• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Gamer98

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I didn't have much of a problem with it... the second you see the Hunter, you know it's time to haul ass.

Exactly get in there fuck them up and move the fuck on. Don't be trying to stick around looking for shit or taking you time with kills. You do what kills them the quickest and run.

Just finished the campaign. What a great, satisfying experience. The great cinematics, story, dialogue, and overall polish feels like just the right amount of "Hollywood" so to speak, mixed with my videogames.

Well done Visceral!

GuessWho said:
Game was great but first one was better. Where were the bosses?

I agree. First time through I kept anticipating running into something epic like the bosses in the 1st game, but it never happened.

I guess the Tormentor counts as a semi-boss?

Is the supernova pack worth it? I'm going through Zealot right now, didn't know if it would help me out any, just trying to get trophies.

Wowbagger

brandonh83 said:
Is the supernova pack worth it? I'm going through Zealot right now, didn't know if it would help me out any, just trying to get trophies.

It's only worth getting to have a 15% armour suit available early on in a Hard Core run. I recommend you get Severed instead. Then not only will you have a 15% suit, but additional content to play through and trophies to earn! :)

Finally got around to finishing up my Ignition runs. I didn't think it was as big of a piece of shit as most reviews made it out to be. The tracer sequences were pretty awful though.

I liked how it
tied directly into the beginning of Dead Space 2
. But it didn't really reveal anything important to the overall story. And
poor Sarah

Spoiler tagged on the slight chance some one else cares about the story in it.

Grisby

ILOVEASIANS said:
Finally got around to finishing up my Ignition runs. I didn't think it was as big of a piece of shit as most reviews made it out to be. The tracer sequences were pretty awful though.

I liked how it
tied directly into the beginning of Dead Space 2
. But it didn't really reveal anything important to the overall story. And
poor Sarah

Spoiler tagged on the slight chance some one else cares about the story in it.

Yeah, for a free preorder deal I've played through it a couple times. I liked the branching paths and the mini games weren't bad at all.

The art was pretty bad yeah but still, I liked how it went directly into DS2 as well.

Oh yeah,
Sarah got screwed on any pathway. Crazy.

Wowbagger said:
It's only worth getting to have a 15% armour suit available early on in a Hard Core run. I recommend you get Severed instead. Then not only will you have a 15% suit, but additional content to play through and trophies to earn! :)

Okay thanks. I already bought Severed though, unfortunately.

LEGGZZZZ said:
4 months into 2011 and this is still GOTY to me so far.

A tie with Crysis 2 for me. Atmosphere and tension however can not be beaten and probobly won't be unless a new Siren game is released.

LTTP, but I started this a bit ago, and I am nearing the end. The game is really great. I was wondering - is the game significantly easier than the first one?
I played the first one on normal. I don't really remember whether b/c it was difficult or because the 'scares' of the first one worked better, but I was dreading necromorphs much more in the first game than in the second. I am not sure if it's because I have improved (due to playing the first one), or b/c my weapon loadout turned out to be much better (b/c they are new weapons, I am playing with fully upgraded javelin, a seeker rifle, the plasma rifle but not upgraded, and a force gun which I have no idea how to use efficiently. I played the first with plasma rifle, the military minigun - forgot the name - , the contact beam, and some other weapons which must have sucked since I don't even remember it).

Also, I had barely used stasis in the first game (it didn't recharge back then, did it?), and again, for a change of gameplay, decided to use it in the second. I suspect this makes a large difference, as even big scary necromorphs (like the darkened ones) become more or less standing ducks when stasis'ed and with a good gun in hand.

Btw, the javelin gun is phenomenal. With the special, fully maxed alt. power, it's a monster.

And stalkers are the best addition to the game. I just wish that standing in a dead end was not a good tactic.

Victarion

Just finished Dead Space Extraction.

Is there any DLC/Comic/Anime that explains how Lexine and Gabe end up getting married? cuz they seem to be married in Dead Space Severed.

Played up until chapter 9.

Thought the story was REALLY weak. I did like the new enemies, combat mechanics, etc. but overall the first felt like a much stronger game to me.

Didn't finish it, might finish it in the future.

Manticore said:
Just finished Dead Space Extraction.

Is there any DLC/Comic/Anime that explains how Lexine and Gabe end up getting married? cuz they seem to be married in Dead Space Severed.

It's not explained, which is very odd. I guess the three years in between, they changed? Maybe they'll elaborate in a future DS film/comic or something. They don't reference McNeil either, but remember, this really only covers about 90 minutes of their life in a high-stress environment... though some more information would be nice, but the ending sets that story up for something bigger down the road
With a pregnant Lexine a fugitive and Gabe's body taken for study

pakkit

Banned
SpokkX said:
If ones likes atmosphere ala metroid is this game better or worse than the first?
Atmosphere-wise, the first one has much more of a connected world feeling ala Metroid. Gameplay-wise, Dead Space 2 is a definite improvement.

pakkit said:
Atmosphere-wise, the first one has much more of a connected world feeling ala Metroid. Gameplay-wise, Dead Space 2 is a definite improvement.

I would agree with this but the gameplay improvements in Dead Space 2 aren't a huge upgrade, just a good one.

The horror factor in Dead Space 2 > the original IMO, sure it's more action-packed but I felt that it had superior horror tropes. The first game relied too heavily on being alone on the ship with recycled jump scares coming non-stop, but Dead Space 2 actually sets up some fantastic horror-driven setpieces that I definitely appreciated more than anything in the first game.

Eliciel

I have just finished the game and I have to admit that I still love the Ripper and the Plasma Cutter and I really didn't use the other weapons a lot which is a little bit sad but nevermind ;)

I finished the game in about 12 hours and reached around 58% of the trophies which means I really enjoyed playing that game really slow. I think I nearly didn't use the "run" button one single time.

Verdict:

All in all I think that Dead Space 2 is a well done sequel. It fits perfectly into the Dead Space vibe. I think that Dead Space 1 had a few more "horror like" moments where I caught myself saying "Holy cow that prick just fucked me up".

On the other hand in terms of "cinema like experience" I think that Dead Space 2 is a huge step forward. There where a lot of jaw dropping moments where me and my friends found ourselves being completely fascinated by the amazing quality of numerous cut-scenes as well as gameplay scenes.

The score and the effects where perfectly capable of delivering the games intended mood. I really liked the graphics. It is nothing unbelievable special but I liked the colours and I liked the "sepia" effects as well as the outstanding lightening.

The story was all right. I wouldn't had expected anything more than this which doesn't mean it's bad ^^...so let's say it like this: neither bad nor good

I liked Dead Space 2 a lot and I would recommend it to everyone who likes horror games. I think it's a "must play".

Minamu

Almost done with chapter 11 now I think. Chapter 10 was so good :O I'm not a huge fan of feeling like I'm being rushed through each environment but I guess it comes with the territory when everything is an awesome roller coaster ride :D Removed some of my weapons and I'm focusing on the Plasma Cutter and Force Gun instead. Not so hard anymore :D

Having played a lot of Extraction and RE5 lately, I think I can understand why this game doesn't have Move support :S Not sure you'd be fast enough with its precision. Seems to me like the game would need a lot of tuning to balance the difficulty. Something neither RE4 on the Wii nor RE5 on the ps3 seem to have received.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It's not explained, which is very odd. I guess the three years in between, they changed? Maybe they'll elaborate in a future DS film/comic or something. They don't reference McNeil either, but remember, this really only covers about 90 minutes of their life in a high-stress environment... though some more information would be nice, but the ending sets that story up for something bigger down the road
With a pregnant Lexine a fugitive and Gabe's body taken for study

Plus the
guys in the white coats. Things are starting to point to having non-necromorph enemies in Dead Space 3. With Isaac and Ellie most likely going to be on the run as well. They already did it with the Gun ship sequence in Severed which I didn't mind. Not sure how I would feel about fighting the guys in white coats though.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Plus the
guys in the white coats. Things are starting to point to having non-necromorph enemies in Dead Space 3. With Isaac and Ellie most likely going to be on the run as well. They already did it with the Gun ship sequence in Severed which I didn't mind. Not sure how I would feel about fighting the guys in white coats though.

At least DS2 isn't the first glimpse of them... they seem to be important because
they originally appeared in Salvage, I guess planting the seeds for them. The Main DS2 story has hints with the 'Overseer' and they show up in person in Severed. But maybe it'll be interesting. These guys are very mysterious... wonder what they want. I doubt they're aligned with Unitologists, but I think they have ties with EarthGov. I don't know if they showed up in the Aftermath film (Haven't seen it yet). But dealing with them hopefully is interesting. I wonder what these "Oracles" want... they're responsible for Isaac's imprisonment (he's part of the Oracle Project).

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
At least DS2 isn't the first glimpse of them... they seem to be important because
they originally appeared in Salvage, I guess planting the seeds for them. The Main DS2 story has hints with the 'Overseer' and they show up in person in Severed. But maybe it'll be interesting. These guys are very mysterious... wonder what they want. I doubt they're aligned with Unitologists, but I think they have ties with EarthGov. I don't know if they showed up in the Aftermath film (Haven't seen it yet). But dealing with them hopefully is interesting. I wonder what these "Oracles" want... they're responsible for Isaac's imprisonment (he's part of the Oracle Project).

Hmm, didn't know they appeared before that. I still need to check out Salvage and Martyr.

Aftermath spoiler.
The Overseer shows up in the flesh towards the end to put the finishing touches on the framing of one of the other characters for the Ishimura incident. I don't remember it saying exactly who he is working for. I'm guessing we'll be seeing/hearing from him a lot in DS3

On a side not, I enjoyed Aftermath a lot more than Downfall. It didn't have a lot of inconsistencies and it was cool seeing Stross before he went completely ape shit.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Lttp also I've just made it to chapter 7 and I'm really not liking it. I loved the original but i'm seriously considering trading it in. It's not scary, no tension, don't like the atmosphere. It just seems like more of the same except in more open spaces. Maybe the second half of the game is better but not sticking around to find out. I am disappoint, son.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Days like these... said:
Lttp also I've just made it to chapter 7 and I'm really not liking it. I loved the original but i'm seriously considering trading it in. It's not scary, no tension, don't like the atmosphere. It just seems like more of the same except in more open spaces. Maybe the second half of the game is better but not sticking around to find out. I am disappoint, son.
Keep playing. Especially if you liked the first one.

Days like these... said:

I felt this way too on first play through. Probably because I had been hyping myself up to it for so long after loving the first one. The more I played it though, the more I liked it. Now it's right there with the first one as some of my favorite games this generation.

But then again, I'm a sucker for space horror anything so who knows.

ILOVEASIANS said:
I felt this way too on first play through. Probably because I had been hyping myself up to it for so long after loving the first one. The more I played it though, the more I liked it. Now it's right there with the first one as some of my favorite games this generation.

But then again, I'm a sucker for space horror anything so who knows.

Space horror is awesome :)

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Space horror is awesome :)

Indeed. Pretty much all of my favorite movies, games, and books involve it in some shape or form. We just need an awesome TV show now. I'm guessing it would be way too expensive to do well though.

SamuraiX-

Days like these... said:

My advice is to at least play through Chapter 7. By the end of it you'll have experienced something I doubt you ever have before.

XPE

While I liked it ds2 never reach the same mark set buy dead space 1, I think it was the last 15% of the game, it just seemed to fall apart, the last wee bit was good but the rest just didn’t work for me.

Minamu

Just beat the game :D The cleared game save is only at 8:39 hours (on normal) :S Guess I really was being rushed by something :( Barely ever used the run button. Great ride nonetheless.

Did anyone get confused or ignore the official enemy names. . .

I still get confused with what is what, crawlers stalkers walkers talkers tripods hunters. . . I just calls em

babies

kids

turkeys

standard

black necro

vomits

boss

what do you call em?

ILOVEASIANS said:
I'm assuming the
"Iron Man" sequence at the end of the chapter

Which, if you think about it, has been done before:
It's an inverse of the tunnel flying segments in God of War 3.

But a lot cooler.

Minamu

Zealot on NG+ wasn't that hard :D Got to chapter 7 in one sitting (and no saves) with only 2 deaths (technically 4). Two Exploders got me I think. I died once against the first Pack because I was going for the Line Gun Alt trophy so I restarted there on purpose. And I didn't get the trophy for making an enemy fly 17 meters so I did a restart there as well. Got it later though, on accident :D

Of course, with max health and PC and FG maxed out, nothing is very hard ;)

highrider

Banned
to all the lttp guys, don't sleep on the seeker rifle. i ended using it as my default all purpose weapon with a full stasis upgrade. surgical.

Minamu said:
Zealot on NG+ wasn't that hard :D Got to chapter 7 in one sitting (and no saves) with only 2 deaths (technically 4). Two Exploders got me I think. I died once against the first Pack because I was going for the Line Gun Alt trophy so I restarted there on purpose. And I didn't get the trophy for making an enemy fly 17 meters so I did a restart there as well. Got it later though, on accident :D

Of course, with max health and PC and FG maxed out, nothing is very hard ;)

Hardcore, starting from scratch if you don't buy the DLC, is when the real fun begins!

Minamu

ILOVEASIANS said:
Hardcore, starting from scratch if you don't buy the DLC, is when the real fun begins!
Yeah, will do that last. I heard it's pretty similar to Normal mode, except with just 3 saves? I was expecting enemies tougher than on Zealot, but apparently not?

Minamu said:
Yeah, will do that last. I heard it's pretty similar to Normal mode, except with just 3 saves? I was expecting enemies tougher than on Zealot, but apparently not?

Yeah, it's the same difficulty enemy wise and ammo drop wise, just the 3 saves and no checkpoints are what makes it intense. And not being overpowered anymore lol.

Actually, apparently its Survivalist for enemies and Zealot in terms of ammo drops.

Top Bottom