• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Tacitus_

Olivero said:
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT ISHIMURA! Fucking nothing happens and then boom, BRUTE, then, BOOM another brute, then fucking necromorphs everywhere. fuck fuck fuck fuck

Best scene in the game. I spent like 40 plasma shots and 15 line racks there not to mention the heavy stasis abuse. Thought I had enough ammo for a while since I just stocked up and then I have 5 plasma shots and 10 racks left :D

This game is so goooooood.

Oh and is there a log for why the
Ishimura
is there?

Just finished it. I think the way the game gets annoying difficult towards the end, and the fact that it's shorter than the first, makes me prefer the first game.

Dead Space 2 characters > Dead Space 1 character though.

naib

JoeBoy101 said:
Beware with forcing AA though. It works, but it craps your framerate (nope, not a typo).
Cool. My priorities are framerate and no tearing. AA will be the first to go.

bathala

Banned
just installed the game on 360

played the 1st one but only the tutorial part and now reading the impressions of being hard :S

burgerdog said:
So are the elite suits not in the pc version of the game? I'm standing right in front of where the elite engineering suit should be in chapter 1 right before entering the vacuum and there's nothing there.

from what I've heard that's what they cut out from the PC version, which sucks

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
holy shit at the sound. My table was vibrating when I entered the room where you should use stasis the first time.

Also the game is made for MLAA. Such a nice clean look. Now I need to find a way to make screens with it.

enewtabie

Such a great game. I loved the last one. Beat it on PS3 and went back again
some on 360. Only on chapter five so far,but this has been a fantastic experience playing it so far.

Grisby

Tacitus_ said:
Best scene in the game. I spent like 40 plasma shots and 15 line racks there not to mention the heavy stasis abuse. Thought I had enough ammo for a while since I just stocked up and then I have 5 plasma shots and 10 racks left :D

This game is so goooooood.

Oh and is there a log for why the
Ishimura
is there?

Spoilers for the comic Dead Space Salvage:

A salvage ship crew finds the Ishimura and radios the government of its location. Theres a bit more to it then that, but its the basic gist.

subversus

lol

a console port is a console port.

v-sync limits the game to 30 fps and introduces small lag in controls. I turned it off and triple-buffered this bitch, so I have 60 fps and lag in controls.

gdt

Just got my 5.1 set delivered, I'm experiencing a whole new world, to everything really. But dear god, this game is incredible in 5.1

I'm playing through the first one on PC and loving every minute of it

just hope DS2 is amazing and better then the first as people say it is.

Luthos

I'm only in Chapter 8 at the moment, but my favorite part(s) have been:

The Stalker enemies.

I love fighting them. They are making their way up my list of coolest enemies to fight in a game.

Me and my brother (who was watching me play) thought they acted like raptors. And it was confirmed that the creators did too when the trophy I got for them was called "Clever girls".

Love their screams, and how they run around you without attacking you. Then they peak around corners at you. And then eventually they bum rush you.

The Seeker rifle and the Detonator bombs work awesome. Set up some proximity bombs, and then use the seeker rifle to pop them when they peek at you.

JoeBoy101

gdt5016 said:
Just got my 5.1 set delivered, I'm experiencing a whole new world, to everything really. But dear god, this game is incredible in 5.1

I really have a hard time thinking about games in the recent pass that have used sound so effectively and deftly. Its great to know that Visceral paid attention to one of the major reasons System Shock 2 was so terrifying... sound.

EDIT: When it comes to the Raptor creatures, patience is the best weapon. Get some distance, your back covered and once they rush, stasis their ass. What's difficult later on is when
they get mixed in with other enemies, including the exploding tick newborns.
Now that's interesting. Interesting as in stupid tough.

subversus

ok, the lag is almost unnoticeable in-game. It's there, but it's nowhere bad as it was in DS1.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
darkpaladinmfc said:
Thanks :). Does AA cause any problems that you're aware of?

I don't know if it's actually because of me forcing MSAA and AF, but two places during the game ( that should not be resource heavy ) like two random doors or gates or whatever it was made my framerate go from a rocksolid 60 to something very low, like 25-30ish.

As soon as I turned my back to said doors then everything shot back upto 60 so I'm guessing something foul was at hand but couldn't be bothered to try to see if the problems were there without the forcing of stuff.

or something.

Corky said:
I don't know if it's actually because of me forcing MSAA and AF, but two places during the game ( that should not be resource heavy ) like two random doors or gates or whatever it was made my framerate go from a rocksolid 60 to something very low, like 25-30ish.

As soon as I turned my back to said doors then everything shot back upto 60 so I'm guessing something foul was at hand but couldn't be bothered to try to see if the problems were there without the forcing of stuff.

or something.
Only two spots in the game sounds fine to me. I'm going to go through the game tomorrow and hopefully beat the game in a sitting.

Corky

darkpaladinmfc said:
Only two spots in the game sounds fine to me. I'm going to go through the game tomorrow and hopefully beat the game in a sitting.

oh yea it was a tiny cost to pay considering good AA makes the visuals exponentially better.

Tacitus_

Figured I'd fire up the game and take some screenshots but noooo

"Could not initialize display hardware, please restart Dead Space 2"

I think I'm at chapter 6. I just beat
the Tormentor, the boss you "fight" after Daina gets blown away by the gunship.

This reminds me of Resident Evil 4 in that it seems to have turned away from being a horror game, and is now an action game instead. It's just not as scary, mostly due to the location in which the game takes place, the abundance of lighting, the lack of eerie background creaking/grinding/etc noises compared to the original, and the fact that some of the enemies look a bit stupid (the
children
in particular, or whatever they are, are just ridiculous, and I think the "plain" necromorphs looked scarier in DS1).

It's still a fantastic game, but for different reasons. And so far, I prefer the original. The atmosphere *made* that game, and DS2 is a little lacking in that regard.

Ben2749 said:
I think I'm at chapter 6. I just beat
the Tormentor, the boss you "fight" after Daina gets blown away by the gunship.

This reminds me of Resident Evil 4 in that it seems to have turned away from being a horror game, and is now an action game instead. It's just not as scary, mostly due to the location in which the game takes place, the abundance of lighting, the lack of eerie background creaking/grinding/etc noises compared to the original, and the fact that some of the enemies look a bit stupid (the
children
in particular, or whatever they are, are just ridiculous, and I think the "plain" necromorphs looked scarier in DS1).

It's still a fantastic game, but for different reasons. And so far, I prefer the original. The atmosphere *made* that game, and DS2 is a little lacking in that regard.

It may be a bit more actiony, but just... keep playing. There is some awesomeness and fear ahead.

SpacLock

Question for those who have beaten it, or have been far enough to know:

When the hell am I
going to get a new suit? I'm wearing the security suit and have found the vintage, but I keep hearing about this advanced suit that I haven't found yet.
I'm at chapter eleven. Did I miss it?

SpacLock said:
Question for those who have beaten it, or have been far enough to know:

When the hell am I
going to get a new suit? I'm wearing the security suit and have found the vintage, but I keep hearing about this advanced suit that I haven't found yet.
I'm at chapter eleven. Did I miss it?

In chapter 11, inside a node locked door. Opening all those node locked doors is worth it, so much awesome shit inside. Mostly cash and health packs and ammo, but it's worth it.

Tacitus_

Reinstalled/updated video drivers (which for some reason caused a reactivation) and verfied the game cache... still giving the same error.

Boooo.

Dartastic

Miroku said:
Holy crap that
alarm clock
really got me, almost soiled myself. This games surround sound is so damn good.
Yeah, I just got spooked by the area shortly after that, where
you're on stage in that auditorium and the sun drops down.
SO FUNNY.

Lakitu

st5fu
Holy shit at
the stage in the school. I turn off everything and I'm bum rushed by a bunch of mutant kids and babies and a few other nasties.
They fucked me up.

I see everyone mentioning the hard difficulties, but how is the easiest difficulty? I don't mind being (in Itagaki's words :D) "a dog"- I find myself having problems with these 3rd person shooters, so my first playthrough is usually on the most casual level.

Is easy just stupid easy and I should start on normal?
I don't remember what I played DS1 on. Probably the lowliest, flea-infested dog level available.

Also-
please god tell me there's no SHOOT THE ASTEROIDS shit in this one. :(

Dartastic

Lakitu said:
Holy shit at
the stage in the school. I turn off everything and I'm bum rushed by a bunch of mutant kids and babies and a few other nasties.
They fucked me up.
I JUST did that part. Javelin alt fire will SAVE YOUR ASS.

AppleMIX

TheJollyCorner said:
I see everyone mentioning the hard difficulties, but how is the easiest difficulty? I don't mind being (in Itagaki's words :D) "a dog"- I find myself having problems with these 3rd person shooters, so my first playthrough is usually on the most casual level.

I don't remember what I played DS1 on. Probably the lowliest, flea-infested dog level available.

Also-

Their is no asteroids part anymore.

Haven't played on easy but I would imagine that It's not very hard at all.

TheJollyCorner said:

Also-

I've only played on Normal mode, but it wasn't super-hard and mostly fair, so Casual oughta be a walk in the park. No asteroids.

Corky

so can somebody confirm that the regularass unlockable suits are cut from the pcversion? :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So DS2 inspired me to go finish Extraction on the Wii and while I enjoyed the story, I really fucking hated the gameplay. I don't generally enjoy light-gun games, but Extraction really took my dislike to a new level. The bosses were annoying as hell, I managed to make the script path glitch out- forcing me to replay like 20 mnutes of a slow ass level, and I just couldn't stand how quickly they would look away from shit like upgrades and stuff. If you are gonna make a level 20 minutes long and not break it up into parts for replaying, you will completely kill my interest in getting 100% items because the one item I missed was 2 minutes before the end of the level and super easy to miss.

God it left an awful taste in my mouth. And because I have Dead Space 2 on PC, I won't be able to see the follow up to the story, aka the only part of Extraction I enjoyed, only with proper good gameplay.

Dartastic

So, when you've got the hacker suit and you want to upgrade your suits further, do you have to keep buying the shittier suits in order to get further upgrades? I've only upgraded to the normal suit after I got the hacker suit, and now there's a security suit or something that gives 15 slots and 10% armor. I don't want to buy it because it's 20000 and i already have 15 slots at 15% armor, and it's a waste of money unless I need to buy it in order to further power up my suit. Help?
Lakitu said:
THANK YOU. I just tried that and it thoroughly dealt with those pesky kids.
Hah, yeah, no problem. I literally did that portion right before you did. I just backed to the corner of the stage and let that electricity rip. Thank god for that area effect, otherwise I would have been totally, totally hosed.

OK - I just finished it.

That game is fucking off the charts-to me, it's like Uncharted 2 level good. My only complaint would be that there is no way I would be able to do the higher difficulties!! I played on normal and that last chapter fucked me up-I completely ran out of ammo and health. Is the best strategy on that last level to just keep running or fight everything to get more supplies?

On my first playthrough I leveled up my Plasma Cutter, my Rig, Stasis and then started to work on the Pulse Rifle-that Pulse Rifle is a godsend against the kids.

So my highlights are The Ishumura, obviously. Going back through all those stages, but now with the tape and plastic is insane. The School is just fucked up, man. And that Halo jump had my jaw on the floor.

Seriously man-I loved this game so much, I can't imagine anything else topping this in 2011-for me anyway.

Corky

Gribbix said:
Yes, it's true. The Elite variant suits are not in the PC version.

Oh bollocks, I really don't like this trend of pc-gamers being treated as somekind of secondrate citizens :/

Dartastic said:
So, when you've got the hacker suit and you want to upgrade your suits further, do you have to keep buying the shittier suits in order to get further upgrades? I've only upgraded to the normal suit after I got the hacker suit, and now there's a security suit or something that gives 15 slots and 10% armor. I don't want to buy it because it's 20000 and i already have 15 slots at 15% armor, and it's a waste of money unless I need to buy it in order to further power up my suit. Help?

No-you only update your "Rig", and that gives you more to your base HP and Air. The Suits that you get add incremental inventory and HP increases-but also have abilities. The HAcker suit requires one less hack, and the Security Suit gives more damage to the Pulse Rifle, etc.

Top Bottom