• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Pancho

Qurupancho
betweenthewheels said:
I'm the same, but I still find it very intense and dreadful. Though some of the new enemies freak me out quite a bit.

Pretty much, love the atmosphere of this game, and really, playing it on survivalist was the greatest decision ever since it racks up the tension pretty high, knowing that you might die anytime by anything.

TheUsual

Gold Member
lastinline said:
So, I completed Dead Space 2. All in all, I think it was amazing. The later chapters, Chapter 10 on were just okay, but Chapter 1-9 were really good. :)
Agree mostly to that. Once
Issac gets to the Government Sector is where it fell apart imo. The environments were nice, but the idea of constantly throwing enemies at the player was very annoying. Outside of that nitpick, I have nothing to complain about.

Square Triangle said:
Anyone have a preferred surround sound headset? I really want one now with Dead Space 2's sound quality.

AD700's are amazing gaming headsets. Pair them with a good amp that enables Dolby 5.1 sound and you will be more then pleased.

Grisby

ezekial45 said:
Thanks. It was still a pain in the ass though. I got pummeled in the section before and this part really caught me off guard. I had no health items and i was low on ammo. It was pretty unfair.

Anyway, this was a great game. I definitely felt that the horror elements were toned down a little. I was on edge at times, but nothing really scared me.

Also, did anyone else think The Sprawl was a weak setting for the game? I don't think they set it up too well.
The first game had the great opening with Ishimura floating in space, but this game just had you straight inside. You never really got a good look of the place you were in. Like establishing shots or something. It didn't feel like a real setting like in the previous game, just a bunch of corridors. I think the pre-release interviews and docs did a better job of describing the place than the game did. I don't really recall any of the characters ever mentioning the name of the place.

Anyway, it's still a awesome game. That was just my one gripe with it. I'm gonna start the second playthrough now.

You basically hit my big complaint for the earlier chapters. I too felt like the Sprawl was going to be huge and we were going to see more of the necro takeover going on in person. Extraction actually had a wide open area where people were going crazy and fighting each other, etc early on in the game.

vas_a_morir said:
Just I think the game doesn't set up the story well. What is the marker? What are Unitologists? You have to read outside the game to know all of this. What is convergence? Who is this guy trying to kill Isaac? It's not WELL explained. Resident Evil 4 was far easier to follow. I think they are too ambitious with the story. .
All of that is absolutely well explained in BOTH games. You're not reading anything you pick up from an audio log/text log perspective, are you?

In the second game, there Church of Unitology is a resource center. There's a room completely dedicated to running down the history of the church. You can click on "Listen" to each of the tablets that covers everything from the first discovery of the black marker to Atlman's assassination.

Here's some points to go over (all spoilered). All from Dead Space 1. If you paid attention to Dead Space 2, you should get an idea of how the Marker was created and much more info. I hope it helps.

- Unitology is a religion born from a man called Michael Altman. He was a geophysicist and during a research project he discovered a Black Marker that supposedly spoke to him and gave him visions. The origins of the Black Marker are unknown.
- That future was for humanity to ascend to "convergence". Or the joining of the mind, body and spirit into a higher existence. You'll see "One" as a central theme throughout the church.
- Upon his return, his preaching about the Marker made him an extremely popular and powerful figure among the faithful. This caused friction with the government. Eventually Altman was assassinated. This made him a martyr and was the catalyst for the creation of the church of Unitology.
- The Marker is seen as a divine item.
- In the first Dead Space, the colonists on Aegis VII discover the Red Marker. All Unitologists on board are ecstatic as they feel its discovery will put them on the path to convergence.
- Unfortunately, convergence turns out to be humanity being transformed into Necromorphs. The Marker drives people insane to the point of violence and murder. Eventually the entire colony and the crew of the Ishimura are transformed.
- Isaac arrives looking for Nicole. In his exploration he discovers two doctors onboard. Mercer is a fundamentalist who tries to thwart Isaac. He's gone made and in the end gives himself over to an infector to experience his own convergence. He transforms into a Necromorph and is killed by Isaac.
- Dr. Kyne is also a Unitologist but turns out not to be quite the true believer everyone else is. He wants to end the Necromorph plague and helps Isaac to secure the Marker. He is killed by Kendra who turns out to be a government operative. She wants to take the Marker back to Earth with her and she double crosses Isaac leaving him aboard the Ishimura. Her escape attempts is foiled and she is forced down to the colony where she meets her end against the final boss.
- In the end, the entire mission on Aegis VII (an outlawed star system) was engineered by CEC and the government which made is possible for the Ishimura to planet crack Aegis VII.
- The Red Marker, as it turns out is not some alien divine relic - but an actual man made device. It's a reverse engineered version of the Black Marker. It was created and brought to Aegis VII to study its affects. Scientists discovered it carried the DNA code for creating Necromorphs. The original colony was destroyed but those same scientists succeeded in modifying the Marker to be an inhibitor for the infection. Once the infection was cleaned out,, the area was outlawed. Hundreds of years later, the Ishimura is sent to Aegis VII to crack the planet open and retrieve the Marker. Once they remove the Marker from the planet, the infections begins again. Isaac returns the Marker to the planet in hopes of stopping the Necromorph infestation.
- In the end Isaac escapes from Aegis VII believing that he destroyed the Marker and with it the Ishimura. His mind is not all there though as the Marker has been whispering to him throughout the game. It appears to him in the form of his girlfriend Nicole who he discovers actually killed herself aboard the Ishimura.

Cue Dead Space 2...

All of this information can be garnered by playing the games, mind you.

LostVector

Neo Member
RoboPlato said:
Pulse rifle was pretty useless in DS1 but I find it to be really effective against the Pack.
Uh, the pulse rifle was excellent in DS1. It was a poor weapon if not upgraded, but more ammo efficient than the plasma cutter when fully upgraded. It also had excellent stun for crowd control and high ammo capacity, which made it a great default weapon to have out for unexpected "oh shit" moments.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LostVector said:
Uh, the pulse rifle was excellent in DS1. It was a poor weapon if not upgraded, but more ammo efficient than the plasma cutter when fully upgraded. It also had excellent stun for crowd control and high ammo capacity, which made it a great default weapon to have out for unexpected "oh shit" moments.
Huh, I'll have to try it out next time I play DS1. It's been a while since I've played it.

SpacLock

I'm taking my sweet ass time going through this game. Does anyone know the average length of the campaign? I'm sure it's been mentioned before in this thread, but I don't want to dig through it.

I mean, it's two discs, so it has to be more than 8 hours, right?

KingOfKong said:
AD700's are amazing gaming headsets. Pair them with a good amp that enables Dolby 5.1 sound and you will be more then pleased.

I'm using the ad700 with the astro 5.8 mixamp, and I agree, the sound is AMAZING for this game. One issue I had with ad700 was that it seems like my head is a bit small for the headphones, had to modify them but afterward, feeling and sounding great

SpacLock

Grisby said:
Forgot to quote you Speclock. On normal, and I was looking around, it took me about 10hrs.

Thanks.

I'm about 3 and a half hours in at chapter 5. Most likely half way through 5, actually.

just beat it yesterday, amazing game

took me 8 hours on normal , the end was kinda frustrating but i liked the crazyness

lol rip issac, i killed him in the eye part, his eyes moved quick.

that part after beating Nicole was depressing, the music and Issac giving up, i was like holy shit :(

time to play multiplayer, i like being the kid since they are quick and you can go circles around people and kil them

friskykillface said:
just beat it yesterday, amazing game

took me 8 hours on normal , the end was kinda frustrating but i liked the crazyness

lol rip issac, i killed him in the eye part, his eyes moved quick.

that part after beating Nicole was depressing, the music and Issac giving up, i was like holy shit :(

time to play multiplayer, i like being the kid since they are quick and you can go circles around people and kil them

But then Ellie shows up in a big damn heroes moment and you rocket away, that was pretty fucking awesome.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just reached Chapter 6. Really enjoying it. As with the first game, I'm a sucker for sticking with only the plasma cutter. I'm always a fan of the simple guns. Always loved just using pistols in GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, etc. It's a hard habit for me to break.

Unfortunately it's going to take me a while to get through it thanks to long work days.

Kinda bummed some areas are so dark. I can't appreciate the beauty of the art design.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just played the demo.

Damn. This is what RE5 should have been.

But I'm sure that's what you guys have been probably saying since the first game.

I think I'm going to get this once the price drops. Does the 360 version run the better?

Kimosabae said:
Just played the demo.

Damn. This is what RE5 should have been.

But I'm sure that's what you guys have been probably saying since the first game.

I think I'm going to get this once the price drops. Does the 360 version run the better?

Both the same mate, lens of truth has them pegged near identical.

JRW

Holy crap Survivalist mode is brutal ..so many enemies and you die so easily.

p.s. this game is awesome.

X26

Banned
Draft said:
I don't know if I'll ever get around to posting details thoughts on DS2, but this one thing keeps leaping at me (no, not those ANNOYING monsters that walk on their hands.)

DS2 on hard is the true Resident Evil game that a lot of people thought RE4 was going to be. Maybe my game skill is in the basement, but I'm playing on hard and my health is always yellow, I'm always low on ammo, every fight is a struggle and I spend pretty much all my money at every shop on health packs and ammo. This is true survival horror.

Yep, had the exact same experience. Rarely ever saw a green spine, usually red if anything. Started out easy enough, but soon enough I was selling off weapons one by one just to afford minuscule amounts of health and ammo. Died countless times and beat the end boss with just a plasma cutter and a pulse rifle available. Loved it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm near the end of chapter 7 on survivalist, and yeah...rarely see green on my spine. I don't buy health or ammo though, I instead scrape by with what they give me. I'm having a huge stasis crisis though, I really want to pump more into the plasma cutter but I've been dying to get another shot or two of stasis, too bad it takes a couple of nodes to get.

fernoca

Just got this, after ignoring nearly everything about the game except the name and that it included Extraction (on PS3) and a few pics here and there.

Really amazing way to start the game. :O!!

VaLiancY

I like the parts where you get to fly super fast, I always say "I am Iron Man." :lol

And Christ the Rivet gun is fucking terrible. Line Gun all the way for me. Javelin is ace too.

burgerdog

Should I be saving money after buying the advanced suit? I have around 175,000 credits that I would like to spend on nodes if there are no other suits to buy.

edit
Fuck this game. Everything post chapter 11 is awful. Enter room > fight 10 necromorphs and get ass raped by enemies that love to attack from behind. Don't forget to dodge the spotters.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
speaking of which, when is the suit available, chapterwise, because I'm already at chapter 10 and I have only 3 suits.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
burgerdog said:
Should I be saving money after buying the advanced suit? I have around 175,000 credits that I would like to spend on nodes if there are no other suits to buy.

edit
Fuck this game. Everything post chapter 11 is awful. Enter room > fight 10 necromorphs and get ass raped by enemies that love to attack from behind. Don't forget to dodge the spotters.

You should be upgraded enough that you can peel through huge groups of enemies without problem. Advanced suit is 36k with the Vintage discount, so save 36k and spend the rest on nodes and pimp yourself out.

Also *always* back into a corner when fighting, you can't get bushwhacked that way.

Burger

Played until chapter 5 this evening. My god, the design, the variety, the atmosphere.

The only time I've had to pause the game and time out for a few minutes was that room with
the stalker things
. Fuck me it was like a surround sound velociraptor pit. I saw the end of the room with the unlocked door and I thought fuck it, I'll just sprint to the end and close my eyes. When I got there fuck all happened, so I wandered back from where I came and... nearly threw my controller out the window I got such a fucking scare.

God damn.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Burger said:
Played until chapter 5 this evening. My god, the design, the variety, the atmosphere.

The only time I've had to pause the game and time out for a few minutes was that room with
the stalker things
. Fuck me it was like a surround sound velociraptor pit. I saw the end of the room with the unlocked door and I thought fuck it, I'll just sprint to the end and close my eyes. When I got there fuck all happened, so I wandered back from where I came and... nearly threw my controller out the window I got such a fucking scare.

God damn.

That specific part gave me a feeling fighting enemies in a game that I haven't had since I played the Soldiers in Half-Life 1. I'm not a programmer, but the behaviour of those enemies in DS2 seem great.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Burger said:

the stalker things

God damn.

Those things are horrifying. That room was excellent.

Just got to the
Gov Building
-I want to keep playing to see what happens next-but I've got to go to bed.

This is an amazing, amazing game. Visceral-if you guys are reading this-hats off to you. My level of love for this game is among the best I've ever played. I love this series and this installment has surpassed all expectations I had. Everything about this game appeals to my sensibilities.

The one thing I do have to agree about is the presentation of the Sprawl-I did like the variety of environments (
Apartments, School, Shopping, Church, etc
), but I do feel as if the expectation of seeing a hugely populated space station that I got from reading the previews of the game was kind of a let down-everything is just decimated as soon as you get out...that being said, I did thouroughly enjoy those areas-they creeped me the fuck out! That
school
level....Jesus Christ....

Spookie

friskykillface said:

More ending spoilers:

I kinda loved that bit. He's lost everything, been tormented for the last 4 or so years and just wants it to end. After putting that prick to bed and finally getting rid of the marker influence in his brain he's happy simply to stop there and finish the torment. I'm hoping he gets some kind of redemption through Ellie in the third though.

_tetsuo_ said:
Those things are horrifying. That room was excellent.

It's worse when you get killed by them. The death animation is brutal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Amir0x said:
This game is really good, seems the worries about it dropping the classic Dead Space feel were unfounded

Ya, Visceral straight up lied about easing up on the tension. This shit is even worse. Probably has something to do with me playing on Zealot on my first playthrough, though. No ammo and 1 hit destruction D:

Truant

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya, Visceral straight up lied about easing up on the tension. This shit is even worse. Probably has something to do with me playing on Zealot on my first playthrough, though. No ammo and 1 hit destruction D:

I agree. Even the action scenes are scary. This is way creepier than the first game, I think.

KAOz

Short bus special
Is there anything special I have to do to unlock the Plasma Cutter from the first game? Because yeah, it hasn't found my save at all, and no indication about it ever doing anything like that.

Can it be, that my Dead Space 1 copy is from the UK, and 2 is Swedish. But both go under PAL, so, there shouldn't be a problem there. :( Somebody help please.

Kweh said:
Are there any multiplayer achievements in this?

Nope. And that's good.

Jinaar

MDavis360 said:
Just got to the
Gov Building
-I want to keep playing to see what happens next-but I've got to go to bed.

That was me last night. Chapter
tonight and beyond.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
-NinjaBoiX- said:
What DS2 bonuses does Ignition get you? I don't really want to play it, but if the bonus is worthwhile...
Hacker Suit, Hacker Contact Beam, and several rooms with good items in them. Ignition is horrible but apparently all you need to do to get the DS2 stuff is finish the first hack.

are there any extended details out there on Unitology that I can read that won't spoil DS2 for me?

I'm starting DS2 this weekend, but wanted to get a jump on some of the stuff going on in the background before-hand.

Also- is the Dead Space anime that came out a couple years ago worth watching?

Top Bottom