• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

pahamrick

Finished up a bit ago, while a great, great game I still enjoyed DS1 more. Sticking everything in spoilers, just to be on the safe side.

I think it was, as others have mentioned, the distinction between the different chapters and the complete lack of any real twist towards the end of DS2. The whole spelling out "Nicole Is Dead" using the first letters of the chapters, a boss fight at the end of each word and a character dying during each chapter spelling out dead. The complete lack of separation of chapters in DS2 didn't seem to give me the same feeling.

The first time I finished DS1, every time I got on the tram at the end of a chapter I always got this excited feeling, wondering what was going to get thrown at me next. Didn't get that this time around, kind of missed it. Chapters 1 - 9 were awesome, loved every second of it. 10-15, while great story wise, annoyed me to no end. I lost count of how many times I died because I'd get ninja spitted, or an enemy would suddenly spawn behind me with no warning. The regenerating enemy towards the end didn't bug me as much as I'd simply stasis him, then hit him with the javelin and alt-fire then keep on moving.

Final boss (or really, only actual boss as far as I'm concerned) was a joke and anti-climatic. Made sense to the story, but it was like blowing up a balloon for the big pop only to get a small hole and have the air fizzle away. Really glad Ellie survived though. As far as possible multiplayer in DS3, screw that. Go Resident Evil 2 style, with Ellie and Issac having different but inter-connected campaigns.

Bring on DS3 now.

Patryn

hteng said:
to make things worse the
regenerator
makes you waste even more ammo.

Ripper. One blade to dismember, then stasis. He only shows up about five times. That's less than two full packs of ammo in that entire sequence. He's not a problem.

ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah that's when the combat bothered me most. I'm the type that uses the Plasma Cutter at all times as long as I have ammo for it. I didn't buy any of the other weapons aside from the Javelin Gun, Pulse Rifle, Flamethrower (Which is useless) and Contact Beam (Which I only fired once). I'll have to get into some of the other weapons in my New Game+.

I think a lot of people skip over the Ripper, unfortunately. I originally got it and began using it in DS1 because of this logic (which really holds up):

This is a game about dismemberment. The Ripper is just a fancy chainsaw. Any questions?

I'll just say that if you get it and start upgrading it: Duration is more important than power. Because the blade just sits there doing constant damage and it staggers the enemies, it's not necessarily important that it does massive damage in a single shot.

Scarecrow

Scarecrow said:
Have I missed getting the advanced engineer suit(i think that's what it's called)? I just got to chapter 8, and I've been using the hacker suit for most of the game. I found the security suit, but not the iconic Dead Space 2 suit yet.
asking again for new page.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fuck the pukers. Worst enemy ever. Yeah, thanks for dropping directly on top of me and behind me and puking on me before I can even see you. Goddamn ninjas.

Boomer's skinny bitch cousin.

Finished it. It was amazing.

Incidentally: people complaining that Survivalist is too hard? There is a normal difficulty setting. Switch to that and enjoy the game, eh?

Bill_Duke

Stuck in chapter 6. I'm in the room where I have to put out the fire by removing three batteries to cut off O2.
No batteries to take out of the slots! Can't put out the fire, can't go on with the game. Reloading the checkpoint doesn't help. I only have one save so loading a previous save is out of the question.
Anybody else having the same problem? Is there anything else to do than replay the whole game up to that point?

Somebody having same problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RCPCdSRnE

Erekiddo

Forgive me if this was already posted, I just don't have time to sift through 50+ pages of DS2 discussion.

Did anyone else have issues logging into their EA account when loading DS2? I went to EA.com and made an account a few days ago, but when I try to log into the login screen when I launch DS2, I get the error:

"E-mail address or password too long"

:|

ArjanN

Bill_Duke said:
Stuck in chapter 6. I'm in the room where I have to put out the fire by removing three batteries to cut off O2.
No batteries to take out of the slots! Can't put out the fire, can't go on with the game. Reloading the checkpoint doesn't help. I only have one save so loading a previous save is out of the question.
Anybody else having the same problem? Is there anything else to do than replay the whole game up to that point?

You'll have to restart from an earlier save. Oh, and unless you're playing on hardcore mode, you should obviously save in a new save slot at every save point.

Bill_Duke

ArjanN said:
You'll have to restart from an earlier save. Oh, and unless you're playing on hardcore mode, you should obviously save in a new save at every save point.

I've saved every time to the same save. Already tried reloading it. Didn't work. So I guess I'll have to replay the game from the start.

Bill_Duke said:

Reading the Youtube comments it seems like a 360 only glitch. You playing on that or another platform?

Just finished it and I have to say that that was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with a game this gen. I didn't think it would be quite as good as the first game but everything just felt so much better - the combat, atmosphere, tension, story and characters. GOTY so far!

Y2Kev said:
They kinda made Isaac look like the voice actor.

They did that with the first game too. Look up the voice actors for Kendra and Hammond, they look like their characters. I thought the trainer guy from Spartacus: Blood and Sand looked familiar.

whatevermort said:
Finished it. It was amazing.

Incidentally: people complaining that Survivalist is too hard? There is a normal difficulty setting. Switch to that and enjoy the game, eh?

It isn't hard, it's just that you often need to restart a level 2-3 times to figure out where everything spawns. It's bad game design.

hermit7

Bill_Duke said:
I've saved every time to the same save. Already tried reloading it. Didn't work. So I guess I'll have to replay the game from the start.

Walk into the flame and you will restart at the checkpoint.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
faceless007 said:
They did that with the first game too. Look up the voice actors for Kendra and Hammond, they look like their characters. I thought the trainer guy from Spartacus: Blood and Sand looked familiar.

The only main character in DS2 who isn't a direct model of their actor is Ellie. The actors all did their own mo-cap work as well as voice. I think they all did great work and were awesome to work with. Here's a shout-out:

Isaac (Gunner Wright):
MV5BMTQ3MTI1NDIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY2NDU5Mw@@._V1._SY314_CR1,0,214,314_.jpg

Nicole (Tanya Clarke):
MV5BMjA1MjQ3MzEzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk3MzExMw@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Ellie (Sonita Henry):
MV5BNjEzMjQ2NDMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk2OTE2Mw@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Stross (Curt Cornelius)
MV5BMTc5MDk4ODc3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc2OTIxNA@@._V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

Therapist (Rick Cramer):
MV5BMTY0MjA0NzE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQyMjkzNA@@._V1._SY314_CR1,0,214,314_.jpg

Tiedemann (Lester Purry):
photo1face.jpg

Monkey Pants

pahamrick said:
Finished up a bit ago, while a great, great game I still enjoyed DS1 more. Sticking everything in spoilers, just to be on the safe side.

I think it was, as others have mentioned, the distinction between the different chapters and the complete lack of any real twist towards the end of DS2. The whole spelling out "Nicole Is Dead" using the first letters of the chapters, a boss fight at the end of each word and a character dying during each chapter spelling out dead. The complete lack of separation of chapters in DS2 didn't seem to give me the same feeling.

Bring on DS3 now.

Ha, you know what's funny? That's awesome that you got all that, but it wasn't intentional. The "Nicole is Dead" thing was an idea we had late in production, well after the boss fights and character deaths were planned. I never even noticed it worked out like that until you mentioned it here!

LostVector

Neo Member
Luken said:
Thanks for replying. And I kind of agree about everything you wrote. :D

That is what I'm saying, I don't like to die in the game. You're concentrated in aiming your gun at the necromorphs limbs that is in front of you. that it is already too late when you find out there is a necromorph behind you, when you have just a little health bar left and it kills you from behind with one strike. So I died many times from this moments, the game kills you by surprise from behind so we can get it right in the second attempt.
There's probably room for you to get better. Look for escape routes in the room before you enter and as you're walking, be especially aware if the room has too many open entry points where you could get ambushed, keep out a default weapon that will let you survive an oh s*** moment, and get your back to a wall so that you can't get surprised from behind.

Zeliard

Some people probably already do this but one neat thing to do if you're anticipating an enemy encounter with infestors (or if you're replaying one) is to destroy the human corpses on the ground prior to the enemies emerging, or throw them to some corner of a room with kinesis. That way the infestors will just scurry about having fewer or no corpses to infest and turn into Necromorphs, and they're easy pickings.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zeliard said:
Some people probably already do this but one neat thing to do if you're anticipating an enemy encounter with infestors (or if you're replaying one) is to destroy the human corpses on the ground prior to the enemies emerging, or throw them to some corner of a room with kinesis. That way the infestors will just scurry about having fewer or no corpses to infest and turn into Necromorphs, and they're easy pickings.
This was something I did all the time in DS1, but they're kinda rare in DS2.

Jenga

Banned
wait, so someone explain this to me

In DS1, the marker wants to be reunited with the planet which would placate the hivemind and shit which I'm assuming would calm down the xenomorphs. Now we got the marker in DS2 that only gives a shit about convergence. What's the deal here?

I've heard arguments saying the DS1 marker was actually a force for good since all it wanted was to seal up the hivemind again.

Do the markers have different intentions or something? If the marker is purposely stringing Isaac along why does it send an endless amount of xenomorphs after the dude? Or does it have no power over xenos besides spreading dementia/infection?

plot confusion aside, DS2 is an amazing game ;3

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
This was something I did all the time in DS1, but they're kinda rare in DS2.

Yeah it's not something you can do very frequently, but when you can it saves a lot of headaches, particularly on the higher difficulties. Each Necromorph you don't have to deal with is a boon, especially since much of the difficulty in combat comes in the amount of enemies they throw at you from different angles.

Monkey Pants

Jenga said:
wait, so someone explain this to me

If the marker is purposely stringing Isaac along why does it send an endless amount of xenomorphs after the dude? Or does it have no power over xenos besides spreading dementia/infection?

plot confusion aside, DS2 is an amazing game ;3

Don't worry, it's all going somewhere. As for the last bit, Markers do not control Necromorphs. They don't cause them to come about or control them, although they do have effects on them.

Just finished it. Great game, better than the first.

I really liked the end. I appreciated not having a
bullet sponge boss, and the fake-credits made me laugh. Good end to the game, not anti-climatic at all as some people here have said.

Only 7 hours though, acorrding to my timer. Felt much longer than that - is the in-game timer a bit borked?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Foliorum Viridum said:

bullet sponge boss, and the fake-credits made me laugh. Good end to the game, not anti-climatic at all as some people here have said.

Only 7 hours though, acorrding to my timer. Felt much longer than that - is the in-game timer a bit borked?
The in-game timer doesn't track deaths/retries.

ArjanN

Zeliard said:

The first game already trained me to distrust all bodies on the ground, human bodies I stomp the limbs off or kenisis them off a cliff. (Kenisis is also a pretty good way to test if necromorphs on the ground are playing dead.)

The fact you get extra items for stomping bodies in DS2 only reforces this behaviour more.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Jesus. My in-game timer said 10 hours, and I barely died as well. Did you not really explore much? (Genuinely interested: that's a faintly big discrepancy.)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
whatevermort said:
Jesus. My in-game timer said 10 hours, and I barely died as well. Did you not really explore much? (Genuinely interested: that's a faintly big discrepancy.)
Same here. I explored a lot though and went pretty slowly through most sections.

i don't play Dead Space 2 when the sun is still up, so i went back and replayed the first chapter of Dead Space
Chapter 10 made me nostalgic!

the tweaks between the two games really add up i think. putting reload and pickup on different buttons makes kinesising stuff over to you a lot easier in the middle of the fray. the old stomp just isn't the same! kinesis recharge makes me use it a lot more in general situations.

i'm thinking if things get really tricky tonight i might respec and get a bunch of nodes back to max out my kinesis in 2.

Y2Kev said:
Fuck the pukers. Worst enemy ever. Yeah, thanks for dropping directly on top of me and behind me and puking on me before I can even see you. Goddamn ninjas.

Boomer's skinny bitch cousin.
Pukers make me want to puke. Really fucking annoying later on

hermit7

Rickard said:
I wish they hadn't changed the laser sights.

You can change them back in the control options.

One thing that I wish I could change was how quick heal items are used. In the first game they used to lowest ones you had first, but in this game they use higher and then lower.

I had a glitch on the PS3 version where I bought the security suit, then bought the engineer suit right after for shits and giggles, then when I went back to re-equip the security suit it was gone. Just disappeared. Tried reloading my save, but no dice. It showed up 3 chapters later for sale again, another 20 grand. Pissed me off since it gives a damage boost to the pulse rifle, which I like a lot.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
perineumlick said:
I had a glitch on the PS3 version where I bought the security suit, then bought the engineer suit right after for shits and giggles, then when I went back to re-equip the security suit it was gone. Just disappeared. Tried reloading my save, but no dice. It showed up 3 chapters later for sale again, another 20 grand. Pissed me off since it gives a damage boost to the pulse rifle, which I like a lot.

It happened to me on 360 as well.

I think if you buy two suits in a row, the original equipped suit disappears, I lost the advanced elite suit this way, and had to reload an earlier save.

Zeliard

Is the javelin gun worth getting? It's been sitting there in the store for a while now, beckoning me. I have visions of Painkiller's stake gun, but electrified.

LiK

Zeliard said:
Is the javelin gun worth getting? It's been sitting there in the store for a while now, beckoning me. I have visions of Painkiller's stake gun, but electrified.

great gun. watch them FLY!

and the shock splash damage is really great when there's a bunch of enemies in a small space.

Monkey Pants said:
Don't worry, it's all going somewhere. As for the last bit, Markers do not control Necromorphs. They don't cause them to come about or control them, although they do have effects on them.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. I've read this post like five times and all I can say is...The fuck?
Markers don't cause Necromorphs to come about? What does then? Where are they coming from? It's pure coincidence that they pop up where there is a Marker?

hermit7

Zeliard said:

I had it for a while, but ended up selling it so I could afford a better suit, and the Line Gun.

I hadn't upgraded it all the way, so YMMV but overall I felt that it was comparatively sub-par.

As a note though I never hold more than 2 weapons I just found the Line Gun better in those scenarios than the Javelin. The one thing that it is good is for is the little crawler packs that come out of Pregnants the Javelin's alt fire works wonderfully.

Monkey Pants

Gribbix said:
I found some interesting videos in the game files. There's some footage from the MoCap sessions as well as a different version of Daina (different model, different voice). I uploaded a few of them:

MoCap video 1
MoCap video 2
Different Daina

Does "Different Daina"s voice sound familiar? That's Sonita Henry, who plays Ellie in the final game. She did that video log for our E3 demo, because we didn't have Daina's casting down yet at the time.

GlamFM

Banned
Finished. What an awesome game. Going to jump right back in.

Never heard virtual surround sound of this quality in a game before.
Although I only have the build in speakers from my Plasma TV I still thought sound was coming from behind me. Creepy. Awesome.

Top Bottom