I beat all tag team challenges but i just cant beat 100 man survival

shiden
at the end is just way to strong

farnham said:

shiden

Let him rush in to you and get him with a high kick or combo. Ryu, Lei Fang and Ayane have great high kick combos that have great range. The AI mostly doesn't anticipate you setting up that trap.

Ninja Dom

farnham said:

shiden
Same. I get as far as you but it's myself that let's me down.

When I know I've only got four fights to go I start getting nervous and panicking.

Still haven't bought this game yet... should I?

I keep hearing great things about it, and also keep hearing how this game sucks.

I'm heavily into Soul Calibur, and enjoyed DOA3. I've become more of a casual player in DOA now (I can barely remember any moves, really).

I'm really digging the graphics, but remembering some of the frustrations I had against CPU drove me to stop playing DOA games altogether.

Would I just be asking for punishment if I did buy this game?

Skilletor

radiantdreamer said:

I keep hearing great things about it, and also keep hearing how this game sucks.

I'm heavily into Soul Calibur, and enjoyed DOA3. I've become more of a casual player in DOA now (I can barely remember any moves, really).

I'm really digging the graphics, but remembering some of the frustrations I had against CPU drove me to stop playing DOA games altogether.

AI in this game is ridiculously stupid. I haven't had any problems at all, in any mode, and there is no option for setting the difficulty level.

It's fun. Online is decent. Depends on why you enjoyed past DoA games, I guess.

Skilletor[B said:
]AI in this game is ridiculously stupid[/B]. I haven't had any problems at all, in any mode, and there is no option for setting the difficulty level.

It's fun. Online is decent. Depends on why you enjoyed past DoA games, I guess.

For some dumb reason Team Ninja only allows you to change the settings(difficulty, rounds, time) in free play mode. Set the COM and stages to random and you can pretend like your playing the arcade

but if you like unlocking everything in the game, the fact that all the other modes are limited to one round makes unlocking go faster

Bizzyb

Banned
radiantdreamer said:

It's easy enough that you could probably just button mash and get through 80% of the game's content.

However, the tag challenges are tough, as are a few of the other higher level modes. In any event you can at least play in "Free Play" mode to set the difficulty, number of rounds, amount of health and time.

RpgN

radiantdreamer said:

You're going to love it. The people that say it sucks are usually the ones that aren't casual players and not happy with some changes in comparison to DoA3 and 2. It's a fine game, its rules are at fault to some fans. Personally I think it's much better than DoA4, it's closer to DoA3 and 2 (Ultimate) but those 2 games still look better and feel a bit better.

EDIT

Oh, and it's super easy. I remember Alpha-152 was very annoying in DoA4, but now she's so easy. Along with all the others on Chronicles Mode really. Not sure about the other modes since I haven't tried them yet, but you can adjust the difficulty with Free Mode.

Skilletor

RpgN said:
You're going to love it. The people that say it sucks are usually the ones that aren't casual players and not happy with some changes in comparison to DoA3 and 2. It's a fine game, its rules are at fault to some fans. Personally I think it's much better than DoA4, it's closer to DoA3 and 2 (Ultimate) but those 2 games still look better and feel a bit better.

How is it close to DoA3? lol...Some people don't like that they changed some stuff from DoA 2 and 3, but it's still like those games.

The biggest similarity is the 3 point counters, but that's about it. It's DoA4 with 3 counters instead of 4.

NEO0MJ

RpgN said:
Oh, and it's super easy. I remember Alpha-152 was very annoying in DoA4, but now she's so easy. Along with all the others on Chronicles Mode really. Not sure about the other modes since I haven't tried them yet, but you can adjust the difficulty with Free Mode.

I don't know how she played in 4, but I blame the float she does after combos. Also, I only got the game two days ago and only have to of the DLC costumes, anyway to get the rest?

NEO0MJ said:
I don't know how she played in 4, but I blame the float she does after combos. Also, I only got the game two days ago and only have to of the DLC costumes, anyway to get the rest?

Don't worry, all the DLC costumes will go through a repeat process starting at the end of June. So whatever you missed, you'll have a chance to get again soon

RpgN

Skilletor said:
How is it close to DoA3? lol...Some people don't like that they changed some stuff from DoA 2 and 3, but it's still like those games.

The biggest similarity is the 3 point counters, but that's about it. It's DoA4 with 3 counters instead of 4.

I wasn't talking about the gameplay being that different when I mentioned close to DoA3, I just meant to me personally it reminded me more of those games in a positive way overall. DoA4 gave me a negative vibe and this brought me back to the series. I think there is a person here that keeps saying how shit it is (along with DoA4) for punishing players who go all offensive, and all those slight balances that he's annoyed about.

And uhm...you sound contradicting, is it like those games or not to you?

NEO0MJ said:

She was deadly. She had a move that took around 50% of your health, it's still in Dimensions but it's less damaging. She would also teleport constantly and counter most moves, she was more annoying. Now she's just standing there and waiting for you to hit her.

Yes, you can get all the costumes you missed somewhere in June, the dates are going to be given soon. So far, it sounds like the only chance you can get them.

Skilletor

RpgN said:
I wasn't talking about the gameplay being that different when I mentioned close to DoA3, I just meant to me personally it reminded me more of those games in a positive way overall. DoA4 gave me a negative vibe and this brought me back to the series. I think there is a person here that keeps saying how shit it is (along with DoA4) for punishing players who go all offensive, and all those slight balances that he's annoyed about.

And uhm...you sound contradicting, is it like those games or not to you?

No, just paraphrasing what you said. I'm enjoying the game because for a handheld fighter there isn't much competition on that front.

Compared to other entries in the series, its gameplay is closest to DoA4. I don't see why anybody who disliked DoA4 would like this game since they play similarly. I like it because, as I said earlier, I have different expectations of a handheld fighter than I do a console fighter. I'm never going to take this game seriously on a competitive level, so I can have fun. But it is definitely DoA4 on portable.

Beat the Throwdown! Nearly didn't make it when I was the one knocked off the roof in the last round, but I scratched by.

What did the first week's figure unlock look like? Do you think we'll get a repeat of the challenges, like the costumes?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DR2K said:
I could not disagree more.

SSF4 feels like a "smooth" 30FPS when I play it online. DOAD can be all over the place in some matches. I play online using an 802.11n connection and generally get smooth connections in other titles.

And then you also have the lack of options and rematching. It's just not as good online. Good enough that it's not stopping me from playing the game, but in need of improvements that will likely never come.

Skilletor said:
Just beat the Tina/Natsumi throwdown. Got a bayman and tina figure, but not sure which ones.

Pretty sure the Tina one is the one at the very bottom of the list, in the black cat outfit with Lisa riding on her shoulders. (They don't look very happy though, so maybe she's in the process of being thrown.)

NateDrake

I really like how Tecmo is handling the SpotPass stuff. I love the weekly Throwdown challenges. Wish they would hold more than they are planning but all good things must come to an end.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
lazybones18 said:
New Throwdown Challenge today for NA owners

For the rest, did you beat Tina?
I suck ass at the game, and I beat Tina. Do throwdown challengers disappear after you fight them? I lost the first one against Kasumi. :(

DR2K

Banned
radiantdreamer said:

It's an amazing game with tons of content and depth for players of all ranges. Easily the best looking game for the 3DS.

thetrin said:
I suck ass at the game, and I beat Tina. Do throwdown challengers disappear after you fight them? I lost the first one against Kasumi. :(

Yep, and unfortunately, it doesn't look like they'll be repeated after the first run but we'll have to wait and see

kiryogi

Banned
Woo today's DLC is a 2nd Kokoro outfit and it's her default from DoA4. I guess slowly but surely we'll get most of the outfits they had in DoA4, just not the variations however.

On a different note, started DoA4 back up again, definitely not feeling it as much as DoAD, but still trucking along as it's a better means for local matchup practice.

DR2K

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
SSF4 feels like a "smooth" 30FPS when I play it online. DOAD can be all over the place in some matches. I play online using an 802.11n connection and generally get smooth connections in other titles.

And then you also have the lack of options and rematching. It's just not as good online. Good enough that it's not stopping me from playing the game, but in need of improvements that will likely never come.

DOAD is a smooth 60fbs with the right person, SSF always felt cumbersome, although it probably had to do with the fact that the controls just didn't really work. I do friend matches and it lets you customize round, damage, tag or single, rematch options, etc. . . I made thread in the community section for friend matches. Although I do wish there was a rematch option for ranked.

Chorazin

Got my ass whipped my the SpotPass Throwdown. How nice that they chose a stage that does massive damage on falls and throws, then picked Tina. I loved getting chucked off the side for 50% damage, and then into an explosive box.

beje

Banned
For those complaining about not-so-smooth online matches, always remember to check the connection meter on the top right corner of the bottom screen the moment it asks you to confirm the match. Anything under two bars should be rejected.

By the way, I'm starting to get tired of Tactile Hayabushas. I always reject matches with people having it as favorite as they're cheap bastards spamming the projectile attack 90% of the times.

Skilletor

beje said:
For those complaining about not-so-smooth online matches, always remember to check the connection meter on the top right corner of the bottom screen the moment it asks you to confirm the match. Anything under two bars should be rejected.

By the way, I'm starting to get tired of Tactile Hayabushas. I always reject matches with people having it as favorite as they're cheap bastards spamming the projectile attack 90% of the times.

You just counter it mid. That shouldn't be a worry. It takes forever to charge up and is super easy to counter. /confused

DR2K said:
DOAD is a smooth 60fbs with the right person, SSF always felt cumbersome, although it probably had to do with the fact that the controls just didn't really work. I do friend matches and it lets you customize round, damage, tag or single, rematch options, etc. . . I made thread in the community section for friend matches. Although I do wish there was a rematch option for ranked.

Ah, the way the lobbies are labeled is very confusing. I thought "Friend" was a match for friends, not unranked. I'll start playing that since I don't really care about a letter.

beje

Banned
Skilletor said:
You just counter it mid. That shouldn't be a worry. It takes forever to charge up and is super easy to counter. /confused

Yeah, I know how to counter it. But it doesn't stop being annoying. I have just fought 4 different people in a row using that cheap strategy before starting to reject them automatically.

Chorazin said:
Got my ass whipped my the SpotPass Throwdown. How nice that they chose a stage that does massive damage on falls and throws, then picked Tina. I loved getting chucked off the side for 50% damage, and then into an explosive box.
I beat Tina with Christie in two quick rounds. S Rank... pfft.

Skilletor

beje said:
Yeah, I know how to counter it. But it doesn't stop being annoying. I have just fought 4 different people in a row using that cheap strategy before starting to reject them automatically.

How is it "cheap," exactly? It's easy to deal with. That they're able to charge it up at all means you're doing something wrong.

beje

Banned
Skilletor said:
How is it "cheap," exactly? It's easy to deal with. That they're able to charge it up at all means you're doing something wrong.

Well, it's cheap because it's easy to use and makes matches boring and predictable.

Skilletor

beje said:
Well, it's cheap because it's easy to use and makes matches boring and predictable.

We have very different definitions of cheap. I'd just say if you're looking for competition, ignoring Hayabusa is a bad way of doing that. He's one of the better characters. I personally enjoy crushing single minded players. It doesn't take long, especially on normal life, and maybe I'll run into a good player. If I thought your way, I'd have stopped playing a long time ago since the vast majority of people I've run into don't do anything but mid counter as soon as they're stunned, which just leads to me throwing them every time for big damage.

Top Bottom