• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So, is Unitology really a commentary on Scientology? Let's ask Wright Bagwell, the creative director on DS2:

"We never really approach that discussion with the intention of poking fun at a particular religion, or sort of making a social statement about something that's going on right now," explained Bagwell. "For us, Unitology's purpose in the story represents people's illogical thinking about things they don't understand. It was never really intended to be a jab at any particular religion. I know people have said, 'Oh yeah, it's a jab at Scientology.' It was never really intended. I think people get that a lot because the name is very similar.

Oh, my kingdom for a smiley.

About to start DS2, but I just noticed 3 DLC packs on the Marketplace. Are those weapons and armor atainable by playing through the game? With EA I never know.

k0ji-wd

i was thinking that the game wasn't anywhere near as scary as the first game until I got to
The Ishimura
and everything afterwards. . .damn

As soon as I looked up and saw that giant Ishimura sign glowing brightly I was like 'oh shit'

Petrie

Banned
Can anyone tell me when I'll become aware if my Ignition unlocks happened? I had a save file about an hour in, the grabbed ignition and played far enough to have a save file. Reloaded my save and nothing is popping up, tried starting a new game and didn't see anything either. Am I doing something wrong? Is there no pop-up and it just happens?

TenshiOni said:
Haha, oh wow. Just beat the game on Zealot and earlier posters weren't kidding.

Seriously, if anyone had any problems with the final boss, just read this:

Contact Beam really does make it too easy. I literally stood still and shot the thing 6 times and won. One hit to Nicole was all it took to reveal the Marker's core and one hit at the core was enough to bring Nicole back. Only took 3 Charge Beam shots to the core and it was over. I only saw ONE of the little shadow kids before it was over. Fight took less than 15 seconds.

Now for Hardcore! Thinking about running just Plasma Cutter, Force Gun, and Contact Beam. Going to focus on upgrading the PC, RIG, and Stasis first. All left overs will go to the Contact Beam's alt fire and Force Gun. Probably gonna try to make it all the way to 10 before saving once. Definitely going to need a save before 13. Scared of dying in those red rooms.

Wait-on Hard Core can you carry over your upgraded weapons from the New Game+?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
luxarific said:
So, is Unitology really a commentary on Scientology?

Oh, my kingdom for a smiley.
Does EA really need to cover its ass about Unitology? Considering the size of the business you'd think they'd dodge any lawsuits from Clearwater. Plus a corporation who have committed so many crimes deserve a public knocking in response to the question, Redwood would get so much kudos from me at least.

The doctrine in the church is almost word-to-word high level Scientology. If they ever have complete protection from the government, infiltrators throughout society and country level wealth things just might be like in Dead Space. :/

Sorry, I get passionate on things like this.

Petrie said:
Can anyone tell me when I'll become aware if my Ignition unlocks happened? I had a save file about an hour in, the grabbed ignition and played far enough to have a save file. Reloaded my save and nothing is popping up, tried starting a new game and didn't see anything either. Am I doing something wrong? Is there no pop-up and it just happens?
There are no pop-ups (except when you first launch the game), they are just unlocked rooms with goodies and audio logs. There is one in the first chapter.

You might need to delete the DS2 save/prefs for it to look for the ignition save (not sure about this).

sam27368

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
They are retconning a bit I believe. One of the devs posts on somethingawful and said the first game was written without the expanded universe or sequels in mind. Furthermore the game itself was changed but not all the plot was (e.g.. originally the Marker was supposed to protect you during gameplay but this was dull and dropped, but not from the plot)
It doesn't seem impossible to finish up the story in DS3 but it's going to take some good imagination for those explanations.

One way would be to use the
black marker as a satellite to connect to all the other man made markers to create some kind of ultra field to quell the virus universe wide (or at least the areas effected). I don't get why Isaac was so intent on destroying the markers though. Surely once the outbreak has begun the markers are the only chance of survival.

Do you think it's worth starting a Dead Space story thread?

MDavis360 said:
Wait-on Hard Core can you carry over your upgraded weapons from the New Game+?
Nope. That's why I mentioned how I'm going to focus on upgrading the Plasma Cutter and RIG first for Hardcore. :p

Replicant

luxarific said:

Hell yeah. Of course EA will not admit it considering how batshit-insane Scientology followers are. But some of the reference notes/tapes Isaac finds throughout the game really do remind me of how Scientology brainwash its followers, etc.

Petrie said:

When you first redeem the other goodies (if you get the Collector's Edition version) through the shop, one of the flashing messages was that "You got hacker suit. Make sure you check the doors" or something to that effect.

I bought Ignition halfway through my 2nd playthrough. When I booted up the main game again it told me that I'd unlocked the Ignition content. I carried on my save as normal, Conduit doors now unlocked (well I've only encountered one so far). Didn't need to start again, delete any saves, or any of that stuff.

Edit: There's still some locked doors here and there, anybody know what those are about? Watching the GiantBomb Extraction QL Brad Shoemaker said something about DLC for DS2 that I hadn't heard about (
he said the female character in Extraction would feature in it
which implies that it would be single player).

Truant

Regarding Unitology, it's pretty cool that
Altman hated the whole concept and didn't want anything to do with it. He was just interested in learning about the Black Marker, and was not the charismatic cult leader the games hint at. Good stuff, Visceral!

judhudson

sam27368 said:
Do you think it's worth starting a Dead Space story thread?

Please do so, the storyline and the universe of Dead Space is extremely fascinating - I'd love for any of the developers to chime in as well - providing that they are within their limits of discussion.

I played Dead Space on PC, eagerly awaiting to pick up Dead Space 2 on PC when money allows, but I've read much of the storyline on the DS Wiki - the games, comics, and books. If they are all canon and working with each other, then wow. :)

sam27368

Banned
I'll get cracking on one tomorrow if people are happy with me doing one. I haven't finished Extraction or read the books/comics though.

Grisby

Truant said:
Regarding Unitology, it's pretty cool that
Altman hated the whole concept and didn't want anything to do with it. He was just interested in learning about the Black Marker, and was not the charismatic cult leader the games hint at. Good stuff, Visceral!

That was my favorite thing about the book. I actually felt for the guy at the end. On another note, I watched Aftermath and whoever green-lit the main animation they use for the story should be fired. The in-between stuff, I guess the stories that matter, all have some pretty decent animation going on but that CG shit is horrible.

Fun movie though, liked it better than Downfall.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man my Dead Space 2 is weird.

ds26rya.jpg

Just finished chapter 4 last night. Looking forward to number 5, I hear good things.

Loving the game so far, though I find I die more often than I expect to. Totally cool with it- it's just surprising me. I'm playing on Normal, and I beat the first Dead Space a couple of times, once on hard.

Having a hell of a time though.

And I'll say it again- try turning off the music in the game. You may find it more immersive.

REV 09

i freaking love this game. It's a huge step up from the first, which was already great.

Am i the only person who likes the multiplayer? It's very solid and a fun diversion. It definitely feels like Dead Space.

REV 09 said:
i freaking love this game. It's a huge step up from the first, which was already great.

Am i the only person who likes the multiplayer? It's very solid and a fun diversion. It definitely feels like Dead Space.

I think it's really solid.

Playing it with people on my friends list, with all of us communicating with one another really increases the opportunity to dominate the other team.

What what what? Communicating with your teammates helps in multiplayer? This might sound like crazy talk but I find that Dead Space 2 multiplayer might be the most rewarding multiplayer game out there at the moment when it comes to actually working as a team.

It's not quite as chaotic as Left 4 Dead, which I appreciate.

Hixx

This is so much better than the first one its silly. Disappointed the Plasma Cutter still seems to be THE gun to use though. A bit into chapter 7 now, some of the er, ammo(?) sponge enemies are a bit annoying but the pacing so far has been terrific.

eXistor

Finished it yesterday with (900/1000). It's a great game and a lot of things come down to personal preferences. To me, the first game was in almost every way superior. I hated Isaac's character in this, I would have preferred they kept him mute. The linearity of the game does work, but again, I prefer the structure of the first game. Also, while Dead Space was never subtle, every hint of it goes out the window with DS2, they just keep throwing monsters at you, hoping to get a scare (they never did). The one thing they improved massively is the Zero G parts, they were okay in the first game but are really something else in this. In the end I really like the game, but for me personally it has changed for the worse, not in a big way, but in several smaller ways.

Numpt3

Has anyone seen this yet? Girls dog breaks her copy of DS2, she bitches about it on twitter and.. well, just read it. I think I might get a dog, lol.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
m0ngo said:
Has anyone seen this yet? Girls dog breaks her 360, she bitches about it on twitter and.. well, just read it. I think I might get a dog, lol.

yeah that was posted a day or so ago, pretty cool nonetheless :)

m0ngo said:
Has anyone seen this yet? Girls dog breaks her copy of DS2, she bitches about it on twitter and.. well, just read it. I think I might get a dog, lol.

ARRGH!

I am SO fucking jealous.

I would mail them my copy of the game just to have them sign it...but then I couldn't play it and obsess over getting 1000/1000.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bigdaddygamebot said:
ARRGH!

I am SO fucking jealous.

I would mail them my copy of the game just to have them sign it...but then I couldn't play it and obsess over getting 1000/1000.

that's what two copies are for!

Dyno

I played the first three chapters of Dead Space: Extraction and I'm liking it! They made a decent railgun shooter with great atmosphere. I may sound weird stating this but it really is Dead Space. It tells an important story that give you a great appreciation of the whole.

Frester

m0ngo said:

I don't know if anyone clicked through to the whole story (I was taken to a Spanish site via Google) but this was at the end of it.

IjHnS.jpg

Numpt3

bigdaddygamebot said:
ARRGH!

I am SO fucking jealous.

Send the empty box. :p

Xater

Finished it after playing through Extraction first. Dead Space 2 is amazing, that is all. Don't really know if I will touch the multiplayer though. I tried it, it's alright but not something I can see myself play for along time.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
bigdaddygamebot said:
ARRGH!

I am SO fucking jealous.

You could just mail us the sleeve....

Muffdraul

luxarific said:

Somewhere there's an official Dead Space document that actually has one instance of the word "Scientology" where it's supposed to say Unitology. Wish to god I could remember where I saw it... I'm pretty sure it's in Dead Space 1 proper. If not, the only other sources I could have seen it in were the original comic from 2008 or the strat guide.

Trevelyon

~hyperventilates

Reached chapter 10 on hardcore, second save. God my nerves are wrecked, just a butt load of close shaves, it's not even funny. Dreading having to do the drill section, might just load the hell up on stasis and play it as safe as possible.

slewis7

I am quite a ways into chapter 5 and I am loving this, just like the first one. Kudos to the art team for the super cool environments, particularly all of the Unitology related stuff. The variety in the scenery is so much nicer then DS1.

ok people help me out here.

loved the start and it has great atmosphere and is polished like few others, BUT i'm really struggling to find a reason to keep going. the story is interesting enough i guess, but the the gameplay is getting really repetitive.

all it seems to be is going from A-B and shooting thing that either pop out of the wall or walk at you in strait lines (minus a few exceptions). does the gameplay change at all later in the game? just starting chapter 7.

Top Bottom