• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive is always broken.

I hope Ultimate is different. Im tired of this series getting super marks for pushing a broken fighting system. first game Counters are too easy, next installment they do too much damage but are 'harder to do', next game the counters seem 'ok', but the single player AI is absolute ass, which is par for the course in the series.

Will Ultimate be the Ultimate package?

maskrider

MrAngryFace said:
I hope Ultimate is different. Im tired of this series getting super marks for pushing a broken fighting system. first game Counters are too easy, next installment they do too much damage but are 'harder to do', next game the counters seem 'ok', but the single player AI is absolute ass, which is par for the course in the series.

Don't expect too much fighting with AI, your only hope is the Live! portion.

DOA is about bouncing tids and flashy graphics (speaking as a DOA fan), not really about fighting.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MrAngryFace said:

Oh boy here we go... expect all the "but we like it cause it's easier to jump in an play" defenders to come for your ass.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
not that it isn't ever a legitimate complaint, but bitching about single-player A.I. in a fighting game always strikes me as kind of ... useless or redundant. i think the only good A.I. i've ever seen in a fighting game has been VF4... but i can't remember. it's a little bit like complaining about the lack of a story in Q3:A.

Tabris

Azih said:
It's a great party fighter. Nothing more, Nothing less.

DOA isn't a party fighter (if by party fighter, you mean something like Smash Bros)

It's to be compared (and owned) by Virtua Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Even if it was to be considered a party fighter, it would be owned by games like Smash Bros.

WarPig

Tabris said:
DOA is trash. Graphic whores and casuals need only apply.

The gals' heads have to be at least twice their current size to turn this kid on.

VF4 had king-hell awesome single-player AI, Guilty Gear XX had some pretty decent challenges as well, although sometimes it was just a matter of figuring out what to exploit.

With Ultimate, online competition is the point of it all I think combined with the tougher reversal commands it'll work out alright.

DFS.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DOA is for folks who think they are too 'mature' to play Smash Bros. but don't have the time, interest, inclination, intelligence, or (insert your own term) to learn how to really play a quality fighter.

RiZ III

Whether or not DOA games are broken or not, they're a hell of a lot of fun. DOA2 was the first 3d fighter I actually enjoyed since VF2. Theyre easy to pick up, faster than any good 3d fighter i know of, got mutli tiered levels, and the moves are cool.

maskrider

DarienA said:
DOA is for folks who think they are too 'mature' to play Smash Bros. but don't have the time, interest, inclination, intelligence, or (insert your own term) to learn how to really play a quality fighter.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... making excuses for myself to play DOA. (may be my age problem, heh!).

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
Oh boy here we go... expect all the "but we like it cause it's easier to jump in an play" defenders to come for your ass.
Naw, MAF'll just counter with BR > DOA for fun kinetic accessable "VF lite" fighting. :)

DarienA said:
SSB actually has a more indepth engine and mechanics than DOA, despite being superficially limited by it's moveset comparably. A newbie has a much better chance of winning against a seasoned player in DOA over SSB.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't believe people still play games just because they have animated boobies in them... I thought we were all "mature" and "past that stage".

maskrider

djtiesto said:
I can't believe people still play games just because they have animated boobies in them... I thought we were all "mature" and "past that stage".

No, more and more are coming. e.g. Runble Rose WWX. :D

akascream

Banned
Counters are supposed to be easy. I don't understand why rock-paper-scissors is so hard for some people to grasp. I'd much rather match wits in a game of strategy than count frames.

WarPig

enjoy bell woods said:
What if some people simply find the game fun????

Then they should be strapped into a chair Clockwork Orange-style with FAQ pages running on a slideshow in front of them until they wake up as rabid Street Fighter III advocates.

DFS.

belgurdo

Banned
enjoy bell woods said:

WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENJOY FIGHTING GAMES UNLESS RICKY ORTIZ OR ALEX VALLE HAS RUBBED ASHES AND HOLY WATER ON THE DISC, OR IF IT REQUIRES A TEXTBOOK TO LEARN

Gattsu25

Banned
belgurdo said:
WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENJOY FIGHTING GAMES UNLESS RICKY ORTIZ OR ALEX VALLE HAS RUBBED ASHES AND HOLY WATER ON THE DISC, OR IF IT REQUIRES A TEXTBOOK TO LEARN

admit it. you liek teh barbie boobie

COCKLES

being watched
Huge bouncing Kasumi titties that you can run your tounge up against on the screen like a REAL GIRL. WHO IS REALLY THERE. LETTING YOU TOUNGE HER ORBS OF MAGIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gameplay.

WarPig

COCKLES said:
Huge bouncing Kasumi titties that you can run your tounge up against on the screen like a REAL GIRL. WHO IS REALLY THERE. LETTING YOU TOUNGE HER ORBS OF MAGIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gameplay.

I can also endorse this viewpoint.

DFS.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dave Long said:
I've got the real life boobs covered. I'm not ashamed to say it's fun to look at animated ones too.

treadmill.gif

+
bunnyonabike.jpg

nitewulf

enjoy bell woods said:

they are not gamers, because the rest of us have moved past and only play "mature" and "deep" games.

didn't you get the memo?

RiZ III

People keep saying DOA has bouncy boobs. And see thats the problem right there, the game doesn't have bouncy boobs. Real boobs bounce much more than they do in that game. DOA needs better boob physics.

edit: well, doa 1 had a lot of bouncage, but a bit exagerated. Im talking about doa2/3/x

maskrider

In terms of bouncing boobies, Silent Hill 4 (with Eileen's nurse costume) and Taki (in default red costume) in Soul Calibur II has surpassed any DOA in terms of closer to reality.

Let's see if Rumble Rose WWX can take the crown.

border

DOA has always just been a fun, flashy, approachable series. Always entertaining for an evening with friends. I don't know why some people really have their head up their ass about it...

snapty00

Banned
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a technical fighter, I'd stay far away from DOA. But DOA rocks in other ways, because you can just push buttons and quickly do some crazy shit. And I don't care what any videogame elitist says -- that is fun.

To me, something like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and even Mortal Kombat are simply different games from DOA. In essence, I suppose you are out to accomplish the same goals in all these games, but DOA is just...different. Some people say there's depth to it (and there might well be), but the fun in the game to me is just seeing what type of crazy shit I can pull off by pressing random buttons.

Tellaerin

sp0rsk said:
Whats not fun about learning how to play a game?

Some people don't enjoy being forced to memorize huge movelists and slog through lengthy interactive tutorials before they can get to the meat of a game. :p

Miburou

Well, when I was playing DoA3 with my bro, the fact that it felt like I wasn't being rewarded for my skill took a lot of the fun out of the game. Surely that shouldn't be too hard to grasp?

Miburou

Tellaerin said:
Some people don't enjoy being forced to memorize huge movelists and slog through lengthy interactive tutorials before they can get to the meat of a game. :p

You don't need to do either, actually.

And let me ask you this, are you in favor of games that aren't challenging and where you never die? BTW, even if you are, I'm totally fine with that. I'm just curious.

mrmyth

maskrider said:
In terms of bouncing boobies, Silent Hill 4 (with Eileen's nurse costume) and Taki (in default red costume) in Soul Calibur II has surpassed any DOA in terms of closer to reality.

Let's see if Rumble Rose WWX can take the crown.

Taki wears no bras and the twins don't sag to be as big as they are. Not reality. Ivy's model comes reasonably close, but you just know if she dropped her top they'd be pointing downward.

And DOA2 was still pretty damn bouncy. DOA1 was cartoonishly bouncy, DOA2 was Dolly Parton in a bad bra.

Hero

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

DoA is like McDonald's. Fast, cheap, and in the end, generally leaves you feeling sick.

The counter system is broken, as some combo's can never be successfully done.

Characters are unbalanced. Christie is sickeningly fast and can connect into so many of her other moves.

Irreversible wall punishment + wall damage = shit

Plus the fact that being able to sidestep is generally worthless thanks to the awesome tracking.

It's fun to look at and the models are nice, and for fighting newbies it's good because they can mash buttons and do fancy stuff, but in the end I'd rather play SC or VF4.

akascream

Banned
And let me ask you this, are you in favor of games that aren't challenging and where you never die?

The difficulty level is based on your opponent, so I'm not sure why you think this argument is even valid. As if counting frames to get to the actual content shows a player has much more than too much time on his hands.

Miburou

DoA1 arcade and PS1 are far less realistic than say Taki. In DoA1 the breasts continue to bounce for a good 2-3 seconds after the girl has stopped moving. In Dynasty Warriors (PS1) and Rival Schools, some of the girls' tits would bounce sideways!

Man, I have way too much knowledge on the subject. :(

Miburou

akascream said:
The difficulty level is based on your opponent, so I'm not sure why you think this argument is even valid. As if counting frames to get to the actual content shows a player has much more than too much time on his hands.

I'm trying to draw a parallel here. In action or strategy games there's an argument for easy games because you just want to have fun and don't want to have to memorize all the commands, etc. and retry a level over and over until you perfect it. Another argument is that you only feel rewarded when you actually earn your way through a game. Same thing with fighting games. A simplistic fighting game can be fun for some people, but for others nothing beats putting in effort and getting rewarded for it.

Top Bottom